Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
Bell Channel Inn(Freeport)
Good 3.5/5
Royal Islander(Freeport)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewshayward forbestaxi driveryacht ownersbedroom unithot tubthe activities deskmovie nightgrouper fingersscuba shopon site restaurantwasher and dryergranite countertopsmain officerental carfull kitchensales peopledowntown freeport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I am not sure about the previous reviews that people have left. My husband and I have been going to Ocean Reef for 12 years. We have one of the penthouses but have also stayed in some of the other units. We have had one bad experience with a 3 bdrm townhouse but other than that the units have been remodeled in the past few years. The grounds are kept very clean. The pools do have some issues but so do most of the pools in the area. As for the person that suggested Island Seas, we also own there and it is the worse of the two. The location is great but the units are horrible. Housekeeping there is a joke. But that is another story altogether. We like being away from the tourist's and the beach is not far away. The lady that was afraid of the cats, yes there are pet cats at the resort but they do not harm you. As for the lizards, they will not harm you either. I have been going to the island for over 24 years and have yet to see a snake. My biggest fear is spiders and have only seen maybe 2 in all these years. I thank the lizards for that. If you are that afraid of cats, lizards, and snakes, I suggest that you stay at home. We love Ocean Reef, the staff is the best. We were there 4 times this year (2012) and will be going back as soon as we can. For those of you that don't like it, don't come back. Leave the beauty and the friendliness to those of us who appreciate it.

Room Tip: I don't think there are bad locations. Everyone has a view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Oceanreefer
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I am a member of Interval International and exchanged my week for a week at this resort, which was very disappointing. Property is not maintained very well. Cracked and broken tiles around property and in units. Hall and elevator carpets are filthy. Resort proclaims to have wi-fi, but it only worked 30% of the time I was there. The bedroom had no curtains, so I always had light coming into the room at night when trying to sleep. I could hear my neighbor through the walls, and not because she was loud. The balcony light came on automatically at dusk and remained on all night. The ceiling fan in the bedroom could not be turned off. And then the resort has the nerve to charge an energy surcharge because their electric bill has gone up. Front desk refused to do anything about the extra charge; it wasn't until I spoke to a supervisor that she calculated what it cost to run the light and ceiling fan and made a small deduction in my surcharge. What a rip-off. Finally, I had an opportunity to visit a couple other suites and when I did I discovered that their is inequality in room amenities; for example, my suite did not have a dishwasher or massage chair, but two other suites I visited had both. One guest had an old box TV in their suite and it wasn't until a complaint was issued that the maintenance department replaced it with a brand new flat screen.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank randyhively
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I was initially aprehensive about staying at ORYC (reading the negative reviews), but was just so pleased once we arrived. Everyone was friendly and helpful from start to finish. The large 2-BR ROOM was fantastic and I slept great...it's very quiet. We had a ground-floor end unit, so our patio was huge and had a nice view. There were several meet-and-greet activities planned by the resort, and it was fun meeting and hanging out with other guests. We didn't have a car, but made friends who did!
My friend and I are very active athletes, so we enjoyed using the (typically cheap!) resort bikes & kayaks. There's a secluded beach to jog to about a mile away, so did that a few times. Got fresh-cooked lobster at that beach, too. We took JC's (great guy!) East Island tour one day, and that was nice. We were active the entire time and enjoyed not being in the thick of things. The ferral cats (It's part of the island culture) were spayed & neutered (yay!) and were beautiful! Ester's fresh baked bread was a treat.
I travel a LOT and this was not a super-luxery resort, but they done well! Yes, it's an older resort, but they seem to be always making improvements. As for the time-share thing...seemed no different than any other high pressure TS sales...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank EvelynDN4cer
Reviewed 2 December 2012

From the very start of our stay at ORYC the staff (especially Hattie) always made every effort to be helpful with the exception of the girls behind the counter of the office who did no more than answer questions without any effort put out. The tours we booked where OK and the taxi service got us to where we needed to go when we needed to be there. The accommodations were above average with plenty of space and everything worked as it should. The location was very quiet and out of the way and that was to our liking. The yacht owners staying there were friendly and we had a good time visiting with them. The cost of food we purchased from the local store was extremely expensive as compared to US prices and the taxi service could have been cheaper too. The local bus service was on Bahama schedule and very inexpensive. The time share sells staff was a little too pushy and maybe a little less than honest with there facts and figures.

Room Tip: Our room was located on 2nd floor of main building and was quiet and very roomy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank kansastraveller2021
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We actually did not have a bad stay at ORYC. The staff was friendly, room was nice and amenities were okay. Definitely a nice place to relax. HOWEVER, at ALL costs, AVOID, DO NOT ATTEND the sales presentation on this property by the marketing team of APEX INTERNATIONAL MARKETING!! They did not mislead us, we did not misunderstand their intentions, they OUTRIGHT LIED TO US!! We did not find out about their deceit until 5 days after we got home and conveniently 4 days AFTER the opportunity to cancel our contract. As smooth as they are in the sales room they are just as good at playing dumb and trying to make it sound like we misunderstood. We have done our best to work with them to make this right but its been impossible. We refuse to pay another cent, we have filed our intentions to rescind the contract based on extreme misrepresentation of facts. One of the Sales guys even called our room one night to ask to borrow money!!

Our Apex International Marketing Scam team is....Lolita, Jewel Hana, EJ (Edgar Roberts II), Reggie and Bryant Pompey (Director of Marketing for AIM)

Our main objective now is to spare others from going through this experience. We would love to hear from other travellers who may have experienced the same thing at this resort. We have found a couple already!!

I wouldn't discourage you from staying at this resort....just STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE SALES ROOM!!
Don't hesitate to contact me for complete details of our experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
30  Thank Amandalee69
SEREBJ, Marketing Agency at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Thank you for your warm remarks in regard to the resort staff and the property amenities.

On behalf of Apex International Marketing I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the experience you outlined in your review. Please understand that our commitment to customer satisfaction is of utmost importance to us and to this end, you may rest assured knowing that a quick resolution to your situation will be found.

Based upon your city, the dates and the names of the persons you have named in your comments, we should be able to find your information in our system in order to launch and full investigation and bring proper resolution to this matter.

I think it is also important to note that over the past three years we have handled thousands of prospects and buyers at the resort with the degree of professionalism that has not only limited negative remarks being posted online but have also earned us a good reputation within our owner-base and the local business community.

I look forward to regaining your trust and confidence quickly.