“Excellent Customer Care!”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Benton, Kentucky
“Excellent Customer Care!”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My parents were staying here celebrating their 39th wedding anniversary. I called the hotel to find out if they could send a basket to the room on my behalf as a gift to my parents. When the guest services representative found out it was my parents anniversary, she notified the manager and they immediately jumped to action to take care of them and pamper them so well. I don't even know when was the last time my parents took a vacation for just the two of them and I am so grateful that the Grand Lucayan staff did all they could to make my parents feel so special and to make the trip memorable! Wow! I'm so impressed!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Hi EDeHart,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor. Your parents must’ve been so happy! How thoughtful of you for thinking of them on their anniversary!

We’re honored that your parents chose to celebrate their 39th wedding anniversary with us. It thrills me knowing that they were able to make up for some much-need alone time, and have an anniversary experience that was not only special, but memorable.

Congratulations, again, on your parents’ anniversary. We hope they will celebrate with us again in the future.

Your friends at The Grand Lucayan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 17 October 2013

As many of the reviews have mentioned, the pool and beach at this property are very nice. The beach is clean, the water is crystal clear (turquoise), and the beach chairs were plentiful.

In terms of the rooms, they did leave much to be desired--especially if you have been to some of the nicer resorts in Mexico. Our oceanfront room (5th floor) was in need of some updates (although it wasn't "dirty"). The bathroom had many rust spots, the shower drained very slow (it took 5 mins to drain after a quick shower), and the whole bathroom just seemed neglected.

Some of the hotel's staff (housekeeping and bartenders) were always friendly and upbeat, while the restaurant staff always seemed detached and bored.

Unless you get a great deal, the food at the hotel is not worth the price (even if you do all-inclusive). Drinks and monotonous meals are overpriced and aren't anything special. The breakfast buffet was rarely fully stocked, and the same items were on the menu every day. While the other food options were decent, there certainly weren't any meals to write home about.

In all, the hotel provides a relaxing atmosphere that isn't too crowded (in the off season) but the rooms and food are average, at best. A quick fix-up of the rooms/bathrooms and a revamp of the restaurant menus could make this a really nice resort.

Room Tip: Get an oceanview room...the island view overlooks the marketplace and the backside of the hotel prop...
1 Thank Clayfenderstrat
Hi Clayfenderstrat,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback.

I'm very sorry if the room was anything less than exceptional. Many guests praise the beauty and general upkeep of the hotel. I'm sorry this was not the case in your experience.

Thank you, again, for your input. We hope to accommodate you better in the future.

Grand Lucayan Management
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We just returned from from Freeport and had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Lucayan resort. We stayed in an ocean front room on the 5th floor with a spectacular view. The room was average sized, and decorated nicely although the bathroom could have used a facelift. We were pleased with it nonetheless. The plantation style of the lobby is really pretty and the resort itself is quite nice and very well laid out. After taking a walk down the beach we realized just how sprawling this resort is. We were part of a large group that was visiting and there were two other large groups there at the same time and it never seemed too crowded. There were always enough chairs at the pool and beach, and in the restaurants as well. We were there on an all-inclusive food and drinks plan.
Our issue with this resort was with the restaurants - The Willy Broadleaf buffet had very little selection of food, but you could make a reservation at China Beach, which had excellent asian style food but very slow service. We went to Iries our last night and had lobster caesar salad and conch fritters and the food and ambience were great! The other restaurant that's attached to the lobby was off limits to us unless we wanted to pay and we didn't end up eating there. There's also an outdoor beach grill (China Beach) that served burgers, fries, hotdogs, etc. The people who work there are absolutely lovely and helpful - and one thing we really noticed was the very slow pace there, which Americans are not used to, or seemed annoyed about. It's the Bahamas people! Service was quite slow in the restaurants but we had time to lounge and enjoy ourselves so once we got what we ordered, it was really pretty good :)
Drinks were very good and actually had name brand alcohol in them, unlike what we've experienced in Mexico. There is no cash tipping at the Grand Lucayan because they factor in a 15% tip on everything. I will say this: I wouldn't stay there without being on an all-inclusive plan because food and drinks were pretty expensive and like some of the other reviews, I would recommend eating at the marketplace across the street. There were several restaurants over there and lots of souvenir shops. So to wrap up my review I also want to say that the beach here is absolutely gorgeous with white powdery sand and warm, clear turquoise water so don't spend all your time at the pool! :D

Room Tip: Make sure you request an ocean facing room.
2 Thank Wcstgrl
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hi Wcstgrl,

Thanks for taking the moment to write about your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback.

I’m glad you were able to take advantage of our all-inclusive meal plan. It’s a great way to vacation on a budget. I’m also glad you enjoyed the food at China Beach and Iries.

I apologize if Willy Broadleaf did not have the selection you were hoping for. We will certainly take your comments into consideration.

Thank you for visiting our resort. We hope to see you again. :)

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I traveled to Freeport Grand Bahamas before via cruise ship but this time I flew in to Freeport and stayed at the Grand Lucayan Hotel.

I was a little nervous at first as I was traveling alone this time and wasn’t quite sure what to expect. Upon arriving, the check-in was a little slow but my overall stay was quite lovely.

I enjoyed “All Things" Grand Lucayan: My Marina view room, which looked more like an ocean view, the restaurants, poolS, and the beach. One of the bartenders at the bar was a really nice young man, Dwayne. He seemed happy to serve his customers and exemplified the true Bahamian culture that I had expected- warm, friendly, and laid back. i HAD AN AWESOME TIME AND CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT AGAIN.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone any day.

LeeA

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank angel613
Hi Lee A,

Thanks for sharing your great experience at our resort on Trip Advisor.

I’m so happy you chose to stay with us this time...traveling alone can be quite nerve-racking.

Many guests rave about our staff and love how they embody true Bahamian culture. I’m so glad Dwayne made you feel right at home, and helped make your vacation memorable.

Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to you visiting us again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was pleased staying in this beautiful place the staff excellent smile in there face .... The beach and weather is very nice thanks for you service we have room ready in our check in that is awesome :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi Amy,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind words on Trip Advisor. We’re very happy you enjoyed your stay.

We hope you’ll visit us again! :)

london
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Normally travel to Eleuthera when I go to the Bahamas, so this was a first in Grand Bahama for me. Wasn't sure what to expect, but the Grand Lucayan met all expectations, great 'feel', polite and courteous staff, and lovely surroundings.

Room though classed as a 'Marina View' was more akin to an ocean view, and stunning it was to. Well maintained gardens, very clean and comfortable and wish I could have stayed longer.

All in all, the 'Grand' lives up to its name and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone wanting a relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Tony W
Hi LondonBonefish,

Thanks for this wonderful review you shared on Trip Advisor.

I’m so thrilled to hear we lived up to our name, and that your experience was nothing less than Grand.

We hope you’ll visit us again in the future! :)

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We loved and enjoyed the beach more than anything. The room was clean and big, we got an ocean view room we really liked. The location was good, the little town/market accross the street was perfect, but must of the restaurants were really expensive. We enjoyed the firework and the live music at the plaza... The only thing we did't like was that the water at the pool looked dirty, looked like foaming on the surface, so we didn't go in. There are no showers when you come out from the ocean, so people cleaned the sand off at the pool.
Ok, for a short week end stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PonceCandy
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear PonceCandy,
Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. We are happy you have enjoyed our beach, grounds and entertainment and had a great stay. We apologize for the inconvenience with the pools. We will definitely bring it up to our Resort Manager's attention. The showers are located towards the end of our Serpentine pool (the S-shaped pool), near China Beach restaurant. We are glad that this did not affect your stay. We hope to welcome you back in the future for a better stay.

Grand Lucayan Management