“Great place to take the family”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The service in this resort was great, all friendly staff with willingness to make stay pleasant. Our room was clean, serviced daily by staff, and had a view of the ocean to die for! The location of resort was close to airport, marketplace, and casino. Amenities were perfect for beach vaca, pool and activities abounded. We liked the location best as we were able to travel around the area and find secluded beaches for shelling and fishing off shore. Our least favorite of the resort would have to be what we thought was a wonderful greeting by hotel staff which was actually the Viva time share folks hitting us up to spend 90 minutes of our precious vacation while they tried to sell us, not appreciated but easily told NO THANK YOU! Word of advice, IF you are looking for GOURMET food, this resort is NOT for you. They serve cafeteria style meals but for the price of stay with airfare being under 1000.00, there are plenty of places a short distance from resort that you will find any fare your heart desires

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzclark
Write a ReviewReviews (4,689)

Reviewed 4 May 2010

Ok, I will tell you everything you need to know about this resort if you have already booked your stay and can't get out of it. If you haven't already booked your stay, spend a few extra bucks and stay somewhere else.

First Impression - The lobby was decent. Open air, drinks served as you check-in, overall nice presentation at first. The pool and hot tub area are very nice. They have a trapeez which was pretty cool for the kids and adults who wanted to try it out.

Beach - the beach was white sand and the water was a beautiful turquoise color. However...the guests put their cigarrettes out in the sand and it looked to me like a giant ashtray. I blame the guests first for being dirty slobs and the resort second for not cleaning the beach near the chairs. There are vendors who walk up and down the beach all day trying to sell conch shells, t shirts, hats, etc. They are locals and they hound you ALL DAY. It was not relaxing to be constantly asked if I wanted to buy something. They have free non-motor sports equip available, which is nice. You can snorkel or take a kayak out for free. That was fun and I would recommend doing that.

Activities - In addtional to the trapeez, they have a small gym which was decent if you wanna work out. If you scuba dive they have daily one and two tank trips for a fee. There is archery as well as free bikes you can take and ride outside the resort. I heard that Millionare's row was a cool thing to see by bike, but I didn't personally go.

Entertainment - This was sub par. There were a couple of shows that were entertaining such as The Lion King and Pirates of the Caribbean. The others were pretty bad. I learned from one of the staff members that most of them don't dance and just learned from the choreographer at the resort. I don't blame them though, they work hard and do try to put on a decent show. They work all day staffing guest services, the sports shack, gym and run activities throughout the day, then put on a nightly show. Again - very hard working entertainment staff. There is a disco, which is small and dirty, but the entertainment staff is there and they try to help everyone have a good time.

Food - Ok, this is where is gets sketchy...the breakfast buffet was actually ok. They have all the usual staples including an omelet station. I have no complaints about breakfast. Yes, there were some flies or gnats, but it's an open air type restaurant so that can't really be avoided. Lunch wasn't very good. They had the same items everyday and nothing changed. The pizza was terrible at the buffet and the bread is always stale. Dinner was horrible most of the time on the buffet too. I was pretty surprised none of us got sick, but we didn't. Again the bread is always stale and the desserts always tasted like they were missing something, mainly sugar. I actually thought the first time I ate dessert that it may have been a diabetic dessert with no sugar, until I realized they were all like that. The restaurants weren't too bad. Definitely better than the buffet, but again, not that great. They don't have many items to choose from, but the service staff works hard and is very friendly in the restaurants. The oriental restaurant was pretty decent and the italian was just ok. They have pizza from 11-2 next to the Italian restaurant. This pizza was awesome! The best thing to eat at the resort by far. It was brick oven and not at all the same as the pizza served on the buffet. They also have a shack on the beach where you can get burgers, hot dogs, fries, and chicken nuggets. This food was good and I would recommend it for lunch over the buffet. But keep in mind there are more sea gulls than the jersey shore, so don't take your food down onto the beach or leave it unattended. They will swarm you and eat it.

Drinks - BRING YOUR OWN LARGE CUP. I can't stress this enough. If you don't want dixi cup sized drinks, bring cups with you. The bartenders had no problem making drinks in big cups and 99% of the guests bring their own cups. I thought the drinks were great. It was low end liquor of course, but they had a ton of it. Vodka, every flavor of rum you can imagine and they made terrific Bloody Mary's from scratch with V8 juice, not even from a mix. I have ZERO complaints about the drinks. If you ask them to make it strong and give them a tip here and there, you WILL get a strong drink and in fact, the beach bartender would always ask us to taste it and make sure it was strong enough or he would add more. The key here is that if you take care of them with a little tippage, they will take care of you...just like anywhere else. If you're cheap and don't tip, they will be cheap with you...

Rooms - ok, here goes. Rooms were gross. The buildings outside needed paint bad and it resembled a ghetto. I'm not kidding about this. There was trash around and smelly trash cans. The rooms needed a serious updating. The towels were GRAY and thin as could be. Looked like they used them to wash cars with. really gross. BRING YOUR OWN BATH AND BEACH TOWELS. And the kicker is that they only change the towels every 3 days and they never changed the bed linens. I thought the bed was comfy. I had no trouble sleeping and the view was good since we got the ocean view. Definitely get the ocean view or you will be looking out at a dirt road that runs along side the resort. Not pretty to look at. The beach towels were also paper thin and they had bleach stains all over them. If you leave one at the beach and it's not in your room at the end of your stay, they charge you $20.

Downtown Lucaya - I was dissapointed. The cab ride was $15 each each way and there really isn't much to see. There is an open air market where local sell goods, again you get hounded and there is no such thing as browsing - highly annoying. Then there is a mall with shops and set prices so you're not hounded as you shop. There is also a small casino. That was really about it. There is a fish fry on the beach every wed night that we heard was really great, but we didn't make it to that.

I think I covered everything. Here's the quick list of things to bring with you if you must stay here:

-bath towels
-beach towels
-large cups
-alka seltzer
-imodium

Have fun!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010
4  Thank hms203
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Service at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2010

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.

We are pleased to read how you enjoyed our beautiful beach and all the amenities and activities provided for you and your partner.

Concerning our food and beverage departments, we receive positives comments about our meals and beverages; yet each guest is unique and has different expectations. Our cuisine offers a great variety of options every day in meats, pasta, fish, salads, desserts and appetizers. Although we truly regret you could not find something of your preference, we apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations

We apologize for the vendors and the way they disturbed you, however, unfortunately they are aloud up to a certain amount in distance between the shore line and the beach. We have security on call 24/7, so if there does become an issue we contact our security and they deal with the situation.

Regarding the matter of housekeeping please be assured that we have more than sufficient supplies of towels and linens and terribly regret any inconvenience, not to mention discomfort in this regard.

We appreciate your honest and positive review for all our upcoming guests to read.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to apologize once again for the any unsatisfied experienced that you might encountered and would like to thank you for your hospitality and review.

Reviewed 3 May 2010

If you are looking for a great place to relax and to do your own thing then you will love this resort. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff were very helpful and always made sure you were happy. The beach was incredible--no other word to describe it! There is a snorkling reef on the resort with so many different tropical fish to see--any other resort you would have to pay a small fortune for this excursion. The sand was beautiful, the beach was clean and the water was pristine--a 5 star beach by any standard. The bartenders were great and the drinks we had were strong. The entertainment was better than anything we've experienced at other resorts and the Animation crew was great. The buffet was adequate; there wasn't an overwhelming amount of choice but it was certainly sufficient; the breakfast buffet was the best i have every seen at an all inclusive resort. The burger hut on the beach was great--the food was always delicious.

I really don't understand the negative reviews--unless for some reason you expect a 5 star quality at a 3 star rating. This resort is great for the price you pay--if you are looking for a quiet beach vacation then this is the place to go. This is a quaint, nice little resort that is great for folks that just want to relax and enjoy a few days in paradise. Family friendly resort--my children are 10 and 13 and had the time of their lives--we are all looking forward to returning next year.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank tcarriga
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Service at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2010

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your girls’ vacation destination.

We are pleased to read how you enjoyed our beautiful beach and all the amenities and activities provided for you and your family.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you once more, for not only your review, but for your generous hospitality also. We hope to see you both re-visit us again.

Reviewed 3 May 2010

After being up for 13hrs and arriving at 11.30pm it would have been nice for someone to show us to our room, which was quite a walk.However,room very spacious,clean and
bathroom well stocked.Water was always on demand and hot.Bad timing - spring breakers everywhere.Disco was loud but a pair of earplugs resolved this ! In the next room were extremely noisy students who could have ruined our stay ,shouting and banging on the walls past midnight (really scared our children) Called security who arrived within 10 minutes - They were brilliant and we were not troubled at all after that.
All staff friendly.Food not so good ,preferred lunch-salads,rice and fruit - only gained 1lb !Beach beautiful - husband did 7 dives saw shark,turtles,baracuda.Children loved the trapeze and the guys were fun.Hotel well placed for trips to Lucaya, etc.The dolphin encounter was amazing .Might not be 5star hotel but we certainly enjoyed ourselves !

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Service at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2010

Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort as your vacation destination.
We are thrilled to read how much fun you had whilst staying here, especially to see that you enjoyed our amenities provided for you, such as the sailing, entertainment and how could we not mention the scuba diving with sharks.
On behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your positive review also, for all our up coming guests to read. It is always appreciated.
We will be looking forward to your return.

Reviewed 29 April 2010

I read the reviews before I booked here and decided that perhaps people were being too critical. WRONG!!!! I am so disappointed with this resort and I will never come back.
After reading their website, I was excited to get there, but I realize I wasted my money. I am sorry I wasted my money - for the same amount I know I could have gotten much better in a better location. I have been to the Bahamas before and this was the worst stay I have had.

One the website it states the Viva Circus has great entertainment, IT’S A LIE!!! It looked like a cheap show put together by a bunch of teenagers. The nightly shows were on a CHEAP CHEAP stage. I felt bad that by the time a show ended, half the audience walked off.

Cleanliness - It was DIRTY! The bed linen and the towels in our room were NOT white! They looked like they were used to clean the floors. There were all kinds of dirt stains on the walls and everywhere. Oh, and the door was broken. It was a struggle entering and leaving the room. The door would not open or close properly.

Sleep Quality - there is none! When I read about the hard beds I chuckled, thinking the reviewer MUST have been a bit on the dramatic side. NOT SO! The beds were dirty, and I now have a horrible sore back. The bed was old and the mattress smelled. I will be checking in with my doctor because I have discovered a couple of bites of some kind on my back.

Drinks- The unlimited drinks were from sugar soda, not actually Coke of Pepsi and they had only two VERY VERY cheap wines available. There were only four or five types of hard liquor and the bartender only made no more than two or three different drinks. The coffee bar was good though. There were no “24hrs” snacks.

Location - $15 for a 5 minute taxi to the shopping center. That would mean $30 per trip. It was so expensive we did not get off the horrible resort, except once.

FOOD - The food…AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was like a cheap, cheap buffet. My friend got really sick from the milk that was left out. The salad bar had flies around it. Not any good selections for those with food allergies. If an American inspector went there, they would have shut the place down. The restaurants were no different. There would be a selection from a menu with only five items. The quality was like frozen food. There were flies all the time near the food.

Rooms - No mini bar, no fridge, no coffee, no dressers, small TV, no face cloths or hand towels, no soap, mold on bathroom door, and the AC was loud and old.

There was a statement about a business center, but it did not exist. Instead, there was one computer you could pay $5 for 15 mins of internet. But it was ten minutes or so.

I WILL NEVER COME BACK HERE AGAIN!
I will have to say that the staff was generally nice, except the from desk staff, a bunch of snobs. The bar tenders and entertainment staff were approachable and friendly.

GOOD LUCK IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY HERE!

I noticed the last review was on 2006, perhaps they thought they no longer had to upkeep after the reviews then...

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank TrvlD

Dear Guest

Firstly, we would like to start by saying thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as your vacation destination.

We regret not having an opportunity to meet with you as we have a duty manager available 24 hours per day, not to mention systems in place to address each concern as they arise. More importantly, we believe that our invaluable clients are deserving of a worry-free vacation.
We receive positives comments about our meals and beverages; however each guest is unique and has different expectations.

Please be assure our grounds and neighbouring borders are sprayed daily as we are located in a tropical environment.

Our staff is trained to be courteous, helpful and professional towards our guest at all times us we have cero tolerance with respect to ill-mannered staff. As our staff is governed to wear id tags it would be beneficial if you could provide us with the name of the individual reported.

We represent one of Wyndham International fewer all Inclusive resorts, while Viva Resorts offer more focus on activities and entertainment, Wyndham on the other hand has a more larger market and higher en products and service. However we work very hard to meld those two concepts by providing monitoring programs including guest comments surveys which are traditionally positive.

We are quiet aware of our much needed renovations and upgrade or our furniture and fixtures, however this has been delayed from January to September of this year as a result of our projected and high occupancy forecast.

We would like you to know that we do take all our guests reviews into great consideration. We are in constant training with all our staff members in each department, to help maintain and improve our skills to give our guests 100% satisfaction. All our reviews are noticed and read by the management.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to sincerely apologise once more for the uncomfortable experience you encountered with us and would like to thank you once more for your positive review.

Reviewed 29 April 2010

I've been all over the carribean and this was by far the worst AI "resort" I've been to. The hotel is dated, very dated. Rooms are big enough and seem to be clean, but beds are terribly uncomfortable. There is only one option for daily buffet eating and two "specialty" restaurants. The buffet is pretty bad; seems like you're eating exactly the same thing for lunch and dinner every day. This is the worst buffet I've ever eaten at an AI. I am a frequent traveler, so I try and find good deals and am not too concerned with 5* amenities by any means, but this was ridiculous. There was only 2 places to get your drinks, the bartenders were awesome, and the beach bar closed at like 5pm. Everything was rundown, the pool, the grounds, everything.
We had fun regardless, after all, we were in the Bahamas for Christmas, but I would not go there again. I have been to Nassau and Paradise Island and I would go back to either of those Islands in a heartbeat, but not Freeport. My recommendation would be to spend a couple of extra bucks and go to one of the other Bahama Islands....and definitely not Wyndham Fortuna if you do decide to go to Freeport.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MustangMandy
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Service at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2010

Dear Guest

We would like to start by saying thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your festive Christmas vacation.

We apologize for not meeting up to your expectations, there for leaving you to experience an uncomfortable vacation through out your stay.

Although we cannot change what has happened in the past, we will utilize your comments for improvement in the future. On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to apologize once more, yet thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Reviewed 28 April 2010

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort is a great find among all the tropical
all-inclusive resorts we've been. This resort distinguishes itself
as very people friendly, family friendly, comfortable and relaxing while
without any confusion nor exersion comparing to other large resorts due
how it's organized. It has EVERYTHING one could need on a beach front
all-inclusive vacation. It reminds one of living in a beautiful and quiet beachfront
village with the nicest people running the place, who are like your good old friends.
The resort director and his vacation club team are on-site and introduce guests to other
similar vacation resorts and help design similar vacations at a fraction of the cost. They
are so helpful and sincere in helping clients' needs that you feel you've made new good
friends in Bahamas. Vacationing on a resort, a beach is a beach, a room is a
room, a pool is a pool, it's only the people there that make the difference, and worth
returning to.

Of course, the food is also important. The food variety desires to be increased
and become more health-wise comparing to other premium all-inclusive tropical resorts.
The upside of it is one is less likely to gain extra pounds on vacation due to a fancier
variety and quantity of foods. But people always want to be pleasantly surprised during
a vacation, another guest told us that the food desires to be improved. As a board
certified nutritional consultant and holistic health practitioner, I can see a handful of
suggestions to upgrade the food to a health spa quality nurishment experience without
incurring extra cost.

During the day, there are archery, tennis, volleyball, dance, water skiing, sailing, snorkeling
and trapeze lessons, and a similar set of activities for kids; at night fall, there are nightly live theater from Pirates of the Carribeans, to Grease, to Michael Jackson, given
by excellent young performers from Bahamas, Argentine, Italy, England, Canada, USA and
others. The quality of the performances and artistic talents of the performers are impressive
and always entertaining. During the day, all the performers are also the service crew, they
are the archery teacher, guest receptionist and others. They also organize the nightly
activities including disco and karaoke. They become part of your vacation people
experience.
- Amy

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you once more, for not only your review, but for your generous hospitality also. We hope to see you both visit us again.