“we loved club viva fortuna”

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 23 September 2003

This is a great resort. The beach is just gorgeous and there are lots of activities to keep you amused. The food is spectacular and the staff is as sweet as can be. It's a great moderate price place to relax. It's certainly a better deal dollar for dollar than the New Jersey beaches, which now cost a fortune.

1  Thank megafrugola

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2003

We read the reviews on Club Viva Fortuna before our holiday in Septemver 2003, and to our detriment we choose to ignore them!We booked for 14 days, we managed to stay for just 3 nights before moving out.The standards are, in our opinion very, very low.For your own sakes do believe the negative reviews on the standards of assistance, accomodation, food, hygiene, and drinks/refreshments offered.Otherwise good luck to you.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando, Fl.
Reviewed 19 September 2003

We just got back from staying at Club Fortuna and we absolutely loved it. I honestly can't believe that the person on here that gave it a bad review could have been staying at the same place. It was a HUGE resort, the pool was HUGE, the rooms were HUGE, and all the alchohol you can drink(its all included it the all-inclusive package..we got food, drinks, parties, games, i mean everything. The place looked brand new.
I ususally don't take the time to rate hotels like this...but i had to on this one..it was awesome.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 September 2003

Sorry to bust everybodies bubble here, but this place is the pits! I am not trying to sound all La Di Da, but I've stayed in places like Sandals, The Palaces in Mexico, Paradisus Riveria in the Mayan Riveria, and Breezes. All Inclusives, most of which have comparable prices to this place. The rooms a run down, ant infested, poor plumbing, and unkempt. The food is open air buffet, no service at all. Get your own drink. The food is subpar. Flies infest the entire dining room. The bars are stand up (dont sit and relax). the staff is there, but cannot do a thing for you. No personality. Not helpful. I am sorry but anyone who writes a review positive about this place cannot have ever stayed in a nice resort in the past. This place is good for first timers, and people who do not appreciate the better things in life. If drinking for free is your bag, then have a good time. Only high point about this resort is the great beach and reefs just off shore. If oyu snorkel, your in for a treat. However, the whole island you could find good snorkeling and save your money, getting free horrible food and free drinks.

6  Thank FtLaudTraveler
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 7 September 2003

I had a great time and would recommend this resort to all my friends. I have been to many all inclusive resorts and this was the best by far for the price. The price is reasonable and the buffet food was great.
You can also rent mopeds there and ride down to the market, which is minutes away. I also got my hair braided there for a great price. If you don't want to spend high dollar and you are on a budget, then this is the hotel for you. Everyone was nice.

sincerely, Miss Kimberli :)

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 September 2003

My husband & I stayed at Viva for 6 days, 5 nights over Labor Day
weekend. This trip we left the kids at home. I can't wait to take them
on the next one!

Room & Front Desk Staff
We arrived just after Noon and received our room immediately upon arrival at no extra charge. We had to stop the bel-hop so we could get a drink at the bar before going to our room =0) We received a studio room (probably because we went as part of a timeshare presentation deal). We had a full kitchenette complete with stove, fridge, toaster, microwave, linen napkins, plates, glasses & silverware. (Not that we needed any of this at an all-inclusive). There was a very comfortable Murphy bed that came down from the wall, a couch, nice TV, and table & chairs for two. The bathroom was spacious and clean. There were a few tiny ants that meandered thru on occasion, but they didn't get into anything and didn't bother us in the least.

Dining
After dumping off our luggage at the room & yes we tipped the bel-hop, we threw on our suits, a shirt and shorts and headed to lunch. The dining room is very large and if you can't find something to eat that you like- you're crazy. Each and every meal they had plenty to choose from. Rice, chicken, steak, pork, melon, melon, melon, wonderful breads and dairy products. We went deep sea fishing on Monday morning and Viva staff told us to bring back our fish and the chef would cook it for us. Sure enough Monday night I had the best fish I ate in my life, the chef prepared OUR fish and served it to us. Yes- we tipped the chef!!!!! This in my opinion is above & beyond what we bargained for. We ate way too much and loved every bite.

Beach/Pool
After lunch, we got our beach towels at the pool shack and went to the beach. The water is a color of turquoise that pictures cannot capture. It's the most beautiful sight I've ever seen. We spent alot of time on the beach swimming, snorkeling, kayaking all at no extra charge. The first morning I was there I saw two dolphins swimming within 2' of shore then swam away just as quickly- but they were there and beautiful. Honestly, we personally didn't have much luck seeing anything snorkeling but we spoke to others who saw plenty of beautiful fish and reef. And the divers we spoke with were pleased with their experiences as well. The beach was not crowded by any means and you could walk along the beach in either direction and be completely alone! There is a very high population of Italian guests and there were a few women did go topless. The water temp was perfect, the sand white & soft, and clean from debris.
The pool was large and the water temperature was perfect. We do recommend wearing water shoes in the pool and ocean. The bottom of the pool is rather rough and my husband tore up his toe pretty bad during an invigorating game of water polo. The lounge chairs were plenty and if you wish to leave your stuff under your chair either at the pool or the beach, it will be there exactly as you left it when you return.

Staff
Besides the beautiful beach, clean pool, comfortable room and affordable stay, the staff completely made our vacation! Viva's international staff was outgoing, fun, beautiful and very helpful. They start their day at 9am entertaining the guests with activities from games to aerobics to meringue lessons, and proceed to the theater at 9:30pm for the evening show. After the show, you can find many of the staff in the disco dancing and mingling with the guests. They work their butts off and never quit smiling! They truly seem to love their jobs and ensure that you are having a good time. I already miss all of them sincerely! The shows are very entertaining and make you realize how talented the staff is. These are not Broadway musicals- but it's more than I could ever imagine doing, and we were truly impressed and entertained. One night they had a "game show" type of show. My husband & I were called up to participate. I thought for sure I'd wet my pants laughing so hard. We received feedback from other guests the rest of the week that were "pulling" for us to win the contest. It was more fun that should be legally allowed =0) The hospitality of the staff extends to the bartenders who are always smiling and always eager to get you set up with your next refreshment of your choosing. We highly recommend taking a travel mug. The plastic cups that they normally use allow your beverage to get warm before you hit the beach. Using our mugs kept them cold and the bartenders will even rinse them out everytime you refill your drink. They're more than happy to fill 'em up again and again. I know my husband & I drank & ate our money's worth. Each bartender has their "specialty" that's not indicated on the wall- we had alot of fun sampling each bartender's "specialty".

Kids
Although we did not bring our children on this vacation, there were plenty of children around and we did not feel that the children there were ruining our vacation. There's plenty for them to do, and with 26 acres if you need to get away from someone else's children I'm sure you can find a spot. We look forward to going back with our kids next time. It's not fair for us to have all the fun!

Deep Sea Fishing
We booked a fishing excursion through Capt'n B's fishing charters. He is not affiliated with the resort in any way and we do highly recommend him. He was WONDERFUL. We paid $80/person for 4 hours. He picked us up at the hotel and filleted our fish for us. I would be more than happy to provide any other information anyone wants regarding our excursion.

Summary
Viva is not a 5 star resort, nor did we want a 5star resort. We cannot wait to go back. This is a beach resort- it's all about sunning, swimming, dancing and if you like- drinking more than your fair share. Usual apparel is shorts, tops, and sandals. Anything above that would be overdressed. This resort is exactly what we wanted! The staff, the guests, the food and the rum were more than we ever dreamed of. We will go back and would love to purchase a timeshare- and maybe retiring in the Bahamas. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to contact me. I highly recommend this resort and should you be considering going there- take me with you!!!!!

Mrs. Heidi Johns Viva fan extrodinaire aka- The Cheezeheads!

PS- Hello to: Peter, Marissa, Stacey, Alison, Cecilia, James, Stephan,
Keir, Kendall, Kevin, Gregory, Bertie, Sonia, Al, Dolly, Patricia, and
my apologies to anyone I left out! I miss you guys already.

15  Thank Trumpteezer
Reviewed 3 September 2003

My wife and I spent a quick 3 days 2 nights in mid July as a reward for hearing a time share presentation here in Texas. Thus our cost was very minimal. We read the various reviews in this website and were a little bit unsure as to what to expect. For those who feel that way now, RELAX!

The taxi from the airport (required) was $20 each way. Beware... There is an EXIT TAX of $10 each, so don't spend ALL your cash!

The hotel staff was very nice and polite. The time share salesperson took NO for an answer without any fuss. We just told her our time was too limited to allow us to hear the presentation.

Our room was clean, overlooked the beach, and the ac worked just fine.

The food was not 5 star, but very tasty. We never had any problem getting more than enough to eat. If we had brought the kids even they would have been happy with it!

The beach was very nice, and that is where we spent most of our time.
The beach bar was open most of the time, and the drinks were very potent. I followed someone elses hint about tipping the bartender. I was getting two drinks at a time, and would tip the bartender $1 every other trip. Maybe I didn't need to, but that is ALMOST ALL we spent there!

If you are a diver, DO take advantage of the service. While not up to South Pacific standards, the reefs were nice. I wasn't able to take advantage of the shark dive due to our exit date.

In short... We had a great time, and would recommend it to anyone UNLESS you are used to 5 star resorts.

3  Thank Krozair
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach? Share your experiences!