We just returned earlier this week from a week at Island Seas. We saw all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor,but have some friends who own a timeshare there and couldn't say enough good things about it so we decided to try it for our 2013 family vacation.
Many of the negatives that I read were based on the fact that there was essentially no night life at the resort. That is true - and one of the reasons we liked it so much. We took our 5 kids that are still at home (ages 11 - 18) and they all had a great time. The staff is exceptional - everyone that we dealt with was great. There are some special ones - Dr. Love, Talia (you gotta get this woman to sing for you - she is fantastic!!), Debbie, to name a few. Great rooms. You're on an absolutely stunning beach and beaches have sand, so don't expect for tyour room floors to be spotless all the time.
We had a two bedroom condo and it was just right for us. A nice, if small kitchen allowed us to cook as much as we wanted. There was one free trip (on Mondays) to Solomon's grocery store and I'd advise you to take advantage of that and buy up. Solomon's is a pretty nice store with a better selection than I have seen in the Bahamas before. Food costs significantly more than here in the states, so we took a suitcase loaded with food as well. Obvious restrictions on what you can carry in on a plane, but take what you can.
There is plenty to do on the island and we took advantage to some great snorkeling spots. Beautiful fish and coral. My wife and I have snorkeled in the Dominican and a couple areas of Mexico, and this was the best, hands down. If you haven't tried it, it is a good place to try conch. I am a seafood lover and pretty adventurous with new foods. It was good, but in my opinion, not great. I tried it in fritters, conch salad and cracked conch. I even ate one of the spinal thingies - pretty much like a salty gummie worm.
Island Sea's beach is wonderful. It was not overly full at the resort (we were a week ahead of spring break), so there were always beach chairs available when we wanted them. Great beaches for long walks. The resort is very family-friendly and again, the people are wonderful.
If you go looking for a 5-star resort with alot to do, you may be disappointed. But if you want a place to relax on the beach, with (have I mentioned this?) wonderful people and very adequate accomodations, this is the place for you. We loved it.
As a side note - they are in process of a major update for the rooms. All new furniture and such. I saw truck loads of new kitchen appliances and the new furniture is ordered and being shipped in. The laundry room is probably the one negative I can leave. Not nearly enough washers and dryers, and several with "Out of Order" signs on them. Pretty minor beef in my book. I'd love to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This fully furnished one and two bedroom condominium resort with full living/dining areas and private beach is set between the shopping and dining centers of Port Lucaya Marketplace, 2 miles away, and Freeport's International Bazaar, 3 miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Priceline, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Island Seas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Island Seas Hotel Freeport
- Island Seas Freeport
- Island Seas Resort Freeport Bahamas
- Island Seas Resort Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island