“Beautiful beach...we'd go back!!”
Review of Island Seas Resort

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Nice resort....peaceful and quiet....clean....beautiful beach and water. Laundry room available for do-it-yourself. Traded a time share for this property...would not buy here...but would go back due to the location. Near mall, grocery store, and restaurant.....short drive by auto we rented, but located by itself on a beautiful beach. Only negative aspect was the bar/restaurant in the middle of the resort which was open for lunch....extremely poor service!!!
The restaurant opens at night and served good food, nothing extravagant. We only ate a couple of meals there. If you're going to the Bahama's to party...this is not the place. If you're going to rest and relax, it's great. I snorkeled right off the resort and it was decent.

Room Tip: Someone told me to slip the reception a $20.00 bill...it did no good. Beachfront rooms are for owne...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Island Seas Resort

Reviewed 31 July 2011

We stayed at Island Seas (IS) with another couple in June and found the weather very hot day and night. The staff at the front desk during check in were WONDERFUL. I have witnessed it the opposite in the years past and the change was amazing.

The houskeeping staff was still a little slow with delivering the towels, especially the face clothes. I think faceclothes aren't used in the Bahamas because they would willingly deliver the towels(including extras, which we had to request in the first place) but they would always be low on the faceclothes. Not a big deal to us. Mid week they came in and changed our sheets (daily change is not typical for timeshare). Housekeeping still needs a slight improvement, but it didn't bother us too much. I think they have a minimal amount of towels. They are taken back, washed and then returned to the rooms. If they doubled their inventory on towels this turnaround problem would disappear.

One morning we had no water pressure because the water tower had been hit by lighening the night before. As a result the whole island was without water for a couple of hours. The staff at the restaurant during breakfast tried to be accommodating by boiling bottled water for tea. Once again, we were very happy with their efforts. They were wonderful.

EVERYTHING seems to have been improved. The turnaround time for requests with housekeeping are still a little slower than the states - but hey we are on vacation and need to chill out! I LOVE VISITING ISLAND SEAS. I have seen the improvements over the years and would go back (in Spring) again in a second.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tropikal_bug
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We arrived at resort at 3:30 p. for a 4 pm check in. Room was not ready until 5 p - the room we were had faulty air conditioning necessitating a change of rooms. By the time we were in the second room it was 7 p., - 3 hrs. spent on settling into a room when we could have been beach/pool side. The bathroom has a very suspicious odor (urine?) and the toilet had no lid - highly unsanitary. We had prepaid our meals and beverages and the food was very poor. Buffet dinners both nights - thank goodness we were only there for the weekend. Lunch was not much better. It took us at least an hour to be served every time we ordered - apparently this is the norm. No room service available. The only saving grace was the staff, who were very friendly and helpful and the beach and pool were very nice but we will NOT return nor recommend this place of our family or friends.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jsanNYC
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Did a timeshare exchange via Dial-An-Exchange and was very pleased with what we received. Probably in the hey-days of the Bahamas this might have been the most desireable location on Grand Bahamas Island, but that was about a decade ago, or more. Still a pretty nice place on the beach, with decent pool, and marina across the street.

Front desk staff was accommodating and helpful, but activities director was mostly lacking. While the Daily Activities List was quite lengthy, there often was no one from the resort to direct the activities. This was most disappointing especially since the resort basically abdicated all authority to this phantom missing person. Oh well, after being burned a couple of times we decided to schedule our own activities on the island apart from our resort.

They have a costly all-inclusive option, but since food was relatively affordable at the local markets (SaveMore and Sawyers, rather than City Market & Butlers) we opted to often do our own cooking.

Would definitely consider both returnning to Freeport/Lucaya and Island Seas in the future...

1  Thank papichulito
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I was a little worried before I left for my trip to the Island Seas Resort after reading many reviews. We ended up having a great time . The resort grounds and beach were very well maintained . We ended up with a great view of the pool and the beach. The condos inside were not bad, what you would expect of a three star resort. The cleaning service did a great job keeping it clean. We did not have any trouble getting towels. The help at Island Seas were very pleasant. Right from the beach we saw dolphins and sting rays swim buy that was fun to see. Great family place nice and quite., very relaxing. Check in was very easy no wait. I was pleasantly surprised after what I had read. My family and I had a great time. Hope you have the same experience

4  Thank lleve
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We traded our timeshare week to stay here. I agree with a lot of the previous reviews. Getting a fresh beach towel is almost impossible no matter how often you try. I had to call the front desk 2x's to get toilet paper. I had to go to the front desk to get another box of tissues. I felt like we had to ask to get even the basics.
Maintenance, on the other hand, came right away when we called for a TV remote or when a light was out.
The bar area was nice. The pool was nice. The grounds were well cared for. I felt safe. The rooms need a good cleaning and some repair work. This, not the service, is the main reason I would not go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the oean/pool side.
3  Thank hipster4
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This is my 7th time to Freeport, Bahamas and 6th time to stay at Island Seas. I haven't been in a couple years so after reading so many negative reviews lately, I got a little nervous. I know the resort very well and even what to expect, but people have made it seem like a dump...which it definitely is not. My husband and I visited Island Seas with my adult sister and her boyfriend and my parents.

A couple notes for those of you either already planning to come or those of you thinking about coming. This resort is not a Sandal's - it does not have activities constantly, it is not all-inclusive, and it is not a high-traffic ritzy resort. Island Seas is for families that want to go to the beach for a few days to hang out and relax. If you want to be busy, this resort is not for you. My family has established a system when we come. We buy groceries the first day and fix breakfast and lunch in our room every day and then go out at night. In the past the grocery stores have been extremely high, maybe even twice U.S. prices, but this time we found the grocery store Save More. The prices are very comparable and will definitely save you more money than going to the on-site/off-site restaurants for breakfast every day. We particularly like eating in our room just because we can come in from the beach, eat, and then go right back out. The pool and hot tub are fabulous - great for floating if you bring a blow-up raft! As far as the room goes, here are some "secrets" we've discovered in the past:

1. Ask for beach towels upon checking in and don't turn them back in. Keep them for the duration of your stay.
2. Go through your room with the check list and find out what you're missing. Be sure to make a separate list of the things you really need (i.e. towels, wash clothes, pillows, sheets for the sofa bed, missing plates, etc.). Call Housekeeping directly with your request - you won't get anywhere if you just call the front desk. Make friends with the head of housekeeping - they'll take care of you if you take care of them. Our experience has always been positive.
3. Get over the petty stuff - sure your remote may be missing the battery cover, who cares? It really does not affect your vacation at all!
4. A lot of the staff is off on Sundays so keep this in mind if you foresee needing something around the weekend.
5. Rent a car - it is so much easier and makes your stay much more relaxed. You can go and do what you want and when you want.
6. Explore restaurants around Freeport. Some of our favorites are: China Beach, Luciano's, Agave, and in the past we have loved Ruby Swiss and Pier One.
7. Definitely request a room on the ocean side. We prefer the first floor that has a walk-out patio. We have never stayed on the Marina side, but clearly it is not as nice or convenient.
8. Talk to the locals wherever you go, whether it's your taxi driver, resort staff, or server. Ask them their favorite places to go; they will point you in the right direction.
9. Travel. Since flights were so high this year, we flew to Ft. Lauderdale and then took the Discovery cruise ($79 each way). It was a great way to travel because it was basically just like a five hour breakfast cruise. We weren't confined to an airplane, we traveled with family so it felt like vacation had already began, and the drinks and buffet were all-inclusive! It really was a great deal!

As far as the safety of the walk-out patio goes, the glass door has three locking features on it: the rod at the bottom which doesn't allow the door to open more than four inches, a pin that goes in the top of the door that won't allow the door to open at all, and then a general lock on the handle of the door. I saw that someone asked to be moved - we feel quite safe on the ground floor. The staff here has continually gone above and beyond to help us and favor us in different ways. I have been amazed since I came in not having high expectations from the other reviews. This has been another WONDERFUL vacationing experience at Island Seas. Hope this review will help you in a future visit. If you want a time away to spend a low-key relaxing vacation, come to Island Seas, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Request ground floor, beach side.
9  Thank rcs1008