I went with a group of 12 people, we had a total of 6 rooms. The atmosphere is beautiful. Service is terrible, most employees we encountered did not appear to want to have to work. It took on average 2 hours to eat any meal, regardless if there was 2 of us or 12 of us. Be prepared to wait in line, for everything. I expected to experience "island time", but this was beyond ridiculous. You get the feeling that you need to be "on-guard" at all times, nothing is safe.
When we arrived in our room, the air conditioner was not working. They did send someone up quickly to resolve the problem. It never fully cooled down in the room, but it was better than no air and we did not plan to spend much time in the room. Not once was our bed made properly, there are no fitted sheets and apparently our room attendant did not know how to tuck flat sheets in. We discovered the housekeepings room key unlocked the deadbolt. She knocked on our door and before we could answer, she barged in. We had our security bar on and the deadbolt. The only thing keeping her from getting in was the security bar.
My sister had to switch her room 3 times. The first room had no functioning door lock. It appeared to be closed and locked, and by chance she tried to back in her room, forgetting to put her key in, and to surprise, the door opened right up. Her next room was missing the refrigerator, had ants, and there was mold.
The food at the resort was decent, prices were not too bad. Some have complained about the cost of drinks, I found them to be average for a resort. I visited the spa, had the most amazing massage ever. My friend had a male masseuse and said he was venturing into inapporopiate areas and made her uncomfortable.
If you go in with managed expectations and great company, you can have a great vacation. Just like any other tourist area, you must be aware of your safety and property. I had family and friends for company, so we still had a wonderful time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan Bahamas is an elegant resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. This 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Radisson Freeport
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island