Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Royal Islander(Freeport)
4,827 results
All reviewsviva cafeanimation staffnightly showslasagnadance lessonsstar resortkids clubnachosa la carte restaurantsping pongpaddle boardswater shoesbad reviewseither directionafter reading the reviewsbanana bayplenty of chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2014

If you are on the fence about whether or not to book this room based off the reviews, believe the negative ones!!! This place is a certified dump, don't let the pictures fool you. Lets start with the rooms: ripped comforter, broken door handles...the room door had to be slammed multiple times in order for it to shut properly...sliding balcony handle also broken, double bed instead of King bed...from what I saw, all the rooms have double beds. We checked in at 3:00, went to the room to discover that it was still occupied by guest who had a late check, super awkward barging in on people half undressed. Now lets talk about amenities: wifi only worked 1 out of 5 days we were there, if you want to play pool you have to leave a $50 cash deposit to play on a raggedy table with busted seams, dining and bar areas are infested with flys and bees, any snorkeling or kayaking you want to do, prepare for at least a hour wait, entertainment was a joke, food was terrible...bland and repetitive...dining hall was a hot bug trap, I barely wanted to eat any of the food due to the flys having their way with the uncovered food, now lets talk about the beach: absolute filthy and covered with seaweed...on our last day we saw someone finally clean the seaweed off the shoreline, the water temperature was perfect but you will risk losing a foot due to the humongous rocks and boulders in the water...it was so bad that I didn't bother getting in the water because it is impossible to walk and maneuver, if you prefer to lay out and tan, prepare to be eaten alive by Mosquitos. I have never seen so many bugs on a beach in my life. Me and my husband spent well over $200 on food outside of the resort so we wouldn't starve to death. The Sand Bar is a 10min walk down the beach and their food is good but pricey. $9 for three chicken wings with no fries, $9 for a ceaser salad, $2 for a can soda etc but it will save you $30 in cab fair. It cost $15 each way to catch a cab to leave the resort. The resort was so bad that I wanted to check out the first day! I'm by no means hard to please or did I have unrealistic expectations, but this place needs to be shut down. They are robbing people. If you think that the negative reviewers are probably just being picky, let me tell you this is not the case. Even the natives speak poorly of the resort. When we checked in at the airport, the clerk asked about our experience and when we told him where we stayed, he made the "yikes" face and upgraded our seats.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank goodusernamestaken
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest

We appreciate your valuable feedback with your comments and concerns related to your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach so that we can more effectively direct our efforts to provide the high quality facilities and services all our visitor deserve.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience you may have experience and we really sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Once again thank you for your honest and valuable comments.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Bahamas are beautiful and the staff at the resort are wonderful and very entertaining...however the resort itself is very disappointing. The website says they will be closed in sept. for 2 months for maintenance. This is loooong over due. While a lot of it is cosmetic, there were many, many things broken. I was traveling with 28 other friends and family members, so it wasn't just our room. Things like missing handles on the sliding doors leading to the balcony (couldn't go outside).....broken switches on thermostats (so rooms were either very cold or hot) and could not be adjusted....not enough towels and no wash cloths...slider for the closet door broken ( could not get to hanger area).....broken plastic chairs around the pool...broken handles on the outdoor showers (couldn't use some).....walls appeared dirty in rooms....rotted out wood on bottom of bathroom doors...lots of stains on the white comforters....just to name a few.. The staff worked around the clock to help keep the guest happy and truly tried to make up for the lousy conditions. Wyndham should be ashamed of this resort!

Room Tip: Find another resort until they due some serious overhaul of this place!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Sunshine2014466

Dear Guest

Once again thank you for your honest and valuable comments.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This by far, was the worst, most poorly managed resort we've ever been to. Upon our arrival, we were met with ridiculously long lines inside a humid, congested lobby. We were told we could grab a bite until our room was ready so we headed toward the beach bar. Unfortunately, the couple next to us left their plate unattended for a few seconds and as a result we were attacked by birds. We also found out that day that a shark had been swimming close to shore and we would not be able to get in the ocean. Ironically, we didn't get in the water the entire trip because the beach was completely unacceptable. It was unkept, with seaweed everywhere. We have never been to a resort where the beach was not cleaned everyday. I couldn't even take a romantic walk along the beach with my husband without debris getting stuck between our toes. It was gross. The pool was even more of a joke. It was over-populated with people and MORE birds, which needless to say was even more of a turn-off than its small size that's expected to accommodate an entire resort. The food was reprehensible. I would probably enjoy better options in prison. It was season-less, unappetizing, and seemingly unsanitary. The buffet food was left uncovered, leaving our meals to be shared with the influx of flies, bees and mosquitoes. Such an insult. The room was a whole other heap of issues. It was only my husband and I traveling, but the front desk booked us double beds. When we tried to change rooms, we were told they only had one other available, which was on the lower level "garden view." Another joke. The so-called "garden" was un-landscaped grass which hosted a basketball "court" and soccer goals. Our bedding was dirty, with blood spots on the comforter and crusty material on the pillows. Housekeeping would neglect to replace our wash cloths daily, which would force us to have to call the front desk and literally wait for HOURS for someone to come. Structurally, the resort is not built efficiently and quite frankly, a waste of space. With the frequency of rain there, they should have more covered walkways and direct paths to the rooms, restaurants and public restrooms. Most importantly, they should take some of those areas they call "gardens" and build more swimming pools for the guests. Obviously, I could go on and on. The only upside to any part of our "vacation" was meeting "Coco" the lifeguard, "Mama-ima," pool activities manager, and Giovanni, the bartender. Which leads me to my last point - the drinks were terrible! It was of no fault to the bartenders, but the alcohol was the cheapest, most watered down liquor I have ever had. Otherwise Coco, Mama-ima and Giovanni deserve a promotion to a better, more professional resort. The rest of the place should be condemned. PS - They say they are closing for renovations in October for 45 days. Trust me, that is NOT enough time to refurbish that resort. They need at least 6 months to bring it into this millennium. Freeport is not bad, but that resort is. Wyndham should be ashamed to have it attached to its brand.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank NYGin

Dear Guest

We appreciated you for taking the time and sharing with impression with us through trip advisor.

I deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectation and any inconvenience you may have experienced during your past visit.

Rest assure that your feed back is very important for us, because it always allow us to revise our standard and the quality of our services day by day.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have stayed at this resort three times now. We are a family of 4 and its nice to have adjoining rooms. First the location can't be beat! The beach the resort sits on is truly one of the best I've stayed on! Snorkeling is okay out in front.You can walk peacefully in either direction for miles. The rooms on the beach are good, clean and simple, nothing fancy. I come here for the beach and going into town to dine at night. The resort offers fun entertainment in the evening and their entertainment staff is beyond wonderful and amazing! My adult kids love the nightly disco, its nice for them to have something to do at night. I have to highly complement Laura and her yoga classes I really enjoyed them! She is everything an entertainment coordinator should be! Working so hard to make sure everybody has a great time! Mama Imma, and Cathy along with the entire entertainment staff do a great job pleasing the guests! The beach grill lady is very sweet and helpful. I had requested rooms since it was my sons 18th birthday celebration and we didn't receive them until the 2nd and 3rd day but Claudio the manager did everything he could to make our vacation good. The one staff person that truly made our vacation was Loyda from guest services! Loyda was professional and courteous and very sweet and helpful! We have been fortunate to always have Carol as our maid and she's wonderful and keeps our rooms very clean. What the resort really needs to do is to close, and update the rooms!!!The buffet isn't as good as it used to be but Lavern makes delicious omletes! Put the bacon back on the buffet line. If they do some little improvements I would pay more for that. They desperately must close and update to continue to have returning guests. The Italian restaurant is good, but a cab ride into town gave us better choices and satisfaction. Upon arrival at the airport we grabbed some rum, wine, vodka, and beer since the resort offers only low quality alcohol. This is something I advise you to do if you want a decent drink. I do hope they make some upgrades since they are desperately needed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach are best.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Customer

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to once again serve you at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach during your recent vacations.

We are very happy to know that you had a good and relaxing time while vacationing at our resort.

We also would like to thank you for your suggestions; we definitely appreciated them and will use it to evaluate improvements for all our future visitors.

Warmest regards from the sunny Bahamas!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

First off let me say I traveled with 9 other family members, we had 4 rooms total. My parents had an ocean front room that offered a spectacular view of the ocean. My husband and I stayed in room 3125 at the back of the resort (it's a LONG walk carrying your luggage, be prepared). The room was ok ~ it was clean, water was hot and the A/C kicked butt. That's all we were looking for, didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway. My brother and his family had to move to a new room 1/2 way through their stay as the shower head broke off, but the staff was very accommodating and acted quickly. My sister and her family on the other hand asked repeatedly for a phone that worked, the A/C didn't work and she had to manipulate the front door to get it to stay locked! Like I said though, we went for the outdoor activities.
The snack bar at the beach was a great place to grab lunch or drinks, the staff there was very friendly. They served hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken , fries and all the fixings every day. The smaller kids (7 and 9) helped themselves conveniently.
Pool and beach were fantastic, towel exchange is kind of a pain, as they seem to run out more often than they are stocked, but I had brought my own. They also offer a lot of water activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boarding, etc. Snorkel masks are limited and the ones they have really need to be replaced, I would suggest bring your own. Snorkeling was wonderful right off the beach.
Viva Pizza was fantastic, some of the best pizza I’ve ever had. The buffet dining hall can get a little warm, I’d recommend sitting by a window if you can. We made reservations in the sit down restaurants as often as possible, they have a complete wait staff and air conditioning during dinner hours.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are newly renovated or newer.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rwithersfl

Dear Guest

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach during your recent vacations.

We are also happy that we were able to provide you with you with a great overall experience.

We truly appreciate your preference and hope to welcome you back in the future for another great time.

Best regards,