This was our first vacation outside of Canada and we were mostly satisfied with our stay at ORYC. We stayed at a condo-like room on the first floor, which was outfitted with a spacious bedroom, jaccuci tub, bathroom, kitchen, living room and patio. We were extremely comfortable in the room and found that it was perfect for our stay.
Highlights of Pros:
- very friendly and helpful staff
- close to the bus route (which is much much more affordable than taxis!)
- quiet location
- lots of planned activities in the evening (although we opted out of most of them)
- spacious rooms with all the amenities we needed
-cheap bike rentals, which are handy transportation (*see the cons note on these bikes)
- the grocery run on Monday morning was very helpful for getting snacks and food that we used throughout the week
-absolutely NO sightings of bugs or other creepy crawlies inside out room
Highlights of Cons:
- first of all, we happened to be there during an unexpected cold front so we spent a few days indoors and more bundled up than we had hoped!
- the room wasn't extremely clean upon our arrival. It almost appeared as though it hadn't been stayed in or cleaned in quite a while. It wasn't terrible but there was quite a build up of dust on the ceiling fan, baseboards and bathroom. A quick wipe down solved this problem but it would have been nice if it was done prior to our arrival. We didn't bother telling the staff of this issue because we quickly took care of it ourselves.
- the bikes were in awful shape just from not being well maintained. They got us where we wanted but not after having to stop at a store to borrow a wrench to tightening some bolts. They did work but were not the most pleasurable ride
- the location was not extremely close to the beach. It was about a 15/20 min walk to the nearest beach, a 5 min bike ride or a 2 minute bus/taxi ride. It was a bit further to get to Port Lucaya, which is the closest main beach and shopping center
- we found the restaurant was overpriced for the quality of the food. On average, their meals were about $20/person but we went to other places on the island that were quite a bit cheaper and tasted better
-our room was right next to the laundry room and every morning at about 8am there was various traffic with loud rolling carts and workers talking right outside out room. This woke both of us up every morning earlier than we would have liked
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Reef Yacht Club And Resort
- Ocean Reef Yacht Club Hotel Freeport
- Ocean Reef Yacht Hotel
- Ocean Reef Yacht Resort
- Bahamas Ocean Reef Yacht Club
- Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island