“Go somewhere else” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Montreal, Canada
“Go somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I do not recommand this hotel at all, rooms are very dirty and the food is about the same every day. We foud the staffs rude, except for the cleaning lady. All the poeple we met were complaining, we were counting days to go back home, the only positive thing i have to say was the weather and the nice beach.

6 Thank sabrina s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (880)
  • Hungarian first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

The price was right. The trapeze was super fun and there are plenty of activities that are included in the price. It's very clean and most of the workers there are friendly. Especially Laura, Dylan, and all the bartenders. The resort is a 15 min ride from the airport and there aren't any other resorts around so it has a private vibe. The major downfall was the food. I would go back if the food was better. Canned fruit, soggy gross salad, sweaty cheese, prunes in sloppy brown sauce, and a many versions of rice. The one savior was the fried food hut on the beach...can't really screw up French fries. The Italian restaurant is the best choice but still mediocre at best. Luckily we were distracted by all the fun people who work there who definitely make it fun. The snorkeling was great, kayaking was a blast, volleyball, ping pong...fun fun fun.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Happytraveler21677
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear customer

First of all we thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach on your recent holidays!

We are extremely pleased reading how you had a fun and exciting experience with our hospitable staff and the various activities which we offer. We regret that our food options did not meet your expectations.

We really appreciate that you took your time to write us this review, as it will be used in our continuous commitment is to provide quality service to all off our guests.

We sincerely hope to have the honor to be once again at your service.

Warmest Regards,

Massimo Carugati
Harker Heights
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

My sister and I stayed one night here and that was enough. Everyone that we met complained about their experience. When we were finally allowed to enter our room after waiting for hours, it was a total disappointment. The closet door was leaning against the frame. The lamps didn't work at all. We asked the maintenance man to fix it. He put the door back on but it didn't last and told us that we would probably have to call the front desk to have them bring a lamp because they do not work. The employees were not helpful with the exception of the maintenance man. He did at least try. The only positive comment that I have is about the food in the Italian Restaurant. It was amazingly good.

3 Thank Leona C
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear customer

We appreciate you for taking the time and sharing your impression with us regarding your stay through trip advisor.

I deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations, and for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your past visit.

We are glad that despite the reported inconveniences you enjoyed the our Italian restaurant.

Rest assure that we are in a continuous effort and constant process of upgrading our facilities, with the aim of better serving all our visitors in the future

Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Can't believe that anyone will complain about sitting Oceanside with great drinks and music! The folks who work here are beyond fabulous and have wonderful customer service skills! Gregory, Markus and the whole entertainment team made this trip so wonderful! Its what

you make of it and right now sitting outside of our room listening to the music and ocean waves is well worth the price! Go for it!

Room Tip: Enjoy the great beach and water, give the staff the praise they deserve for making this resort a goo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Josephine S
Dear customer

Thank you for publishing your positive review on Trip Advisor; your comments are really helpful for us and also for our upcoming guest to read.

It is always very rewarding to receive our guest positive feedback and their experience in our property.

We will be honor to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, having the chance to be once again at your service!

Best regards,
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

After having booked our stay with a canadian tour operator (Sunwing), one of the person in our party of 8 took a look at reviews and got us all very concerned. I can't say how that played into our perception, maybe we had no expectations, but all the adults in our group (we were 5 adults - 3 children) thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

This is all about "what you get" for the money you paid. We traveled there for Easter, 3rd week of April. This is probably not the highest season, and for a family with 3 children, it was actually cheaper to go there VS Cuba, Dominican Republic or Mexico. With Sunwing, children end up staying for free, only paying the ticket, and that makes a huge difference on the final price. We were therefor comparing this resort VS the experience we could have gotten in a 4 star in Cuba or dominican republic.

We did get a tad concerned when we arrived. Because we were coming in with a tour operator, we actually had 50ish people checking in at the same time, and 1 1/2 person at the front desk handling all of this. The line was long, it probably took at least 1h to get through it. That was the worst part of our experience. Everything after that got better.

We got upgraded to begin with, without asking for anything. We had booked a garden view, but got an ocean view room in the Bimini section. It was really great, we were a couple of feet from where the beach starts. These rooms were also renovated, and it is true they have non-renovated rooms though we couldn't see them since all of us got renovated ones. It was not in pristine condition, it is true there was a little hotel in the ceiling over the shower head in one of the 3 rooms, but honestly, who cares? The room was clean, the beds were comfortable (we were really concerned about this, but it was a non-issue, we slept really well), the bathroom was also pretty clean (yes - they could get on their knees and scrub all the cement joints in the ceramic shower to make them sparkling clean, but I've seen much worst showers in 3* Marriott and Starwood hotels in the states, without any bad reviews like I've seen here!). I did see a comment about the shower water pressure, and we did get a good scare when my wife took her first shower. She didn't pull the shower control all the way out and was getting dripping water from the shower head. Because someone wrote here that the pressure was horrible, we assumed the reviews were right. But then I took my turn, pulled the shower knob all the way out, and the pressure was reasonable. Air conditioning was also working perfectly well. They have a good setup, with individual pumps for each unit in between buildings and the units are working quite nicely.

The food was also very decent. The variety at the buffet was not outstanding, but everything there was good. I loved their tomato sauce for pasta, it had a nice italian taste to it. What they were grilling to order was mostly always very good. Their deserts tasted like good deserts. It was a bit repetitive on the desert side, but they tasted good so that was OK. The big complain we have with deserts is the lack of ice cream. There was ice cream only once, the day we got in, for lunch. Never after. A real shame! The a-la-carte restaurants were also OK. Nothing outstanding but food was reasonably good. The beach snack bar was making very decent burgers and their fries were great. Only complaint there is that they ran out of chicken fingers real early in the day!

If you go there, you have to try their pizza they make at the Viva Cafe (one of the 2 a la carte restaurant). Not the one they serve at the snack bar by the beach or the buffet, it's not the same. It was as close to a real Italian pizza as I had ever seen in north america. No kidding. Super thin and tasty crust, wood oven, very good tomato sauce and tasty peperoni. It was not the perfect italian pizza, the crust could have been a tad more crusty toward the center, but I can't even find such good italian pizza easily here in Montreal. It was at least 10x better than the pizza we got during our trip at the 5* Sandals Royal Bahamian in Nassau last autumn. I didn't get to have it every night, but the late night snack bar (10pm-2am) is serving this pizza, so you don't have to book the a la carte to taste it, only have to have late night cravings.

Drinks-wise, almost everything was fine there. Good local beer, plenty of choice of drinks. The line could get long at the beach bar, but the inside bar next to the pool was always fine. The coffees they were making at the main bar were also pretty good, they have a very decent espresso machine there, definitely worth trying. There can be a line in the morning, just have to stick around and wait for it to disappear. We didn't wait in line often. The bad thing about their drink offering is really their red wine. As the week went by, it seem to get worst and worst, I just stopped drinking any for the last 2 days. You can order bottles of wines if you feel like it in the a la carte restaurants (their 20$ Chianti was fine), and we saw some people who brought in their own bottles from outside (bought in town) and the staff didn't complain. Another option if you like a good glass of wine with your meal.

Facilities were OK. The site is not super big and we like it that way.

The jacuzzi was really warm, a bit too warm to my liking actually, but the kids loved it and there was no rules keeping them out (which is nice for families, maybe not so nice for couples looking for a quiet time). The kids' pool was really small, but my 2yr old liked it. The main pool is nice by normal resort standards but we didn't mind at all.

The biggest complain we had with the pool was the absence of any kind of shade. There are no umbrellas, and no trees close by the pool. It was impossible to find some shade during day time, and I don't get this. They had placeholders for umbrellas, but no umbrellas. They should really install a couple of them around the pool.

The beach was quite nice. The sand there is amazing, and the beach is really long, extending at least 2 miles in each direction from the resort. What is also nice and annoying at the same time is the presence of sea life and corals/rocks real close to the beach. You could do snorkeling and see fishes 6 feet after getting in the water, but if all you want is swim and enjoy sand under your toes until you get water above your head, you won't like it. There was also plenty of shade on the beach.

It is true that house keeping is inconsistent. As I mentioned above, we had 3 rooms. Depending on the day and room, housekeeping could be done at 11pm or at 4pm, it was really random. It's not the best, but it's not that big of a deal for us either as we would put a sign when our kids were sleeping in the afternoon and they would come back later if they hadn't come already.

The kids club was good at entertaining kids around the main pool. The entertainers were actually doing a fairly good job in trying to get people to participate.

As for entertainment at night, we only watched 2 shows, and both were decent. I don't expect a lot of these though.

If you want to visit the city (Porto Lucaya - where cruise ships stop), you have 3 options:
- borrow a bike for free at the hotel (it's not that far, 3-4 miles maybe?)
- taxi: 15$ each way
- some bus at the corner (1$ - apparently not totally reliable either)
Someone in our party took the taxi and said they were quite nice and entertaining, so it can be a good option if you don't mind the 15$ for the short ride.

In conclusion: i'm not sure what to think of all these bad reviews, but I'm sure glad I didn't read them before booking. I might have missed a quite nice vacation if I had. Please also remember this was by no mean an expensive vacation for us and we rate this accordingly. If we had paid 5-star prices, our expectations would clearly have been higher and our reviews might not have been has good.

Good to know: if you travel internationally, outside of the US, you can't buy alcohol at the airport on the return, or at the hotel. You have to go to porto lucaya to buy it. Rhum is relatively cheap (at least for us canadians) so if anything, it's a good reason to go and visit the city!

Room Tip: Ocean view, renovated rooms in the Bimini section (green buildings) were good.
3 Thank expatgva
Dear customer

I would like to thank you for posting your review about your experience with us.

We are very glad that we were able to accommodate you with a room upgrade.

I also would like to thank you for your kindness in acknowledging our general service and staff.

Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated, because it helps us with our continuous effort in seeking ways to improve our visitor’s experiences.

On behalf of all our staff, I sincerely hope to have the honor to be again at your service in the near future.

Kind Regards
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I just spent a week at the Viva with my family and I was pleasantly surprised upon my arrival. First of, the place was clean and my room was very clean although, as some reviewers pointed out, the hotel in general needs some renovation works. We couldn't control our AC because the control unit was broken and we didn't have a remote control for our TV so the maintenance man came along within 15 minutes to fix all of it.

The raves :

The beach is really nice and you can dive from it to observe 5 to 6 species of fish. Definitely not the best swim I've had but still very pleasant. If you want to stroll down the beach and that's what you like, then you have miles and miles of soft white sand to do just that. A tip for those who want some intimacy on the beach : when on the beach and facing the ocean, go to the left of the beach, after the Clun section. You'll find a lot more room and the beach doesn't seem so crowded. I unfortunately discovered this on my last day!

The food, contrary to many of the reviews I read here before my departure, was much better then some hotels we went to in Cuba and some other destinations. Sure there wasn't a lot to choose from but they came up with theme nights so you get to taste a little bit of different flavors. For the a la carte restaurants, we appreciated the service in all 2 of them but the food is much better at the Italian place. The Asian restaurant is not worth a try, trust me on this one as I am Asian myself!

Room cleaning was really efficient and knowing that we had kids, they always managed to come in the morning so the kids could nap after lunch. Much appreciated.

The rants :

Service in general is close to nil at the resort. Upon our arrival we didn't know that unlike other sun destinations, service to the table was not in the culture. I asked for a glass of wine and was given a dirty look. All he had to do was to tell me that I have to get my wine myself and gently tell me where to go, I wouldn't have mind! The staff was in general not too friendly, hardly smiled and I didn't feel welcome at all. Fortunately, some of the personnel at the buffet felt in love with my 2 year-old daughter so they eventually became a little friendlier and made us feel a little more at ease. Still I left them tips after each meal because they work hard.

The drinks were pretty bland and the mixes used for pina colada and daiquiri never seemed to be ready when we went to order. The wine was bad tasting also. I highly recommend their beer which is a much better choice.

If you have your room closer to the beach (ours were 1133 and 1143), expect lots of noise at night because, for some reason, there is a party thrown every night at the bar near the pool. Yes, you can hear it all and is your sleep is light, you're sure to not to go to sleep well after 2am.

All in all we had a wonderful week at the resort and I don't have much to complain about. Had it been for a better service and less noise from the night parties, I would have given the place a 4 stars. I wouldn't go back there anytime soon but if they renovate the place as they intended to do in September of this year, I would probably give it another try in the future.

Room Tip: If you have kids and travel soon, ask for a room on the first floor as the balconies of the second f...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank knml911
VivaWFortuna, Director General at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for publishing your review on tripadvisor regarding your holidays spent at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

We are glad to know that you found our beach to be nice, enjoyed the services at the a la carte restaurants and overall that you had a wonderful time at the resort.

Our continuous commitment is to provide quality service to all off our guests, as we take our guest's opinion very seriously.Your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve our operations.

Remaining at your complete disposal and hoping to be able to be once again at your service.

Kind regards,

Viva Wyndham Fortuna
Kent, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I've been here for the last five years and have always been pleased. Until now. This was a disappointment. I am a "member" which is supposed to afford extra amenities. Hauling my luggage up the steps is not an amenity. Not having the room cleaned until 4:00 is not an amenity. Calling for help with my luggage and having to haul it down the steps after waiting is not an amenity. The food was tasteless and repetitious. The pool has half the lounges as last year. All in all this trip was very disappointing. Not sure I will be back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Coinlady1956
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay in Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacation, as your comments will assist us in our continuous commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.
Thank you once again for your candor and your patience with us; we appreciate and wish to retain your valued patrons.

Best regards,