“Loved The Island”

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2004

We just came back from Island Seas and had a wonderful time. I went with my Husband, 5 year & 3 year old and my mother. We had a two bedroom condo. Now we stayed for 9 nights from Jan 29 to Feb 7. Two were booked through condo express and we had to pay the $15.00 per night per adult for those two nights. But remember there is no hotel tax, this is basically it. Then my mom exchanged a week for the timeshare. There was no $15.00 charge then and we had our beds changed everyday and new towels everyday. As Canadians and the dollar, I still did not find it extremely expensive. We went on a glass bottom tour, the dolphin Encounter, my husband went deep sea fishing, all worth it.
We also went to Count Basis Square many nights. The last night before we left, it was a Friday and there was singing by the Ultra Vibes band, which the lady that sings is great, she can sing everything. Then at 9:30 p.m. there was a show with Dancers, the Fire Lady and Limbo Dancers. The limbos dancers were absolutly amazing. We also took in a show Goombaya at the royal oasis hotel which was good as well. We rented a car for a week and my husband found it easy to get use to driving on the left side. We drove out to Dead Man's Reef and went out to the Lucayan National Park. The gold rock beach is amazing. The Condo was clean, and we were never asked to take the timeshare tour, which was fine with us. We found all the people to be quite friendly. We ate at Many different places and only had one not so great encounter. We loved the Cafe Breeze and the pub at Port Lucaya. We ate at Pier One and saw the shark feeding. That was the highlight of the trip for my 3 year old. The water was outstanding. Sorry for it being so long, but I could go on and on. If anyone would like to e-mail any questions, I would love to try and answer them.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Aurora, CO
Reviewed 9 February 2004

We visited the Island Seas Resort the week of Feb 1st, 2004. We exchanged into this resort with our Timeshare, so I believe we were treated just a little bit better than some. But all in all, I found all the staff to be very pleasant, and very helpful. The resort is very beautiful, and has a wonderful beach. We were there of course in off-season, so some things were not really available. For instance the pool was way too cold to get into it. There was the situation that has been mentioned before with the hot tub. You didn't know from one day to the next if it was going to be too cold to get into it, or too hot. I think the staff just wasn't sure on how to regulate the hot tub. The Island Seas Resort is a few miles from town, so the free shuttle that the Resort provides into town is great. If you want to venture anyway else besides Port Lucaya, which we did, take the bus. It only costs $1, (we usually paid more just to be get more from the driver) to go anywhere. And being more friendly and willing to pay just a $1 more to go anywhere, it got us a lot. The Resort is listed as a 5 Star with Interval International, and for the most part I think it makes it.
However, our room was in need of some small repairs. The shower door wouldn't open or close, the faucets were missing the screen so the water went everywhere else but in the sink when you turned it on. The kitchen utensils were in need of replacement. The dishwasher was broke.
The bedroom TV didn't work. We decided to take the timeshare presentation (hey we got a free bottle of rum and a free breakfast for it, and besides it was raining and we weren't going anywhere). When we mentioned our concerns of the room needing some repairs, what guarantees did we have that all the rooms would be left to be the same way? They tried to tell us that we just happened to get 'one bad apple'. But when we said we had talked to others with major problems, they could only stop talking to us and show us the door. But they sent a maintenance worker out right away to fix everything. I have been to a lot of 5 Star Resorts, and this place is up there, but they just need to do some upkeep to the rooms that they put potential buyers in. It makes a big difference. As for the prices of food. We have been many places, and we didn't feel that they were outrageous for the location.
We shopped at the grocery store, and ate out at restaurants too. The food in the restaurants was very large portions. We don't like stuffing ourselves, so we would ask to share a meal. We did not encounter any restaurant not willing to do this for us or charge us more to share (unlike some restaurants in the U.S.). So if you have a tendency to not be able to finish a meal, try this. It does cut the bill in half. Oh and while we were there, we had a major power outage in 3 of their buildings. A maintenance worker ran into the power source. The power was out for 13 hours. But the crew from the power company was there until they got power restored. That wasn't until midnight. The Resort tried to make things better by of course handing out more candles, but they also gave everyone in the 3 buildings $20 credit per person. We were able to have 4 drinks on that and dinner at the restaurant. To conclude, we enjoyed ourselves, and if we make another trip to the Bahamas, we will keep this place in mind.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 February 2004

We stayed at the Island Seas Resort from the 31st of January through February 5th. We had a 2- bedroom condo--brand new, clean and well furnished--for about $150 (all taxes included) per nite. We had a lovely canal view.

The beach was unbelievably beautiful. White, powdery sand, shallow, clear, pristine water. It was great. We snorkeled near the point, snoozed in the shade and had a great happy hour each evening. Wonderful drinks at half price! Maxwell at the bar makes great drinks. The Coconuts restaurant was so-so, we did a lot of cooking in the condo.

Don't miss Zonk the Conch man down the beach. His conch salad is wonderful and priced well. It took two of us two meals to polish it off--large portions. He does Conch 11 ways--and fish as well. It's so worth the one minute walk down the beach.

We didn't do much--just truly relaxed. We found our unit quiet, secluded and wonderful. the housekeeping staff is wonderful--efficient, cheery and just downright accommodating. We never went into town, never left the property--we had plenty to do there.

People on the resort's beach selling beads and braiding got on our nerves. They became pushier each day and their constant sales pitches to everyone who walked by were irritating. They even acosted us when we got out of the water. But, annoying as they were, we didn't let that interfere with our time there.

We didn't attend the time share presentation but people who did felt it was too high pressure and even found the sales reps rude.

We met some nice people and found everyone was having a pretty good time. We were the only Californians there (or so it seemed) and most of the people were from the Easten half of the US. I know it's farther than most Californians want to go, but the place was spectacular.

We'd go back in a heartbeat. Great resort, nice people, lots of lazing around to be had for us weary travelers.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank Wootie
Reviewed 31 January 2004

Room was great.,view was exceptional. But, add $30 per person per day charge just for staying there. $ 10 dollars per taxi ride to go anywhere (not near anything) so we spent about $40 dollars a day in taxi fair ,free shuttle bus is a joke.

Do not sign up for time-share free breakfast ...high pressure to get you to buy.

Port Luycaya is the "bomb"an the Sherton is across the street. Also gambling is at Sherton. Would of been just as beautiful and saved us money if we stayed at Sherton.

3  Thank pachine58
Pierceville, Kansas
Reviewed 29 January 2004

We recently spent a relaxing week at the Island Seas Resort with our best buds! The four of us had a wonderful time and we are already planning a return trip. The water and beach at the resort is just incredible. It was wonderful to walk the short distance to the beach and lay in the sun or play in the water. We found the beach very clean and inviting. We found the "locals" to be very friendly and accomodating. Yes, they approach you to buy their goods and such but are very pleasant if you say no. Hey, they have to make a living too!
The resort staff was all very friendly and eager to assist in any way.
The only complaint I had is that I left seven post cards with them and paid for postage (50 some cents each) and apparently they never mailed them as promised as no one has received them yet and it has been almost three weeks. Oh well, live and learn; next time I will find a mailbox and mail them myself. Groceries were somewhat expensive but not as bad as we had expected. Food at the restaurants we visited was only good at best, certainly not great. But we ate most of our meals in the condo and the rest of the vacation made up for the so-so food. I'd recommend using the locals for fishing, snorkeling and such and not waste your money with the tour companies. All in all we would highly recommend the Island Seas and we will make a return trip ourselves soon. Thanks.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Napoleon. ND
Reviewed 19 January 2004

I had just returned home from a week vacation at the Bahamas with my husband and another couple. I would like to share some information that I have found out while I was there, well first off we stayed at the Island Seas Resort, we had a two bedroom, two bath and a kitchen and living area, which I thought was pretty nice. Also we had no problem with the staff at the resort while we were there. The restaraunt located there (Coconuts) was a bit pricey on food and drinks, although they do have a happy hour where we got our drinks for $3.12, which were regularly $6.00 and some cents. Plus the gratituaty tax 15%. Along the beach there was Zonk the Conch man where you could also get your drinks cheaper there anytime day or evening, he only has Bahama Mama's and Kalik though. They have a bus that is free of charge that would only go to Port Lucaya, we got on that then when we got there we would take a public bus for $1.00 per person, so that was better that paying a expensive taxi to go anywhere, which we found out while getting to our resort we took a taxi. We did go to a presentation on Moday, but I though it was well worth it because we got breakfast a couple of tee-shirts and we got some discount coupons to go on any tour we picked off a sheet. We went kayaking, snorkeling and went on a booze cruise for very reasonable prices. Also Checked out Port Lucaya and the International Bazaar. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to try and answer them.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Onaga, Kansas
Reviewed 18 January 2004

My husband and our best friends had never been to the Bahamas so they left it up to me to make all the arrangements. The Island Seas was the only resort available to trade in to when we wanted to go so I booked it before doing any research. After reading some of the posts on this site I thought "OH NO, if any of this is true I will never hear the end of it" So, I held my breath and we departed Kansas, City on 1/10/04 for our long anticipated relaxing vacation. As soon as we arrived we took a taxi to the resort and yes it is kind of expensive at $25.00 + tip for 4 adults but it has been just as expensive anywhere else we have vacationed. We were greeted at the front door by a very nice young gentleman who unloaded our bags from the taxi as we went inside where I had already warned them all that check in was not until 4PM and it was only 1pm so we would probably have to wait for our room. NOT SO. We were checked in within 30 min. which included the spill about the time share presentation. We thanked her and told her we were not interested and she said" that's fine but if you change your mind just let us know.
We were not hasseled every time we walked through the lobby or on the streets of Freeport like we were in Cabo San Lucas. We got settled in our room and took off for the beautiful beach where we were assisted by the very polite staff. Yes, they work for tips but any resort you go to they do. That's to be expected. We went to the grocery store, shopped at both marketplaces, went to the casino, went on some tours, ate in the restaurant at the resort and some in town and not once did we have anyone be rude to us. In fact it was the opposite. Everyone including the taxi drivers asked if we were having a good time and answered any questions we had. It is true that they are a laid back society, it's not their problem that most of the people visiting their world are always in a hurry. The only thing I will add is that we didn't like the venders at the straw markets being pushy, but we had the option to shop in the marketplace stores where the prices were about the same and they don't hassle you for your business. It still was not as bad as some other places we have vacationed at. The maid was wonderful to us too.
Sorry this was so long but I felt I needed to post this so anyone having doubt's maybe this will help. P.S. Yes, Zonk the Conch man has wonderful food. And before booking any fishing or snorkling talk to Bruce at Zonk's, he can fix you up at half the price and we had more fun with the locals that he arranged than any of the "companies"

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member