We just returned from a long weekend at the Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort and have concluded that ALL of the reviews are right. It’s FANTASTIC & HORRIBLE. It’s Different Strokes for Different Folks.
The 2 biggest pluses were the staff & activities. The young people that are employed there work incredibly long hours all day in the Caribbean heat and then late in to the night yet every time you see them you are met with a smile and a warm greeting. A special Shout-Out goes to Carlos who works days in the Sports House and then night time, he’s one of the performers in the nightly show. He really made our stay; he treated us like ‘Family’ ;) And, there are activities (all which are included) all day long; yoga, Zumba, bingo, contests, dance classes, trapeze lessons, paddle board, kayaks, sailboats … there’s always something to do.
Now for the Fantastic or Horrible question … It really is Different Strokes for Different Folks. We met people who don’t travel often and 20 somethings who thought it was great. A long weekend away from home on a beautiful beach with everything included.
People we spoke with like my husband & I, who are fairly seasoned travelers, had a different opinion. I’ll try to break it down with for tips if you’re going:
* The rooms are pretty bare bones. Clean, not spotless. There is a safe (which they charge $3/nite to use), blow dryer, mini fridge & a coffee pot that if you ask the housekeeping staff, they will provide you coffee so that you can use it. TIP: Enjoy the A/C in your room because it is the only place on property (except for the specialty restaurant) that has A/C. * The beach is undisputedly beautiful! The grounds and buildings have incredible potential but are suffering from years of deferred maintenance. And, with all the empty cups from fruity drinks and drips & dribbles on the tables which are not cleaned, there are tons of bee?hornets buzzing all around. * Food and Beverage – The buffet is not quite to Quincy’s or Golden Corral standards. Most of the hot food is tepid at best, the cold foods are warm and it’s pretty much the same stuff day after day. There are not too many ‘healthy’ eating options. There’s only so much salad & fresh bowls of fruit you can eat! TIP: For breakfast they have an omelet station where you can get something hot & made to order. Lunchtime, go to the Beach Shack where they have burgers, hot dogs & fries; made to order. * Beverages flow freely! Yes, the booze is way watered down (which was OK for me…I’m a lightweight!) TIP: Bring you own insulated Sippy cup, they’ll fill it with whatever you want, whatever the size! * Dress code is VERY resort casual. Since almost none of the areas (dining area & theater included) have A/C, you’ll want to dress light. TIP: Dress up or wear white at your own risk – that lack of sitting areas being cleaned of sticky, fruity stuff mixed with sand & salt water affects the chairs too!
I’m sure there’s more but this is long enough already. If you’re already booked … Go, Make the Most of it & Enjoy! Would I go back there again??? Probably not.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TravelUp, Booking.com, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Hotel Freeport
- Wyndham Hotel Freeport
- Wyndham Freeport
- Viva Fortuna
- Freeport Wyndham
- Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort
- Club Viva Fortuna
- Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island