“Stay here and be a Second Class Guest” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
new orleans
“Stay here and be a Second Class Guest”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

1. Immediately upon checkin, before you can get to your room, you are accosted in the lobby by time-share sales people. they don't understand the words," Not Interested."
2. If you are not a "Viva" or "RCI' member using those points for this trip, you are not allowed into the best restaurant seating, the best beach seating, or the best internet lounge. Premium liquors are displayed at the bar, "for Viva or RCI Members Only," if you are just a paying guest you get the cheap liquor.
3. Beach is very nice, if you get wet, you only can have one beach towel per day, and they use a hand-written log book. It may take 10 minutes to get a fresh towel.
4. Bartenders do not have common mixers like "tonic water." drink recipes are unique, for example, I asked for a margarita. It was made with club soda! Tasted like sewage.
5. Asked a housekeeper for an extra towel, reply: "You have two towels, NO MORE!"
6. Internet works about 15% of the time.
7. CHeck in staff is very poorly trained.
8. My door was cracked around the door lock. I could have punched it open. Not secure.
9. Mold on ceilings, musty smell...Hot water? sometimes.......

Room Tip: Avoid this property. Viva Wyndhams in the Caribbean are not known for being efficient or pleasant...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sailinron
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as a choice of destination.

We are glad that despite inconveniences experienced that you enjoyed our beautiful beach here in the Bahamas.

We appreciated your valuable feedback and suggestions; Please rests assure that we consider all our guest opinion as tools that help us to increase continuously our visitor satisfaction.

Hoping that you decide come back, so that we may provide you with a Grand Ole Viva time.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (880)
  • Hungarian first
Long Island, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

DO NOT GO TO WYNDHAM FORTUNA BEACH HOTEL IN FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND MISREPRESENTATION FALSE ADVERTIZEMENT This place was the worst place I have ever been to. Its dirty, run down and the pics are a bunch a crap if i ever did see. You come up to a place with no happiness, just waiting on line for 2 HOURS with no offer of a drink. Mind you there is no air conditioner while you wait I asked for water because I felt like I was going to pass out!!! Then you have to take your own bags to a dirty room to the bellhop man, who was only one man, who was a sweaty man. NO music no drinks no help what so ever. Then they send you on your way to NO room until later. Well, while waiting on a hot beach or pool in your cloths, the only food available is hot dogs and burgers (on line again) only to find no cheese then no buns!! We swam in our cloths because we couldn't get our suits. There was no room to cool off! Should they have told us to get our swimsuits? Well, after 5 hours of waiting on the beach and forcing down a burger you get to your room and ask where are our luggage!!! well, you have to go to the same dirty room and pick them up yourself. Also, people who were on the second floor had to carry there bags up alone. Especially the elderly. So, dinner is coming and you go to a cafeteria type place where there is no air conditioner there, sweat is dripping off you and the workers are sweating while cooking for you. All week long the same food!!! birds are flying on your bread, All food out in the hot sweaty place to eat. the two nice restaurants that you have a choice to go are no good. Maybe one good appetizer! One on them was hot too!!! Then you only get ONE TOWEL per day. so, from pool to beach is only one towel, which the towels are ripped up!!! I argued to get a dry towel!! I got it. If you didn't return your towel you were charged 20. then NO POOL SERVICE no food!!!! Same room for food, same hot dogs and burgers. Drinks stunk!! the kids had nothing to do. The entertainment was a camp school show. Mind you some of the people were nice. No one knew where anything was. It was a disorganized if I every saw. The archery was a joke!! there were poison ivy where you went and the arrows where broken up. I came up to the archery man, I asked him if this is where you play. he was so wasted and stoned I was wondering when he was going answer us. Meanwhile my children are watching this. So, he shows us and then I shoot the broken arrow. I ask him well are you going to get the arrows for us? He says no you get them yourself!!! Then leaves and goes in the gym to sleep!! Also, a guest who showed us how to do it says, people were shooting arrows and others were going down to get arrows. How dangerous!!! mind you only 4 arrows were left. Now, there were two ping pong tables and one pool table. Well, there was only one set of paddles and one set of pool gear. You had to put a down deposit on them to get them. there was never a set to play!! Only 10 snorkel goggles for the whole hotel!! Thanks God we did the excursions which were very good!! but they aren't cheap! Now the music by the pool was a few song but the same. There was no food there, no food service for your room. It was Not even worth a Star!!!! DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL IT WAS THE WORST HOTEL. MANAGED POORLY, DIRTY, THE GROUNDS WERE WEEDS AND OVER GROWN GRASS. The finely decided to clean up the grass only to do it while you were sitting there and grass and clippings were flying every where.!!!!! DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL THIS IS MISREPRESENTATION ON THE WEBSITE. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! I ALSO COULDNT POST A REVIEW ON ONE OF THERE SITES Everyone at that hotel said they were so unhappy and were calling to complain!!! Everyone. We talked to people who were there and have never seen anything like this!!!! At the end we had to wait for a bus outside in the heat and carry our bags again!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT GO TO WYNDHAM FORTUNA BEACH HOTEL IN FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND This place was the worst pl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank MFischer63
Dear Customer

We really appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacation.

We regret that your experience with us was not a positive one and apologize for not meeting your expectations

Your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The service staff was unhelpful, unfriendly, and slow. The guest services staff couldn't even get me a reservation at a restaurant, a nice cab driver helped me with that. There were so many flies on the food, in the cafeteria it made my stomach turn. I ended up going to the store and buying food to eat in the room. One day I was going to get a drink from the soda machine in the open bar. There were so many flies swarming around it. One fly was on the spicket where the drink comes out of and I could see the fly sucking the syrup from the spicket. (I can still see the visual, it makes me want to vomit.) I told my daughter she could get soda from there.

I had to change rooms because the first room I was assigned had not been maintained (bathroom was filthy, and moldy) the faucet and light fixture were almost entirely covered in rust. The toilet overflowed and the staff didn't want to come fix it. I had to turn the water off behind the toilet myself. The room we moved to had no towels. i spoke with several guests who had no towels in their rooms. Everyday, there seemed to be a line of guests complaining of no towels.

It did not appear that the housekeeping staff cleaned my room. It seemed they just took away (not replaced) the towels and made beds. My daughter's mattress was so old and worn out it had a HUGE dip in the middle.

This place was not close to any attractions or the freeport downtown area. we had to take a taxi everywhere. $15 each way for a trip anywhere.

I complained to the manager, who promised to refund some of the moneys paid for the trip. i am yet to receive any communication about it.

DO NOT STAY HERE. I repeat DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: If you are considering staying here, the best rooms are the ones at other hotels.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank k b s
Dear Guest

We appreciate you for taking the time and sharing your impression with us regarding your stay through trip advisor.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your past visit.

Rest assure that your feedback is very important to us, as it always allows us to revise our standard and the quality of our services on day by day basis.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

When we arrived at 12 noon, we were told check in was at 3pm and we needed to leave our bags in the lobby till that time (the baggage area was full). We had 3 boring, hot hours to roam around the resort (there is no air conditioning anywhere except the rooms). We finally checked in and headed to our room. There are no elevators, so be sure you ask for a room on the first floor if you cannot climb stairs. Our room was decent. There was rust on the floor and the toilet didn't flush very well. There were no lights in the bedside lamps, but other than that, the room wasn't terrible. The beach is beautiful. The water is clear. The pool area is close to the restrooms so in certain spots it smelled like pee and poop. The towel girls were polite. The food was less than good. The dining hall is not air conditioned, so you will be enjoying your meals in 90 degree sticky heat. The breakfast items were good. Lunch and dinner were okay, but we stuck to French fries and bread for the most part. Late night pizza was good, except for the feral cats roaming around. The staff was generally less than friendly. They did what we asked them to do and answered our questions, but no one went out of their way to be friendly to us, except the blonde lady at guest services (very nice). The cleaning staff always had something nice to say as well. Everyone else acted like we were an annoyance. Lots of families so don't expect a relaxing adult vacation. Check out was 11am, so we waited another 2 hours in the heat for our flight. There is no early/late check in, by the way. Not even 15 minutes- we asked! The resort was run down- needed to be painted, cracks in the floors needed repairing, a good cleaning was in order. Apparently, the report will be undergoing a face life/renovation this year, so here's hoping it gets better.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MeredithHill27
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest

We appreciate your valuable feedback with your comments and concerns related to your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach so that we can more effectively direct our efforts to provide the high quality facilities and services all our visitors deserve.

We are glad that despite the reported inconveniences you enjoyed the beautiful beach here in Bahamas.

Rest assure that all the remarks are considered very important and will be revised in detail with all our staff and department involved.

Lugano, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

The property looks very old and needs serious upgrades. Rooms are just ok.
We enjoyed the vacation though : the staff is extremely friendly and the atmosphere is overall positive.
the buffet restaurant is dirty and food is just ok. When full the food runs out quickly and you might not see everything coming out again.
The italian restaurant is very good, the asian is nice looking but awful food.
for those who dare, the trapeze is a nice experience.
the beach is ok but far from the ones you can find in other places in the Bahamas.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrea6900
Dear Customer

Thank you for publishing your review on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacation, as your comments will assist us in our continuous commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.

I am glad that you enjoyed some aspect of the facilities and service but at the same time truly regret that the rest of your experience was negative.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The staff is very helpful Riccardo helped us with our luggage and was happy to do so. The 1st room was run down and had ants in it the front desk ladies were nice enough to give us a nicer room with a view at no extra charge , when it came to the islands excursions jamaal in guest services knew everything and who to contact to get somewhere with out getting ripped off he suggested Mr Larry. Mr Larry has all the toys you need to have fun on the island...jet ski's wave runner's scooters and jeeps at a good price. The resort itself needs some TLC.. The food at the buffet is avg. But if you can book something at the restaurant on site the Italian one is best. When it came to the all inclusive drinks farantino made them the best...make sure you tip them...good people....One thing I did not like is that there were certain times you had check in and check out your resort room ..no earlier check it's so alot of waiting around if you have nothing planned. The water is nice ,warm and clear.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Customer

First and foremost we would like to thank you for allowing us to share in such a momentous occasion in the form of your honeymoon.

I am glad that you enjoyed and was shown our hospitable staff services. It is always a pleasure to receive our guest recognition and kind appreciation.

We also appreciate your recommendations, so we can always improve our services and facilities.

I hope you will give us the honor of being at your service once again in this little piece of paradise.

New york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The island is beautiful and location is excellent however...Rooms were never cleaned. Beach chairs are all broken. Food is terrible. Staff is not accommodating at all. Beautiful island but stay at another hotel. You get what You pay for.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Paradiseanitcheap
Dear Customer

Thank you for publishing your review on Trip Advisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed our beautiful beach, but truly regret that the rest of your experience was negative.