“Great vacation”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Glendale, California
“Great vacation”
Reviewed 6 February 2004

We stayed at the Island Seas Resort from the 31st of January through February 5th. We had a 2- bedroom condo--brand new, clean and well furnished--for about $150 (all taxes included) per nite. We had a lovely canal view.

The beach was unbelievably beautiful. White, powdery sand, shallow, clear, pristine water. It was great. We snorkeled near the point, snoozed in the shade and had a great happy hour each evening. Wonderful drinks at half price! Maxwell at the bar makes great drinks. The Coconuts restaurant was so-so, we did a lot of cooking in the condo.

Don't miss Zonk the Conch man down the beach. His conch salad is wonderful and priced well. It took two of us two meals to polish it off--large portions. He does Conch 11 ways--and fish as well. It's so worth the one minute walk down the beach.

We didn't do much--just truly relaxed. We found our unit quiet, secluded and wonderful. the housekeeping staff is wonderful--efficient, cheery and just downright accommodating. We never went into town, never left the property--we had plenty to do there.

People on the resort's beach selling beads and braiding got on our nerves. They became pushier each day and their constant sales pitches to everyone who walked by were irritating. They even acosted us when we got out of the water. But, annoying as they were, we didn't let that interfere with our time there.

We didn't attend the time share presentation but people who did felt it was too high pressure and even found the sales reps rude.

We met some nice people and found everyone was having a pretty good time. We were the only Californians there (or so it seemed) and most of the people were from the Easten half of the US. I know it's farther than most Californians want to go, but the place was spectacular.

We'd go back in a heartbeat. Great resort, nice people, lots of lazing around to be had for us weary travelers.

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank Wootie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Cleveland
Reviewed 31 January 2004

Room was great.,view was exceptional. But, add $30 per person per day charge just for staying there. $ 10 dollars per taxi ride to go anywhere (not near anything) so we spent about $40 dollars a day in taxi fair ,free shuttle bus is a joke.

Do not sign up for time-share free breakfast ...high pressure to get you to buy.

Port Luycaya is the "bomb"an the Sherton is across the street. Also gambling is at Sherton. Would of been just as beautiful and saved us money if we stayed at Sherton.

3 Thank pachine58

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Reviewed 29 January 2004

We recently spent a relaxing week at the Island Seas Resort with our best buds! The four of us had a wonderful time and we are already planning a return trip. The water and beach at the resort is just incredible. It was wonderful to walk the short distance to the beach and lay in the sun or play in the water. We found the beach very clean and inviting. We found the "locals" to be very friendly and accomodating. Yes, they approach you to buy their goods and such but are very pleasant if you say no. Hey, they have to make a living too!
The resort staff was all very friendly and eager to assist in any way.
The only complaint I had is that I left seven post cards with them and paid for postage (50 some cents each) and apparently they never mailed them as promised as no one has received them yet and it has been almost three weeks. Oh well, live and learn; next time I will find a mailbox and mail them myself. Groceries were somewhat expensive but not as bad as we had expected. Food at the restaurants we visited was only good at best, certainly not great. But we ate most of our meals in the condo and the rest of the vacation made up for the so-so food. I'd recommend using the locals for fishing, snorkeling and such and not waste your money with the tour companies. All in all we would highly recommend the Island Seas and we will make a return trip ourselves soon. Thanks.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 January 2004

I had just returned home from a week vacation at the Bahamas with my husband and another couple. I would like to share some information that I have found out while I was there, well first off we stayed at the Island Seas Resort, we had a two bedroom, two bath and a kitchen and living area, which I thought was pretty nice. Also we had no problem with the staff at the resort while we were there. The restaraunt located there (Coconuts) was a bit pricey on food and drinks, although they do have a happy hour where we got our drinks for $3.12, which were regularly $6.00 and some cents. Plus the gratituaty tax 15%. Along the beach there was Zonk the Conch man where you could also get your drinks cheaper there anytime day or evening, he only has Bahama Mama's and Kalik though. They have a bus that is free of charge that would only go to Port Lucaya, we got on that then when we got there we would take a public bus for $1.00 per person, so that was better that paying a expensive taxi to go anywhere, which we found out while getting to our resort we took a taxi. We did go to a presentation on Moday, but I though it was well worth it because we got breakfast a couple of tee-shirts and we got some discount coupons to go on any tour we picked off a sheet. We went kayaking, snorkeling and went on a booze cruise for very reasonable prices. Also Checked out Port Lucaya and the International Bazaar. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to try and answer them.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 January 2004

My husband and our best friends had never been to the Bahamas so they left it up to me to make all the arrangements. The Island Seas was the only resort available to trade in to when we wanted to go so I booked it before doing any research. After reading some of the posts on this site I thought "OH NO, if any of this is true I will never hear the end of it" So, I held my breath and we departed Kansas, City on 1/10/04 for our long anticipated relaxing vacation. As soon as we arrived we took a taxi to the resort and yes it is kind of expensive at $25.00 + tip for 4 adults but it has been just as expensive anywhere else we have vacationed. We were greeted at the front door by a very nice young gentleman who unloaded our bags from the taxi as we went inside where I had already warned them all that check in was not until 4PM and it was only 1pm so we would probably have to wait for our room. NOT SO. We were checked in within 30 min. which included the spill about the time share presentation. We thanked her and told her we were not interested and she said" that's fine but if you change your mind just let us know.
We were not hasseled every time we walked through the lobby or on the streets of Freeport like we were in Cabo San Lucas. We got settled in our room and took off for the beautiful beach where we were assisted by the very polite staff. Yes, they work for tips but any resort you go to they do. That's to be expected. We went to the grocery store, shopped at both marketplaces, went to the casino, went on some tours, ate in the restaurant at the resort and some in town and not once did we have anyone be rude to us. In fact it was the opposite. Everyone including the taxi drivers asked if we were having a good time and answered any questions we had. It is true that they are a laid back society, it's not their problem that most of the people visiting their world are always in a hurry. The only thing I will add is that we didn't like the venders at the straw markets being pushy, but we had the option to shop in the marketplace stores where the prices were about the same and they don't hassle you for your business. It still was not as bad as some other places we have vacationed at. The maid was wonderful to us too.
Sorry this was so long but I felt I needed to post this so anyone having doubt's maybe this will help. P.S. Yes, Zonk the Conch man has wonderful food. And before booking any fishing or snorkling talk to Bruce at Zonk's, he can fix you up at half the price and we had more fun with the locals that he arranged than any of the "companies"

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 January 2004

After reading many reviews, I was hesitant to take my family of 9.
After reserving 2 condos, when we arrived around 2:00 pm, both were ready. Our two bedroom had just been updated with new furniture, first floor walking out to the pool area. The one BR had an ocean view 2nd floor. Beautiful. Housekeeping kept the place clean. Coconuts was expensive but hey, we are in the Bahamas. I spent more at the LaQuardia Airport restaurant than at coconuts for a hamburger. The beach is beautiful and clean. We did not encounter garbage down the beach and we walked both ways every day. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We were there on an exchange spoke with other people who owned and they all felt that their time share was a wise investment. So if you are going, have a great time.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 December 2003

When I die, I want to go back to the Bahamas! The resort deserves its 5-star rating...staff are always smiling and happy to be of service. The place is indeed a tropical paradise and I plan to return soon.