“ok, clean but can do better”

Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
cincy
“ok, clean but can do better”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

very old hotel. shows its age with rusty ac units, peeling wood in rooms
our room had 2 electrical problems due to worn wiring and the shower needed repair
room was kept clean
other than one person at the front desk, the staff was helpful and friendly
the pool and beach facilities at Taino were nice
Overall, you should spend a few extra bucks and stay at Taino Beach across the stfreet

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cincyedc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We, me and my wife, went to Bahamas with discovery cruise two day-one night stay. It's really extraordiinary experiance. This hotel has two parts. One of is flamingo bay the other one is Taino Beach. They use same swimming pool, beach and other facilities. Only difference is the room that you stay. Room is average. İt has AC, TV and good shower and also clean. But sure that you don't need TV. There is a boat for determined times from hotel to centre. I think speciality of Bahamas is absolutely SEA. Beach and sea is wonderful. You don't want you anywhere.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AYYalcinkaya
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband and I stayed her for four nights in May 2012 and absolutely loved it. We have stayed at Taino a couple of times and decided to stay at Flamingo this time. Our room was on the front facing the ocean with only a few hundred feet to the beach. The room was in very good condition. I couldn't have asked for better service. Each time I asked for something, the front desk sent it within 5 minutes. The water taxi to Port Lucaya is right out back and was so convenient every night to go over and eat dinner. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going over to Freeport. Everyone is so nice!

Room Tip: Rooms on the road side are quiter as they are away from boat traffic.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tami C
New York
Reviewed 5 September 2012

This was a last minute vacation, we’ve been to Nassau Bahamas many times but this was our first time to Freeport, so we were very excited. Our luggage never made it until the next day, but the front desk never called that is because they had plans to go through our bags, and help themselves. I would have blamed the airline but when we went to collect our bags there on the shelves was our “tongue cleaner” was lying on the shelves where our suitcase was. These items was inside zipped inside my kabodle inside my suitcase, so the only way for this to be there was if someone went into the kabodle. I reported the matter to the girl at the front desk and she immediately called the security OMG this is such a disaster we had to take time off on three occasion to give info what a waste, they promise they will look into the matter and will refund the tax we paid, in addition they gave us 2 T shirts and a bag, in addition I learn that another family suffered the same “missing” stuff. So my husband and I had to go through the four days without our toiletries and some other items which up to this day I can’t even figure out what I had. I had to keep emailing them when we got back home to make sure they credited me with what they promised. Also be aware that there is no bell boy or elevator you have to log your stuff up and down the stairs. The fan in the bathroom and kitchen is so loud if it is on you can’t hear each other. The bedroom and mini kitchen is ok. The good part is the hotel is located on the water “not beach” you can take a ferry $5 pp to the other side where there is more shopping. We rented a car so was able to drive on the other side of the island where the beaches are much better than the ones close. There was entertainment on the beach at night “bon fire” style. We had sea food at the hotel restaurant which was ok. Stay away if you can.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so stay on the lower floors
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gee M
Tennessee
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My mom and I booked the flamingo bay hotel through baleria ferry express out of ft lauderdale. I read the reviews on tripadvisor before the trip and was nervous. It was great. No it's not a 5 star hotel, but why would anyone expect that from the price. There are pictures on the Internet..it shows the rooms. All of the staff were exceptionally hospitable and friendly. Our room overlooked the marina. It had a fridge, kitchen sink coffe maker. It was clean, typical cheap motel room, but clean and safe.
A few complaints-- no coffee in hotel room. A small back of coffee is almost $3 in gift shop. Checkout is at 10, we weren't leaving until 5pm, slightly inconvenient. The gift shop prices are outrageous.
The best part was the full access to Taino beach resort. The pool there is INCREDIBLE!!! Water slide, lazy river swim up bar, beach like shallow end, built in lounge areas. It was like a water park. The beach is great!!! The softest sand ever. Like powder. The restaurant is delicious, only had breakfast and lunch, not sure about dinner. You can sit outside, on the beach. The ocean breeze and view was perfect. The staff is sooooo friendly. Everybody says hi as you walk by.
The flamingo bay hotel is right on the water, In the marina. All snorkeling and other boat activities leave from The back of the hotel. So convenient. There is a water taxi provided by resort to port lucaya market place, $5/ round trip.
I absolutely loved our vacation. I plan to come back again and again. I prefer to enjoy the location of where I am versus paying more for a better room, that's just me. And there were NO BED BUGS!!!
One tip, buying food for breakfast lunch and dinner got expensive, and the Bahamas are kind of pricey, next time I will bring some peanut butter and jelly or something. Also a liter bottle of water was $5.50 in gift shop, the water in the hotel room actually tastes good, and this is coming from someone who is extremely picky about water, i never drink from the tap at home,so I just refilled my bottle but would have brougHt water if I had known. Prices in the bahamas are more expensive, so be prepared. Oh and bring your own coffee!!

Room Tip: Make sure you are facing the marina! Really pretty.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank carrie831
FORT LAUDERDALE
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Note - that there are two hotels here - owned by the same company - one is the timeshare place with the pool and the beach - one is the motel place next to the marina. I stayed at the motel place. Nice, quiet, basic - but everything I needed, you don't spend much time in your room so it doesn't need to be great but if you want a fancy room go to the timeshare place. All staff were great at both places, helpful and nice. BUT, I have one concern and I got on here to see if I can get a response from the hotel/restaurant - I was very concerned about the two turtles in the tanks in the restaurant, they were probably suitable when the turtles were smaller but the staff informed me one has been in there for two years. the one near the kitchen door has to swim constantly, I would assume that it will die soon with no where to rest, it seems to be in a panic most of the time, there is no room for it to get onto the float, The float is broken - I tried to fix it. They need to be moved into bigger area immediately. Have you throught about the 'pond' area outside the front door? if the water doesn't get too hot there - it would be perfect, the water wouldn't be too deep, you could put rocks for them to sunbathe on. and they wouldn't be compelled to constantly swim. I love the Bahamas, thought this hotel/motel was adequate for what we wanted, restaurant food was good, beach was great, but my concern for the turtles worried me (and other diners) the whole time we were there and since my return. Please let me know that will change their accommodation - so they may live without stress.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank FloridaJackie
tainobeach, Guest Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Thank you for your recent Posting regarding our property.
We are pleased that you had a nice visit in Grand Bahama. We can address your concern about the turtle that has outgrown his tank.
We have placed a new small (Silver Dollar sized) Turtle in his tank, while placing the fully grown Turtle into a much bigger environment. Last reports are that he is happy and swimming, and as always, eating very healthy foods while continuing to grow!
We look forward to your next visit!
Brisbane, California
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Hisws booked thr best vacations ever or summer ay both timeshare slicitatio. Services. I gree with othrreviwers I is no a resort but a old blockofunits which has sub standard rooms poor excuse for kitchen, no room to swing a ca lt alone luggage. Resort facilities across at Taino. The staff therevr not friendly. Pool area is good there, water too warm as it is not deep. The beach e is good. To get around you catch a taxi - e ferry ride to shops is quite expensive when ou consider it is 5 minute ride. $ 5 per prison return. Negotiate with taxi or private/taxi car drivers. If e had better accomadation in a proper well kept resort we woudbhavevwanted to stay longer. It is slightly expensive. Shamewevfound a lovely taxi driver the day before e left. Did not enjoy summer festival. Beware of taxi's overcharging. Negotiate heavily. We had to pay $ 5 for water when we arrived as all was closed. $ 6 bread.just a room.the phones weren't working so we did not get the hard sell on time share.thank god!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marie T

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels