“Awesome Trip, nice hotel”
Review of Island Seas Resort

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Awesome Trip, nice hotel”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We just got back from Freeport after staying at Island Seas for a week. We had a two bedroom, 2 bath room. Our room was on the pool side of the hotel and I could tell it was recently redone. One day we walked in and they had installed a new dishwasher! It was clean, quiet, and comfortable and the beach was beautiful! I was really nervous reading all the reviews before I went but was pleasantly surprised when I got there. This hotel is not a grand, luxurious resort. If that is what you are looking for I would stay somewhere else. This hotel is a comfortable and clean place to relax on a really great beach. They are also doing a lot of work to the hotel (like others have mentioned, they are adding a coffee shop and redoing the gym) so that will be nice. The grounds are well kept and I always felt very safe.

Though overall the hotel was good, there are a few things that could have been improved. The service at the hotel is not great. If you need bedding, towels or toilet paper, be ready to call down multiple times to get it. (except shout out to Speedy, as her name implies, she is ON IT and was great!) Also, FYI, they have rollaway beds. Long story, but we finally got one after a struggle so I thought I would share.

The other thing that was not great at the hotel was the food. We all packed breakfasts and snacks in our luggage which was so good! Everything is expensive there so having oatmeal, pop tarts, granola bars, etc. was a very good thing for the mornings. We also packed like fruit snacks, pringles, etc. I would even pack more next time! There is a little general store type place on the property that sells like milk, water, and food items so that is nice. Just everything is expensive.

Some of our favorite things we did while there was Pat and Diane's snorkel and private beach excursion (it was amazing!) We also went through them and they hooked us up with a man named Erwin who is a cab driver on a Gold Rock Beach/Banana Bay tour/day. It was also incredible and Erwin became our go-to taxi guy. He is so nice and knows a ton about the island! I would def recommend his taxi services! We also went to the Wednesday night fish fry and it was a lot of fun! Dinner at Pier One is the final thing I would recommend. They feed sharks and you can watch the sunset! If you are brave enough to drive on the other side of the road I would rent a car. Taxis are crazy expensive. We will do that next time. The hotel is not close to many things so be prepared to take quite a few cab rides which add up even for short distances.

Hopefully this helps someone out there! We had a great time and I will definitely will return to Freeport! They have the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen and the people there were great. Bahama time is a real thing. People move at their own pace so just relax and go with the flow! Have fun!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank kgall2014
Reviewer_Island_Seas, Guest Relations Manager at Island Seas Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
We’re so glad to hear you had a great time at Island Seas! Sounds like you had a great mix of adventure and relaxation, which is what Freeport is all about. It appears you've discovered some of the great restaurants and activities on the island as well as the activities around Island Seas. We are constantly improving our resort, and we hope you come back and see the finished amenities!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 April 2014

After reading the reviews I was hesitant about staying here. I went there with an open mind and warned my family this is not a Marriott.
We did not originally get the room we requested but we able to change with little difficulty The room was comfortable, clean and decor was fine.We were on the pool side and it was very quiet. The beds were comfy and we slept well, but the bottom fitted sheets kept sliding off. The elastic was worn out. Then vent for the stove, vented right back into our room. Was worried about the smoke detector going off but we discovered they didn't work. The rooms were minimally stocked and items were not where you think you would find them. Had to do a little searching for hair dryer etc. No paper towels or coffee is stocked so make sure you bring your own. We we able to get extra towels and more toilet paper with no problem. We enjoyed the movie channels at night on the TV.
The grounds were pretty and well maintained. Pool was cold but the kids didn't mind. Shuffle board and horse shoes were available and were played many times. A swing set is also available. There was security guards walking around and we never felt unsafe having our 3 children with us.
The beach was incredible! The best part of the resort. We snorkeled and fed the fish there daily. Saw many times of fish, rays and sand dollars. Some beach venders but they weren't to pushy. Beware that my husband was offered pot every day on the beach by some of the venders and I did see them smoking it as they walked by.
We attended the sales presentation, as most do, for the free gifts. Free Wifi, rum and credit voucher for the resort. Our sales person was Jennifer. I believe her last name begins with an I?
She has blonde hair and a scar on her left ear. We made it clear why we were attending the presentation. We told them we already had 3 weeks of timeshare and was not interested in buying more. After having a nice breakfast with Jennifer, talking about our families and interests and the sales presentation was over. We said no to purchasing at this property. Jennifer walked us to the gift kiosk out front and then said can I ask you a personal question. I said sure. She said I wanted to clear something up for me and my co workers. We want to know if you are RACISTS!? My husband and I was so stunned, I was only able to say, No. far from it. Jennifer just walked away. I was so shocked I couldn't believe it. Once the shock worn off, I became very angry. WE have never been so insulted ever. We may be many things but Racists is not one of them. My husband and I both have public service careers and have friends, co workers and neighbors of every race, religion and creed. All the other employees at this resort were friendly and usually helpful. We will NEVER go back to this resort because of Jennifer and her comment. It really upset us for a few days. We really loved Freeport but will stay somewhere else next time. Had we have not met her, we would have come back again.

The food was great. Definitely eat at Bernie's and Michelle's. They are right on the beach on each side of the resort. Coconuts was good and fairly reasonable. We took the shuttle into Port Lucaya many times to shop, eat and bring home pizza. Definitely go to the grocery store and stock up.

So if you decide to go, avoid the sales presentation. It was not worth the free Wifi that had horrible connection and the insult.

Room Tip: Request ocean view or ocean front on an upper floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank MariaTR123
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, Maria. First of all, we apologize for the horrible way you were treated by Jennifer. At Island Seas, this kind of behavior is unacceptable and you have every right to decline the offer without being insulted. Please accept our honest apology for this incident and we hope you believe us when we say this will not happen again. Otherwise, it seems like you had a nice time at the resort here, and we’re glad you enjoyed the beach lifestyle and sitting poolside. It sounds like there was plenty for the kids to do, and we’re glad our top-notch security team makes the resort a family-friendly atmosphere. We hope you can forgive us for this incident and return for another beautiful Caribbean vacation.
London
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We are picky, do not like hassle, enjoy good service, times, people and properties.
After reading reviews and arriving at the Island Seas property we chose to stay on the Marina side, absolutely loved the quiet, calm atmosphere. The ease of walking 2 minutes to the beach, to the Coconuts bar or Restaurant was great. We will always stay on the Marina side in the open one bedroom suite. The landscaping, calm marina, great people and slow pace all have us hooked to the Freeport 'chill' lifestyle. There is no comparison and when you go check out the Garden of Groves, Brewery Tour, Port Lucaya shops and bars & make sure to visit Gold Rock Beach it is absolutely phenomenal!

• Stayed April 2014
6 Thank MMKM3537
Thanks for taking the time to share your positive experience! We’re glad you had a great time and enjoyed all the Island Seas amenities. It seems like you’ve embraced the Freeport lifestyle and we’re sure we’ll see you soon!
Poulsbo, Washington
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My very first interaction at the resort was with Timmy. I arrived early and asked about the request I made weeks before my trip to stay across the street was granted. I am a very private person and also would want families with children to stay in the units by the pool. He actually rolled his eyes at me and snickered while saying "I won't help you until you talk with the hospitality desk." I checked in with hospitality and when complete I went back to the reception desk and again asked about the request. Timmy started laughing and said he couldn't tell me anything until 4:00 PM (it was about 1:30) when I asked.

Finally when I got to my first room at 4:00 (which faced the pool, not private) the air conditioning unit in the living area was spitting out warm air and the one in the bedroom sounded like a diesel engine. When I went to ask for a different room, I was told I had to wait until maintenance swapped out the a/c in the first unit. Again, I asked if I could just get a room across the street and was told none were available. This is when I was given the opportunity to look at a second unit, this one was even closer to the pool area.

I rejected this unit and miraculously a unit across the street became available. When we got there, it was a two bedroom unit. At first I thought I had received a good deal until I started looking around. The unit had been supposedly been refurbished. With this said, the sliding glass doors were hard to open and didn't have locks that worked, although a dowel which was about 5 inches too short was provided for security and safety. The closet doors, when opened fell off the tracks and swung in the breeze. One of the showers could not be used because the rod to pull up and switch from faucet to showerhead was rusted and would not move.

We only stayed there one night of the seven reserved. Instead I took a loss on this resort and I booked a room at The Grand Lucayan. There was only about a 600 dollar difference between the price of both and I will never again stay at The Island Seas, or recommend it to anyone.

I should have went with my gut feeling about the price. In this case you get less than what you payed for.

Not everything at this resort was bad. Peggie in housekeeping and Debbie in guest relations did everything in their power to accommodate me. Unfortunately the resort was not suited to my simple needs.

Room Tip: Avoid Island Seas and pay a little more to stay in Port Lucaya at the Grand Lucayan.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 037_037
We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered in your brief time at our resort. This incident is not representative of how this resort operates, and our guests generally find our front desk staff helpful and accommodating. Once again, we apologize for the bad service you may have encountered and hope the rest of your vacation was enjoyable.

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My daughter, grandson, granddaughter and I spent 3 days, 2 nights. We could not get my granddaughter out of the pool! The accommodations were clean, large and more like an apt. There is a shuttle to take you to most places you want on the island. Many excursions to choose from. Very pleasant folks. Beautiful beach. Good food at the restaurant and pool side bar. I'm not a partier and would suppose if you want that, you'd better go to Nassau. There is a marina across the street, a small gift/food store, massage spa, upcoming water slides. Continuing to build many amenities. I loved it and will come back again and again.

Room Tip: They will try to set up an appt with you to learn about their timeshare program. If you don't w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
It sounds like the whole family had a great time at Island Seas! We’re glad everyone enjoyed hanging poolside and adventuring on the island. It’s true that Island Seas is not known as a party hot spot; we offer a relaxing island getaway. Thanks for sharing your positive experience and bring your grandchildren back to experience all the fun of our wonderful island!
fleming island,fl
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had stayed at the Island Seas last year as guests. It was ok so when they invited us to return we accepted. Things had changed. The private beach is still beautiful, but you must deal with locals walking up to your lounge chair and offering pot. They also try to sell you the coconuts they just chopped out of the trees on the property. Security on the beach is a joke. They watch this happen. Internet was 80.00 per week per computer! No free WIFI anywhere on the property, last year WIFI was available at The Coconuts Restaurant. You almost had to beg for dish soap and linens Never did get a dishcloth. The mattress was horrible and well beyond the need for replacement. You rolled to the center, we flipped the mattress did not make a difference. There was only 4 large glasses for a condo that sleeps 6, 6 juice glasses and 6 shot glasses. Even if you washed your glass each time there were still not enough. It was the same with silverware not enough. We are RCI members and were very disappointed in this facility. We will not return. watch your children on the beach as the locals will approach them. Especially your teens.

Room Tip: Check out the bed before accepting the room. The best nights sleep we got was on the sail over.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ddgoldwing
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Island Seas. We’re sorry about the inconveniences that you experienced your second time staying with us. We are in the process of renovating rooms at the resort and most have been fitted with all new appliances. Steps have been taken with security on the beach and we will continue to control our unwanted visitors. We hope you can bring the children back to experience the exciting waterpark that recently opened near our resort and stay in a renovated room.
Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom suite with kitchen and two bathrooms, very comfortable.
The only thing was that the bed frames were very squeaky and we had to take down one of them and put the box spring and mattress on the floor to sleep in piece and quiet.
We had the room at the marina side, which was rather quiet when the dogs finally shut up at night.
The beach is very nice and the pool area is good too, but very shallow.
We would have enjoyed a room near the ocean but this is for owners only, what a pity.
The internet is not free they charge 69.00 US a week for it!!!
Incredible!!!
The staff is nice and helpful.
There are plenty of lawn chairs and towels.

Room Tip: When you walk along the beach toward the right hand side, facing the ocean, you will get to a walk w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewer_Island_Seas, Public Relations Manager at Island Seas Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for your recent visit. We are glad you enjoyed your large room. We do accommodate room switches when we have openings, but no Oceanside rooms must have been available. Did you notify our Maintenance Department about your squeaky bed? You should not need to modify your bed on vacation! We are happy that you found our beach and pool area nice and that our staff was kind and helpful. Please come back and visit us!