“Grand Lucayan Resort”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Lake Worth, Florida
“Grand Lucayan Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

We loved it!!! The room was spacious and the bed very huge and comfortable. We liked being close to the marketplace and lots of places to eat at reasonable prices. Coming over and leaving on Celebration was also wonderful. Would go back in a heartbeat and I live just by West Palm!!

Room Tip: We did not have ocean view and could have cared less!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Hello veraskid3,

Thank you for the kind words. So so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your stay on TripAdvisor. Come back and see us again soon.

Grand Lucayan Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,049)
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I guess it comes along with the price when you have convenience right at your foot. They have a great layout, but when we went....we could tell the business was super slow and bad. There were only 2 workers at the front desk servicing which took on average of 15-20 minutes per customer. The bellmen were very friendly and welcoming.

Con - Our room faced the Lucaya market place. It was decent, but we wished they accommodated us to a room with a view. We were more than happy to pay for the upgrades, but each time we went to the lobby to ask they turned us away and told us to come back at a "different" time. Each person gave a different time to come back. We got tired after asking 3 times to 3 different folks.

Pro - nice location and their new year's eve celebration was superb. enjoyed the live music and fireworks display.

Room Tip: we had ZERO luck with upgrading our rooms (we were willing to pay for an ocean view!)....even on the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tkietika
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Good day tkietika,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience while you stayed with us. We take all feedbacks seriously. We apologize for the frustrations at the front desk. One of the changes we will be implementing at the front desk will be to have more associates available to ensure a smooth check in and check out process. Note that when making a reservation, our resort offers 3 types of views: an ocean view, a marina view or an island view. We do our best to accommodate all requests for upgrades. Our sincere apologies for the frustrations you have encountered and not meeting your expectations. We are however delighted that you enjoyed our new years' eve celebration.
Green Brook, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Location of the property is delightful...beach is like powder with a little reef right in front of it for snorkeling (bring your own snorkel equipment if you have it as they don't rent it on the property). You can go snorkeling from a separate tour company but they take you somewhere else to snorkel. Rooms are very spacious and have hair dryer, coffee maker, make up mirror, iron and ironing board plus a safe...basically has everything you need. If you want an ocean view you need to ask for an even number room as they all face the ocean....there is an upgrade charge for ocean view (of course)....but honestly, like most people say we are not in the room that much (haha, unless you are a honeymooner). The grounds are lovely and well kept. We were there in January and the ocean was warmer than the pool....the pool is delightful also. Lobby is very pretty and reminds me of Key West...large, shutters, palms etc....very calming. The staff that cleans the rooms are all very hard working and very willing to please. This is the part I don't get....the Tiki Bar (or beach bar right off the pool area) staff have an attitude....there were two bartenders, a larger man and a shorter man. The larger fellow never seemed to smile at all and it seemed somewhat of a chore for the smaller man to smile.I don't know about you but as a young person I was a server in a restaurant and the more I smiled and did what the customers wanted the more tips I got...pretty basic I thought. The other thing I've found in my life is that if you smile at someone just about 9 times out of 10 you get a smile back.....not so here. I noticed around the property that a lot (not all) of the personnel were like this.....this definitely is not good for business. I would stay there again because the hotel is nice, the location is very good with the market across the street and there are good restaurants in the area...I would just hope that some of the staff improves their attitude as attitude is everything!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank razzledazzle58
Hi razzledazzle58,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased that you found the property so beautiful and enjoyable. We never get tired of hearing such kind words. I do apologize that you found some of our staff less than welcoming. That is certainly not our standard and I do apologize. Your feedback is extremely important to us and please believe me when I say, it has been heard. I am so pleased to hear that the overall enjoyment of your stay was not greatly affected and that you would consider staying with us again. Once again, thank you for the kind words and I certainly hope we see you again.

Elko, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

This place is the greatest part of our stay!! We got here on my birthday, and I couldn't of asked for more!! The room was great even though we got room 666!! The view we had was so breath taking!! The huge double doors to the balcony made it better!! This is my all time favorite resort! Lovely people all around!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Holephilly
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Hello Holephilly,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all the kind words! :0) Come back and see us again soon.

Arlington, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is my second time staying at the Grand Lucayan. Overall, while I think it was a pleasant experience, I think a few things have gone downhill in terms of services. It's a very nice property with many amenities, but ownership has definitely put a priority on making money, as opposed to, helping people have a great experience on the island.

For the most part the property is lovely and has what you need at a resort. We checked in and found a bright and lovely room with fresh tropical themes. It was clean to start. The staff was friendly and explained all of the things they might be able to accommodate while we were there. Outside the room itself, there are a number of restaurants on property to choose, great beach access, and loads of beautiful swimming pools to relax by. There are gorgeous pools accomodating to your needs. There are watersports and tours available by the beach. One big plus is that there is free internet, though it was very, very spotty. There was also free water and coffee in supply that can be refreshed at your request. In general, if you stay poolside and on the resort you're golden.

Sadly, the cleaning of the room was mostly a miss. On all days that we were there, the housekeeping failed to supply a full set of linens. When we'd call for them they'd bring some linens, but not enough to complete the set. I asked the maid for linens one day after they cleaned the room and failed to bring them. She gave me towels. She said that the laundry was not finished, but they'd bring other linens by. They never came back to replenish the linens that day or any other day.

The fitness center was adequate, but many of the machines did not work (the ellipticals) so there was lots of demand for those that did.

Probably the worst thing about the hotel was that they only pushed "on property entertainment," rather than identifying the best choices for guests. When I asked them about happy hours (of which there are many in the little square next door), they would only speak to the happy hours in the hotels. When we asked them about restaurants or events, they only spoke of those identified at the hotel. When we asked the entertainment concierge tours, they would only arrange tours that were exclusively linked to the hotel. When the ones we wanted were sold out, they wouldn't recommend other companies or even say that other companies existed. They only recommended other in house tours for us to purchase.. I had done my research so booked my own tours, but this left a sour, sour taste in my mouth. While hotels have every right to sell you their own amenities first, their best served when they offer choices that meet the needs of their guests.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience and provided most of what me and my friends needed. That said, I could've had a much better time at the hotel with some adjustments that are easy for the property to make.

Room Tip: If the difference in price is limited, definitely go for the ocean view rooms. Ask for the 3rd floo...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank worktotravel14
Dear worktotravel14,
Thank you for aking the time to rate us on TripAdvsor. We apologize for failing to meet your expectations. We have addressed the concerns with our Housekeeping department and ensure this will not happen again. We offer alot of entertainment on property such as live music daily in the Manor House, Our Junkanoo parade every evenings from 6pm, our managers cocktail party on Thursdays from 4pm which includes music, hors d'oeuvres and cocktails, our bahamian buffet on fridays, fish fry on wednesdays and our sunday brunch. Externally, there are attractions that are available for those who want to see a different side of the island. Across the street is Port Lucaya Marketplace, a vibrant, open-air shopping and entertainment hub overlooking the waterfront. There’s deep sea fishing and scuba and swimming with the dolphins. There is a fair amount of stuff for a person to do and get a feel for the area. Please let us know when you plan your next visit, and we will make sure that you have a Grand Lucayan time.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

I do a lot of research so I usually get it right (thanks to TA). I was a little nervous reading some reviews, but when you discount the complaints about alcohol and check-in, Grand Lucayan comes through.

We arrived at 10pm and the lobby was empty. I pre-paid for adjoining rooms (two), but was shocked to learn that in the Bahamas, adjoining means "across" and not connected. Obviously with two small kids that was not going to work and make our vacation memorable. Wonderful Meagan at the front desk stepped in and took my situation back to the manager. Five minutes later I was upgraded to the Lanai suites, with a separate room for the kids to sleep in, and an amazing view of the ocean with beach right out our doorstep at no additional cost. We talked about the criticisms of check-in and unfortunately, with cruisers, sometimes you get a lot of them at once, and before the check-in time. Let's be reasonable people.

The suite was nice; a little older furniture and televisions, but large and clean. Plenty of good water pressure and housekeeping did a wonderful job throughout. Unfortunately you can't really leave your door open, even on the second floor, as there is open access. I would have loved to hear the ocean at night.

The entire staff was amazing, as were the cab drivers and local servers across the street. Freeport in general is a warm and friendly place with genuinely nice people ready to help, and not just looking for tips.But back to the hotel...

GOOD: Service, food everywhere (really good pizza!), prices (including room service are very reasonable), activities for the kids, grocery/Starbucks near pool has everything without ripping you off for high prices, amazing location across from the marketplace.

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: (1) Wifi!!!! (Spotty service and none in room. Please upgrade.)(2) Pool is not heated! What? You have 75-100 people at the beach/pool and 3 were in the pool water as it was colder than the ocean. This was really frustrating. You have a beautiful negative edge pool...get it heated-people will eat and drink more and stay longer.

One last word on motor sports. There is a letter from the GM in the room asking you not to participate in unsanctioned motor sports, which they clearly market right in front of the hotel and seemingly in conjunction with the hotel. I was therefore confused since the beach is private. Nevertheless, Charles will work with you...just tell him you want the best rate and don't accept the rate on the sheet; he gets paid by the person not the rate. Prices for all activities were once again, very reasonable for a prime vacation spot. The only activity which could be dangerous is para-sailing. After watching everyone do it for three days, we figured it was safe enough and off we went (after negotiating a discount). Also did the banana boat and wave runners. They are nice guys and they know what they are doing. Forget the letter....it's too convenient to pass it up.

Fitness facility was awesome and although we did not spa...it looked great. I had no problem with the 15% automatic gratuity throughout the island, as I tend to tip more anyway. I just added cash if I felt the urge for great service.

We had a great time and if not for the two issues noted above, would have given this vacation 5 stars. Well done GL....just heat the pool please!!!

Room Tip: If you can get the suits....do!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank AZ-Traveler85253
Hello AZ-Traveler85253,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate all of the kind words, as well as the fair and balanced review of your stay. Your feedback is certainly heard and valued. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the food and the service and that you found the gym and other amenities to be of good value. We apologize if the Wifi was spotty, but for this very issue, we do have ethernet cables in every room that offer high speed internet. Your request for heated pools is certainly noted and will be taken under consideration.

Once again thank you for the thoughtful comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Lahaina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

I booked an oceanview king bed for 6 days through Sarah at customer service. I was not disappointed as I had a 9th floor corner unit. It was fabulous, thank you Sarah! Dwayne, Solomon, Audley and all the bartenders at Hammerheads were the best to me especially traveling alone. Roosevelt the IT guy came in on a Sunday to fix the wifi that wasn't working at all in the hotel. Aleksandra was very accommodating as the manager and Elaine helped me out with my ipad. I had such an enjoyable time. I loved the location and that you didn't have to leave the resort because everything was right there. Beautiful beach, beautiful people and an all around beautiful time. I can't wait to come back!

The only negative thing I would have to say is that all of the night workers at the restaurants, bars and front desk were not friendly at all and did not enjoy their jobs. It was very strange because it was the complete opposite during the day where they were all so friendly and helpful. I even encountered one worker during the day that had been very rude at night and was the complete opposite during the day so not sure what's going on with the staff at night.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank MegaVegaMaui
Hello MegaVegaMaui,

Sarah, Dwayne, Solomon, Audley and Aleksandra all say hello!! Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor and for sharing your experience while staying at the Grand Lucayan. I'm so glad that you received such wonderful service throughout the day and were able to make so many friends with our staff. We certainly take great pride our friendly staff. Which is why I am very sorry to hear that you were treated with a less than courteous attitude by some of our night time staff. We thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we will certainly look into this. I'm glad to know that it did not take away from the overall enjoyment of your stay.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. And we hope that you will come back to see us again soon.