“I do plan on returning in the future!!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Jacksonville
“I do plan on returning in the future!!”
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My actual date of travel was March 2009 right before Easter. Before staying at the Viva Fortuna I stayed at the Redwood in Lucaya Bay for a few days basically just to be in the more touristy areas, the Wyndham is definitely a transition from where we were before. The only downfall to the hotel was that it was distant from Lucaya Bay where the "town" was where there were beach bars, grills, family owned restaurants, and clubs like Pulse. I definitely recommend spending a day or two in Lucaya Bay if given the chance, it's more of a "local" experience but it still is a touristy area so you'll feel safe. There are some restaurants there that are worth trying and the bars seem to be a little more fun and they'll hook you up on your drinks if you tip well! The bars in the Lucaya Market Place tend to be less worried about measuring out shots and just pour! Rum Runners is definitely worth the money and so is Sparky's because they give you your moneys worth even on more expensive drinks. I recommend trying Bahama Mama, Rum Runners, Goombay Smash, and Yellow Birds while visiting the Bahamas! Super yummy! (That is if you're a drinker!)

Okay anyways, I'll get more on topic of the hotel itself. Check in was great and the shuttle service for Viva Fortuna was really fast about picking us up from our hotel in Lucaya Bay even with it being a busier time right before Easter. The hotel shuttle as far as I can remember was free to travel but we had to pay upon going to the airport because our charter cruise ship broke down. So make sure you have plenty of cash on you for shuttles, taxis, and tips while in Bahamas.

I'll start off talking about the bars at the hotel; there were 3 main bars: the patio bar, beach bar, and the disco bar. The Patio Bar was the biggest bar and had the best service so we had to wait way less for getting our drinks. Pretty much everyone we met on the trip was very friendly and we had a good time drinking and taking different types of shots around the bar with groups of people from several areas in the world. The Patio Bar is enclosed and has several areas to lounge, ping pong tables (one night we convinced them to let us play beer pong but they said that was a no-no, but we had a cool bartender that turned his head to it), and a giant life-size chess board where you can play. The beach bar was good for getting drinks while out by the pool and on the beach but it was definitely the longest taking bar at the hotel solely because food was served there too; it was like hamburgers, hotdogs, and french fries type place perfect for quick snacks during the day. One thing I didn't like at the beach bar was it was a little windier and the birds would be around, other than that nothing the hotel can really control. I just hate birds! Disco bar was fun and quick, it was an all ages type "club" where there is a disco floor and you can dance or just hang out at the tables and chat. (note- one good thing--all alcohol is included in the price of your stay--all-inclusive is the way to go!)

I don't have much to say about the restaurants on site because we were more into just making the best out of our days drinking and having fun than actually going to fancy dinners on this trip. Majority of the restaurants you have to reserve ahead of time but the food is all-inclusive but their are certain menu items you'll pay extra for. We mainly went to the buffet for each meal. The buffet changed daily and the food was pretty good! I had no complaints! There was actually a pretty good selection of food for it being all-inclusive, I guess the best way to compare it is all-inclusive buffets on a cruise. There is also a late night pizza restaurant that's all included and open later for easy late night snacks!

As far as activities are concerned kayaking, snorkeling, and acrobats are included. Those were the ones I did. They also offer scuba, jet skiing and a couple of other services that cost extra but probably are totally worth it! I liked the snorkeling here, tons of rocks though so water shoes are a must! Other than that swim around and it's safe! The water is perfect for kayaking--no waves and you can see the bottom even a mile out! I saw my first running star fish here! Very cool experience.

I feel they have a really good amount of room for the pools and jacuzzi and I was always able to find my own time to go in the jacuzzi without it being over crowded. There is always a towel guy by the pool but they are also pretty good about putting towels in the rooms.

The rooms weren't the best rooms I've stayed in, but they're definitely worth the money and have outside balconies, inside safe, and mini-fridges. I didn't have any bad experiences at this hotel but I recommend anytime going out of the country putting your personals and valuables in the safe regardless.

The staff was great and very attentive and helpful! They showed us around when we first got there, helped us bring our stuff to our rooms, and were overall very personable. They would remember your name the next day and talk to you about stuff- great to know they actually care! Bartenders were good with the drinks and everyone else was helpful and accommodating.

Hint- Majority of the bad reviews about this hotel are based on Spring Break which is typically the month of April for the Bahamas! Of course anywhere you go on Spring Break with a beach is going to be awful if you're not a spring breaker! Do not go to this hotel during Spring Break if you plan on relaxing and having a romantic time--not the time or place!

This hotel is more for a social person just enjoying a fun vacation. This hotel is good for friends and spouses. But if you're looking for a romantic, intimate, and calm get-a-way Bahamas in general is probably not the way to go unless you go during slow times of year!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lauren B
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort as your vacation destination.
We are thrilled to read how much fun you had whilst staying here, especially to see that you enjoyed our amenities provided for you, such as the sailing, entertainment and not to mention the that having also the chance to discover about scuba diving jet ski also off property.
We were pleased to read how you have enjoyed the food in all our restaurants, and of curse also that you had a great time our Bar members and have enjoyed the best in our Resort all inclusive.
On behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your positive review also, for all our upcoming guests to read. It is always appreciated.
We would love to welcome again with us in our resort. Don’t hesitate to contact us at guestfortuna@vivaresorts.com if we can assist you with anything. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, The Bahamas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Hungarian first
boston
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Read the reviews, so I had mxed thoughts. But, booked because a person in our party said to stay here, plus I know our group is a fun bunch...we would make the best of it anyway. Anywho, overall the place was cool. I think the mindset of the traveler says a lot, which is why I don't totally believe everything I read.
1) the room(s) - clean including bathroom, bed comfortable. We didn't have a mini frig in our room like the others in our party. We didn't sweat it, I am sure if we requested one, we would have gotten it...we had the luxury to use our friends frig if needed. We had six rooms, I know three had issues with the patio door. We called and right way they were fixed. One room had band-aids holding the batteries inside the safe, they replaced it too. We laughed and it became a running joke during our stay. I don't remember which bldg we stayed in but our rm # was 6105, all but one was located in the 61 block.
2) food - the main dining hall were good. The had plenty to eat...I don't understand why reviewers complained about not enough of a selection, anywho, the chef was always in the buffett area and accessible to patrons. Maybe they are working at improving this area and the chef wanted to see things himself. The asian restaurant needs some improvements. The decor was nice, but not the food. The italian restaurant was really good. We love this. The food, wine and piano serenade were on-point here.
3) the bar - no issues to report. No lines. Not much of a selection, but I expected that. I would have like premium brands to be available even it I had to pay for it. Some of us went to liquor store to buy alcohol. Others drank their wine and beer. It was all good.
4) activities - didn't even get a chance to participate on the resort but did do the sunset cruise, Count Basie sq, casino and Lucuya marketplace. Went and had conch at the local's marketplace...we hit that place twice. Try the conch salad or fritters...yummy. I love perfume, so the perfume factory was a must for me. I love the fact you can make your own perfume...sweet!
5) beach - aah, the best. What the whole trip was about! The beach was clean during our whole stay. I am so so glad the resort was not crowded, we had the pleasure of enjoying the resort at our leisure. It seems like we had the resort to ourselves...plenty of lounge chairs available. Sat on the beach and watch the sunsets...so tranquil. The same with the sunrise...simply lovely.
6) the front desk staff - We didn't have an issue with them. I believe they are bombarded with guests w/ attitude that they sometimes fail to let their guard down. We approached them in a positive and pleasant matter and they responded as such.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay here. We had the pleasure of having our own taxi during our entire stay. He had a van that seated 10 and it fitted the 10 of us.

I say, if you are going for the hotel accommodations, this probably isn't for you (unless you are doing oceanview?). If you are going for the beach, diving, etc and just need a clean and comfortable place to sleep, you will be cool with this. Also, this is not an American metropolitan city...its an island and the pace is laid-back...take it in stride. Relax and enjoy the local surroundings....

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank eventfuls
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.

Also we are thrilled to read how you enjoyed our food and beverage variety here in our Property, our beautiful white sand beach as well as the activities around our Grand Bahama Island atmostphere.

burlington, NJ
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Okay! I admit that was scared to go, having booked the reservations before going to Tripadvisor (silly me!) but after all is said and done, I am satisfied with the experience and would return to that hotel if I were ever to return to Freeport. Here's the breakdown of the trip:

Front Desk:
We started the trip off with a 2 hour delay from our home airport, causing a domino effect -- and subsequently arrived at our hotel 5 hour after check-in. Our oceanview room was booked as they assumed we weren't coming. We were set up in another nice room after a few minutes of waiting and the room still had a view of the ocean. We were advised to come back in the morning to be moved to the oceanfront room we paid for. We were actually happy enough with the first room that we debated whether or not it was worth the time and effort to pack up all our stuff to move to a new room on day 2. We decided to do so and it was worth it. The Bimini rooms were definitely an upgrade from Abco both in closeness to the beach (only by a few yards really) and in room amenities (doors instead of drapes for both the shower and the bathroom). The front desk people were nice for both checking in and checking out.

Guest Services:
This area was available for any questions you had as a guest, to book a restaurant reservation, or needed maintenance in your room. The process was a little bit of a crapshoot as there was only one person manning the area - so sometimes I would pass by and the person behind the counter was swamped with patrons. At other times, there would be no one available behind the desk (break time I guess?) However, every time I needed help, the guest services did a great job at providing it once I was able to talk to the representative. At one point, we had a small issue with our room and we spoke to guest services about it; maintenance was there to fix it within 5 minutes.

The Beach:
The beach was nice. If you are in the Abco (A) or Bimini (B) areas, you will be right on the beach. There were plenty of chairs to use and umbrellas on site. We had a special roped off VIP area for use and we didn't even notice it until the 3rd day because we never needed it! We walked a little up and down the shoreline but the views didn't vary much from what we saw right in front of the hotel so we didn't stray far. There were plenty of little seashells to pick up. There was a LOT of seaweed. The beach was litter-free. There was a lady on the beach who asked if I wanted my hair braided. I said no thanks and she left me alone. We were also approached by someone who worked for another resort and was trying to get us to use their services; that was awkward but he was not aggressive.

The Water:
The water was clear and warm. There weren't many people in the water any time we were at the beach so it made for lots of uninterrupted horseplay for my husband and me without much concern for fellow swimmers. There were a LOT of fish that you can see even while just wading knee-high. Apparently some swimmers have been in the habit of feeding hotdog rolls to the fish, so they have the potential to swarm around you in anticipation of receiving food. Depending on your attitude to our fishy friends will determine whether you find this endearing or intimidating. There were no real waves like I see at the NJ shore, so if you want to boogie board, this is not your beach. The beach was very rocky. I highly recommend WATER SHOES! There is a clearly marked line of water buoys so you always feel protected when swimming with watersports so close by.

The Bar:
My husband and I do not drink alcohol, so I can't comment on the potency of the beverages as I know this is a topic in other reviews for this hotel. However, I will say that we did get a lot of virgin strawberry and/or pina colada frozen daiquiris and they were excellent. The bar also doubles as a coffee station where one can order cafe lattes, cappuccinos, and/or hot tea. Be aware that they do not have skim milk on site - only whole milk. The lines were very short in the morning, but come late day or early evening, the lines got longer and the bartenders showed favoritism to certain patrons ahead of others. My husband waited patiently for 35 minutes for two drinks (20 minutes for the first and 15 minutes for the second) when the bar was packed with young adults watching the basketball game. This was also the only place where we constantly tipped (depending on the service).

The Land Activities:
We tried out an assortment of land activities including: biking, trapeze, giant chess, and archery.
--The biking was not as bad as it sounds in other reviews. We had a couple of bikes that were old, but in decent shape. Perhaps we were just lucky because there were over 10 bikes to choose from. Some had flat tires, but we knew in advance to keep an eye out for that. The roads though were tough - flat, yes... but they had no shoulder or bike paths on the roads and thus no safe place to ride the bike!
--The trapeze was in great shape. It is located right in front of the Abco buildings so you can sit on your balcony/patio and watch people try it out. They have it available for use 4 hours a day, in 2 hour intervals (morning and afternoon), where you can walk up and give it a try. My husband thought it was great.
--The giant chess. It is exactly as stated - giant chess. More of a novelty than anything else. We found it to always be occupied with players except for in the morning before noon.
--Archery. There were two archery bows with two targets. There was no instructor. We learned from other patrons who were also testing it out. We were disappointed with this one and didn't stay too long.
--There were other activities that my husband and I didn't participate in. For example, they had a dart tournament one day and a basketball tournament the next. They have foosball and billiards if you're willing to put a deposit down on the equipment beforehand. They also have nightly shows from 9:30ish to 10:30ish but we didn't go see them. However, the theatre was packed for every show so I guess they are doing something right there!
--The pool/jacuzzi/kids pool: Everything looked clean and clear. You probably want to check the schedule in the main community area near the bar to see what activities are in the pool that day before making any plans (either to participate or avoid participation). While we were there, we saw pool volleyball, bingo, water aerobics, and coordinated dancing in the pool to club music. There seemed to be some social activity going on in the pool more often than not some days, so plan in advance if you're looking for quiet time around the poolside.

Water Activities:
My husband and I participated in only a couple of the water activities: snorkeling and kayaking. They also offered wind surfing and catamaran but we didn't make the time for those activities. The snorkeling was wonderful for a couple of new timers. We brought down our own equipment and headed out to the water. Within 15 feet from shore in the buoy area, you will start seeing the reefs (and some cinder blocks that make their home among the reefs unfortunately). I saw a lot of snorkelers head out toward the very edge of the buoy area (about 50 feet away from shore or so) but my husband was too nervous about being that far from shore, so we didn't head out that far -- but we heard it was a great little place to snorkel on site! We saw some exotic fish on our little trip and we were happy with that experience for a couple of beginners. The kayaks were in good shape and we were satisfied with the ease of renting them out. They provided life jackets for the kayaks.

The Food:
There are five food areas (not counting the bar drinks) and they include: the buffet (Junkanoo), the Asian cuisine, the Italian cuisine, the late-night pizza, and the burgers on the beach.
--The buffet is what it is... a buffet. We ate there several times for breakfast and dinner. We had a special VIP area to sit in, but it wasn't necessary as the place was never that packed when we ate. Breakfast offered all the basics including: oatmeal, cold cereal, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns (consistently undercooked), scrambled eggs, french toast, pancakes, farina, fruit, bagels, etc and even featured a chef who would cook up fresh omelets. Dinner was similarly prepared with a lot of variety, including plenty of different main dishes, soups, salads, cold cuts, and fruit. Some nights were themed: Italian, Bahamian, Greek, etc.
--The Asian restaurant needed reservations. We made them with guest services a night ahead of time. You can only order one appetizer, one main dish, and one dessert when you visit the restaurant - there were only two appetizer, 4 main dish, and 2 dessert options so if you're a picky eater, I may not recommend this restaurant. Aside from the store bought Zattaran's rice, the main dish was excellent. My husband liked his food so much, we scheduled a second reservation for the same night so he could eat the meal again!
--The Italian restaurant also needs reservations. We did not go to the Italian restaurant while there, but we did talk to a few people who did think it was average.
--The late-night pizza. WOW! What a great thin crust pizza! They open at 11:00pm but we got there at 10:45pm just when the first pizzas were coming out of the oven. We grabbed a few slices and sat under the stars. The chef was singing to some Oldies music, and we relaxed and ate some good food. People did show up right at 11pm though and it was packed quickly! So, I suggest to get there early so you can beat the rush! I also recommend double-checking the availability/location if you are making any sort of schedule around eating the pizza; one of the nights we were there, the hotel was having a bonfire and so the pizza was not served in the normal Viva Cafe area.
--Burgers on the beach: We LOVED these burgers (cooked on the grill) and fries! However, once it opens for business, expect it to get packed quickly so plan accordingly for a long wait if you're not there early.

The Shops:
They sell suntan lotion on site for a reasonable price. They also sell souvenirs, including t-shirts, cups, mugs, and magnets. You can purchase local maps, paperback books, or even quite a few snacks for your sweet tooth right there in the local shop.

So there is my review. The place was a little run-down, although I see they are trying to make improvements to the location. It's not a 5-star hotel so don't get your hopes up. However, for the price and the amount of amenities included in your all-inclusive package, it's worth the 4-star value. My husband and I agreed that we would come back to Viva Wnydham if we were ever on the Grand Bahama Island again.

Room Tip: Bimini was the closest to the beach and the most recently renovated
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
28 Thank micmac1007
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you and your husband for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.

It is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their vacation experience with us at our resort and the amenities provided for you all. Especially we are happy to read that you enjoyed your rooms and were satisfied with our housekeeping service.

Thrilled to hear how you both enjoyed our wonderful and long white beach walk and our ocean and its peace that the same brings, in our warm and calm Island of Grand Bahamas.

We are also delighted that you enjoyed the food and beverages in our resort in the main restaurant as well as in our two A-la-carte restaurants, at our beach bar, main bar and our late night pizza snack.

On behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your positive review also for all our upcoming guests to read, regarding that our Hotel Value is a great 3 Stars Resort. It is always appreciated.

We would love to welcome you and your husband again with us in our resort. Don’t hesitate to contact us at guestfortuna@vivaresorts.com if we can assist you with anything. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

Me and my friends just got back from the Bahamas this weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect from reading mixed reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. Afterall, you get what you pay for!
The rooms were average, but clean and made up daily. The food was ok, but there was a huge selection which I thought was great. The late night pizza was THE BEST! I highly recommend it. The beach was nice and big with plenty of tiki huts, but the water was very rocky. The nightly entertainment was better some nights than others, but overall a good time.
If you are looking for an inexpensive beach getaway, then I would recommend viva wyndham. Just don't expect a 5 star resort and you'll be fine!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank katekaz
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.

We are pleased to read how you and your friends enjoyed our beautiful beach and all the amenities and activities provided for our valuable Guests.

We appreciate your honest and positive review for all our upcoming guests to read, it is always a pleasure to know our guest have this appreciation to our services and staff.

Also we are thrilled to read how you enjoyed our late night pizza as well as our shows performed by our animation staff. It is nice to receive the recognition of their hard work to perform the dances.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you once more, for not only your review, but for your generous hospitality also. We hope to see you both re-visit us again.

Kindest regards,

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Never book a trip here - they claim to have a relaxing, romantic all inclusive vacation but when you arrive, its horrendous - completely overbooked with 6-8 drunken college students per room, barfing all over with heavy bass music blasting from 9am - 3am and lines in the restaurant and at the bar so long you cant eat or drink, thus defeating the purpose of all the inclusive deal. Customer service is absolutely attrocious and what seems like a great deal is the worst travel experience ever!

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank T L

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Venice, Florida
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We had four fun days at this resort that was nice, and the beach was lovely! We found the food to be good and the drinks went on forever. The staff was very friendly indeed. I would recommend you come with an open mind and just have fun. We did have an ocean view in the green section (B for Bimini) and we had a corner room with a great view. It was a blast! We also went to the Gold Beach at low tide, and it was incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be prepared for parts of the island to have lots of trash though. Overall it was a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Get the ocean view in B (Bimini) section!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sparky093
Dear Guest

We are pleased to read how you enjoyed our beautiful beach and all the amenities and activities provided for you and your partner.

Kindest regards,

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We purchased an excursion day trip through our cruise line and were happy with the facility. The beach had a lot of chairs/shelters and they were all in premium locations. There was a large swimming area and lots of activities that you could choose from. They had a large pool and a smaller kids pool and a bar on the beach that served hotdogs, hamburgers and chicken nuggets for lunch. There was also other restaurants on the property that we didn't visit. The pool was clean and the bathrooms were adequate. My only complaint was the amount of cigarette butts littering the beach. Some people complained about the small drinks served but there wasn't any problems with getting 2 or 3 at the same time.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel overnight so we can't help out here.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your Day Excursion destination.

It is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their experience with us at our resort and the amenities provided for you all.

Also we are thrilled to read how you enjoyed our food and beverage variety, and of curse we would love you to see you again in our property and have you to enjoy the fullest of our Resort, all the daily and nightly shows and of curse to make you feel comfortable in our rooms and the rest of the property.