“March 09-12th”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Richmond, Virginia
“March 09-12th”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I think the 3 star rating is accurate. My husband and I read lots of reviews on here. I was a little worried but overall our stay was good.

Room: We paid for an ocean view room but the first room we were given was a trapeze view room. This was corrected within a few minutes. We stayed in the Bimini building. Room was updated, I think. No issues with hot water, telephones, etc.

Food: Buffet was average, nothing to write home about. We did try the 2 restaurants. I didn't really like either of them, although my husband did. The food on the beach was average. I will say that the late-night pizza was great!!!

Drinks: Definitely bring your own cups (big ones!!!). The drinks were okay but there isn't a lot of variety to be had. I highly recommend bringing straws. I wish I had bought a box and took them with us.

Staff: The staff was okay for the most part. I will say that there is one woman that works at Guest Services and she is extremely unfriendly and very difficult to interact with. Wow....I can't believe that somebody so rude can hold a job in guest services. Yikes....seriously watch out for her!

Beach: Absolutely beautiful. The best thing that this resort has going for it. Soft white sand. Swimming/wading around in the water is a challenge because it's extremely rocky but the water is clear and you can see fish swimming right near you.

Port Lucaya isn't really worth a visit. It's just a bunch of vendors selling the same stuff for different prices. If you like to gamble, the casino is worth a visit though.

My biggest tip is DO NOT GO THERE IN MARCH to avoid the college students on Spring Break. Another tip is do not go here with kids. We have kids and I am sure that they would not have had a good time had they accompanied us. There really isn't anything for them to do and this applies to children of all ages.

Room Tip: Avoid guest services if you can. Bring your own cups and bring straws too! Check your bill because w...
1 Thank Caribbean S
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort as your vacation destination.

We are thrilled to read how much fun you had whilst staying here, especially to see that you enjoyed our amenities provided for you, such as your room, the food in our restaurants, especially the late night pizza and of course our beautiful beach.

We apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations. We are in constant training with all our staff members in each department, by reading your review, this can help us to maintain and improve for the better in the future. Thank you for your candor and your patience with us. We appreciate and wish to retain our valued patrons.

In the meantime, we wish to again, sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or discomfort caused, but are still glad to see that all in all you had a good experience with us.

On behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your review also, for all our upcoming guests to read. It is always appreciated.

Best regards

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Hungarian first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

My wife and I were here March 1st through the 6th. I too did a lot of research and was a bit leary based on some of the reviews. But, in my experience many reviews I read that have the cautionary tale or "dont go here" or "I hated it" are based on expectations beyond what one pays and we all know that you get what you pay for. Now for my review.

We were already in Florida for some business meetings so we decided to go to the Bahamas immediately following for some relaxation. I liked the fact that The Wyndham Fortuna Beach was close to the airport, right on the beach and an all-inclusive. We usually don't go to all inclusives, think we've been to two before, but wanted a place we didn't have to leave and wasn't going to get gouged by restaurants on the property or close by.

The flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport on Bahamas Air was 30 minutes. Immigration was efficient and the taxi ride to the hotel was quick and only $25. Our driver said it was a flat fee.

The lady at the desk was not a hospitable person, and I had a hard time getting her to smile, but she was efficient and not rude. Since we arrived before the 3pm they gave us our wrist bands, suggested we change into swim suits/shorts a t-shirt and comfy shoes so we could begin to take advantage of the facilities immediately. There is a restroom right off the main lobby where we changed and then the nice folks at the desk on the opposite side of the lobby held our luggage until our room was ready.

By the way, it seems that the only restroom on site, other than in your room, are the ones off the main lobby. It would be nice if they had some closer to the beach area. Just an FYI.

One thing I need to mention at this point in the review. This resort is part of the Viva Wyndham Resort Club. Translation, you WILL get approached very early on upon arrival by someone, usually a woman, that is very friendly and asks a lot of questions. That's the indication that this is the person that will try real hard to sign you up for an appointment to learn more about buying into their vacation club and offer a few items in return for your time. They are not the pushy time share folks I have encountered in other places. If you are not interested or not sure if they are the vacation club sales people just ask or say so. They are polite and won't give you a hard time if you decline.

After we changed we went right to the beach. It was after lunch had stopped being served in the main dining hall, and we were hungry. There is a beach bar and also a small snack bar where you can get burgers, dogs, chicken fingers and fries, The service is slow but with a drink in your hand and the beautiful ocean just a head turn away it's not bad. I would like to suggest to the management that they seriously consider adding another person to the snack bar. There was a girl that seemed to assist but what they really need is a second order taker/grill person/expediter.

The bar tenders all seemed very friendly regardless if you were at the beach bar or the main bar. The plastic cups they use are SMALL so bring your own, they will fill whatever you give them, or buy one from the few folks that sell them as well as t-shirts and other stuff on the beach. They have two local beers on tap that were refreshing. The liquor isn't medium or top shelf but it's fine for mixed drinks and didn't appeared to be watered down or diluted. The wine was very mediocre but it was drinkable and that was OK for me. I always tipped a buck or two and know it was appreciated. WE also tipped the housekeeper a few bucks each day. There is no pressure to tip so do as you please.

Our first meal was dinner. The food was fine. Plenty of it and if you read of complaints I can almost guarantee it's from people that were expecting gourmet meals at a budget all-inclusive. Or they are just prone to complain. Choices were abundant and it seemed to me that there was something for everyone. Full disclosure, I am not a picky eater.

One night they had a martini bar set up in the dining room but other than that the only other alcoholic beverages that were available were red and white wine from little wooden casks. It would be nice if they had a bar in the dining room but the main bar wasn't that many steps away. The servers were all polite, nice and efficient.

The same comments about the food hold true for breakfast and lunch. Plenty of food and choices.

We had a room on the second floor of one of the buildings more to the far right of the resort if you were looking towards the ocean. From what I could tell all rooms face the ocean but some have better views than others. All room also seemed to have balconies or terraces. We could see some ocean and that was fine for us. We really only sat on the balcony when we'd come back from the beach or in the morning for a few moments before going to breakfast.

The room was OK. I could see that other buildings were getting refreshed with new furniture and beds. Our room had not been refurnished yet but it was acceptable none the less.

The beach is wonderful. Nice powdery sand and plenty big. The water is is beautiful. The only time I went in was when I did some scuba diving. There is a PADI dive shop on the premises and the folks that work there are great!!! One of the dives was to a spot called Shark Alley and yes, we did see and swim amongst sharks..big sharks.

After there a day and a half the spring breakers arrived. The resort set aside a separate section at the main bar for "regular" guests to get a drink. It was never a problem. The beach bar lines did get long and it would have been nice if they could have added some more help there.

It appeared that there were plenty of activities for "regular" guests and spring breakers though my wife and I were there to relax and take it easy. The shows there were entertaining and fun. The gang really works hard to do a good job and get the audience involved. We weren't there for shows and this found this to be a bonus. If we want to see a show we'll go to Broadway.

Check-out was a breeze and so was the trip back to the airport. We went through US Customs and Immigration in Freeport so when we got back to Florida there were no hassles or delays. From Florida we took a flight back to Philadelphia.

So, in summary, the resort is a value, the food is good and plentiful but not gourmet, people nice and helpful, good beaches and awesome dive shop. The facility itself isn't new or sparkling but it's a great value and my wife and I would definitely go back.

10 Thank dfgdave
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.

It is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their vacation experience with us at our resort and the amenities provided for you all.

Also we are thrilled to read that you enjoyed our food and beverage variety as well as your room and our shows performed by our animation staff. It is nice to receive the recognition of their hard work to perform the dances.

We appreciate your comments concerning the situation of the public bathrooms. We would like to let you know that since your stay we build new bathrooms right next to the pool and beach to better serve our guests.

On behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your positive review also, for all our upcoming guests to read. It is always appreciated.

We would love to welcome again with us in our resort. Don’t hesitate to contact us at guestfortuna@vivaresorts.com if we can assist you with anything. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Kindest regards

usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

First, I want to mention the good things about this hotel. The location right on the beach is great, the ocean is beautiful, grounds are clean and the entertainment was great. The food and drinks were not good even for a "budget" all inclusive hotel. When we arrived about 9:30 pm we checked in and wanted to get a drink and bite to eat. The "Disco" bar was setting up and the bartender told us to go to main bar. We went to main bar, stood at bar a few minutes then the lights over the bar were turned off and we were told that bar was closed. We were told to go to "Disco" bar the same bar that was not opening for another 30 Min. You couldn't even get a water or soda anywhere. We did ask a bellman if there was a place to get anything to drink, even water. He was the most helpful and actually left and returned with 2 waters and 2 rum and cokes. We asked where we could get a bite to eat. The ONLY choice was the pizza place. From 10:00 pm til 2:30 am the only food choice is pizza. The pizza was good but I would like more options. We had breakfast lunch and dinner at buffet. Wide selection of food just not good and many items that should be hot were cold. We did eat at Italian place, which was the best meal. After the lunch buffet closes at 2:30 , your only food options are burgers, hot dogs, fries and chicken nuggets at the pool bar until 5:30. There were several guests who purchased their own liquor/beer from nearby store. Bringing your own booze was accepted at hotel from what I saw. I would stay here again and bring my own booze. We did not go into town since our stay was so short, But the food choices there have to be better.
Another issue was there was no phone in our room when we checked in. I told the front desk and they brought a phone. The phone did not work, when you picked it up the cord fell out.
I did read many reviews before I booked this hotel, most were good. I arrived with an open mind expecting a good experience. We were there from Thursday evening late until Sunday afternoon. I am glad we didn't book a longer stay at this hotel. I am sure that are better choices for just a little more money.
I have stayed at an all inclusive hotel only once before. It was Dreams in Mexico. The drinks were great, premium liquor and frozen drinks made to order. The food was good and many options were available 24 hours a day. The cost was maybe an extra $300 per person for 3 nights. Spend the extra, you get what you pay for.

5 Thank usanetty
Dear Guest

We would like to start with a thank you, for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach resort as your vacation destination.

We apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations. However, concerning our food and beverage departments, each guest is unique and has different expectations. Our cuisine offers a great variety of options every day in meats, pasta, fish, salads, desserts and appetizers. Although we truly regret you could not find something of your preference.

We would like to apologize as well for the inconveniences caused by the phone not working in your room. We would like to let you know that we already forwarded your comment to the departments involved in order to prevent this from happen in the future.

We regret not having an opportunity to meet with you while you were on property, not to mention systems in place to address each concern as they arise. More importantly, we believe that our invaluable clients are deserving of a worry-free vacation.

Although we cannot change what has happened in the past, we will utilize your comments for improvement in the future.

On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to apologize once more for the uncomfortable experience you encountered with us, yet we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Arlington, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We recently spent a week in Freeport w/ 4 other couples and their kids, thinking this would be great. with all the Fun family activities, kids club, canoes,snorkeling,etc...Not the case at all.While our kids ages 6-13 still enjoyed the trip, It was us the parents ages 27-34 freaking out.I totally understand it's spring break but thats no excuse for the Language in the music playing or the activities being performed poolside at Noon when children are present, The beach the night of their beach bonfire..(lets just say Daddys angels were no more) For it being stated this is a resort that can cater to the family, it definetly is not in the Spring Break season.they cater to the younger crowd the party crowd.The drinks were medeoker just bottom shelf w/ no options of upgrades, drinks served in 8oz cups( buy a bigger cup from the shop for $12 or $8 on the beach.If you want a good drink head into town We bought this package all inclusive although there are tips jars everywhere because the sell different packages and also have Cruise Ship patrons come in for the day and use the facilitiesThe Resort staff was usually rude( i believe 2 months of spring Breakers just wares on them)The Frond Desk is just slooooow at all they do so try not to be in a rush..Our beach front room was georgeous but halls to our corridor loud at night w/ all the spring breakers yelling and slamming doors.( youd think they would try to seperate families from party crowds but oh well.The buffet was ok at times, and never seemed to get better.The asian restaraunt was great but not enough variety.We did not eat at the Italian but heard it was ok. The pizza Oven was the best, so we shuttled pizza back and forth to the kids rather than them see the craziness that time of night.The hot tubs stayed full but closed early @ night???? Security would kick you out.Some of the Shows were not kid appropriate so we had to leave.We did do scuba and must admit Tyson and the crew they have there are Great ( cant even try to complain)Tyson also was the guide who took our crew Snorkeling w/ the kids and they just had a blast.There are 2 restaurants down the beach you need to try.( the Sandba)r food ok but Pina Coladas are off the Hook The others is Merthas right next door.Great seafood if you dont mind the wait..but well worth it for a true Bohemian meal. also(2 lobster tails and salad $15) just cant beat it and they have other entrees I ot the seafood platter for $25 ( 2 lobster tails Pasta ,fried Conch...Awesome).Great local hangout if your looking to enjoy quiet time w/ the Family/friends and good food.In Port Lucaya Pisces is a great restaraunt also but a little more costly.In all we made the trip work and made sure the kids had a good time.But this resort could be so much better if they found a way to cater to both sides.

JAkk Rodriguez

Room Tip: If there are no spring breakers the B1113/B1114/B1115/ are all great Beachfront away from the main s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

3 of us booked a cheap all inclusive 4 night break at the Viva Wyndham thru American Airlines hotel service. Having read the reviews I was a little concerned about our stay here and to be honest I was not the happiest here. The good points to start with - the staff here are exceptional, especially the bar staff who serve up the best cocktails. Apart from that... mmm I met some really nice people from the States I hope I will meet with again somewhere else. Another good point was that when we were leaving they appeared to be doing lots of work in refurbishing the rooms, new beds, bathrooms, lcd tvs, etc.

SO onto the bad! We had to switch rooms on arrival. Our first room which was fairly basic we could not operate the shower. Reception staff told us when we complained you have to really yank the shower handle to get it to work.. I was noot having any of that! The other big reason we left this room was because the extractor fan in the shower had no cover and there was a live loose wire hanging out! Probably would not have killed us but given us a nice shock in the shower.. but health and safety clearly was not high on this hotel's agenda! The room phone did not work.. apparently they were having problems with their provider. Bizarre that reception phones were working tho. Think this could be a ruse to stop people from phoning quickly to complain about stuff as it's a bit of a walk back to reception.

I think this hotel would have been great 20 years ago.. however not now and with rubbish in various rooms the staff work out of, great piles on phone directories outside rooms and concrete falling off under the ceiling and steel rods poking out under stair wells, fire extinguishers that are in the red... their was part of our container lorry parked in the middle of a lawn abandoned behind a tree!

Our new room was a bit better.. the furniture looked like it may fall apart at any time, the pictures were skew wiff, the mosquito guard on the balcony door was not attached to the door.. oh and our bathroom door handle was coming off so every day we got locked in there.. until finally someone came and fixed it. The toilet was hanging off the wall and the electric socket was so pushed in to the wall I nearly lost my hair dryer. The a/c worked ok. The tv was from the 1960s but worked! Actually the beds were quite comfy. Not sure if you are meant to pay to use the safe but our receptionist gave us a deal foor 4 nights.. when actually all you need to do is plug in your own code! The shower worked though and had no loose wires!

Pool was good. The beach was nice however take water shoes or you may end up getting your feet ripped apart like one of my friends did. There are lots of activities to get involved in and it all seems better after a few dozen cocktails. We played table football, darts, took part in karaoke and listened to 2 minutes of a show which was slightly a shambles!

Food wise this hotel did not excel in this department. The buffet was ok. The speciality restaurants were ok. However they do have the best lady cooking eggs in the morning - I think her name was Laverne.

I went to the gym a few times.. this needs updating. You do gain extra from your workout as it is so hot in here due only to a few fans on the ceiling and no a/c.

If you don't have any expectations from coming here, maybe you will enjoy it and meet nice new friends and experience the good hospitality from their staff. However if like me you are used to a fairly good level of standards you will be disappointed. Having fillled in the comments card when I left in February I am still awaiting a response from the hotel. Maybe I might get one now...

Room Tip: check the shower, check the electrics and anything else you cannot live without before you unpack!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank anon19
Dear Guest

We truly apologize for all the inconveniences you have encountered during your stay, especially all the different issues in your room. We would like to let you know that we are in fact in the process of upgrading big parts of our resort, as well in the rooms as in public areas. We still regret the discomfort you have encountered.

We are still glad to read though that you enjoyed our beautiful beach, as well as the pool and our staff.

Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

We came with a party of 12 on spring break. The service was terrible, the staff was inhospitable, the rooms were dated. There was nothing benefiting about the vacation. I live in Atlanta and travel frequently. I have had bad vacations before but nothing like this. Lines are long, the staff is rude. They get your money before you receive the services and it puts them in a power position to take advantage of you. I felt like I was a child the entire time and needed to perform well(treat the staff with more respect than they were treating me) in order to receive services. I hope this message convinces people not to use this resort.

Room Tip: Rooms were assigned before the trip. You have no voice at this resort.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Angela W
Dear Guest

We apologize for the long lines that you encountered in restaurant and bar. Unfortunately in times of full occupancy at peak times, this is a fact that will occur. We regret any discomfort caused by this.

In the meantime, we wish to again, sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or discomfort caused, and hope that you will consider returning for a true and positive experience as we have some wonderful developments on the way to better serve our invaluable guests.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to say thank you once more for your honest review and for your generous hospitality.

Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

My boyfriend booked this trip and after reading the reviews, I was weary. Having been to one all-inclusive resort in Mexico in the past (that received 4-5 star reviews but had inedible food and drinks), I really thought this place was going to be terrible.
I was extremely pleasantly surprised. The beaches, food and drinks were great- and by great, I mean fully edible, big selection and came with real alcohol. The site looked nice. The staff was friendly-ish, and they had a lot to do (bocce ball, trivia, basketball, volleyball, shows, exercise classes, yoga.)
To be fair, the rooms aren't nice and the beds are weird- BUT- when I'm on a carribean trip, I don't care that much about the room.
I would definitely go back and recommend it to others. For the price, it was a steal.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ErinDenver
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read how you and your Boyfriend enjoyed your vacation experience with us at our resort and the amenities provided for you all as well as the activities, food and drinks and that we really surprised you and cover all expectations of a 3 Start Resort.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you once more for your honest review and for staying here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.