“Much better than I expected.”
Review of Island Seas Resort

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
MA
“Much better than I expected.”
Reviewed 27 March 2010

After reading the reviews about Island Seas, I had some reservations about going there, but it was available and I really needed some down time alone to renew. When I arrived in Freeport, I took my rental car out to a previously discovered beach to spend a few hours until check-in. I arrived at check-in 1/2 hour after it opened, was greeted pleasantly and efficiently, got through the process and was informed that my room was not ready. Instead of getting angry and frustrated, I reminded myself that I was there to relax, so went out to Coconuts got a drink and some conch fritters and called my wife to let her know I had arrived. About 1/2 hour later went back to the main desk and was shown to my room. The 1 bedroom unit was clean, neat and quiet. The maid service did an excellent job of daily cleaning and freshening. I found the whole staff to be helpful and polite, although most were very reserved. All in all a vacation that exceeded my expectations and satisfied all my needs.

I do think that most people from the USA need to be aware that things move a little slower in the carribean and need to learn to cherish that and slow down themselves and relax, after all they're on vacation!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Stanhy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
MYSTIC
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Second time I have stayed here and found it to be a great hotel especially for the price. It is quiet and a little out of the way. However, the hotel provides a free shuttle every hour to Port Lucaya where there are many shops and restaurants. Nice beach, pool, and hot tub. We were able to eat breakfast and lunch in our room. We avoided the restaurant except for burgers and fries as it is pricey and lacks atmosphere. This is not a hotel for the person who likes lots of night life and activities. Bar scene shuts down at 9:00 p.m. Activities for children include shuffle board, tennis, basketball, and horseshoes.Great family place. Quiet, restful spot with roomy rooms. Pleasant staff. We had no problems.

Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank ConnecticutSunlover
NH
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I usually check the reviews on the places I intend to visit but sometimes I have found that a bad rating was not the experience I had..On this occasion, I should have listened to the terrible reviews this place has been getting.
Where to start?? The registration process is a study in confusion and ineffiency..A 4PM check resulted in a room assigned to us at 6:30..We were in a small room with about 20 other folks who were all waiting for their room assignment...Some of us had gone to registration first, some to hospitality, some to customer service...There was no rhyme or reason to it...I asked for an ocean-front room and was told (with not even a second to consider it on the part of the staff member) that ocean front rooms were "saved for the owners"..We found out that there were quite a lot of empty ocean-front rooms later...They just did not want to bother...
Now the room...FILTHY is the best description..If you walked barefoot or in socks your feet/socks were black in a few minutes. The bathtub had no way to plug up the drain, the
showerhead was so corroded it was plugged up..There was no lid on the commode and getting a towel was an exercise in patience...I actually hid the towels as they would take them and not replace them...And the towels were so old they were grey.
The kitchen----toaster was broken, the coffeepot was in pieces--three out of four burners were so warped they could not be used..the kitchen towel (all of one) was so old and grey a normal operson would have thrown it out a long time ago..
They ask you to do this complicated inventory of what is in the unit and check it off a list...they expect you to count spoons, cups, you get the picture and then tell them what is missing..I fail to see the purpose of this as they do not replace any missing items..
The restaurants---the first evening I went to the Seagrape, was seated and then ignored..After twenty minutes of listening to my waitress arguing with the boss about her days assigned and how it "WAS NOT FAIR", I left..I don't think anyone noticed as they were all around the desk either arguing or listening in (about 5 of them).
A suggestion if you are unlucky enough to find yourself there...bring food as it is a very expensive place to eat out ..Bring towels for yourself and for the kitchen..
This place needs a serious refurbishing...they should have a professional come in to clean the floors as they are so dirty that there are black marks about 2 inches away from any wall...The floors are washed with a dirty mop with no good result..The stairs going to the units are also filthy and for two nights there was blood on the stairwell which was still there when we left..
Stay away from this horrible place...!!!!

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank NhReebajo

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Warren, NJ
Reviewed 18 March 2010

this hotel looked fun and entertaining online but it is far from anywhere else. it is in the middle of the Bahamian houses. Port Lucaya, the best and only hot spot for shopping, restaurants, casinos and boats, is a long drive away. The staff is pushy towards women and people try selling you things on the beach taking away from the relaxing atmosphere. This place was just so boring!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Michigan
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We went with another couple (ages 48-53) from March 6-13. We stayed in a 2-bedroom first floor behind the Seagrape Restaurant. Condo was very nice and clean, towels were small and very thin, took 2 days to get a coffee maker (bring your own filters and coffee). The restaurant was over priced ($53 for breakfast for 4 w/small portions). We took advantage of the shuttle to the grocery store on Monday, prices are high - but cheaper than paying the $7 for a hotdog on the beach. Good luck getting beach towels, kept telling us another 1/2 hour, and it took about 3 hours. A lot of college spring breakers, which kept the beach hopping, otherwise it would have been dull. Drinks are pricey, we bought alcohol at the duty free in the airport, and would make our own drinks to take to beach/pool. Nothing to do there in the evening. We slept in the back bedroom, which was very noisy, we could hear the breakers coming back from the bars at 2:00a.m. We did take the "Booze Cruise" one night, left the port late so never saw the sunset. Walked the beach to Bikini Bottoms Bar for dinner Sunday night, not impressed - walk down a little further to the $2 Bar twice, any drink for $2, Sands beer 2/$5, they serve a great burger or 1/4 bbq chicken w/fries for $5 (west of resort) and the locals treat you great. For great Bahama Mamas walk the beach to the east to a little shack, the owner's name is Spider), also serve food. Spent one day in Port Lucaya, not impressed, it's a tourist trap for the cruise ships. Resort staff was very friendly and accomodating, you just have to remember that a Bahamian minute = an American 1/2 hour. This is not a top notch resort, but you are not paying top dollar either. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank loves2tan
Carmel,California
Reviewed 13 March 2010

We arrived on 2/20 at night. The cab fare from the airport was $22 (there was a chart on cab fees posted). We got a room across the street on the 3rd floor. There is no elevator (OK for us, not OK if you have problems). The room was pleasant, large, back porch facing a nice waterway. Had to call for missing items; took about 1 1/2 hrs. Not good: mattress and pillows were BAD as were the livingroom cushins, water heater in bedroom closet was loud so we switched it off every night, tile floors were dirty ( maid would sweep, not wet mop), towels have seen better days, swimming pool was cold, fee for beach towels. It was cold so we didnt use the beach but it was very pretty. It was nice to have a shuttle to the Lucaya Market Place. We used the bus system a lot but never did figure it out ($1.25 per trip, $2 from Lucaya to hotel). There was no charge for using the laundry room but bring your own detergent (and coffee, by the way, for the room!). We had the option of listening to the 90 minute timeshare schpeil & elected to take it so we could get big discounts on several activities (took 3 hours). Were able to rent a car across the street at Island Rental for $50 for 24 hours. Do it, it was great and easy to drive on the left. We ate at the restaurant one time for dinner. The conch (first time) was good and the server was very nice. On Friday night, I called the front desk to find out if there was live music at the bar. They said no. Came down later to use WiFi, live band was just packing up!! I guess I would recommend it with several warnings. But as I always say, a bad day (because of the cold, wet, thunder/lighting storms) in the Bahamas is better than a good day at work :)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 12 March 2010

We booked this trip through Great Times Vacation as part of a package. My advice first is not to book through Great Time Vacations. They tell you only part information. The overall atmosphere of the Bahamas is very relaxed. Check in was 4pm, we arrived early and the hotel kept our bags while we enjoyed the resort. We went back app. 4:30 no room was ready yet. We paid extra for an upgrade to an ocean front one bedroom condo, (I confirmed before we left the states), through the travel agency, only to be told by the resort that those rooms were only for time share owners, we were given a room that was under construction, no locks on the doors, no bedding on the bed, and the toilet wasn't set. So we walked all the way back to the main lobby, waited in line another 45 minutes, only to be told they had no room for us. Finally about 7pm we were given a room facing a cement wall, not what I assumed I had requested and paid for, but management wouldn't give us any of the ocean front rooms, that were not occupied and were not occupied all week by the way. At this resort they automatically add a 15% gratuity on everything, regardless of the service which is slow at best. This resort also does not have a shuttle service to and from the ports or airport. You have to get a taxi and it is $50.00 each way. We did not have towels until the following morning and actually had to get them from the maid while she was cleaning a different room. Beach towels were never available either. The other thing is that tourists pay a $15.00 per night per person tax. Surprise at checkout!! Overall it is a beautiful view from the beach. I don't blame the resort for its policy, just the travel agency for miscommunication and only giving a partial overview of costs. One last thing is the mandatory tour we had to take according to the resort, so we did and it was the worst ever. Our tour "guide" was hostile, beligerent and just down right rude when we weren't interested in buying a time share, we contacted management and were told "well we are in the business to sell ownership, he's just doing his job."

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple