“Better than I thought based on reviews”
Review of Island Seas Resort

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Georgia
“Better than I thought based on reviews”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Well, this resort was actually better than I thought it would be based on everyone else's reviews. I have to say that I was a little skeptical at first, but I am glad that I decided to try it for myself because I have learned that everyone's experience is different! We arrived on April 1, 2010 and checkin was a little hectic, but nothing to the extreme. The staff was actually very nice and friendly because I requested a room on the 1st floor considering that I had elderly people in my party and to my surprise they granted my request!! I had to wait about 2 hrs but that's ok because they were doing me a favor. While they were trying to get us another room, we just strolled the beach a little and enjoyed the scenery. We had a 2 bedroom condo and it was nice. Not a 5 star, but definitely worth the money we paid for it. The first night we had to call for towels, but they brought them within the hour and we had no more problems for the duration of our stay. The food is expensive there, so we went to the City Market and bought groceries and although the prices were steeper than in the U.S., it still beat eating out every night. We spent 145 dollars and bought enough food for 6 people to eat for 4 days/3nights there. As far as the taxi ride, we found a very nice taxidriver that was there at our every beck and call and only charged us between 4 and 5 dollars each way per person. So, we are keeping him for future trips to the Bahamas!! We have his card with all info if we ever need him again. Overall, this trip was amazing and everyone in my party had a wonderful time!!! Hope this helps a little!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Nike0611

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Blackstone, MA
Reviewed 3 April 2010

The day we arrived was a nightmare it seemed like no one knew what they were doing, checking in meant seeing 4 different people in 4 different locations. Getting towels for the room was also a trying experience. It was unbelievable you almost had to give the name of your first born. The floors in the rooms we filthy, our socks we so dirty after walking around I had to bleach them. I had to clean the bathtub toliet before using. There were a few redeeming qualities the beach was nice as long as you did not go to far away from the resort. There were broken bottles and trash on the beach. I found people in Freeport do not respect the environment, they have such a beautiful island but there is trash everywhere. (Kind of like the US) Anyway back to redeeming qualities of the resort, ummm...shuffle board was great, the laundry facility was convenient and Valery at the front desk was awesome. The shuttles were great to go downtown. If you like kayaking go with Grand Bahama Nature Tours, ask for Chad he is absolutely the best.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abashi

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Florida
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We were there on Monday when the tornado passed through, our Room had extensive damage. Our family was out touring the city at the time when we got back to the resort we were notified. The staff helped us back up our stuff and placed us in a different room.
They were so nice to us but the Sales manager he need to be fired he is rude and talks down to the staff like slavery days.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ascharles
New York
Reviewed 29 March 2010

We loved our stay at the Island Seas Resort. Our room was clean. We needed a toaster and we were given 2 very fast. The pool was beautiful and very warm. Our granddaughter loved the beach and the pool. The bar and restaurant on the premises was very nice. The staff was very friendly. The free transportation to Port Lucaya was very nice. There was alot to do there. We like it so much that we bought a timeshare there. Great place to relax.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Douglas1320
MA
Reviewed 27 March 2010

After reading the reviews about Island Seas, I had some reservations about going there, but it was available and I really needed some down time alone to renew. When I arrived in Freeport, I took my rental car out to a previously discovered beach to spend a few hours until check-in. I arrived at check-in 1/2 hour after it opened, was greeted pleasantly and efficiently, got through the process and was informed that my room was not ready. Instead of getting angry and frustrated, I reminded myself that I was there to relax, so went out to Coconuts got a drink and some conch fritters and called my wife to let her know I had arrived. About 1/2 hour later went back to the main desk and was shown to my room. The 1 bedroom unit was clean, neat and quiet. The maid service did an excellent job of daily cleaning and freshening. I found the whole staff to be helpful and polite, although most were very reserved. All in all a vacation that exceeded my expectations and satisfied all my needs.

I do think that most people from the USA need to be aware that things move a little slower in the carribean and need to learn to cherish that and slow down themselves and relax, after all they're on vacation!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Stanhy
MYSTIC
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Second time I have stayed here and found it to be a great hotel especially for the price. It is quiet and a little out of the way. However, the hotel provides a free shuttle every hour to Port Lucaya where there are many shops and restaurants. Nice beach, pool, and hot tub. We were able to eat breakfast and lunch in our room. We avoided the restaurant except for burgers and fries as it is pricey and lacks atmosphere. This is not a hotel for the person who likes lots of night life and activities. Bar scene shuts down at 9:00 p.m. Activities for children include shuffle board, tennis, basketball, and horseshoes.Great family place. Quiet, restful spot with roomy rooms. Pleasant staff. We had no problems.

Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank ConnecticutSunlover
NH
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I usually check the reviews on the places I intend to visit but sometimes I have found that a bad rating was not the experience I had..On this occasion, I should have listened to the terrible reviews this place has been getting.
Where to start?? The registration process is a study in confusion and ineffiency..A 4PM check resulted in a room assigned to us at 6:30..We were in a small room with about 20 other folks who were all waiting for their room assignment...Some of us had gone to registration first, some to hospitality, some to customer service...There was no rhyme or reason to it...I asked for an ocean-front room and was told (with not even a second to consider it on the part of the staff member) that ocean front rooms were "saved for the owners"..We found out that there were quite a lot of empty ocean-front rooms later...They just did not want to bother...
Now the room...FILTHY is the best description..If you walked barefoot or in socks your feet/socks were black in a few minutes. The bathtub had no way to plug up the drain, the
showerhead was so corroded it was plugged up..There was no lid on the commode and getting a towel was an exercise in patience...I actually hid the towels as they would take them and not replace them...And the towels were so old they were grey.
The kitchen----toaster was broken, the coffeepot was in pieces--three out of four burners were so warped they could not be used..the kitchen towel (all of one) was so old and grey a normal operson would have thrown it out a long time ago..
They ask you to do this complicated inventory of what is in the unit and check it off a list...they expect you to count spoons, cups, you get the picture and then tell them what is missing..I fail to see the purpose of this as they do not replace any missing items..
The restaurants---the first evening I went to the Seagrape, was seated and then ignored..After twenty minutes of listening to my waitress arguing with the boss about her days assigned and how it "WAS NOT FAIR", I left..I don't think anyone noticed as they were all around the desk either arguing or listening in (about 5 of them).
A suggestion if you are unlucky enough to find yourself there...bring food as it is a very expensive place to eat out ..Bring towels for yourself and for the kitchen..
This place needs a serious refurbishing...they should have a professional come in to clean the floors as they are so dirty that there are black marks about 2 inches away from any wall...The floors are washed with a dirty mop with no good result..The stairs going to the units are also filthy and for two nights there was blood on the stairwell which was still there when we left..
Stay away from this horrible place...!!!!

• Stayed March 2010