“Best Place to Relax”

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Lincoln, Nbraska
“Best Place to Relax”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

After reading all the reviews about the resort, I decided to add on a few lines. My wife and I have been enjoying the friendly atmosphere at the Island Seas for the past twelve years. The accomodations may not be the best; although, the condos are large and ours has a beautiful view of the ocean. We simply love the people, as they are some of the friendliest, welcoming people that we have ever met. It is the beach and the people that keep on bringing us back. Freeport is not the place that I would travel for night life or cultural attractions, as it really doesn't have much to offer. Freeport, Grand Bahama is the ideal place for relaxation on the beach during the day hours and peaceful rest in the evenings. As far as safety, we find it to be one of the safest places in the world, or at least, the ten countries that I have visited.

In order to enjoy the Bahamas one has to travel with an open mind and realize that one is not in the United Satates. There are certain courtesy rules that one must follow, such as; always greet someone with a smile and a good morning or afternoon before engaging in conversation or asking for directions. That is no different than traveling in Europe or Latin America. Unfortunately, in the United States we have forgotten the art of being courteous and treat others with respect. People will treat you the way you treat them, that has been my experience. I guess that I like to think myself of a traveler rather than a tourist, as I like to get to know the people and their own cultures that sets them apart from the rest of the world.

Room Tip: Beach front is the way to go.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jorge S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My girlfriend purchased a Groupon deal and received this resort as part of Celebration Bahamas cruise line "cruise and stay package". We were at Island Seas for 2 days. We purchased a round trip ticket for $17 on our cruise ship for transportation to and from the resort. Our check in process was hectic. Many people came from the cruise ship to this resort. A desk clerk tried to push a time share/free breakfast combination on use right away. The cruise staff had let everyone know that the rooms would not be ready for several hours. So, my friend and I took our our swimsuits and significant belongings and went hung out at the beach (until the room was ready). They had a place to store luggage (so we didn't have to carry it around). They also had a "hospitality room" --- several TVs, 2 bathrooms, showers, water, coffee. You can go there if your room isn't ready or if you've checked out (but transportation hasn't arrived).

The sofa and chair was old. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable. I slept on it one night (and then traded with my friend for the double bed). The double bed was not very comfortable either (but was better than the sofa bed). There were plenty of clean towels. The kitchen, bathroom, floors, ect were clean. There was a VERY STRONG odor of ammonia in our room. We had to open the front and back sliding glass doors to let the room air out!! There were plastic chairs on front and back patios. There was adequate silverware and dishes in he kitchen. Refrigerator and stove were modern.

The main restaurant was closed. All meals were served at "Coconuts" the outdoor bar/restaurant. The serve was very underwhelming. One morning, I skipped lunch after waiting over 20 minutes for anyone to acknowledge my presence (it wasn't very busy either). The food is just average. There is a beach side restaurant (under a blue tent, small sign that says Michelle's Kitchen on the street). It is a short walk on the right from the resort. For $15, you get decent portion of fish, chicken, conch or lobster tail, bahamian rice/peas, few fried plantains and some steamed vegetables. I was wary, but decided it would be worth a try (due to slow service at resort). I had the jerk chicken (very good) and my friend had fried fish (she said it was very fresh).

They have beach chairs and towels. The pool and jacuzzi are really nice. Very little hassling from locals. Quiet beach, beautiful view, very relaxing.

I would visit Freeport again, but would look for a place with more comfortable bed and better restaurants service. Typically, I would not include information from third part, but I think this information might be helpful. There was a couple with a young son (who came to resort from cruise, too). The cruise really pushed shore excursions (the resort moderately so). There is an advertised bon fire (about 20 minutes from the resort). It was called a luau. It was $55 for adults and $30 for children. The couple was SO disappointed when they returned. They said the bonfire was on the beach --- away from the restaurant where the event was held. They advertised a "fire dancers". It turned out to be a single woman dancing around restaurant with a lighted plate. They also said the food and VERY underwhelming. So, you may want to watch out if this event is pushed heavily during your resort stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the same side as the beach. Clarify how many beds will be in your room. The web...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dooleyvilleblog
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2012

What is good about this resort - one of the most lovely beaches. Nice spacious rooms.
What is bad about this resort - the beds are full size and the mattresses feel like they are a decade old and general condition of the rooms need renovating. They just need a little bit of upgrading and it would make such a difference. Been here twice and they conditions get worse. Last time I was there the bar has computerized servings of bottom shelf liquor. The restaurant food offerings are very limited and the staff is lack luster.
But the beach really is lovely just hope they take better care of what surrounds the beach!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the beach. If they renovate and get new beds...this place would be grea...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dee J
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

I liked Island Seas. The rooms were spacious and clean. The menu for food was a little limited and since it was the slow season, the shuttle to the port was limited.

The snorkeling there is great. If you swim out about 50 ft and head to the right you'll come across squid, rays, and a large variety of fish. I was very surprised and spent hours a day swimming and just looking around underwater.

If you want a place to get away & just clear your head without a lot of fuss, Island Seas will work.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Kahntra
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed at Island Seas Resort in Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas and thoroughly enjoyed myself. the room was spacious. The employees were every friendly and helpful. the food was great. the restaurant had some light entertainment, which was enjoyable, and the atmosphere was relaxing. Its a great place to stay for a getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach are great.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Harold A
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 13 September 2012

There I sat with my feet buried in the sand and a cup of coffee in my hand while I watched the sun peak over the vast expanse of the Atlantic Ocean. This quiet solitary time of the day is my favorite part of vacation. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy vacation activities like touring, shopping, gaming and visiting but when I dream of vacation, I dream about my peaceful early mornings on the beach at Island Seas.

Everyone's idea of vacation is different. For some, a vacation is visiting Family who live far away. For others it may be getting away from Family and doing something they find relaxing. While I like to visit Family, my ideal vacation is to go somewhere with blue skies, hot weather, warm sand beaches and clear blue waters.

Island Seas Resort on Grand Bahama Island is my vacation spot of choice. Are they the fanciest or the cheapest or have the most amenities? No. So why do I prefer Island Seas? Because everyone there will greet you with a smile on their face; from management to maintenance personnel. They'll ask you how you are enjoying your stay, if they can help you, etc... Tell someone that you have an issue/problem/question/need and they'll stop what they are doing and take care of you. Every person there goes above and beyond when it comes to taking care of their visitors.

We've visited hotels and resorts all over the island and the beach at Island Seas is by far the nicest. They have someone out there by 7 a.m. every morning making sure the beach is clean and safe.

Whether you're looking for a place to take your Family or a place to escape your Family - Island Seas Resort is the place you want to go. We return year after year and are never ready for our visit to end.

Room Tip: Go for an Ocean Front Room - they're peaceful and relaxing.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CynDe C
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We were disappointed with this resort. The restaurant, only one, was expensive for the quality of food. The bar was even worse. Happy hour was limited to a lower quality of alcoholic beverage than was served other times of the day. Wine was not on the list!
While our room was well located with good view of the beach and pool, and was cleaned well everyday, the outside areas of the complex were desperately in need of power washing.
The shuttle to town was only run in daytime and taxis were expensive if you used them.
Activities were few and actual pictures of the resort online seem to be larger than they are really.

Room Tip: Unless you are an owner at this timeshare you will not get an ocean front. I asked for an got an oce...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple