“it’s surreal; it’s splendid, it’s beautiful, it’s captivating”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Elkridge, Maryland
“it’s surreal; it’s splendid, it’s beautiful, it’s captivating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

Grand Lucayan: My wife and I returned from Grand Bahamas to the U.S on November 20, 2011; after a 3 night getaway. We stayed at the Grand Lucayan, on the 9th floor, an ocean view, right side, end room with two sided ocean view. This provides you the most spectacular view imaginable, it’s surreal; it’s splendid, it’s beautiful, it’s captivating. The bathroom also has ocean view; the big, huge window allows you to appreciate the beauty and magnificence of the white sand beach, Blue Ocean and the nature that encapsulates it all. It gives enjoying life’s simple pleasures a whole new meaning. The hotel employees were highly professionals, polite, dedicated and devoted, ready to assist and warm. Everything from check in to the elevators, hot water in bathroom, ironing board, TV, FREE WIFI, cleanness of the room, hallway, dining, check out, etc, all was spot-on, in absolute flawless functioning capacity. Our travel agent had red Rose petals on our bed waiting for us, it was romantic and appreciate, the room was big and spacious.
It compares to the great hotels we have stayed in big cities like Toronto, London, Miami, Orlando and DC; it’s remarkable and commendable. There are two infinity pools and two big hot tubs. The one on the right usually has more people but the one at the extreme left end of the hotel rarely has people, on a Saturday, my wife and I spent 2hours in the infinity pool and 25minutes in the hot tub and there were only 4 other people there. About 12 other people were just reading or playing beach volley ball. It was like having a private pool on an airport tarmac. To the contrary there were more people on the right side infinity pool and hot tub, a little walk to the left towards where the GYM or the WAVES bar is located will give you more fun.
Our room was cleaned, each morning, with new towels and new sheets and new shower curtain (and that was new to us, changing shower curtain). Our bottled water was replenished every morning and the cleaners were polite, smiling and greeting as we passed through on our way and out. The hotel is immaculately clean and radiantly pleasing to the eyes. It accentuates the great Radisson hotel management capability since it’s owned and operated by the Radisson Hotel group. The hotel is absolutely kid friendly, even though school was in session in the U.S., we saw many parents come with their children, from the smiles on their faces and the excitement showed, they must have enjoyed the hotel. There is something for everyone, every age group. There was a little glitch though; I requested for a wakeup call at 6am so we would not miss our 9am flight, it never came. Luckily, my wife and I set alarms on our phone so we made our flight. The hotel is expansive; please explore it to fully maximize your time there and the money spent to stay there.
Marketplace: The marketplace is beyond description, it has something for everyone, great danceable music, lovely romantic melody, sweet serenade tunes for honeymooners and nostalgic old music for the senior citizens. The middle of the marketplace is the Count Basie Square, the melting point for all tourists; this is where friends are made on the dance floor, at the bar/pub, at the adjourning restaurants, on the boats by the port or in line to use the bathroom. Different artists/ performers and bands play on different nights which add flavor and variety to the travel experience. We did not eat at any of the hotel restaurants because we love to eat with the locals to have good appreciation of the flavor. The whole essence of travelling is to experience something new, so we ate at multiple restaurants right across the road, less than 5minutes walk. The meals are averagely priced and when we go on vacations, we don’t look at our wallets, we did that already to be able to save and go on vacation, we tend to spoil us, my wife and me. We ate at Zorba’s, Agave, and Mermaid’s Marina Grill. There are many more restaurants but we had time to eat in only 3, we don’t regret any. They were all scrumptious, delectable and well priced meals. Imagine a dinner of bread, salads, coleslaw, tropical drinks, 3.7pound grilled red snapper whole fish for $37 (meal for 2people); not bad I think, we could not finish the it all, we left the coleslaw. Most tropical drinks such as Pina Colada, Hurricane, Bahama mama, kamikaze, painkiller, lava flow, majito and margarita all go for between $6-$8 a glass, they are the best you’ll taste anywhere; worth the price which is comparable to most reputable bars or restaurants, anywhere. There are good gift stores all over the colorful market place, nice souvenirs but my advice is; it’s a small shopping area, look around, compare quality and prices before making a purchase.
Billy Joe’s: If you want a truly authentic local feel and local flavor, visit Billy Joe’s; it’s just 100meters away from the hotel, on the beach. The great music, the friendly people, the luscious and tasty conch salad and the cold drinks served at a very reasonable price is worth it.
Bonfire Beach Party: only for 3hours but worth it. Its $55 per person, and you get free refills of drinks; Kamikaze and Bahama rama. You will also be treated to a buffet of well made St. Louis type spare ribs, corn on curb, Jamaican rice and pea (Bahamian style), grilled chicken, bread and salad. Fun activities such as limbo dance, drinking competition, bonfire dance etc. It was great, made new friends there and lost them the next day after they were sober, they could not remember me. What an experience.
I will surely be back in Grand Lucayan Hotel when next I visit the Bahamas but 1st let’s see what Bermuda feels like in April.

Room Tip: 9th floor. the rooms at the end, perfect view, two sides.
10 Thank Klincher
PublicRelationsGrand, Public Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thank you for your kind review Klintcher. We are delighted to hear that you and your wife had a splendid time. We do hope that you have a great time in Bermuda, but we look forward to welcoming you back soon after that.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,049)
Johnson City, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We just returned from a short stay at the Grand Lucayan in Freeport, Bahamas. The hotel is in immaculate condition, staff genuinely friendly and helpful, professional desk staff, great restaurants serving a variety of food and drinks, the two horizon pools were refreshing, hammocks abound for lounging in the shade, and the floor to ceiling wall-size doors/windows overlooking the ocean or marina really added a sense of being "in" the Caribbean. The Port Lucaya Marketplace right across the street was a fun place to wander. Great local music Friday night and a terrific variety of restaurants and clubs. People of all ages mixing together! Great fun and overall a terrific pace to get away and and get on "island time." Other reviews note a lengthy check-in time. The wi-fi in the hotel is spotty and I wonder if their Internet connection is slow as it appears the clerks spend a lot of time waiting for their computer information to become available. Otherwise they were professional and gracious at check-in. If you want anything specific in relation to your room, make sure you ask before heading out as there is a walk from the check-in Manor House to the building where the rooms are located. In general this is great as the grounds are well laid out and you don't feel like everyone is on top of each other. Lots of room for wandering!

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better views.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank JCTN
PublicRelationsGrand, Public Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Thank you for your review JCTN! We are glad to hear that you had a great time and do hope that you will join us again very soon for a longer visit.
leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

atayed 3 nights .. reception que was 35 minutes .. to check in .. ladies in terrecota colour jackets would not smile !! .. other wise a good hotel .. plenty of landscaping...well placed beach and a decent water sports menu , pool was good.. Rooms are good and view from balcony if facing the sea is exellent -food and drinks are very pricy and suggest to look at alternative outside ..

The so called market place is targetted at tourist and hence highly priced .. hence be well budgetted for around $35 per dish or so for a sit down meal..

the check out staff were pleasent and so were the bell boys and bell captain.. would visit again..

1 Thank vinchy
Thank you for your review Vinchy! Your opinions and feedback is greatly appreciated and shared with our team members daily. Our guests are our number one priority and we use reviews, like your own, to constantly grow and improve. We look forward to having you join us again.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Things didn't start off too great, beginning with check in. Took a cruise to the Bahamas and they bussed us over to the hotel. We figured there would be a slow check in, but even with 5 people behind the counter, check in was as slow as molasses in January. Not good when they stress on the crusie that time if of the essence. We missed opportunities to book activities. If you do experience this, there is snorkeling at 2:30 pm, which had been cancelled due to rough water.

A couple was filling out their forms right in front of me, and after waiting in line for 20 mins I was told I was in the wrong line.

That would have been fine if it were true but the couple was from the same cruise I was on and had been bussed over to the hotel same as me.

So, after waiting in another line for another 30 mins, I finally got my room keys. Not impressed to start but I figured maybe things would pick up and I could just enjoy my vacation.

The rest of the day was fine, the room was spacious, clean and very modern. They even had 2 types of hair dryers in the bathroom for some reason.

That first night, after being on the beach and at the pool, I wanted to shower and enjoy my night, however this hotel made that impossible. I went to shower.. and nothing came out. Not just no hot water, no water whatsoever. The toilet wouldn't work either.

I called to the front desk and they said they was "some work being done" and that "they had no idea when the water would be back on". That was it. No remorse, no apologies, just matter of factly, Just, deal with it, no water. When asked when it would be back on, "not sure".

The next morning, there was a letter typed out and inserted under our door saying that there would be "some interruptions" in our water supply due to maintenance.

Now call me crazy but I was livid that I only had 2 days to be in the Bahamas, and really wanted to go out and have a nice time the previous evening but couldn't due to the fact that I couldn't shower! I had prayed that this wouldn't be the case on my final night.

So after a long day of going out, the shower did work, thank god. When I called down to the front desk to connect me with Irie's (the restaurant connected to the hotel) I was put thru to room service, then bounced back to the front desk. When I reaffirmed my inquest about Irie's, I was told that they were closed. This was at 9pm. Good thing I had stopped in the previous day and noticed their hours were until 10 or 11 and decided to walk over myself and see. They were, in fact, open. Great service there btw and the best conch fritters I had on the entire island.

Also, one word of advice, double check your reservations for activities. I went horseback riding and someone from the hotel had overbooked an extra couple that couldn't join due to the fact that there are only so many horses. The place is about a 10-15 dollar cab ride each way and they had been sent back to the hotel. They were told their money would be refunded but when you have your trip planned to do the most possible, it throws a huge kink in the works, plus they were out for the cab ride too.

If you have a chance, ask where Billy Joe's is. Its a little shack just down the beach that locals go to with great music and a fantastic bahamian vibe. They make excellent conch salad and I loved the grilled conch.

1 Thank Jeremy L
Trenton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

The resort is beautiful and well kept. We loved the spacious room and the layback feeling the property provides. The staff - from Housekeeping to the Front Desk- were very polite and welcoming. However, do not hesitate to walk around, take the bus, ride the scooter or a bicycle. There is a Marketplace across from the resort with some good food, try the conch salad, banana ice cream, and the chicken sousse (awesome soup for breakfast.) We rode rented bikes to a suggested Bahamian restaurant called "Simply Native" and the food was superb. Go to the International Bazaar which its not too far from there. Only once we ordered in-room dining and we both thought it was pretty good.

Room Tip: Don't worry if you don't get an ocean view balcony room the other side has an island view th...
3 Thank petalos1217
Thank you for your review Petalos. We are happy to hear that you had a great time at the resort, had the chance to explore Grand Bahama and experience what the entire island has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Lucayan and Grand Bahama!
Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

We had a great time at the Grand Lucayan as part of a Groupon including the Bahamas Celebration cruise (wish we had skipped the cruise and gone straight there!)

The resort property is fantastic! It's spread out, there are multiple pools, and the infinity pools look right over the ocean. We have traveled to other "tropical" resorts (Aruba, St. Thomas, St. John) and appreciated the spaciousness of this resort over the others!

It is true that the service is slower, but that's typical. The employees did often seem to be bothered by the presence and requests of the guests, however. This will need to improve if they want to be successful.

There is a marketplace right across the street that has plenty of shops and restaurants, etc. There didn't appear to be many "upscale" restaurants though. For the two nights we were at the resort, we went there multiple times. You'd probably want more variety if you were at the resort longer though.

Many of the restaurants at the resort were closed as we were there in November and it's their slow season. This did limit the on-site options.

We had an ocean view room with a balcony and it was great! Very clean room with plenty of room. And love the free wi-fi throughout the entire resort!

Would definitely go back to this resort!!!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view if you can!
1 Thank SagTraveler
PublicRelationsGrand, Public Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Thank you for your kind review Sag Traveler! We are delighted that you had a great time. We are always looking for ways to grow and through reviews, like your own, we are able to address issues and constantly improve. We look forward to having you with us again.
Clearwater, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

I went with a group of 12 people, we had a total of 6 rooms. The atmosphere is beautiful. Service is terrible, most employees we encountered did not appear to want to have to work. It took on average 2 hours to eat any meal, regardless if there was 2 of us or 12 of us. Be prepared to wait in line, for everything. I expected to experience "island time", but this was beyond ridiculous. You get the feeling that you need to be "on-guard" at all times, nothing is safe.

When we arrived in our room, the air conditioner was not working. They did send someone up quickly to resolve the problem. It never fully cooled down in the room, but it was better than no air and we did not plan to spend much time in the room. Not once was our bed made properly, there are no fitted sheets and apparently our room attendant did not know how to tuck flat sheets in. We discovered the housekeepings room key unlocked the deadbolt. She knocked on our door and before we could answer, she barged in. We had our security bar on and the deadbolt. The only thing keeping her from getting in was the security bar.

My sister had to switch her room 3 times. The first room had no functioning door lock. It appeared to be closed and locked, and by chance she tried to back in her room, forgetting to put her key in, and to surprise, the door opened right up. Her next room was missing the refrigerator, had ants, and there was mold.

The food at the resort was decent, prices were not too bad. Some have complained about the cost of drinks, I found them to be average for a resort. I visited the spa, had the most amazing massage ever. My friend had a male masseuse and said he was venturing into inapporopiate areas and made her uncomfortable.

If you go in with managed expectations and great company, you can have a great vacation. Just like any other tourist area, you must be aware of your safety and property. I had family and friends for company, so we still had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Even numbers face the water. Go as high as possible to see over buildings.
2 Thank 1_who_likes_2_travel
At the Grand Lucayan the comfort of our guests is our main priority. Through reviews, like you own, we are able to highlight areas of our service that can be elevated and ensure that your concerns are immediately addressed. Your review has been forwarded to our entire team because your experience is very important to us. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again and showcase the Bahamian hospitality that we do have to offer.