“Loved It !!!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
New Jersey, USA
“Loved It !!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Great resort for the value, i had an amazing time there! My room - in A building - perfect view of garden and beach, shower was big and had great temp & water pressure, comfy bed and pillows, flat screen tv w/ many channels & very good reception, A/C worked great, and the maid cleaned it so nicely every day! I heard ppl complain about their rooms in building C, so best to steer away from that bldg. The beach is beautiful! Ocean is rocky, so wear aqua shoes, i did and it was fine. The food is really good, esp. the breakfast buffet, the burgers/dogs/nuggets/fries at the beach grill, and the late-night pizza. Definitely make reservations at the Italian & the Asian restaurants, really good, esp. the Asian, i went twice :) Order the spring roll, the california roll, the chicken skewers, and the miso soup ... all delicious. The activity staff are fabulous! Great fun playing games by the pool or on the beach ... Zumba in the pool was so much fun, and their shows every evening were very good. The guys are especially good dancers. The Comedy Show was esp. good, so so funny, and the Michael Jackson Show rocked!!! The Front Desk Staff could be a bit warmer and courteous, all other staff very nice, esp. housekeeping, wait staff, and bartenders. The drinks are good, esp. Bahama Mamas and Sex On The Beach!!! Bring your own plastic cups as they have only 8oz-cups (i brought 18oz. Solo Cups ~ they fill anything, and add more liquor if you request it) Make your own Bloody Mary station in the a.m. at Main Bar was awesome. Ohh and the coffee & tea station near main bar is fantastic, great selection and delicious coffees. The weather was fantastic, the beach chairs (and pool chairs) were plentiful. The grounds are well-maintained, & every area is clean, esp. public bathrooms ... always clean! The hot tub is wonderful, although there were a couple times it was hot, but eventually they got to it, never a problem. I did Archery which was great fun, actually hit the target 2x's of 6 tries, really nice instructor. Overall it was a very pleasant experience & lots of fun! I'd definitely go back!

Room Tip: Get a room in the 'A' Building ... renovated rooms and nice view of the gardens and beach, a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank TeresaTravels2
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination!

It is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their vacation experience with us at our resort and the amenities provided for them.

We are also thrilled to read how you enjoyed our food and beverage variety as well our daily activities program and shows performed by our animation staff; It is very nice to receive the recognition of their hard work to perform the dances.

On behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your positive review also, for all our upcoming guests to read. It is always appreciated.

We would love to welcome again with us in our resort. Don’t hesitate to contact us at guestfortuna@vivaresorts.com if we can assist you with anything. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Kindest regards

Freeport, Grand Bahama, The Bahamas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Hungarian first
Paris, France
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Great for the price. If you are looking for luxury, don't come here, but for a family vacation, it is a very good place. The beach is beautiful. To have oceanview from your bed is a great experience. We were there in April and the hotel was not crowded (no line!). The food in the main restaurant is good even if the desserts could be improved. There is a very friendly staff in the restaurants and beach areas. There is a Padi Diving center in the resort with great staff and equipment. I recommend it 100%. The diving sites are very nice. Ask for a dive at Sharks Alley!
We have only two negative points to mention, the front desk staff definitely need a training for cheerful and welcoming, and sometime basic politeness. Second point, avoid The Asian restaurant. This experience is very surprising, the salmon was not some kind of white fish and the lychees salad made of watermelon without lychee…

Room Tip: Rooms next to the bar are very noisy. The disco is at the bar area (open space) from 11:30 to 2pm.
1 Thank ErnestTito
Clarksburg, Maryland
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Viva for a last minute long weekend in March. Luckily it was at the tail end of the spring break, so it quieted down after our first night. I am not sure why people are complaining about the staff. From checkin through checkout, all of the staff (including the front desk) were very pleasant. We unfortunately did not get one of the refurbished rooms because we did a last minute deal through travelocity and the front desk stated that all refurbished rooms had to be requested through your travel agent. Our room was clean but in disrepair, with the clothes hanger rod missing, clothes hangers thrown all over the closet, the refrigerator in the room did not work and was rusty. With that being said, the room was very clean and the maids did a great job cleaning up each day. The door adjoining the two rooms was a single door, so you can hear every word of your neighbors conversations, etc. The air conditioner was also extremely loud (which helped to drown out noise from the neighbors) but also went on and off every 5-10 minutes waking you up as is did so. We did not spend much time in the room anyway, so none of this made us that unhappy.
The food was ok. If you eat at some of the chain buffets, it was probably like that. They had plenty of fruits and vegetables, side dishes, chicken/fish/meat and even a pizza and pasta bar with dinner. Drinks were plentiful and well made, especially once you got to know the bartenders. We brought our own plastic insulated cups, so that helped us to stay out of the lines and spend time at the activities or on the beach. We went to spend time on the beach and de-stress for a few days, so this fit our needs.

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room at booking. They will not accommodate your request at checkin.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hammond, WI
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We have had our vacation booked for almost one year before we arrived and I was quite worried with all of the poor reviews that I had read, especially, since I did not know what to expect when traveling with small children, so I hope my review will help answer some of the questions I had.

We travled with a total of 13 people: Ages 10 months to 83 years old. My husband and I brought our 3 1/2 year old and 10 month hold. We were very pleased with everthing at this resort. There is plenty to do for all ages.

For the small stuff: Food great, every day, rooms updated and very clean: Stayed in the Abaco building-beach front right up to the door! Entertainment, like a high school play but very funny and entertaining. All staff was very friendly and helpful.

Now for my tips:

1. Life jackets: they have children and infant sizes at the snorkel/windsurf shack on the beach

2. Sand toys: you can get them from the towel stand at the pool, if they do not have any, they will bring them from the kids club or if you prefer, you can buy them from the store on site.

3. Food: Plenty of things to choose from: cold cereal, fresh fruit, pancakes, french toast, eggs, hot dogs, chicken nuggets... plenty of milk and it is pasturized, etc..comes from the states and is Vitamin D, whole milk.

4. At the latte bar in the bar, they sterilized my bottles using the steamer/water container. Very nice staff, they offered, i didn't even have to ask.

5. Had a fridge in our room, but no microwave. We had two queen beds, the king rooms had a microwave

6. Have the front desk request Adrian when needing transportation. He brought us to the Lucayan National Park and Gold Rock Beach, he gave us a tour and history of the place without expecting extra payment. He is AWESOME and is originally from Florida and moved to the Bahamas 7 yrs ago. He's is independent from the cab companies and gives you top notch service.

Remember, you are on island time... and if you approach and treat people with respect, you for sure get the same. We are already planning our return

4 Thank LindsayandJim
Newbury, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I was more than disappointed as we had been to Freeport a few times before and loved it. That was back when the All Inclusive Princess existed. We liked the All Inclusives because of convenience. So we arrive at this resort and are greeted with a not so friendly, "check in isn't until 3:00, you can come back then", it was about 2:30. The staff is just rude. We get checked in, then were immediately "attacked" by a woman who insisted we sign up for a free mug...IF we promise to attend a sales pitch for a time share. We said no and she just wouldn't back off. Not a very warm welcome. There was no offer of a complimentary welcome drink which was minor but we did see some people getting them as we left. The drinks were served to them by a poorly dressed man who I think doubled as a maintenance worker, or at least that would describe his attire. The real issues started upon arrival to our room with the first flush of the toilet overflowing everywhere. There was a mere one towel, no washcloths. The maid was in the next room and she "yelled" to a co-worker to get a plunger. that took about ten minutes...they are in no hurry. I asked for more towels and wash cloths, she gave me one towel. We continued to have toilet overflows for the next four days! My husband had to take toilet paper from the open room next door and I went to the housekeeping closet and got our towels myself. No one came by on days 2 or 3 to clean, make beds, replenish supplies etc. On my trip to the housekeeping closet, I saw a worker and asked him if they clean the rooms daily and he said, "maam, I was off for two days but I am back to work now". So I guess when someone is off, no one cleans! We complained to "Guest Services" and got nothing but attitude. Other guests we met had the same or similar experience. The room was nothing special, nothing like the advertised pictures. Holes in the wall with wires hanging out, noisey a/c, and you can hear every word spoken in the next room so NO privacy. The food was also disappointing, no seafood and not very fresh with the exception of the two fancier restaurants. Buffet food was bordering on gross. As others have stated, the drinks at the bar are served in blue plastic cups about the size of a juice glass. As an added bonus, some of my drinks had sand in the bottom, a special touch which made me wonder if the cups were even washed. The staff doubles as entertainers, and the entertainment was not so good. On the upside, the beach was beautiful with lots of chaise lounges that filled quickly. Bottom line is we were fooled by the "Wyndham" name thinking it would be luxurious, we were wrong.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pamela D

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Delaware, USA
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Recipe for Fun at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach:

1. Transportation: Do not pay ahead for transportation to/from airport ($31 for 4 each way by ANY taxi)... Taxi to shopping is $21 each way...

2. Service: Be Friendly and ENJOY your trip and relax (the staff will respect a smile and someone that is enjoying themselves versus ALL the people that DEMAND service)...We had GREAT SERVICE
a. Ladies at desk help with whatever you need....just ask and dont expect top service when 50 people are checking in. I actually had a nice laugh with one over a silly issue that could have been made bad and it was nobody's fault.
b. The service people at the food areas are so sweet and nice but are directed not to make small talk with the guests (so remember they are quiet on purpose so we are not bothered). But they will talk to you and are VERY nice when you do. (Ashley and Reginald were extra special)
c. Bartenders are very good and fast (Huey was my favorite). They can make anything you want and have some specials (just ask). You do NOT have to tip to get great service (these bartenders worked as hard for everyone and did not ignore anyone). We tipped at end of week but we did not feel we had to)
d. Ontario and Sebastian on beach are soooo nice and friendly and they never get any recognition but they will talk to you for a minute while they collect ALL the cups and trash on the beach.
e. Our Maid (Carol) was so nice and kept the sand out of our room and we never ran out of towels. She was so friendly and nice and helped with whatever we needed.
f. Photo crew are so nice (Audley, Godfrey, and Jewell) and you can have them take your picture and they know the best places. We bought a CD for a good price of our whole week plus a special photo shoot.
g. Animation Crew....THE BEST....They are soooooo nice and entertaining and friendly... They talk and kid around and really make everyone feel good. And they also have to entertain at night which that all work so hard to entertain. (Pudgie and Capi are especially nice) with Devid and Sanjay at the beach sports are very nice people.

3. Room: Nice room for a 3 star. We had a room A1210 and it was facing the ocean and the view was so nice and on the outside of the property so it was quiet and nice. The air conditioner will drown out most sound. Hot water never ran out with 4 of us. Porch was roomy and nice to watch the waves in am with a cup of coffee. Safe in room easy to use and I recommend using it (flat fee at beginning of trip). Plenty of closet and room for clothing. Ironing board and Iron with blow dryer worked well. TV on wall had alot of Miami stations and cable. Bathroom has night light and drapes cover out ALL the light in morning.

4. Beach: We brought towels to distinguish our chairs in am. We had 4 right outside our room and next to water. Spacing is very good so people are not on top of you. Enough cover for those that do not want sun every minute (some with little tables for drinks). Water shoes are a VERY good idea because at low tide the rocks appear and hard to walk in water. The beach front is groomed every morning and very soft sand. The roped off area has a reef with alot of fish. Snorkling is very good here. The view and overall "tropical view" is amazing. I run and the beach is so nice (from point to point is 6 km).

5. Food: Plenty and often....We were never hungry or tired of food.
a. Breakfast had everything (even when we went at end of breakfast) and if they are out just ask. Ladies making omelettes and eggs are quick and very good. Enough fruit and cereal and the basics.
b. Lunch has two options. Cafeteria with all the chooses (hot and cold) and they change it up each day. Or you can get a burger/hotdog/chicken fingers and fries from the outside bar. All very good.
c. 2 restaurants (with day or 2 before reservations) and cafetera. We did it all and good food and service. Cafeteria changes it up daily and we could always find a variety of meals to try and eat. (Desserts were OK but not the best in my opionion which was good because that would have added pounds to me). The selection of cakes needed to be moister and the chocolate treats were not chocolate enough for us....most carribean islands seem to have problems with chocolate treats weather it is ice cream, cakes, pies, or other and my family and I do not know why???? (just an observation)
d. PIZZA time.....at 11:30pm the pizzeria opens for delicious pizzas. You will have to wait in line and the people can get quite upset with the line order and how much a person takes....but it is worth every bite....

6. Activities: Animation staff does a great job of getting people involved and excited. They have many activities throughout the day. We did beach volleyball, yoga, water polo, trapeze (allot of that) and all the other little games and fun you want to do.

7. Other Items:
a. Cruise people. The resort gets groups of cruise ship excusion people in 3 times a week to enjoy the resort. They pay a fee and have the green bands on and use all the facilities. On these days I would recommend getting to the beach and claim you spot. (the cruisers do NOT care if there is a towel on it they will move it). They drink allot and can be obnoxious but the beach is very large and we did not have any problem avoiding them. Remember that they leave around 3pm to get back to the boat so you will be at peace after that.
b. Bring you own large cup. They bartenders will happily fill up your cup and if you have a cover and straw please take them off before the bartender fills it (sanitary thing). A large thermal cup with straw is the best i found.
c. Compliment them on the cleaniest of the bathrooms.... They are constantly cleaning the public restrooms....
d. Coffee....they have good coffee in the cafeteria and the milk is heated and next to the coffee (nice touch). No splenda (I brought my own). But the expesso bar in the general area is outstanding. We had lattes every night and they ground the beans fresh....VERY NICe TOUCH.
e. Bring a sweater. The breeze can be cooler at night (we went in April) and there are bon fires and night activities near the water you do not want to miss.

General Comments: We are a family of four and we felt save with the teenagers roaming the area at night. We have been before and knew what to expect. We felt we got the MOST out of our money and we have been to several "All Inclusives" and this have the most for the money.
Number One Advise.......RELAX, ENJOY, and HAVE FUN (sound preachy but sooooo many people stress over the little thinks here that they miss be bigger picture of why you are here).

Room Tip: There are 3 sections A, B, and C. We liked the A side because it is close to everything. But the i...
5 Thank philleende
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort as your vacation destination.
We are thrilled to read how much fun you and you family had whilst staying here, especially to see that you enjoyed our amenities provided for you, such as the water sports activities, entertainment like the games around the areas and the trapeze of curse, and glad to hear about the great recognition of hard work from one and each of them of our splendid staff in our Resorts, and that you also enjoyed our meals in our restaurant and our late night Pizza,
We would love to welcome you again with us in our resort. Don’t hesitate to contact us at guestfortuna@vivaresorts.com if we can assist you with anything. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Kindest Regards,

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, The Bahamas
virginia
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We booked this vacation due to the good rate for the all inclusive as well as the inexpensive, direct flight to Freeport. After reading the reviews, I did not have very high expectations, and actually told our girls it may be a bit like "camping in a permanent structure". We arrived and yes, the facilities are not up-to-date and in some areas, lacking. The rooms are old, the decor dated, the tile and overall condition of the bathrooms very mediocre. The shower was "spotty". The pool area is old, and the buildings, etc. very worn. The food was as expected for a buffet style. The music from the disco was heard until wee hours of the morning. That all being said, I LOVED it! A non-pretentious atmosphere, people of all ages having fun, and the staff worked hard to please. The beach was gorgeous, the water better, and we took part in snorkeling, using the hobie cats, the sea kayaks, and enjoying laying on the beach. I actually took a trapeze "lesson". I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a varied age of people partaking in pool activities, playing pool and ping pong, and sitting around late evening, outside of the "main game room", near the pool, playing cards while some people were dancing inside. We went to the "show" each evening, and laughed and had a good time. Certainly not the best, and like the facility, old, worn, at times haphazard "costumes", but it was all "fitting", for lack of a better word. The late night pizza was amazing.

The whole experience seemed to be a mix of 1) the "dirty dancing" family vacation, with activity directors working hard to include guests in events, and some people dressing up for dinner (at the buffet, no less!) and many very casual, located in the 2) Flamingo hotel, in Vegas (saw it's Glory days years ago), venue - dated and worn, yet practical, and 3) the Paradiso Theatre, from the movie Cinema Paradiso. This experience was more than pleasant, the beach was gorgeous, the cost was non-stressful, the atmosphere welcoming.

If you grew up taking vacations in the campgrounds of the '70's, and can enjoy places like Golden Corral for what it is, and prefer to shop at Marshall's, you will love this place. I enjoy the Bellagio in Vegas, but much prefer this kind of "feel" and overall atmosphere - I will definitely go back! If you expect a lot for little, and prefer high-end items over practicality, this is not the place for you....you will not be happy with the facility nor the the overall crowd that this place caters to - stick with the Four Seasons.

Room Tip: do not expect the Bellagio
5 Thank joalem
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.

It is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their vacation experience with us at our resort and the amenities provided for you all as well as the activities, food and drinks in a really island atmosphere.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you and your family and thank you once more for your honest review and for staying here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach and we are glad to hear that we actually cover your expectations.

Best Regards...