“Stay away”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
North Carolina Coast, North Carolina
“Stay away”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The worst and un safest hotel I have ever stayed at , I feel bad for the employees that work there because they are very caring and hospitable . The rooms are disgusting we changed rooms three times stayed one night and left . The sliding glass doors do not lock so ask for a room on the second floor if you must stay there. The food is a disgusting buffet with dirty plates . The drinks watered and served in small plastic cups luckily we are not drinkers . This hotel if it were in the states would be condemned . This is just my opinion based on my experience. I went by the reviews and was terribly disappointed .

Room Tip: Stay away but if you must go second floor room might be safer
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Debra C
VivaWFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest

We appreciate you for taking the time and sharing your impression with us regarding your stay through trip advisor.

I also would like to thank you for your kindness in acknowledging our hospitable staff, but deeply regret that your experience with us was not a positive one and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your past visit.

Rest assure that your feedback is very important to us, as it always allows us to revise our standard and the quality of our services day by day.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of regaining your trust the next time you visit Freeport.

Kind regards,

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed 26 August 2014

After reading the reviews, we were skeptical to come here.

Based solely on our trip, we were pleasantly surprised.....

We arrived and got checked in in a very timely manner with a very friendly and attentive staff that instructed us where to leave our luggage, which was available to us for any of our things at our leisure. (Swimsuits and sunscreen for beaching while we waited for the room.)

We were in what seemed to be one of the only ocean FRONT rooms at the resort. It had clean linens and towels, a safe and a fantastic view! It was quiet at all times. A bit of a walk from the center of the resort, but well worth it.

The cleanliness of the room could've been better, but what mattered (i.e. linens, bed, toilet, shower) was clean.

I'd also like to add we didn't have any issues with towels! Not beach/pool or bath towels.
We even exchanged the wet ones for dry ones.
That was a repeated complaint in the reviews.

The buffet food was only average but plenty to choose from and something for everyone. The Italian restaurant was better than the oriental. We didn't have lunch at the buffet or try the pizza bar outside.
The beach bar and grill was convenient to the pool and beach. Actually pretty good burgers, dogs, chicken tenders and fries for lunch.

There was no air conditioning in the main lobby, the middle bar or the cafeteria. However, the fans and breezes kept it cool enough and wasn't as miserable as others have claimed. I mean, it's the Bahamas!

The liquor in the drinks is definitely watered down. That could be anywhere though. The locally brewed beer and the house wines weren't bad.

We enjoyed the shows put on by the employees. They did a great job and work very hard all day and night there.
The late night life in the bar seemed like a good time. We didn't hang out there but once for a short time.

We snorkeled through an outside company. We did find out on our own later that there is a gorgeous reef in front of the resort. You can enjoy that for free whenever you want!

We were there for 5 days an had a blast! We took a cab to Port Lacaya for some lunch and shopping, went on a sunset
cruise, snorkeled and laid
around on the beach enjoying the view. This was a great vacation and the first time to the Bahamas. Exactly what we were looking for.

Everyone at this resort was friendly and pleasant! Always a smile and a hi!

There's always room for improvement. They could start with better music throughout the resort. Live music would be better!
A water taxi would be a super addition! $15 for a 5 mile ride in a taxi is expensive. But I'd pay it for a water taxi!

I don't know if we'd stay here again; only because of its location.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Amber S
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach on your recent holidays; we are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and overall had a positive experience.

It is very nice to find out you had fun and that our staff made you feel welcome.

We would like to express our deepest appreciation for all the advices that you kindly provide, so we can always improve our services and facilities.

On behalf of all our staff, I thank you for your honesty and for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as holiday destination!

Kind regards,

Southaven, Mississippi
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Worst stay I've (or my family) has ever had. The food is absolutely terrible, even to my husband who can eat anything. They resort put us on a second floor, leaving us to go up and down stairs with a stroller 10-15 times a day. Many (not all) of the staff were rude, but I would never say all. We did meet many that were great, specifically those at the pool area. I had to ask for a crib a ridiculous number of times.

Upon arrival we had to wait for 4 hours to receive a room key. Massive renovations are needed. The rooms are outdated. The wifi sparingly worked to the point, it would have been best to just say "no wifi".

Did I mention the food was terrible? The flies in the cafeteria were terrible and no air. Having windows opened and no air did not help with the flies landing in the food.

Booked an hour and a half massage, only received an hour.

Haggling was intense with the vacation club "Club Viva", as if I would ever be willing to stay at another Viva again.

Overall,

Total disappointment. We spent a TON of money on cab rides to the city just to eat decent food bc the resort is in the middle of no where and we needed to be able to experience something good.

One plus,

The beach is beautiful.
The Bahamas, can do NO wrong. I will return to the Bahamas. Just not to this place.

Amanda

• Stayed August 2014
8 Thank Amandapanda911
Dear Guest

Thank you for publishing your review on Trip Advisor.

Our continuous commitment is to provide quality service to all our guests, therefore I regret that we could not meet your expectations; Please rest assure that your remarks has been taken seriously into consideration and revision.

I deeply regret and apologize for the impression left to you of our service. However, by reading your review, this can help us to maintain and improve our products and services for the better in the future.

Once again, thank you for your time and valuable comments.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This experience was so bad, I didn't even make the trip! Upon booking for a wedding group, I had to call three different numbers to book. On top of that, the hotel would not honor the group rate for the wedding party or guests. They were charging twice as much for the same room! The bride had to call to confirm that she had, indeed, booked a block of rooms for a lower rate. Imagine that! The bride has to call to book our reservations b/c the hotel can't get it right. I'm sure she had more important things to think about!

I ended up canceling 5 days before the trip. (The cancellation policy was a minimum of 3-days in advance for cancellation). I called twice to be sure the reservation was cancelled and received a confirmation #. Lo and behold, my credit card was charged anyway. I had to all 12, yes twelve, different numbers to finally get ahold of someone who could actually process a refund. Three of those numbers were international! Talk about a cluster! This VIVA brand is so disorganized and dysfunctional it's not even funny. I could not make this up!

Thank you Viva and Wyndham for one of the worst booking and cancellation experiences I've ever had. I will NEVER book a hotel with either of these brands again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank danadalton
Dear Customer

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts through trip advisor.

It is our priority to provide unforgettable experiences through our products and services offered, and we apologize if we did otherwise.

Rest assure that when a situation like this one is brought to our attention, we put our best efforts to investigate thoroughly and provided our full cooperation for any guest who would have booked a reservation with us.

I deeply regret that we were not able to provide you with an unforgettable Viva Grand Ole time, and are hoping that you would give us the chance to recover your trust in our services on your next visit .

Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I just returned from a one week stay. The hotel is all-inclusive which was nice. It is directly on the beach. The food was really good, with a wide assortment of different foods at each breakfast, lunch and dinner. Some days we ate fries or a hamburger on the beach which was nice because we didn't have to leave and got to enjoy the beach. The rooms are fine...clean linens and towels all the time so I was good with that. The furniture in the wing that I was staying in was simple although I heard that the 'peach' and 'green' wings had a more modern layout and furniture. But I came for the weather and the beach, so that didn't matter. There was a storm on one of the nights that I was there and it blew out the power in our section as well as most of the ac units. We rode it out until the next day and then everything was back to normal

1 Thank Fern486
Dear Customer

First and foremost thank you so much for your valuable comments on your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach!

It is really rewarding to receive our guest positive recognition as our aim is to offer a pleasant and happy stay to all of you.

Rest assured that your comments will be taken into account to continue improving the quality of our services.

Please remember that we will be glad to welcome you back in our resort!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We arrived here after transferring from a 5 star resort elsewhere on the island. This is the fourth time we've been. It has a beautiful big beach, with lots of beds and umbrellas. A scuba diving shop, trapeze, paddle-boarding, sailing, windsurfing, table-tennis, pool, darts, lots of games and music round the pool. Always lots to do for everyone, or just lay on the beach and do nothing.
The beach bar and takeaway is perfect if you just lie on the beach and need an odd snack or alcoholic beverage. The buffet restaurant is nothing special, but adequate. A must have is an omelet from Laverne in the morning for breakfast........delicious, and she's a lovely lady to talk to as well.
At night just quietly sit outside the main bar and have a few drinks and relax again, or go and see the show. They're not professionals but try hard and are always funny.
Don't expect too much from the rooms, they are very basic, but, hopefully, you won't spend too much time in there
All in all, don't expect the world, and you'll be surprised how relaxing or fun filled this place can be.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have a beautiful view.
Dear Customer

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach during your recent vacations.

I am happy that you enjoyed the beach and received a good service from our staff.

We deeply appreciated your valuable feedback and suggestions; rests assure that we consider all our guest opinion as tools that help us to increase continuously our visitors' satisfaction.

It will be an honor to have the chance to be at your service again.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I am giving one star for the private beach. That sums up the good amenities in this hotel.

The check in building, the recreational/hangout building with ping pong, pool table and the restaurant which guests use for breakfast, lunch and dinner does not have air conditioning !!! I don't mind getting the guests acquainted to the tropical climate, BUT what gross me out the most was the people who are making your food, serving your food and the bar tenders were all covered in sweat from head to toe and those sweats were getting on to the food and drinks. Also what i noticed was the people who makes the food (egg omelets, hamburgers, and other lunch and dinner on demand food areas) don't use gloves at all. I don't mind a little dirtiness but the combination of people drenched in sweat and not wearing gloves were a heath risk for all the guests in my opinion. It rained hard when we were having lunch and the there were spots on the restaurant which were leaking !!!. The whole inclusive food and drinks were average at best.

Now to check-in : 45 min plus for check in ( we came through the cruise and got to the hotel around 10.30 AM and stood in the line for 45 mins for check-in) and then another 30 mins in the line to collect the keys at 3 PM ( we were told to come back at 3 pm to collect the keys). This sounds outrages but true and I do travel and I was a bit taken back by this. There were only two counters open to check in.

Here is the kicker - On our first day their (Aug 20th), the power went out and the generators kicked on. The generators in this resort only could power up a fraction of the rooms and even if you are the lucky ones with the power, you will have NO A/C. Remember it is Bahamas and the outside temperature is 95F and your room as no light and no A/C. Long story short, we had two long nights in that hotel with no power and no A/C , so does majority of the co-travelers who were on this hotel at these dates.

WE WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL AS THIS IS A FACILITY THAT IS POORLY MANAGED, POORLY MAINTAINED AND RUN. IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING TO FREEPORT, PLEASE LOOK UP ANY OTHER RESORT AND AVOID THE "VIVA WYNDHAM" AT ANY COST.

Room Tip: Please avoid this hotel at any cost if you don't want to ruin your vacation.
8 Thank Sunny I
Dear Guest

Providing excellent service is our top priority and we sincerely apologize if your experience was anything less. It is regrettable to learn that you were inconvenienced in any way during your stay and that you were disappointed in our services.

I appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacation as we take our guest's opinion very seriously and your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve our operations.

Once again please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay in our hotel.

Hoping that you reconsider your thoughts and give us the chance to regain your trust.