“Awesome Time...”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
San Francisco, California
“Awesome Time...”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I traveled to Freeport Grand Bahamas before via cruise ship but this time I flew in to Freeport and stayed at the Grand Lucayan Hotel.

I was a little nervous at first as I was traveling alone this time and wasn’t quite sure what to expect. Upon arriving, the check-in was a little slow but my overall stay was quite lovely.

I enjoyed “All Things" Grand Lucayan: My Marina view room, which looked more like an ocean view, the restaurants, poolS, and the beach. One of the bartenders at the bar was a really nice young man, Dwayne. He seemed happy to serve his customers and exemplified the true Bahamian culture that I had expected- warm, friendly, and laid back. i HAD AN AWESOME TIME AND CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT AGAIN.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone any day.

LeeA

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank angel613
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hi Lee A,

Thanks for sharing your great experience at our resort on Trip Advisor.

I’m so happy you chose to stay with us this time...traveling alone can be quite nerve-racking.

Many guests rave about our staff and love how they embody true Bahamian culture. I’m so glad Dwayne made you feel right at home, and helped make your vacation memorable.

Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to you visiting us again.

Your friends at The Grand Lucayan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was pleased staying in this beautiful place the staff excellent smile in there face .... The beach and weather is very nice thanks for you service we have room ready in our check in that is awesome :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi Amy,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind words on Trip Advisor. We’re very happy you enjoyed your stay.

We hope you’ll visit us again! :)

london
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Normally travel to Eleuthera when I go to the Bahamas, so this was a first in Grand Bahama for me. Wasn't sure what to expect, but the Grand Lucayan met all expectations, great 'feel', polite and courteous staff, and lovely surroundings.

Room though classed as a 'Marina View' was more akin to an ocean view, and stunning it was to. Well maintained gardens, very clean and comfortable and wish I could have stayed longer.

All in all, the 'Grand' lives up to its name and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone wanting a relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Tony W
Hi LondonBonefish,

Thanks for this wonderful review you shared on Trip Advisor.

I’m so thrilled to hear we lived up to our name, and that your experience was nothing less than Grand.

We hope you’ll visit us again in the future! :)

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We loved and enjoyed the beach more than anything. The room was clean and big, we got an ocean view room we really liked. The location was good, the little town/market accross the street was perfect, but must of the restaurants were really expensive. We enjoyed the firework and the live music at the plaza... The only thing we did't like was that the water at the pool looked dirty, looked like foaming on the surface, so we didn't go in. There are no showers when you come out from the ocean, so people cleaned the sand off at the pool.
Ok, for a short week end stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PonceCandy
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear PonceCandy,
Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. We are happy you have enjoyed our beach, grounds and entertainment and had a great stay. We apologize for the inconvenience with the pools. We will definitely bring it up to our Resort Manager's attention. The showers are located towards the end of our Serpentine pool (the S-shaped pool), near China Beach restaurant. We are glad that this did not affect your stay. We hope to welcome you back in the future for a better stay.

Grand Lucayan Management
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Prior to my trip, I read lots of reviews of this resort. I'm happy to report that I thought the facilities were great! The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. The bathroom could use some help in some minor cosmetic areas (like a retouch on paint, etc.) but it wasn't anything that was unclean or caused any issues for my stay. The staff with whom I interacted were all very pleasant. The housekeeping ladies were so sweet! The swim up bar was great and the bartenders amusing (as bartenders should be).

I've traveled in the Bahamas before and people tend to complain that the food is expensive, but it was about what I expected. The breakfast buffet on property was a good value with a lot of options. I enjoyed going to the marketplace restaurants for dinner just to have a change of scenery as I spent most of the day on the resort property.

I'd definitely return to this property!

Room Tip: If you are looking to see the beautiful sunrises, choose a beach front room!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melinda W
Hi Melinda,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience, and for your detailed and thoughtful review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback, and think other guests will find your review helpful.

I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and spent most of your time just having fun on the resort.

We look forward to your return. :)

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was my first trip to the Bahamas and this resort was lovely. I had lowered my expectations because we purchased our room through groupon, and those can be hit or miss. However, our room was big and breezy, and had a really nice view of the marina. But the best part about the resort (in my opinion) is the way they lay out the property. Each section of the hotel has its own unique combination of pools and jacuzzis that are spread out in such a way that the pools seem as if they are about to spill directly into the ocean. I'm a swimmer, so I definitely spent an entire day of our vacation doing the "pool-hot tub-ocean-repeat" dance. If you want straight up no fuss traditional Bahamian cuisine, try Billie Joe's on the Beach (get the cracked conch. It is delicious.)

You're also walking distance to the Port Lucaya marketplace, and Count Bassie square, where there are always musicians and dancing late into the night. You're also an easy walk to the Unexsco diving center, where you can swim with wild dolphins, sharks, whatever tickles your fancy. Staying here almost completely eliminates the need for public transport/taxis because everything you need is so accessible on foot.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JLags
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Hello JLags,

Thanks so much for all the lovely words. We sincerely appreciate the wonderful feedback! So glad we restored your faith in Groupon! :0)

Hope to see you again soon,

Your friends at Grand Lucayan!
Montreal
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at the Grand Lucayan Oct. 3 and 4th. The Hotel site is very nice, grounds are well kept, beach is gorgeous and pool is nice. The check-in was ok and they were nice enough to give us a room that was ready (early check-in). Our room had a beautiful view of the marina.

We were disappointed with the room because there was a cigarette odor that was present, batteries in the safe needed to be replaced, the toiletries were missing and whatever was there was half empty, the tissue box was practically empty, no hair dryer and the bathroom really looked beat up. Even though we did address these issues, nobody seemed to care. We had the feeling that the Hotel was having... cash flow issues.

We needed a late check out because our flight was at 5:30PM and they charged us the $35 late check out even with all the previous issues we had.

The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were way too soft. Food was ok, nice brunch, friendly staff (Willy Broadleaft).

People complaining about extra or hidden fees should read properly. It was very clear to us, before booking, that there were additional charges. No surprise there.

We filled out the online survey from the Hotel, hoping somebody would contact us... but in vain. Would we go back? I think at this point, without having been contacted by the Hotel management, we would try another Hotel.

Room Tip: Marina view is probably the best choice because you can't see anything at night (ocean view).
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luc427
Hello Luc427,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I'm very sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than exceptional. We pride ourselves on excellent guest services, and I am very sorry to hear if we were lacking in this area during your visit. It sounds to me like you had very valid concerns and if you would like to discuss this further with our guest services, please email us at: info@grandlucayan.com.

Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.

Grand Lucayan Management