“Amazing vacation, lots of fun”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Before booking our vacation, most of the negative reviews i read about this place were related to the food. So let me get this out of the way, the food is not terrible by any means, it's buffet style food, not a five star restaurant, but there are still enough tasty choices to satisfy you.

That being said, the two main selling point of this place are the amazing beachfront, and the awesome staff. The beaches at this hotel are just breathtaking. I've to the Bahamas for on a cruise, and didn't the place was all that great, but staying here at this little island paradise has changed my view on the place for sure. I could go on for hours describing the crystal clear waters and all the great activities offered (snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving, etc.) but I'm not a great writer, and my descriptions wouldn't be doing it justice.

And the other selling point of this resort, is the hilarious and attentive staff. The waiters at the bars are great, and always smiling , but the real attraction is the entertainment staff. Those people will have you laughing and enjoying your trip from the minute you step into the resort to the moment you leave.

I can't write enough about how much fun I had here, and would definitely recommend this place to all my friends.

Room Tip: If you like to go to bed early (which you shouldn't be doing on vacation) then you may want a ro...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JCElliott87
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Dear Guest
We would like to say thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as your vacation destination.
We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed your experience here with us and all our staff and were pleased to read how you have enjoyed the food in all our restaurants, the beach as well the sport activities and entertainment.
We would love to welcome again with us in our resort. Don’t hesitate to contact us if we can assist you with anything. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

We were on a cruise and booked a shore excursion to this all inclusive resort. The breakfast was not good. The muffins, pancakes, and other stuff tasted like they were a couple days old. There were flies all around the food and birds on the floors looking for scrapes. We didn't bother eating lunch. The drinks were good and the staff were very friendly. The beach was great and relaxing so that was a positive. Did see a lot of trash in the the sand though. Bathroom was very clean! Would never stay here but okay for a day trip!

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Guest

We would like to start with a thank you, for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach resort as your day trip destination.

We apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations. However, concerning our food and beverage departments, each guest is unique and has different expectations. Our cuisine offers a great variety of options every day in meats, pasta, fish, salads, desserts and appetizers. Although we truly regret you could not find something of your preference.

However we are happy to read that you enjoyed our beach and our activities during the day.

On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review and we would love to welcome you again here in our resort for a few days vacation so you can see how the resort really is, and also our rooms and all the facilities that our all inclusive package offers.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I traveled with a group of 4 other people.
CHECK-IN: A breeze. We didn't get into our room until 3PM, but we just headed to the restroom and put on our suit so we could spend our time waiting at the beach. I sent an email requesting a room in Bimini section for building #4, 5,or 6. We were assigned rooms in building #7. We were on the second floor in room B777202. (Group joke) We had a beautiful view and the building is the located closest to everything. I've read bad reviews about excessive noise making it difficult to sleep when you are in this building. We did not have any problems sleeping. We kept the AC and TV on at night. The room was serviced daily by a very nice lady with a beautiful smile. The room was nice and clean. We had two queen size beds. The mattresses could be replaced. One night we slept in the first queen bed, but the mattress kept you rolling into the middle. The next night we slept in the other bed, and did not have this problem. We did pack our shampoo due to reading reviews. There was no shampoo, but we were prepared. Safes are available for $3 per day.
BUFFET: I found something to eat everyday. This is a typical buffet and sometimes you just need to get creative. I made egg muffin sandwiches somedays. At dinner, the chef carved roast beef on Friday, and another day he made me an awesome crepe. Yes, the food is recycled. But, it is pretty good.
Italian Restaurant: Very good eggplant and the lasagna was good also.
Asian Restaurant: Didn't eat there.
SNACK BAR: Really good hot dogs. And, my husband like the hamburgers also. This woman at the beach bar works very hard!
ALL BARS: They work very hard and I feel that they definitely need more staff! Somedays the drinks were strong and other days they were weak. But, the staff always made you something good.
DIVE SHOP: The dive staff is very good. Safety is their number one concern. All dive staff treat you like family. They listen to your requests and manage the dives accordingly. Not a cattle boat dive op. The dive boat is equipped with a spare O2 tank submerged near the submerged deco bar. Really nice set up. They all work hard and I appreciated everything they did for me.
ACTIVITIES: Bingo at 3 PM was fun. However, it is difficult to stay awake until 9:30 PM to get your prize at the beginning of the evening show. The activity staff works very hard for the small group that they are. The Beach party: The choice of music needs to be a variety. Many ages attend the party, but not all people enjoy the hiphop music that chased many people away.
WATERSPORT SHOP: Didn't use it.
BEACH: Beautiful beach with good snorkeling. I saw a small turtle and a small eagle ray one day. And, there are a few lobsters, one is pretty big! Yeah, some days the sea grass washes ashore, but the resort does not have any control over this. And, they do sweep the beach Monday-Friday.
BIKES: We did use the bikes one day. We enjoyed a very nice bike ride. The road was not very busy. The bikes worked just fine.
RESTROOMS: The resort does have restrooms located near the beach. They are always being cleaned!
POOL: Very nice.
HOT TUB: Very nice.
TAXI: Just ask the prices before you get into the taxi. However, ALL taxi rates are established by the government. There are plenty taxis available and all taxi drivers were very nice and provided good local information.
CHECK-OUT: A breeze.
CRUISE SHIP GUESTS: I feel that the resort needs to add more staff. The bar, buffet, and snack bar gets over used and the staff become so tired. And, this same staff has to continue to try to be nice to serve the original resort guests. This is too exhausting for them.
SUGGESTIONS: I would enjoy hearing some tropical music while on vacation. Also, it would be nice to have activities and/or games begin around 7 PM on some nights.
We have traveled to many resorts on various caribbean islands and I am used to doing more things around the beach. I feel that their best amenity is the beach, so focus your fun and games there. (IE. Beach bar-b-q, beach party, couples games, fire shows, etc.)
FINAL NOTE: We read many bad reviews. And, even the 5* resorts have problems because there are just those people that no one can ever please. That is not our case. I read the reviews and I did not hesitate to book. We know what we like and this resort met our needs. This is a nice resort and I would return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Bonnie S

Dear Guest

We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed your experience here with us and all our staff and were pleased to read how you have enjoyed your room and the view you had as well as the beach.
Also we are pleased to read that you enjoyed our daily activities and our staff in all the different departments.
Concerning the activities as policy of our resort we usually focus on the activities around the pool because most of the time the people that goes on the beach wants to relax and don't want any games or activities around them, like this we can 'reserve' a spot for the people that want to relax and the guest that want to do activities.
On behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your positive review also, for all our upcoming guests to read and we would love to welcome you again in our resort so don't hesitate to contact us if we can assist you with anything.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

We went as a small group of six people may 4th- may 11th. we requested rooms in building B4,5,or 6 but got B7 thought we wouldn't like it (heard bad reviews) the front desk had us all on second floor but changed my room to 1st floor with no problem-due to my husband having trouble walking.our room B777104-(our little joke) was very clean every day.had remote & safe issues that were fixed very quickly.I never had any trouble sleeping due to loud music but we sleep with our tv on.When I go on vacation anytime there is food that I don't have to cook It's a good thing--no problem finding something hot to eat. buffet resturant cooked our fish we caught & we had it for lunch 1 day-very good!Taxi service was always ready & took us to gold rock beach & stayed with us the whole time--nice!! The entertainment crew did a great job with the small amount of people they have to work with-made you feel welcome! but I think having the cruise ship people coming in for day trip took a toll or them & they were beat by the evening time.I made it to every night show but 1 & thought they ALL did a great job.Bonfire could have played bonfire music & not dico music.The whole area was a little dark & could use more lighting.The resort lacked something,I just don't know what. would I go back? If the price was right I sure would.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We had a nice oceanfront room in the B-section, quiet and one step away from a wonderful beach. The room was clean, large and with a nice balcony. The food was very good and plentiful. The pool was huge, warm and always empty of people, the whirlpool large and with a perfect temperature. The best was the activities. You could do about everything. We even took tennis lessons free of charge. There were shows and poolside activities at all times. The staff were super friendly, and the drinks awesome! And the beach! We "rented" snorkel and mask for free and did snorkeling right off the beach on our own. There is a reef with many, many fishes there, and the occasional barracuda. But our best experience was with the Dive Center. Located right on the property, they took you out snorkeling and diving. We made our scuba diving certification there in 2 days! The instructors were strict and taught us well. We even went on a shark dive with them where we saw very large reef sharks! I never forget the experience the dive center bestowed upon us. Young diving instructors with a zest for life, accomplished in diving and very responsible. I want to go back there!!

Room Tip: The A-rooms are around the pool and bar = noisy The C-rooms are in the back in the garden = quiet...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed your experience here with us and all our staff and were pleased to read how you have enjoyed the room, the beach and the snorkeling.
We also are happy about hearing that you enjoyed all the activities, the shows and all the other facilities as well as your experience at the diving center.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Very run down property. We were assigned a room at the back and I asked nicely if they had anything closer to the ocean. They accommodated me instantly upgrading us to an ocean view room which was very much appreciated and at no additional charge. That was the nicest thing I can say about this all inclusive resort. I'll say its the most basic of basic accommodations. Our room was nice and you could tell that an effort was made to update it. It was one of the rooms reserved for RCI members but since the resort was not busy we were lucky enough to get it. The room we actually paid for was way in the back with a view of the road. I would have been very upset if we would have had to stay there. Very basic buffet restaurant. If your a foodie you won't like it. Everything is self serve. Drinks everything. The only service was that they set the tables and dropped off silverware. Most days we had to find our own. They had a long bar in what reminded me of a rec hall. When it rained everyone piled into this rec hall. It was crowded and they brought the outside activities like dancing etc. inside. Very noisy and nothing like any all inclusive I've ever been to. Only three bartenders for the whole resort. One bartender was on standby at the end of the bar preparing coffee drinks which was a long wait. Cappucino's were very good though. They also had a bartender at the little beach hut which was also a long wait. The beach was filthy and all kinds of seagrass and stuff floating in the water. Nothing like Nassau and Paradise Island. One thing I can say is that they had a great girl who worked with the little children. She was fantastic with the kids. She hugged and kissed them and they followed her around like the pied piper. It was a joy to watch her with them. The kids were very happy. When we first arrived at our room to view it and decide if we wanted to take it the key didn't work. We asked the maid who had a master key if she would open the door so that we could just view it. She said no. You go to the front desk and let them sort it out. I guess it just wasn't her job man. Even though we were assigned an RCI room, I felt this resort was a complete waste of money. Anywhere you go has to be nicer than this place. A cab driver told us that this hotel was going to be closed down in August and Sept. I said that's good it needs a good renovation. The driver said they should tear the whole place down. You decide. By the way I usually have very good things to say about resorts we are not very hard to please. This is a first for us. We usually read bad reviews and say my god how do these people live with themselves. This truly is a first. I'd look elsewhere and preferably another island. Freeport is very industrial. Not a pretty island.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view. I don't think you will get what you want anyway. If it's a busy time al...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DLK154995
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear Guest

We would like to start with a thank you, for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach resort as your vacation destination.

We regret not having an opportunity to meet with you while you were on property, not to mention systems in place to address each concern as they arise. More importantly, we believe that our invaluable clients are deserving of a worry-free vacation.

We confirme that the resort is going to be closed for two months for renovations. Actually we already start the process a year ago, with some renovations in the room, and in the all area, the resort doesn't need to be ' tear all down', our all inclusive process is the same in Dominican Rebulic and Mexico, the same for the all Viva Wyndham Resorts.

Although we cannot change what has happened in the past, we will utilize your comments for improvement in the future.
On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to apologize once more for the uncomfortable experience you encountered with us, yet we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Traveled here in 2010 with my family, and had a great time! So good that we wanted to come back in 2012-- big mistake! The staff were unfriendly and not helpful, they acted like it was a bother for them to do anything at all! The food was average, if you like cafeteria slop. The two "restaurants" had the same food as the cafeteria, and if you didn't make a reservation at least 2 days in advanced you would get stuck with a ridiculous time (like 8:30pm, not so good when you are traveling with kids!) The burger shop served chicken nuggets that were still frozen, and the flies were so bad my kids deemed it "Fly Burger's." The rocks in the ocean made it very hard to swim without wearing some sort of footwear, and the peddlers on the beach became very invasive of our private space when trying to sell us stuff. The only positives were the shows that the animation team put on at night, those were great! And the trapeze was very fun for my kids to enjoy. Overall, a bad stay but with a few positives. May reconsider in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank travelgirl728

Dear Guest

We apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations and we regret not having an opportunity to talk to you while you were on property since it was your sencond visit in our resort. More importantly, we believe that our invaluable clients are deserving of a worry-free vacation.

Concerning our food and beverage departments we truly regret you could not find something of your preference, in the main restaurant, in the two a la cart and also by the snak bar on the beach.

Also, we apologize for the vendors and the way they disturbed you and your husband, however, unfortunately they are allowed up to a certain amount in distance between the shore line and the beach. We have security on call 24/7, so if there does become an issue we contact our security and they deal with the situation.

However we are happy to read that you like our shows at night and also our activities during the day especially the trapeze for your kids.

We also would like to inform you that our resort is going to close in September for renovation and we would love to welcome you to visit us again after that so we could have your opinion.