“Excellent bargain!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellent bargain!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I gave this place such a high rating not because it's a 5 star resort, but because it is awesome for what it is. The beach was not flooded with people, the staff was super friendly, the non-motorized watersports were fun, and the organized activities were awesome! Room service was good, always had fresh towels, meals were average (although breakfast was probably best, and the Japanese restaurant was nothing special), and unlimited drinks were served quick and with a smile. Each night, they have a one hour show at the theatre, which was always entertaining. All in all, a super good deal. The only complain would probably be the comfort of the bed, it was pretty broken in and I prefer a more firm mattress, but otherwise awesome! One more thing: Mama Inma, she is such a sweetheart. Literally remembers every person she meets, sad to say goodbye to her! (She kind of ran the organized activities)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach on your recent holidays.

I am glad you have a good time and enjoyed our services; we sincerely thank you also for encouraging trip advisor readers to visit us and deeply appreciated your honesty and kindness.

We can't wait for you to be back to have the honor to be at your service!

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (880)
  • Hungarian first
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just got back yesterday and was never so happy to be home. This is NOT a resort, it's an old hotel with meals/drinks included. The food was beyond terrible, the grounds were dirty and unkempt, the beach was equally dirty. The cleaning staff was rude, the bartenders were okay and the kids doing the activities were actually the only bright spot. This place is so understaffed that the lady from guest services was doing the Zumba class by the pool. Those people had many different hats! DON'T waste your money! We were told that the resort was closing the month of September for renovations, but then the staff was telling us they close every September! We were beyond disappointed!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank Shawneb66
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Customer

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this site.

We regret that your experience with us was not a positive one and apologize for not meeting your expectations.

We take our guest’s opinions very serious and therefore rest assured that your comments will be taken as valid points that will assist us in our commitment to continue improving the quality of our services for our future guest.

Once again, thank you for your time and valuable comments.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Clearwater, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Thank you to all of the people before me who put in a Trip Advisor review. When I made my reservation, I saw some good and some bad reviews. I didn't think anything of it. As my trip got closer, I began to see more bad reviews. Then one week prior all of the reviews were bad. I tried to change from this resort to another one but because I was under a certain window, I couldn't change. I wish I had done so anyway. If you can change your reservation, do it, don't stay here!!! Go to Memories!!! We stayed mid-May 2014 for four nights. THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE. We went with low expectations, and the resort couldn't meet even low. I cannot understand how anyone could write a positive review for this place. It was so bad, we paid $600 extra to stay at Memories for the remaining two nights of our four. We are so glad we did because it saved our vacation. If you have ever traveled anywhere before, don't stay here. Change your reservation. It is not a Wyndham property!!! If you have never traveled anywhere and are from the middle of nowhere, you will probably like this place. In Florida, Holiday Inn's and Motel 6's are better than this place. The only good thing is the ocean view, which you can get anywhere on the island and the quality of the toilet paper was surprising very good. Everything else was terrible. I have pictures and could go into detail, but it isn't worth the time. The place is terrible-I can't say it enough. I was so unhappy with my stay and cannot write my review bad enough. It is worse than terrible, it is horrible. Don't stay here. Go to Memories. It is a fantastic all-inclusive resort that is SOOOO much better. Memories is exceptional actually. I cannot see anyone not liking their stay there, and by the way, they share the same ocean view. The best part of this place is the beach, but the beach at Grand Lucaya and Memories is just as good!! They also have a much better location near Pt Lucaya for fun things to do when you want to take a break from the sun. I have been to a lot of places and didn't expect this to be great, but it wasn't even good. It was very poor. I literally was crying that I spent $2K to bring my husband here. They call it a resort and I suppose the grounds count as a resort but the place itself, the amenities and the service is not resort level. Trust me. If you have reservations for June, July, August or early to mid-Sept 2014, don't stay here. Change. It will be worth it. Problems: everything...the room was terrible all the prior reviews were correct, the food and restaurants terrible food bland and birds living in the restaurant, the pool ok but you have to ask them to clean the hot tub, don't expect to relax by the pool, loud music or announcements all day long. No beach service, no call liquor and only ONE beer, not only one draft beer, ONLY ONE BEER, and it is not a light beer. The service was okay but you have to ask for everything and good luck getting it. The worst thing...the actual grounds. I don't think there had been a landscaper there for months before we arrived. It is totally overgrown. The entertainment was very poor, however this is also the only thing I can ding Memories for as their entertainment was terrible too but they have the casino and bars and fun across the street. This place is ridiculous and should not be called a resort. It needs way more than a renovation. It needs to be torn down to the frame and start all over. There is a lot of wasted space that could be used for mini golf etc. The only positive thing I can say is that management did refund the two nights we didn't stay there, but our vacation was ruined for two and a half days, so it doesn't make up for it. That is why I am writing this review. To warn others not to stay here. Go to Memories or go somewhere else altogether!!! This is not a Wyndham property, it is a Viva property. Don't expect Wyndham quality, you won't get it. They need to remove their name. We sailed on the Bahamas Celebration on the way over and back. The little ship is nice and I would recommend it, but I am very unhappy that they booked this resort for me. They need to remove it from their list of choices. Seriously, don't stay here if you have ever traveled anywhere before.

Room Tip: Our room had dead bugs on the floor, live bugs in the towels and sliding glass doors that wouldn'...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Mary Jo R
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of our hotel.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your last visit in our resort.

We are glad you enjoyed our pool, beach and activities offered at the hotel.

Please rest assure that we appreciate your valuable feedback and will definitely use your comments and suggestions to evaluate improvements which will lead us to achieve higher satisfaction levels for all our future visitors.

Kind Regards,

Heber, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Arrived today with a tour group, and we knew when we arrived that there would be a wait until we had access to our room, 4 1/2 hours seems a bit excessive. We finally did get into our room, which is very plain, old and worn out. The resort is "all inclusive" and we did enjoy the pool, beach, kayak, etc. no complaints there. Rooms and food! Wow such low and poor quality! Called maintenance to tell them that there was no hot water to the shower, I had let the water run slowly turning the faucet handle trying to find the hot spot. We had hot water to the sink but not to the shower. The maintenance man arrived, turned it on and said, yes that's as warm as it gets to the shower and left!

Food tonight was Mexican Buffet. It was alright, just hard to understand that if one is serving tacos, chips, etc wouldn't you expect there to be salsa or SOMETHING to put on the taco!

Here for two more nights, wishing I were someplace else!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bbrandt58
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of our hotel.

Kind Regards,

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I am SOOOO glad we stayed here. I read all the the awful reviews and was so worried when booking (but it was what we could afford). We went into it with low expectations but were pleasantly surprised. Was it a 5 star hotel... NO. But it was a good place, beautiful beach, friendly staff (despite what others have said I just think that is their personality). The housekeeping staff was very friendly and helpful. We were upgraded to an ocean view room and I think that made all the difference.
The day after we arrived we had breakfast brought into our room and a huge fruit basket with sparkling wine. Such a great experience.

The food at the buffet was okay, nothing too special but edible. The restaurants that you have to have reservations for were hot, with no air flow and we waited for a bit you could tell they were understaffed. So we just kept eating at the buffet. the late night pizza was the BEST! we would set an alarm just to get up and go get it at 1am lol. yummy woodfire pizza
Overall... great experience. The beach was wonderful, the trapeze was fun and overall just enjoyed the place.
I would recommend it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amanda H
Dear Customer

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach on your recent holidays; we are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and overall had a positive experience.

We also thanks for sharing your positive comments about your stay; it is always a pleasure to receive our guest recognition discovering that our service met their expectations.

Looking forward for your next visit here in Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The best part of this resort is the location. The beach is gorgeous and there is an abundance of white sand and lounge chairs. Located in a remote part of the island, it's perfect for those that want peace and quiet.

However, the rooms are in desperate need of updating. The shower is set up with a handheld nozzle that is attached too low to get under. There always seemed to be a shortage of clean bath towels and hired help.

The food was dreadful. The "cattle call" buffet is located in a huge open non air conditioned room, which is stifling in summer and hot weather. They didn't have adequate servers so silver wear, napkins and buffet items were not kept stocked. Everything seemed dirty and birds and insects were free to join in the feedings.

Alternatives to this were only slightly more appealing. Reservations are required but difficult to obtain at the two other restaurants on site. Bamboo was only marginal and cafe Viva was good but not excellent. The best part of the restaurants was the air conditioned, quiet atmosphere.

The beach bar served concession stand food so if you enjoy french fries, hamburgers and hot dogs and don't mind waiting in long lines, go for it.

What staff they has was polite and helpful but doesn't make up for all the other issues. I would definitely come back to the Bahamas but NeVER again to the Viva! AVOID!!!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Blangefels
Dear Guest

Thank you for visiting us during your recent holidays.

I am glad that despite the reported inconveniences you enjoyed the beautiful beach here in the Bahamas.

We truly regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations regarding our services; I appreciate all your remarks as this will assist us in our continuous commitment to provide quality service to all of our guest.

Once again thank you for your time and valuable comments.

Port Charlotte, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Well to start some people are just over critical, its an all-inclusive not 5 star resort! The food was better than average not once did I see anything or get anything undercooked. The drinks were stronger than any normal drink you buy at a bar and if you tip your bartender a buck or two forget it buzz in two drinks. They do some serious free pour so you are getting more than the standard 1-1 1/2 liquor, bring your cup since they give you small cups. Beer is Bahamian Sands and was a little warm. Not once did I ever come across a rude or nasty person on the entire island and I was there for a week. The staff works hard some from 9 am until the weeee hours of the morning. Remember that everything here is included even providing snorkeling gear, kayaks, paddle boards, windsurfing, and even small sail boats. Trapeze is even offered here and quite fun! I must add that even the public poolside bathrooms are modern and CLEAN.

The big negative is that security is lax, and the beach peddling (including drugs) is ridiculous! We visited two other local hotels and found no beach peddling at all!! The Wyndham has to DO something about this immediately!!!

Even the fish are friendly on the reef!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan B
Dear Customer

Looking forward for your next visit here in Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach and at same time taking the opportunity to invite you to like us in our Facebook page, so you can be the first in receiving our offers allowing you to visit any of our properties in Dominican Republic or Mexico.