All reviews big mama swim up bar key deposit adjoining property restaurant food was good kitchen sink port lucaya market place cleaned every day spent nights bring your own explore the island pool and hot tub rooms are nice coffee pot lucayan national park grocery store lounge chairs
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

We won a trip to Freeport through travglobe. Having traveled to the Bahamas before, and doing our homework, we understood that we would have to pay for a cab to the hotel and that many items were "extra", so we were well prepared. The adjoining property has a beautiful pool and magnificent beach. The room was clean and had a great mini kitchen area. We brought dry goods/snack foods with us to save on some costs. The hotel restaurant has very good food and a spectacular view as it is on the beach. Big Momma got us hooked up with our scuba diving trips. It was relatively quiet on the island and we had a lovely trip.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn H
Reviewed 24 August 2018

I guess this is par for buying a late night package that is too good to be true. My biggest complaint is with the company that sold me the package.(VIP TOURS, STAY AWAY!!!!!).I was booked, or so I thought, for the VIVA WYNDHAM FORTUNA Beach resort, cool. Then a week prior to my trip I was sent my conformation to FLAMINGO BAY HOTEL. That is not even a choice on their web site. Looked up this property and was very disappointed from the reviews. Called VIP Tours and went back and forth with them, they eventually told me I could stay at Taino Beach Hotel. I was waiting for conformation, then the day prior I was told that I could only stay at Flamingo Bay.
Every review is no exaggeration about the property. You get nickled and dimed for EVERYTHING!!! 10 rent towel, 10 rent iron, 20 room key, 2.89 gallon of water, 3.50 pack of Oatmeal. CRAZY PRICES!!
Bathrooms were gross and I requested shower to be cleaned, not once did they do it. Yes, large bed however, air conditioner, ceiling fan; noisy, kitchen sink old dirty.
there is no shuttle to and from the airport; 25 for 2 people. No matter where you go, people are trying to get you to go to a presentation. Be prepared! The last boat to the market left my wife and I stranded at Port Lucaya, we had to take a cab back. However, we were given a free round trip boat taxi for compensation.
All in all, my wife and I had a great trip and made the best of it. It was not ALL BAD!!
The beach is fantastic, the pool is great too.
We rented a car, THE BEST MOVE!!! We were able to tour the island at out own pace and did a lot of sight seeing.
We went to the Lucayan National Park (5.00 per person) and toured Ben's Cave and Lucanyan Cavern where the Indian burial grounds are. The best part was Gold's Beach....BREATH TAKING!! We had the ENTIRE beach to ourselves. There was a tour that came through and they stayed for about 1 hour, that's how we got pictures. We ate at Bishop's,another out of the way spot... great food!
We toured Million Dollar Row, West Beach, Fortuna Beach, Lacayan Beach, All Amazing places.
Not much for night life...
Wednesday Night Fish Fry, GREAT PLACE TO EAT AND DANCE!!
Thursday and Sunday Nights, Bon Fire with show at the Tiano hotel.
Eat at Daddy Brown's at the Lucayan Market, $10.00 for 2 fried fish and Conch Fritters you gotta have it!! Local owner, small yellow shack, DELICIOUS FOOD!
Car rental was $60.00 for 24hours ( Hyundai Elantra). Gas was about 4 dollars per liter.
Once we got over the bad hotel, our trip was AMAZING!!
If you averaged what we paid and what we got for JUST THE ROOM, it is not worth $139.00 per night. We had a great time, made great memories, hotel had a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edurado L
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

I won a 5 day 4 night stay from Blue Harmony Travel (), so they were paying for the cost of the room, but I had to pay the hotel taxes which was about $30 a day when I checked-in and was charged an expensive hotel fee by the travel agency for amenities which I’m still trying to figure out for what. I was led to think I was staying at the Taino Beach Resort, when I received my reservation slip it was for the Flamingo Bay Hotel at Taino Beach which is a short walk across the street. Taxi ride from the port to the hotel was $30 for 2 people and about a 20 minute drive. Fare prices are not listed on cabs like in the U.S.. Cab drivers pretty much tell you what they are charging to take you somewhere. Some drivers are honest and some are scammers, so be careful. If you plan on staying in the Bahamas for any length of time, rent a car and save you the hassle. There are maps of the area at the hotel and GPS will help you get around. Gas is about $3.50 a gallon. Check in at 4pm, but we were able to check-in and got our room immediately. Read the agreement for the room. It is noted at the top of the agreement that the property is still recovering from the hurricanes and somethings may not be available. There is a $20 key deposit, a $10 deposit for a beach towel if you didn’t bring one. $50 fees if your room is excessively dirty. There is a late check-out fee and an early check-out fee if you do not give them advanced notice. A $250 fine if you get caught with an animal in the room, and some other things. Must see Big Mama after check-in, she’ll show you the excursions that are available and offer you a free breakfast and excursion of your choice if you sit in on a time share presentation. No thank you! We were in a ground floor room, parking was right outside the door. The room was clean at first glance, big king size bed, clean sheets, not comfy for my liking. Out-dated bathroom, fixtures were pulling out from the wall, little to no hot water. However the room was cleaned everyday. There is a/c and ceiling fan, both were very loud/noisy and kept me up at ALL night. I was able to get WiFi in the room, but I was next to the lobby, it’s slow and not able to download or stream. I recommend calling your cell provider and getting an international package for data/text/calling or you’ll be hit with costly fees for roaming or using the phone in the room. Cell service on the island is 3G. There’s a flat screen tv with a variety of channels. Room was NOT quiet and peaceful, I heard people and cars outside all the time and from other rooms. There was a constant noise all day and night coming from the walls. It must have been water flowing through pipes. It was loud and annoyed me to no end. Ice machine on second floor as well as laundry, which I didn’t use. Small kitchenette (microwave, small refrigerator, coffee pot, toaster). Stop by the grocery store to save some money. The pool at Taino Beach Resort is very nice, however floats are NOT provided so bring your own. The beach is quiet, clean, empty, water is clear and refreshing. When it comes to spending money there is a 12% VAT (Value Added Tax) everywhere. Food at the resort’s restaurant is expensive! An 18% gratuity is automatically added to the cost of your meal. Breakfast for two could easily cost $30+. Dinner for two cost almost
$100. Don’t expect constant attention from the way staff. There is an okay meal selection from the menu. There is a small convenient store in the hotel lobby, items are reasonably priced. The boat ferry over to the Lucaya Market Square is right out the back door, round trip ticket is $7 a person. It leaves every hour on the hour and takes about 5 minutes to shuttle you over. Some of the water excursions such as snorkeling, glass bottom boat, jet ski and fishing leave right from the marina out the back door. The hotel property grounds were clean and maintained. I’d really have to think about staying here again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jwg0821
Reviewed 30 July 2018

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE!!! Do not stay at this nasty and disgusting place. Save yourselves...advertising is misleading; not like what you see online. My family and I had to check-out the same day...the room is flithy with bugs, the sheets have dark spots all over (possible bed-bugs), mold marks, rusty toaster over, the front door does not close properly (almost falling)...there is no beach - beach is borrowed at another property across from this place; will have to walk. There front office staff has no clue or standards including Big Mama, as they are very comfortable with how the rooms are.

Room Tip: Motel!!! Not a Family/ Vacation Spot
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank keneshiaapple
tainobeach, Guest Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Dear Keneshia,

We apologize for the experience you had at The Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina and the miscommunication given to you by a third party. As it clearly states on our website (www.flamingobaymarina.com), we are not a front beach property. It is noted that it is approximately 200 yards and amenities are shared at our sister property located across the street. We have made a follow up call to make sure that guest are informed correctly from the third party of the amenities shared with the resort in order to prevent further misrepresentation. We are in the process of checking the room you were assigned since we take complaints very seriously. Our goal is to have clean and refreshed rooms available to all our guests. Our properties are fumigated monthly. We will follow up with the the fumigation company to ensure that this room will be taken care of.

Hotel Management

Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

This place isn’t 5 stars, but it grows on you quickly!!! The staff is so friendly and accommodating and Big Mama was AH-Mazing!! I definitely would visit again. It’s clean and the service is good! The view from the restaurant is gorgeous.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
tainobeach, Guest Relations Manager at Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Thanks for reviewing your stay on Tripadvisor. We love our staff and as you may already know, they make a place special. Hope to see you again soon.