On the first day that we arrived here, the check in process seemed ok until we were told it would be about 20 minutes before our room was ready. We were fine with that, but after half an hour, we were still sitting in the lobby (which was full of people also waiting for their rooms) so I went back up to the desk to ask how much longer and was told "It's not quite ready, maybe another 15 minutes." Yeah right. We ended up waiting two and half hours in the lobby for our room, and then we had to get back in the long line to get our room key card. What a horrible way to start vacation. We left the U.S. at 6 am to get to Bahamas after 1 pm just to sit in a lobby tired and hungry for two and half hours? If it was not for the fact that we had paid in advance, we would have left and gone to another hotel. And the people at the front desk were unapologetic and unhurried despite the the lobby full of people waiting to check in.
So to start off our trip, we were disgusted with this place, but our trip did pick up after that. Our room was decent and clean, housekeeping was great and almost always cleaned our room in the morning while we were working out. Speaking of working out, the fitness center there is phenomenal. It was better than any fitness center I have ever seen at a hotel. Seriously, it was a full gym with plenty of machines, a room with spinning bikes, and another room where they have some group classes. They also had free weights as well as many weight machines.
The other great thing about this hotel was the pool. In fact, they had numerous massive pools, and their hot tubs were awesome. Oh, and the location of the hotel is great. It is right next to Port Lucayan so there are plenty of restaurants to eat outside of the hotel. Eating in Bahamas is expensive, but there were a couple of places that were reasonably priced and cheaper than the restaurant hotel.
The only other thing we did not like about the hotel was the internet. The wi fi didn't work most of the time unless you were in the lobby.
At the end of our trip, my opinion changed from day one. The only other thing I would advise is take a look at your bill the day you are leaving because we got a check out bill for meals and drinks we never ate and drank. However, the woman at the check out counter was able to track the wrong purchase was charged to us and got rid of the charges. The management needs to come up with a system so that this occurs less often.
In conclusion, the resort itself is impressive, and our room itself was fine. The check in process was awful, but some other guests had a better check in experience. If it was not for that and the internet, I would have rated it a 5.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan Bahamas is an elegant resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. This 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Radisson Freeport
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island