“Easy to Hate; Easy to Love”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Cape Cod Massachusetts
“Easy to Hate; Easy to Love”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

You arrive tired and cranky and the reception you get doesn’t help. No welcoming rum punches here. In our case, the 3 o’clock check in time was rigidly enforced and you’re sent off to look around without further instructions. Walking into the Junkanoo Restaurant buffet just before the wrap up is not for the weak of stomach. Whatever it looked liked at opening time, the vestiges of lunch are now mostly congealed and yellowing. It would seem that a drink would be more in order. The local beer, Kalit, is tasty and cold and served up by the thimble full. It’s no wonder that the beach vendors make a living selling large cups for $5 so that you can get drunk while making fewer trips to the bar.

The Viva Fortuna Wyndham is hardly the flagship of the Wyndham brand. It is dated and worn and the staff have a schizoid quality to them. One minute they’re surly and defensive (who could blame them) and the next, smiling and gracious in the best tradition of Caribbean hospitality. The flaws are many and can decidedly poison your feelings about coming here. The formerly white towels ARE in fact gray and they occasionally forget to put pillowcases back on your pillows. The welcoming fresh flowers in your room may have died three days before you arrived. Unbelievably, they charge $3 a day to use the safe in your room so leave your valuables at home!

The biggest complaint is undoubtedly the quality of the food. The restaurant fare in the a la cart Bamboo and La Viva can be breathtakingly bad at times. Over cooked and over seasoned entrées are the norm although in our weeklong stay, they did manage to sneak in an appetizer or side dish that was passable. By far the best food choices include the late night pizza baked in a wood fired oven and the burgers and chicken nuggets cooked to order at the beach bar. One cautionary note: The pizza joint advertises an opening time of 10:30 PM but that is definitely relative.

Staying at the Viva is like meeting a girl that turns you off but then surprisingly you find yourself liking her despite yourself. It’s more Ugly Betty than Cameron Diaz but the sun shines almost everyday, the rooms are clean, the drinks are unlimited even if small and the beach and pool are surprisingly nice. Besides, the price can’t be beat.

Of Note:
Vince who is the head of security says that they are committed to keeping the Viva Fortuna a safe place and there were truly no concerns on that front. The beach peddlers are well controlled and will leave you alone unless you approach them. Also, if you’re coming to the Bahamas for SCUBA diving, this place has their own dive operation which picks you up right off the beach and gives you a discount for multiple dives. It was the best dive value we found. Rumor has it that the Viva Fortuna is slated for a major makeover this year which probably means that their prices will get a major makeover as well.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank WalleyK
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Service at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, 1 July 2010
Dear Guest,
We would like to say thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as your vacation destination.
We sincerely apologize for not meeting up to your expectations. We regret not having an opportunity to meet with you as we have a duty manager available 24 hours per day, not to mention systems in place to address each concern as they arise. More importantly, we believe that our invaluable clients are deserving of a worry-free vacation.
Concerning our food and beverage departments, we receive positives comments about our meals and beverages; yet each guest is unique and has different expectations. Our cuisine offers a great variety of options every day in meats, pasta, fish, salads, desserts and appetizers. Although we truly regret you could not find something of your preference.
We are pleased to read how you enjoyed our beautiful beach and all the amenities and activities provided as well as our Diving center.
We are quite aware of our much needed renovations and upgrade to our furniture and fixtures, however this has been delayed from January to September of this year as a result of our projected and high occupancy forecast.
In the meantime, on behalf of the staff and management, we wish to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or discomfort experienced and we truly appreciate your honest and positive review for all our upcoming guests to read.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (887)
  • Hungarian first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

I've been meaning to write a review ever since my girlfriend and I stayed here for spring break. We chose to stay here mainly because we were on a tight budget and it was cheaper than many of the other resorts on Cheapcarribean.com.

On the night before leaving for our trip, we looked the resort up on TripAdvisor and found countless horrible reviews complaining about the food, service, room conditions, lack of towels, etc. We thought our spring break was doomed. I'm writing this review to say the complete opposite because our four night stay here was great.

The staff was helpful and everyone was extremely friendly, despite having to deal with rude drunken college kids. The beach was amazing, probably one of the best features of the resort. It had plenty of beach chairs and the water was crystal clear. We went in the first week of March when it was abnormally cold so relaxing on the beach was difficult. We went kayaking which was free and also booked a dolphin excursion which was a lot of fun as well.

The food wasn't the best I've ever had but it wasn't nearly as bad as some reviews claimed. My favorite were the omelets in the morning and the pizza place that opens later in the night. It would have been nice if the pizza place was open all day. We went to the Italian restaurant on our second night and the Asian restaurant on our final night. The Italian restaurant was ok but the Asian restaurant was by far the best. I wish they would expand the capacity so it would be easier to make a reservation. Our waitress at the Asian restaurant came up to us as we were leaving to thank me for the tip as we were the only people to tip her all night. Despite not being tipped for the whole night, she was still very friendly and our food came out quickly.

The drinks were great and the bartenders were more than friendly. The Bahama Mama and the Kahlua and milk were delicious. The bartenders would make up a new shot or a drink and have you try it. I was glad that we read some reviews beforehand that recommended bringing your own, larger cup. I also read a review that said they watered down the drinks and skimped on the alcohol. That might have been the case for them but we never got a weak, watered down drink during our whole stay.

The room was nice and very clean. The only problem we had was the hot water capacity. After everyone left the beach and showered, the hot water ran out. Room service made our bed and left us fresh towels daily.

Overall, we had a really good stay at the Viva Wyndham. The only thing I would change would be the weather. For the price we paid, I was completely satisfied and would go there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for visiting us at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.
We are thrilled to read how much fun you had whilst staying here, especially to see that you enjoyed our amenities provided for you, such as the kayaking, entertainment and how could we not mention our wonderful beach and pizza place.
On behalf of the staff and management we would like to thank you once more for your honest review, for all our up coming guests to read and for your pleasant hospitality.
We will be looking forward to your return.

Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

I went with my boyfriend. We loved the weather, the beach and the staff is very accommodating. I agree you get what you paid for. But overall, I felt it was an unquestionably a good value resort. Second day, I decided the room was not being cleaned as well as one might like. I called the front desk - and it turned around immediately. Food was fine with me. Perhaps, because I don't mind eating the same thing every day. The Oriental Restaurant had great sushi. Okay, I like sushi. Riding the bikes to Port Lucayo was a nice morning excursion. The evening entertainment started out with a comedy show. So s0. The next evening was a revelation and it got better and better. I love musicals so I was in heaven with Moulin Rouge, Pirates of the Caribbean etc. The staff and performers are the nicest people you will meet. Would go back again and recommend to family and friends.
Only negative - the staff in the gym seemed perpetually bored and only came alive if there was an unattached female(s) to flirt with. But I suppose if I was 22 y.o.male - that is what I would be doing.

Dear Guest
We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed your experience here with us and all our staff.
We were pleased to read how you have enjoyed the food in all our restaurants, specially the Bamboo Oriental, as well the activities and entertainment. It is always a pleasure to receive the recognition of the hard work our animation staff makes for all the shows we set up for our guest.
We will be looking forward to your return. If there is anything we can help and assist you with, then please do not hesitate to contact us at the Guest Service desk.
On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to say thank you once more for your honest review and for your generous hospitality.

MT. PROSPECT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2010

This is a great resort - simple, but nice. Fantastic beach, good food, lots of activities, sports, and great pool. Coral reef only yards off of the beach - terrific for snorkeling. Staff was very helpful and accommodating. We had a great time and are planning a return trip. As far as some of the negative reviews are concerned...... yes, the towels are a little thin, both for beach and bath, however, they serve the purpose. Drinks are served in 9 oz. plastic cups, but the bartenders do not hesitate to provide 2,3 or 4 drinks at a time. The other option is to bring your own larger tumbler. Overall, this is a great location for a get away for some peace and relaxation.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank BHAZLETT
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.

It is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their vacation experience with us at our resort and the amenities provided for you all.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you once more for your honest review and for staying here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

Ridge, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

I agree with a lot of the positive review on here, the negative reviews are just baseless. THIS IS NOT A FIVE STAR RESORT!! Please remember that when coming here. You have to be proactive. Our vacation didnt start off so well, no one was there to pick us up at the airport, no big deal, we were enjoying the weather. Get to the hotel, with our mouths watering for the welcome cocktail, no one in sight with drinks. Again, no big deal. Get to our room, very nice! But the toilet doesnt work and we were put in a room about a quarter of a mile from beach! Again no big deal, we called front desk, they gave us another room, and it was even closer and had a working toilet!! SCORE!! We get into our room, unpack, go to the bar with our Wal-mart drinking classes, A MUST HAVE BTW!! Giovani was our bartender and pretty much was the nicest person you could meet in the whole resort. Actually, all of the bartenders were awesome, I think they just liked looking at my wife, but it was all good, it got me drinks faster! Finally out to the beach, one word.......AWESOME!!!! Our beach towels were good, our bath towels were softer then the ones we use at home, the bed was comfy, I did bring my own pillow, just a thought if you have the room in your suitcase. Overall, we had a great time cause we didnt let the first few hours of our arrrival effect the rest of our trip. Just go there with an open mind and you will have a great time. Oh BTW, get off the resort and go to Gold Rock Beach! The most beautifulest beach I have ever seen!!

1 Thank JDHAWES
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.
We are pleased to read how you enjoyed our beautiful beach and all the amenities and activities provided for you and your partner.
We appreciate your honest and positive review for all our upcoming guests to read.
On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you once more, for not only your review, but for your generous hospitality also. We hope to see you both re-visit us again.

Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

We of course read the reviews and were apprehensive but knew we would have fun no matter what. Here is a brief rundown. Pros and Cons. Keep in mind this is NOT a LUXURY Caribbean resort. If you decide to tip find the service people willing to take care of you first and then tip. Do not tip expecting extra service, you might be disappointed. This review is more for the people in charge of the resort than anything.

PROS.
*We loved the location. Being in town was not important to us, we walked down to Banana Bay and were set free. Take the 25 minute walk to the left!!
*We were able to do whatever we wanted. I brought snorkle gear, Kayak, sunbathe, played games, rode bikes etc...
*Rooms were fine. I had the flu the first two days and was happy to have a comfy bed and pillows. Make sure you ask for the Abaco building. We needed two rooms and were nice enough to move us to be next to each other.
*Drinks were strong. I am pretty sure we drank them out of Rum and Vodka. Keir and Andre were the best bartenders!
*The animation staff works really hard.
*THe beach loungers are comfy.
CONS
* The glass doors and windows around the resort were always dirty and that kinda grosses me out.
*The food was okay. I got creative and that made it better, but do not expect much here. The Italian restaurant was so bad that we thought it was funny. THe bathroom in the restaurant is disgusting. Cigarette butts in the drain.
*Towels are BAD. REALLY BAD. They could spend about 2 grand and get nice new beach towels and it would make a real difference. Bring your own towel and use one of theres as a head rest.. Even the room towels can be thin and grey.
*MIxed "tropical" cocktails are also BAD. Way too sweet. Beer, Vodka and Pina Colodas with Rum floaters are yum.
*The bartender JERVEY made disgusting sexual motions to a couple in front of us that ordered shots. Our mother is 64 and was so upset. We were going to say something but did not want our cocktails to be spit in for the rest of the week.
*They need new furniture in the bar.
*Do NOT go to the disco. THat was a sad state of affairs.
*Expect the local guys from the animation staff to hit on you.
*THe Madonna show was so kind of not "family friendly"
* A Cruise ship dropped off on our last day and we were so happy it was it our last day. I would have thought a lot worse about the resort had they been there the whole time.

All in all it was a fun, cheap vacation. Keep in mind that the staff live, eat, work and drink there so to me it is a more casual employee enviroment. THe staff runs the show and it is obvious, I never saw a "manager" or someone that would be in charge. One time at the beach bar the bartender left to do somethign.... so the custodian made my drink. Bizarre.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort as your vacation destination.

We would like you to know that we do take all our guests reviews into great consideration. We like to use them to help us towards our training, which is carried out constantly with all our staff members in each department. Our aim is to give all of our guests 100% satisfaction; however, we do apologize for not meeting your satisfaction.

We were pleased to know that you have enjoyed the amenities provided for you, such as; drinks, drinks, activities, shows, and snorkeling.

We are in constant training with all our staff members in each department, by reading your review, this can help us to maintain and improve for the better in the future. Our staff is trained to be courteous, helpful and professional towards our guest at all times us we have cero tolerance with respect to ill-mannered staff, we terribly regret any inconvenience you have experienced in this regard, not to mention discomfort.

So, on behalf of the staff and management, we would like to apologize once more for the experience you encountered, and are grateful to you for sharing with us where you think needs improvement.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2010

Lets just say I came home with a horrible rash from the dirty sheets and room. Overall not clean at all and I don't think they ever changed the sheets even when asked too. Bed uncomfortable bed, air conditioner barely worked. food was horrible. The drinks were basically Juice with watered down alcohol. I did check all the ratings before I went but I decided to give it a chance! Wish I hadn't. My boyfriend and I were really dissapointed and regret not choosing HAWAII over the bahamas.

The only thing that was nice was some parts of the beach... and you have to walk five minutes from the beach to a little food place called and bar for some decent food and that wasnt so great either. while i was sitting i looked down and a huge roach with a trail of ants...

2 Thank jeanettegollas
Dear Guest

Regarding the matter of housekeeping please be assured that we have more than sufficient supplies of towels and linens and terribly regret any inconvenience, not to mention discomfort in this regard.

On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to apologize once more for the uncomfortable experience you encountered with us, yet we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels