“It is exactly what it says three stars”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I feel as though it was what you make of it. My room did not have any bugs, with an except of a random fly or mosquito. It was clean, room service came every day, I just got married before we left and to visit Viva Wyndham and the gave us two bottles of rum, champagne, fruit tray, free picture they tried to make it nice for us. I would say I wouldn't pay full price to go here but I wouldn't go three times for the money I spent, we paid 1,450 for round trip for two and 5days and 4 nights, all the food was not wonderful but I sure you can find things that you like, we ate pizza, hamburgers, my husband have lasagna at one of the restaurants and chicken and beef fried rice at another, we had a good time. You get what you pay for so if you want 4 and 5 star be willing to pay 2000 to 3000 just for hotel and get waited on every 3 seconds. OK to the people complaining about taxi $15 to 25 dollars, the gas is over $5 a gallon people. The resort is all inclusive not the things outside of it. And no we are not trailer trash or dump black people that been know were. We are a young African American married couple who make over 90,000 a year and have been to more 4 and 5 star hotels however this was a nice mini vacation and it states 3 star you want more pay more. The works are mostly helpful they were a couple I could do without. It is what you make it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ebony S
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach on your recent holidays.

I am glad you have a good time and enjoyed our services; we sincerely thank you also for encouraging trip advisor readers to visit us and deeply appreciated your honesty and kindness.

We can't wait for you to be back to have the honor to be at your service!

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Where to begin..... This trip was purchased as a Groupon Getaway and because I feel Groupon is a reputable company, I felt okay about the purchase. I was VERY wrong. Upon getting to the resort, we had to wait in a very long line to check in in the un-airconditioned lobby only to find out we had to come back again at 3:00 to actually get room keys and get into our room. We then attempted to make dinner reservations at the only two "fine dining" restaurants on the property only to find out that they were booked the next two nights and only got a 9:00 reservation on our third night at Bamboo and a 7:30 reservation for our last night at Viva. At this point, having had no lunch, we went to get something to eat at the buffet restaurant which again, has no air conditioning. The food is absolutely horrendous. Has no taste and is, honestly, scary to even eat due to the temperature it's sitting out in all day and the birds and bugs flying around constantly. The staff is rude and unfriendly and the accommodations unclean. After this very bad first impression we finally were able to check into our room which was ocean front. The view was spectacular and the room acceptable. The floor was somewhat sandy but the bedding looked clean as did the bathroom. The one thing this resort cannot ruin or has not figured out how to ruin yet is the beach. It is gorgeous and we lived on the beach the whole trip because anywhere in the resort is unbearable. The service overall is HORRIBLE. The staff is rude, there is never enough of them, and you wait forever for everything. Getting burgers and fries from the beach grill easily takes an hour just waiting in line. Getting clean towels is a struggle. Once we finally made it to Bamboo for our first dinner reservation, we were once again disappointed. The food was definitely a step up from the buffet but not particularly hot, good, or a very big portion. This is the caliber of food that should have been found at the buffet - not the inedible excuse of food that was there. We never went to Viva because we couldn't take anymore of the awful food. Nothing was done at the time it was promised - 10:00 pizza was more like 10:30, beach burgers supposedly starting at 11:00 am was more like 11:45/12:00. The Vacation Express Rep was nice and understanding of our complaints and agreed that things were bad and seem to be getting worse. Is anyone doing anything about this? Where is the management? Is there management? Check out day was a challenge because we had to be out of our rooms by 11:00 but not picked up until 12:50 to go to the airport. There was nothing to eat because the buffet didn't open until 12:30 and the beach grill that supposedly started cooking at 11:00 didn't serve food until almost 12:00. There is no where to go that is air conditioned except your room, so once we checked out, that was it for comfort. We managed to have a great trip despite our horrible accommodations. We frequented the Sands beach bar down the beach for many meals (they are wonderful) as well as taking taxis into Port Lucayah for shopping and restaurants. We pretty much tried to stay out of the resort as much as possible. My overall advice is do not go to this resort. It is not worth it.

Room Tip: Make sure to request an ocean front room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank stostenson
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Customer

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this site.

We regret that your experience with us was not a positive one and apologize for not meeting your expectations.

We take our guest’s opinions very serious and therefore rest assured that your comments will be taken as valid points that will assist us in our commitment to continue improving the quality of our services for our future guest.

Once again, thank you for your time and valuable comments.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We just returned from a long weekend at the Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort and have concluded that ALL of the reviews are right. It’s FANTASTIC & HORRIBLE. It’s Different Strokes for Different Folks.

The 2 biggest pluses were the staff & activities. The young people that are employed there work incredibly long hours all day in the Caribbean heat and then late in to the night yet every time you see them you are met with a smile and a warm greeting. A special Shout-Out goes to Carlos who works days in the Sports House and then night time, he’s one of the performers in the nightly show. He really made our stay; he treated us like ‘Family’ ;) And, there are activities (all which are included) all day long; yoga, Zumba, bingo, contests, dance classes, trapeze lessons, paddle board, kayaks, sailboats … there’s always something to do.

Now for the Fantastic or Horrible question … It really is Different Strokes for Different Folks. We met people who don’t travel often and 20 somethings who thought it was great. A long weekend away from home on a beautiful beach with everything included.
People we spoke with like my husband & I, who are fairly seasoned travelers, had a different opinion. I’ll try to break it down with for tips if you’re going:

* The rooms are pretty bare bones. Clean, not spotless. There is a safe (which they charge $3/nite to use), blow dryer, mini fridge & a coffee pot that if you ask the housekeeping staff, they will provide you coffee so that you can use it. TIP: Enjoy the A/C in your room because it is the only place on property (except for the specialty restaurant) that has A/C. * The beach is undisputedly beautiful! The grounds and buildings have incredible potential but are suffering from years of deferred maintenance. And, with all the empty cups from fruity drinks and drips & dribbles on the tables which are not cleaned, there are tons of bee?hornets buzzing all around. * Food and Beverage – The buffet is not quite to Quincy’s or Golden Corral standards. Most of the hot food is tepid at best, the cold foods are warm and it’s pretty much the same stuff day after day. There are not too many ‘healthy’ eating options. There’s only so much salad & fresh bowls of fruit you can eat! TIP: For breakfast they have an omelet station where you can get something hot & made to order. Lunchtime, go to the Beach Shack where they have burgers, hot dogs & fries; made to order. * Beverages flow freely! Yes, the booze is way watered down (which was OK for me…I’m a lightweight!) TIP: Bring you own insulated Sippy cup, they’ll fill it with whatever you want, whatever the size! * Dress code is VERY resort casual. Since almost none of the areas (dining area & theater included) have A/C, you’ll want to dress light. TIP: Dress up or wear white at your own risk – that lack of sitting areas being cleaned of sticky, fruity stuff mixed with sand & salt water affects the chairs too!

I’m sure there’s more but this is long enough already. If you’re already booked … Go, Make the Most of it & Enjoy! Would I go back there again??? Probably not.

Room Tip: We reserved a King bed room. When we got there they said they had none available. I don't know t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank FlaWolffie

Dear Customer

Thank you visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort on your recent holidays.

We appreciate also the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacation, as we take our guest's opinion very seriously. Your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve our operations.

We are glad that despite the reported inconveniences you enjoyed the hospitable staff along with the beautiful beach here in Bahamas.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

First of all let me start by introducing myself, My name is Pedro, some of you my remember me as the guy who used to win almost all the bottles of rum at the activities games lol. My wife, my 2 kids (8 and 3 year old) and myself stayed at this resort from june 28 to july 6 and we have been home less than 6 hours. at first we were a bit scared because of all the bad reviews we read on here but let me tell you Please do not believe all the bad reviews people write, only the ones who expect more are the ones that write all the bad stuff. let me start by telling everyone that CHECK-IN IS AT 3 PM. i don't know why people complain if it is stated on their website, people mention it here and even your travel provider will mention it to you, it is the hotel policy, don't expect to get there at 9 am and have a room ready just for you. we arrived from to this hotel at 9:30 am and we already knew what to expect and what to do. checked in, left our luggage at the storage room and we headed to the pool area, won my first bottles of rum, had a few drinks, went for lunch and by the time we realized, it was 3 pm, time to get our room keys together with the beach towel cards. we got room number 1163, our room was just perfect. very clean, soft mattress, clean bed sheet, clean comforter, cold AC, hot water to shower every time, a plasma TV, coffee bag, coffee maker, toilet paper (amazing and soft) soap, shampoo, clean towels every day, a garbage can and yes our room was cleaned every single day and bed sheets changed whenever we requested. this was just more than enough for the 8 hours we used to spend at night in our room to sleep. we were there to have fun and not to spend time in our room.
Now the entertainment people are amazing, they try everything possible for you to have a good time and they always have a smile on their face. Baby Chyna, Mama Inma, Sexy Ariani, Carlos, Dylan, Jennifer, Mark were always there to help. The darts games, volleyball game, bingo games, kids games, dancing lessons, every single activity was always good. The trapeze is a must, my 8 year old son would spend hours at the trapeze and he would always be the first one in line. Dylan and Mark were always patient with the kids. water activities were fun too. The shows at night were good too, different shows every night and people if you have kids there is a mini disco at the theatre every night at 9 pm just before the show. kids enjoy dancing and singing so make sure bring your kids to have a good time. now the food, i think it was good, there was always something good to eat, I'm ok with anything, I'm not picky but yea food was always hot and freshly made. the omelet lady in the morning was so adorable and amazing, she knew what i would get for me and my family and her omelets and fry eggs were good. yes there is no AC at the restaurant but in 8 days that i spend there eating 3 times a day, i did not find any day that ac was necessary in there, it is not hot like some people say, the only bad thing about the restaurant was that sometime there would be no utensils at the tables, you would have to get it yourself but hey i didn't mind it because at home i get my utensils myself too. yes there are flies but i don't think is the hotel's fault, they can not control that and there were NO BIRDS in the restaurant like some people mentioned in here. there was also freshly made hamburgers, fries, hot dogs and nuggets by the beach bar, get ready to wait in line because they are good and people just love it, the girl who would make the hamburgers was friendly and always had a smile on her face. For a la carte restaurant, i only recommend you the Italian restaurant because it was good, as for the Asian a la carte, do not waste your time because food is nothing impressive and not enough to get you full, everyone that was at the restaurant had to go to the buffed right after.
The drinks at the bar were always good, i read people say that the drinks were not strong enough but let me ask you something, i know people go there to have a good time but do people really need to get drunk to have a good time?
as for the hotel itself, yes some areas need to be renovated, but that did not stop us from having a good time. There was always toilet paper in all washrooms at the hotel and they were always clean.
The only negative thing i have to say about this place is about the hotel guests, not the workers, i saw some pictures that people posted on here of a broken washroom door knob in a room, a broken door in the room wardrobe. i mean do people really go and look at this stuff? there is no such a thing as perfect but who does this things? who breaks this doors i'm pretty sure is not the people that work there and when they get back charged in their credit cards, they will try to make this hotel look like garbage. if people would take care after themselves, this place would look much better, i myself picked up some of the hamburger trays that people would just leave around the pool and at the beach (i did not see any cigarette butts on the beach like people said on here), people would just finish their drinks and throw their cups anywhere, that is just disgusting, i guess that is how they live at home, it wouldn't hurt people just walk a few meters and bring the trays back or putting your cup in the garbage bins that are everywhere in the property. people think that because this is an all inclusive,they would snap their fingers and someone would be there to clean up for them. it doesn't work that way. people need to be more clean. and then they complain that this hotel is dirty. it is not, because i witnessed the hotel people cleaning the pool, workers cleaning every morning around the pool and beach area, i saw the ground keepers cutting the grass, taking care of the flowers but i guess some people look at things differently. Remember one thing, this people at the hotel work very long hours sometimes 12 to 14 hours and they only make $400 to $500 a month, we should have more respect for them and make their job easy, if you want a 5 star service, there is no such a thing, not even at a 5 star resort because people will always find something to point at.
Yes i would recommend this hotel but remember, this is a 3 star and go with an open mind, enjoy your vacation and bring back good memories. have fun people and im really sorry about the long review but i wanted to be sure people would read this before they go to viva wyndham fortuna beach

PS: try visiting the marketplace on Friday or Saturday night, it gets good with live bands and alot of dancing at the main square.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank p_pons83

Dear Customer

Reading your review gives us great satisfactory and the chance to discover that we were able to provide you a with positive experience.

We sincerely thank you also for encouraging trip advisor readers to visit us; we deeply appreciated your honesty and kindness.

Hoping to have the chance to be once again at your service for another even better vacation.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I went in thinking it's what you make of it, right? Within days, my patience wore thinner and thinner.

The good: The beach, the ocean.

The bad: No drinks or bottled water in your fridge like most "resorts."
My college dining hall had better food, not to mention air conditioning. The only a/c is in your room.
Our first morning, we booked for the only "restaurant" w/ any openings (on our last night--it's first come, so was already booked almost a week out), Viva, the Italian spot. It looks like a restaurant and they give you wine! (no wine in the D hall), but it goes downhill when the food comes. My Italian fish was served wrapped up in a burning hot tin foil pouch I had to open. It was steamed with carrots and potatoes, the latter underdone, everything else overdone. The fish had 2 slices of canned black olive, and sprinkled with dry oregano seasoning. Some pepper slivers, no tomato in sight. BF had an overcooked piece of lasagna, with mushy noodles. We tipped the waitress and just walked out.
The other restaurant was closed the whole week.
VIP members receive priority treatment. There is a separate area for them to dine (the area in the pro photos on this site) and a lower area on the buffet level for the plebes. You have to fight for utensils and napkins. Drinks are from the fountain machines. The meat is unrecognizable and the eggs have weird things in them like celery. Frozen pizza.
VIP members get served at the bar first, even if you have been waiting for 15, 20 minutes. They get special, extra large mugs and plebes get small plastic cups.
Bartenders are not pleasant, except one guy Markus who was actually cheerful and smiled one time.
Public bathrooms lost electricity and water our last day--we were checked out but had to wait for our transport.
No water in your fridges or room service of any kind. Forget about buying a bottle to bring to your room. The gift shop sells Gatorade and snacks because the food and drinks suck.
Bar smells like a fraternity lodge. EXACTLY like.
They have a towel shortage & take your towels in the morning, wash them, & bring them back in the evening, so forget about showering between those hours. No washcloths available ever.
We only had decaf coffee in our room, and the maid said she didn't have any either.
The coffee in the D hall is like dirty dish water.
Bar is covered in bees. Room is full of mosquitos.
Bar frequently runs out of things like, RUM.
On checkout they ran out of storage and guests had to just leave their bags unattended in the lobby.
You have to pay $20 to use a beach towel.
This place can barely call itself a functioning hotel much less a resort.

Room Tip: Beachside room will give you a vestige of hope to get out alive.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lexxeebee

Dear Customer

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this site.

Once again, thank you for your time and valuable comments.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Flies on food. Clean towels every three day. Toilet didn't flush. Food Horrible. Fine dining was even worst!!! Weak drinks. Watered down disgusting wine. Hamburgers and fries on beach saved is from starvation. Pizza was good but everyone is in line waiting on it because it's the only thing you have to eat after 10pm.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank MISSISSIPPIChic

Dear Guest

We appreciate you for taking the time and sharing your impression with us through trip advisor.

I deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectation and any inconvenience you may have experienced during your past visit.

Rest assure that your feed back is very important for us, because it always allow us to revise our standard and the quality of our services on a day by day basis.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to have the opportunity of regaining your trust the next time you visit Freeport,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I highly recommend not attempting a stay at this all-inclusive hotel. We got it as a package deal with Celebration cruise line from West Palm Beach. The cruise arranged buses to the hotel after we docked and about 50 of us arrived to check in at 10:30. We stood in a VERY slow line for over an hour to be told that at 3 PM we should come back and stand in line again to get our key. The check in process is very tedious. As rooms get cleaned they do not release them...We had an 88 year old in our family group of 14 and we asked for just one room so we could put our luggage in it and the 88 year old could rest. No was the answer. When we got our rooms there were no towels, when we called the answer was, they are being washed and when they are dry we will bring them to the rooms. Really Wyndam?? You do not have enough towels to replace the dirty ones?
Then ne room had 2 Queen beds and one of the beds had collapsed on one leg, with housekeeping just making it and letting someone check in. Air conditioning did not work in that particular room either. The maintenance man came promptly but admitted that as hard as the staff works they are understaffed and cannot deliver even average service. We tried to get reservations in either of the specialty restaurants but they were full for both days. So we ate all our meals in the non airconditioned buffet. The buffet regularly ran out of plates, utensils (they were being washed we were told) and several times no coffee cups near the coffee. I will say that the food was decent, warm and appeared fresh but by this time my expectations were so low, I would have been happy with anything, The ocean is beautiful, the pool was nice but none of that makes up for the lack of staff and disorganization.

Room Tip: IF you already have a reservation and cannot get out of it, get a room close to the main lobby. The...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank LATEEDAH

Dear Guests

We appreciated you for taking the time and sharing with impression with us thru trip advisor.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach? Share your experiences!