“Great Beach Site!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
“Great Beach Site!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2004

This was a great beach site. The location of this hotel is not too near town, but what do you expect if you want to stay right on the beach? (they have shuttles that will take you into town, but we rented a car and that was great!) We had to stay at a room across the street, but its great to get excercise and our room was new and huge! The staff doesn't kiss your butt like people would expect but you have to realize that this is their culture, and that's the way they work things in their country. If you actually have a conversation with the natives, you realize they are great people. You can't expect other people to make your vacation fun for you, its all in the way you approach it. We really liked this hotel because it was on a beautiful, secluded beach, and the little petty things that everyone else found wrong with it didn't matter to us!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2004

No place to eat except one outside bar.
The rooms are okay
The location is terrible so you will eat at the bar or go for a long ride
The beach is nice
The cab driver, Mitch was the highlight of my trip, he could not have been anymore accomidating.

This being said. I enjoyed my stay but it could have been a lot better if I stayed at one of the major hotels there. The Wyndham (Westin-?) is the place to stay, hands down.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Saline, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2004

After reading the reviews over the last few months, it was with a bit of trepidation that we went to the resort (II exchange). Overall, it was much better than a lot of people had indicated, but the resort has some problems and before they are resolved, I would not recommend it enthusiastically. We were given a condo accross the street with no view other than the parking lot and trash in the back, and were told that thru the hurricane damage a lot of the ocean/beachside units have to be renovated.(There is renovation going on, but we did not see much concerning the suites) The beach, while nice, is not as clean as one would expect. In the week we were there (23-30 October) it was never raked and only once did I see a guy picking up trash. There is not enough shade provided on the beach, and one has to huddle in a group under the two umbrellas which is not my way of enjoying a leisure day on the beach. The pool, while lovely, has no shade whatsoever and no umbrellas are provided. This is not acceptable. The restaurant is fair, but lacks ambiance. It basically is a beach bar and never changes to reflect otherwise, even in the evening. The food is okay, but the menu is to limited.
The shuttle bus to the Lucaya Market Place is a nice touch and is well used. Every Monday there is a bus provided to shop at Winn Dixie. I previously read that some people thought it was very expensive, but I found the prices reasonable and some of the store brands made shopping even cheaper than in Michigan. Overall, the staff was very nice and polite, may be not gushingly friendly, but very adequate and helpful. Maid service was provided daily and we never lacked towels or anything else.
Overall, I can say that it was a nice vacation and once the resort, which is still under construction and expansion (i.e a gourmet restaurant is planned) has ironed out some of the problems mentioned above, it could be wonderful. The water is absolutely gorgeous!
PS: For any scuba divers who read this, Sun Odyssee divers is close by and provides free pick up at the resort. We can highly recommend the small and intimate operation.

2 Thank Beachlover888
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2004

this resort was awesome! i loved the waterfall in the pool and how you could sit in the water at the bar and eat and drink!!! it was awesome! the beach is very clean and the rooms are very nice! we called for towels one time and they were there with 5 more than we asked for! i espescially liked my ocean view from the ground! it was unbeleivable! its what a vacation should be like!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2004

Very impressed with service, staff and amenities. Rooms were also very nice. A tip for travelers, don't eat at the resort restaurant; a little bit down the beach you will find a little beach-side place that sells conch for dinner ~ delicious! Another tip is to head into Port Lucaya for some local fare. A great place to visit!

• Stayed September 2003
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2004

Well, after reading most of the reviews, I almost cancelled my reservations and changed resorts, but for some unknown reason I decided to keep what I had. We were in the Bahamas from August 25th until the hurricane.

Much to my surprise, we had landed at 12:00 noon and although I knew check in time is 4:00PM we decided to try. Our room was all ready and we were checked in. Cynthia was very helpful and friendly as well as the majority of the staff. I also followed the suggestions of many of the people who wrote previous reviews such as leave a tip everyday for housekeeping and keep things secured. We never had any problems at all that week. Everything went wonderfully smooth.
Our room was cleaned everyday and we had more than enough towels.

We did go to Coconuts and found the food prices to be reasonable (compared to Applebees and Houlihans) Hamburgers were $8.00 , spare ribs with a salad and 2 sides were around $14.00 Not unreasonable. Service was rather quick and the servers were very pleasant and accomodating.

Drinks were around $6.00 but then again that is what they were for the most part anywhere we went.

We booked trips and activities through the conceirge, I wish I remembered her name but she was so helpful and friendly.

We really had an excellent time at the resort. Even with the news of the hurricane the staff did everything they could to help people make travel arrangements to get out of the area. They were under pressure and maintained a very Profesional Attitude.

A problem that was encountered , was at the Winn Dixie in Lucaya. We bought a gallon of milk which turned out to be completely sour. $6.00 down the drain. So if you buy things make sure you are very careful. Also the store is a bit dirty. Eggs were cracked and yolks were over other cartons and stuff too where we didn't buy any eggs.

We did bring a lot of our own food with us which was extremely helpful.

We rented a car from KSR Rentals. They had very reasonable prices and were really friendly and accomodating. They have a booth now at the airport. I strongly suggest you rent from them.

We also did the "Swimming with the Dolphin" experience at Unexso. Although a bit pricey it was worth every dollar and then some. it is definetly an experience you must try. You could always make more money, but the experience is really great!!!! They also take photos and sell them for like $37.00 for four photos. They also have prices for two and single photo packages. You can also bring a camera with you, however they will not let you take it in the water so you just have someone who is waiting take your photos for you and then return the favor for them . Next time we are going to try the ultimate experience.

We also went on the Kayak/ Snorkeling trip to Peterson Cay. An excellent adventure for any nature lover. I strongly recommend that trip!!! You learn alot about marine life.

We also went snorkeling at Paradise Cove which was also good.

Then I also took a snorkel adventure which they had at the resort ot Angel reef, which turned out to be really wonderful. I do suggest that if you do go snorkeling invest in an underwater camera. you will be glad you did!!!!

I found the Bahamas people in general to be a bit less friendly than what I thought they would be. Kind of reminded me of home. (LOL).

Overall we had an excellent time, better than what I had expected. I had expected the worse since we are not time share owners, or members. But it was really a great experience. Then again if you are not into the beaches and watersports, I think your experience will be dramatically different and you might be very disappointed.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2004

I really didn't believe that there wouldn't be any customer service or that you could book a room, have a conformation number and your rooms still get screwed up. I thought when we arrived our rooms would be ready, instead we waited hours and hours while our luggage sat in a room. There didn't appear to be any order or organization. Workers were running around here or there apparently doing nothing to help you or your situation. Any how we landed at noon and at 5:00 we were still not in our rooms. We were hungry and tired and hot. Our room smelt awful. The whole week. I often wondered if they moped with the water out of the toilet. Coconuts- One morning I walked down to get a cup of coffee, I stood a the counter and waited for the cashier to count out her drawer before I got the "Can I help you" LOOK. The food was not great. Talking with other guests I found out that there was not very many people enjoying their stay. I did like going to the beach, but will not return to Freeport or Island Seas ever again.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member