“Beach Resort at a good price. Average beach resort.”
Review of Island Seas Resort

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Huntington Station, New York
“Beach Resort at a good price. Average beach resort.”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Island Seas
This is a 3.5 resort because it is outdated BUT they are trying….so I rated it a 4. I had a good experience, the price was GREAT, and if I get another offer like it again from Interval I will definitely go again. It is right on the beach and the STAFF is SO FRIENDLY, EVERYBODY says hi to you and has a smile. If you want to spend $300 a night and want a 5 star go to the Grand Lucayan. If you want a 4 star resort at $150, spend some extra and go to Taino Beach resort (huge pool and slide). If you want a good deal and can deal with some of the outdated parts, then Island Seas is your resorts. The pictures on here are a good indication of what you will get. There were rusted parts in the bathroom (toilet bolts and shower rack), the kitchen cabinetry was outdated and the wood inside was breaking, I wasn’t a fan of the couch (floral outdated) BUT it wasn’t a big deal to me (the price was right for a beach resort).
Negatives:
No wifi in the rooms. If you want wireless internet you have to sit around their outside restaurant Coconuts.
Only 1 computer in the lobby, they charge $5 for 15 minutes. My computer broke so instead of paying their price I went to the Starbuck Café at Port Lucaya that gave you 30 minutes everytime you purchased something.
Only 1 frying pan in the room. There is no blender in the room but you can request it from the member services office.
Gym needs updating and hope that there is only 1 other person in there. 1 bike, 1 working treadmill, a bench, and some weights. THAT IS IT! TV works if you can figure out how to turn it on. Light switch needs to be on and the “turn on” button for the TV is on the bottom right corner on the back of the TV.
No soap dish in the shower.
You’re going to need bottled water the tap water is HORRIBLE! I normally am ok with tap…this is one of the first times I ONLY drank bottled water because of the taste of the tap water.
Monday they have a free shuttle bus to the RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED supermarket Solomons (but this is where the locals shop, it is just expensive b/c it gets shipped in from the US). The resort provides multiple trips because there are like 70 people waiting for a bus that holds 20. The shuttle is at 1245, get there at 1230 to grab the first shuttle out. If you get there at 12:45 you’re at the end and have to wait until 1:15 ish to get out of the resort. It would be nice if there was a shuttle for everyday after check-in (Saturday, Sunday). The public bus will take you from Port Lucaya for $2 BUT once your at the supermarket you have to HOPE a nice bus driver will take you back to island seas for a few extra dollars, because the resort is NOT on the public bus route. I offered a bus driver $10 to take me back to Island Seas on a Sunday and he jumped right on my offer. It was Sunday so I didn’t want to wait for another bus driver if I offered $5 and they didn’t want it. Cookies $6, Cereal $7, Milk $6, Juice $6, chips $5, paper towels $3 each….I think you get my drift 
*So to get to the supermarket on Sunday, I used the free shuttle bus from island seas to Port Lucaya, the shuttle bus driver (Eddie) will drop u off at the bus stop if you ask him. At the bus stop, wait and ask the bus driver if he will take you to Solomons supermarket, if he says yes, it is like $1.50. Then right outside of the supermarket is the bus stop. Wait and ask a bus driver if you pay them extra will they take you back to island seas.
*Another negative at Island Seas is they don’t let you know what is going on off the resort at night (Bon Fires, Fish Frys, and Pig roasts) when you check-in, they should have it written out as a courtesy.
*Airport shuttle would be a nice perk….taxi is $22-$25 each way. Contact Forbes Charter and get a voucher before hand, somebody told me it is $13 each way.
*Check-in is REALLY 4pm……people wait around with their carry-on luggage at the outside restaurant Coconuts. I had no problems checking out, 5 minutes.
Positives:
Shuttle bus is driven by this nice elderly man Eddie. TIP HIM $1 each time you ride, it is a free shuttle to Port Lucaya BUT I’m sure he works for minimum wage. So throw him a tip. Shuttle bus runs hourly (except when he takes a 1 hour lunch break) from 930AM – 630PM. A cab from Port Lucaya to the resort is $12 and you can catch them outside of the casino or outside the Port Lucaya shops is a stand. There are about 15 different places to eat at Port Lucaya (Café, Greek, Chinese, Agave-Mexican, Subway, Dominos, Bar food, Pizza Hut, Bahamian cuisine). Across from Port Lucaya is the Casino and high end resort with restaurants.
*The clientele is great. Retirees and working class couples.
*The beach had about 80 people outside. The pool had about 35 on the chairs.
*Happy Hour at Coconuts is 4-6 so they have 2 for 1 drink specials. I got Pina Coladas.
*There are plenty of places to pick up maps and books of day time activities around the island. There are maps when you check-in and also the room has a booklet with info on the resort. BUT for nighttime activities you need to ask around because once 9pm hits the place is dead except for 2 nights I heard they had karaoke and another night they had Bahamian music.
*I didn’t see the tennis courts but they said they had free tennis on the grounds.
*The pool is nice and was empty. There is a nice waterfall that falls into the pool. I saw people use the Jacuzzi.
*When you walk out to the beach, either way, a few minutes away are locals cooking up some seafood and meat. I only went to Michelle’s. $12 for fish (with bones), and $15 for twin lobster tails, $20 for a lobster and a fish. It came with rice, some cabbage, and plaintains. The twin lobsters were my favorite and I ordered that 3 different times.
*The beach is AWESOME! Very little seaweed, white sandy beach, very soft by the towel area. Some rocks in the water but stay to the left side (less rocks). The sunrise and sunset are beautiful.
*I felt REALLY SAFE at the resort! 2 nights I was out on my first floor balcony on my phone and security passed by. I even joked with security and asked them if anybody got robbed this week, he laughed and said no we haven’t had an incident in a while and definitely NOT that week. Then I joked with the taxi drivers and asked them if people get robbed at Port Lucaya and they laughed at me also and said that doesn’t happen on this island. Tourism is #1 on the island and they have cameras all around Port Lucaya. I’m a New Yorker so trusting people is not my thing BUT I asked around and people looked at me like I was crazy for asking.
* So just some extra FYI: Locals harass you but it is expected, they are looking to make money. They want you to check out what they are selling, they want you to come to their restaurants, they want you to braid your hair. Timeshares from other resorts such as Ocean Reef and Taino Beach try to get you to do breakfast or lunch to listen to their timeshare promos. Taino Beach offered $50 to a really nice restaurant called Agave. Island Seas offers breakfast or lunch to listen to their timeshare promo. As gifts they give you t-shirts, Bacardi, and a choice of 5 things to do. I did the glass bottom boat located at the canal across from the front entrance.
*If you are in your 20’s and single….this is NOT your kinda resort. The average age is 50. This is a quiet resort, everyone is sleeping by 10pm (if not earlier). 95% are couples.
*At Taino Beach for $55 there is a buffet bonfire (15 minutes away), 3 nights a week (Tuesday, Thursday and I forgot the 3rd night). Wednesday night at Smith’s Point (Taino Beach) is a Fish Fry. It is like 7 local outside restaurants serving fried fish and sides….it starts at like 630ish. A cab back to the resort should be like $15. By Island Seas resort there is also a Fish Fry and Bon Fire but smaller, walk down to the beach and make a left, walk that way they have cards with what they have going on.

Room Tip: If you like to look at a canal ask for that but you then have to cross the street to get to the fron...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lehti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2012

And we like quiet.
We came here on a timeshare sales "cheap" trip. We were somewhat surprised that it was not all inclusive for us when we arrived and ordered drinks. No one told us this. We were quite impressed with the rooms and most people were friendly, although the people who checked us in could have been a little more informative about what we were getting. We did not even know there was a convenience store on site until we were leaving.
The beach was nice and clean but snorkeling kind of sucks as there is really nothing to see and waves are constant turning up sand making the water kind of murky. No real reef here.
There is a swim up bar but it was closed up. the coconuts bar shuts at 9 and after that there is nothing going on here at all. No shows or entertainment. I am not sure why people come here.
This resort is really missing out on a lot of opportunities to increase their attendance and income.
if you are looking for entertainment or included activities skip this one

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank crichar1
Crestview, Florida
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Just returned and had a wonderful and relaxing two weeks at Island Seas Resort. Was in a one-bedroom suite and it was very spacious with cooking facilities. Lorraine was very helpful and took great care of the suite. She checked on us daily and made sure we have everything we needed. She also changed our sheets and mopped the floor. Complimentary rides were provided for us to go to Port Lucaya and the grocery shop Solomons. There is also a gift shop/grocery at the resort. Prices are higher than Solomons but it is convenient. Will be going back next year. Love the lobsters there.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IGSM
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed 8 November 2012

My husband and I were the guests of a friend in her time share the second week in October, 2012. We appreciated that we were non-paying guests. If we would have had to pay for our stay, we would have been less happy. The resort is far from town, where any acceptable restaurants are located. It also suffers from lacadaisical upkeep and cleaning. I had to avoid a broom and dustpan lying on the walkway for most of a day. The walkways were seldom swept, Corners and under the furniture areas don't get much attention. Beach toys and trash from previous tenants stayed under the stairwell the entire week we were there. The only restaurant at the resort offered below average food at far above average prices. The best deal was the happy hour drink specials, which were watered down, but priced accordingy. The resort offers a free shuttle service to Lucaya, but offers only four trips each way every day, and none back to the resort in the evening. If you want to eat in town you have to pay about $25 for a cab ride back. The beach in front of the resort is acceptable, but just beside it in each direction it is dirty, trashy. Watch out for broken glass, which makes it unpleasant for strolling, let alone running, on the beach. The two bedroom unit had comfortable beds, but thin pillows and low quality linens. Housekeeping service was sporadic, infrequent, and minimal. As a result, I did to feel the need to tip as generously as I usually do. The kitchen did not have the full count of dishes and table service. Most similar resorts where we have stayed included at least salt and pepper and a roll of paper towels. Not here. Beware of the on site grocery/market. The prices are not marked on any items and when you check out you will defintely be fleeced: almost $10 for a mini cardboard set of salt and pepper and the smallest carton of coffee creamer. The supermarket to which the resort provided a single free shuttle ride at the begining of the week is also very expensive with a limited selection, compared to most US super markets. I suspect there may be cheaper places on the island. Then again, it may be that everything is expensive because everything has to be imported and transported from across the ocean. It appears that the downtown area of Freeport and Lucaya is in a commercial slump. More than half the stores at the International Marketplace are gone. In Lucaya we were sad and disappointed to find some of the better restaurants were closed. Prices were the same as in the US, but the choices and quality were not as good. Of course, since it was off-season; that may contributed to the lagging businesses. Our trip to Freeport proved to be more relaxing than we we wanted. We were looking for more entertainment. We may return, but will have to adjust our expectations.

Room Tip: Beware of the on site time share sales people.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ABLePlymouth_MI
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The resort staff were very friendly and for the most part, I felt very well taken care of. There were quite a few utensils and dishes missing but when I called, they fixed things up nicely. The only thing that wasn't done was the replacing of the broken tv remote and it just never materialized so I had to leave the tv on all the time and had a really hard time changing the channel.
The unit was roomy but quite dated although I was expecting that after reading reviews. The food was so-so and I ventured down the beach to the right about two minutes and found the fantastic Michele's Kitchen on the Beach. John and Michele cook fresh lobster tail, yummy snapper, conch, jerk pork and jerk chicken along with rice and peas, lovely cooked greens and delicious plantains - all at VERY reasonable prices. It was my favourite place to eat hands down.
My overall experience of this part of Grand Bahamas Island was terrific. I had a great time dancing at Kirk's Bar down the road, went to the Wednesday night fish fry, and enjoyed the Saturday night music in Count Basie Square. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: I chose a suite away from the ocean with the balcony facing a lovely marina on a canal. Perfect for...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank NathalieC80
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

Island Seas Resort has a great location if you want some peace and quiet. Clean beach, white sand and clear water. They only provided a service for 2 for plates and etc. overall, the room is clean but by the end of the week, there were ants on the sliding door to the balcony. Great view from the ocean front room. Great sound from the waves. Timmy at the front desk made checking it real fast and easy. Thanks, T. They updated the bedding, stove is smooth top and the rest of the appliances are working.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Bldeveryday
Lincoln, Nbraska
Reviewed 29 October 2012

After reading all the reviews about the resort, I decided to add on a few lines. My wife and I have been enjoying the friendly atmosphere at the Island Seas for the past twelve years. The accomodations may not be the best; although, the condos are large and ours has a beautiful view of the ocean. We simply love the people, as they are some of the friendliest, welcoming people that we have ever met. It is the beach and the people that keep on bringing us back. Freeport is not the place that I would travel for night life or cultural attractions, as it really doesn't have much to offer. Freeport, Grand Bahama is the ideal place for relaxation on the beach during the day hours and peaceful rest in the evenings. As far as safety, we find it to be one of the safest places in the world, or at least, the ten countries that I have visited.

In order to enjoy the Bahamas one has to travel with an open mind and realize that one is not in the United Satates. There are certain courtesy rules that one must follow, such as; always greet someone with a smile and a good morning or afternoon before engaging in conversation or asking for directions. That is no different than traveling in Europe or Latin America. Unfortunately, in the United States we have forgotten the art of being courteous and treat others with respect. People will treat you the way you treat them, that has been my experience. I guess that I like to think myself of a traveler rather than a tourist, as I like to get to know the people and their own cultures that sets them apart from the rest of the world.

Room Tip: Beach front is the way to go.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple