“Nice spot”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Very friendly staff, always eager to help. cool beach and some nice pools! excellent food at the Restaurants and Bars but it is nevertheless rather expensive!! I would come back as it is like Paradise here!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Hi Gunther,

Thank you for the taking the time to write and share this review on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate the feedback.

I’m glad you enjoyed the relaxing beach and the different pools located around the resort. Hopefully you enjoyed a drink or two poolside at the swim-up bar. :0)

We're happy to hear the that food, overall, was excellent. Sorry if the pricing was not in line with your budget.

We hope to see you again in paradise real soon.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

It was included in a package from the cruise Bahamas Celebration. A wonderful pick. Friendly staff, grounds are lovely, a wonderful infinity Pool with view of the ocean. Clean beaches and the ocean water warm and clear. Walking distance to the Market Place and other places.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Barbara M

Hi 13Barbie75,

Thank you for taking the moment to share this great review on Trip Advisor.

I’m glad your vacation cruise included a great experience at our resort, and you were able to explore the grounds by dipping in our incredible infinity pool. The view is quite picturesque, isn’t it?

We’re so happy you enjoyed your visit. We hope you’ll stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We attended a large sponsorship event held at the hotel. We had a ocean front room with beautiful views. The room was comfortable, the amenities were what I expected. The all inclusive meal plan had fewer choices than many but very good quality food overall. The dinners were an all night experience. Slow, but steady, service that was nice but not overly hospitable. The spa was very nice with good choices and fair prices. I enjoyed my visit and would go again with a group. Not a place I would take small children. Beautiful beach, quiet lazy place to enjoy the sun.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bookroxy

Hello Bookroxy,

Thank you for sharing this great review on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate feedback.

We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and were able to find the time to pamper yourself with our affordable spa choices, after relaxing on the beautiful beach.

We look forward to accommodating you and your group in the future. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I can only review this resort from the aspect of taking a day trip excursion there from the Bahamas Celebration cruise ship, but the property was lovely when my best friend and I took a much needed BFF trip. A very nice clean beach, beautiful infinity pool, good food served at lunch, clean surroundings and friendly atmosphere. Wish we could have stayed longer! Very relaxing during our short stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DLady69

Hi DLady69,

I’m so happy you and your BFF were able to take such a lovely vacation that included spending the day at our resort. It must’ve been a fun adventure!

We wished you could’ve stayed longer, too! Hopefully you and your BFF may visit us in the future and stay in one of our Ocean View rooms. The view is incredible!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My parents were staying here celebrating their 39th wedding anniversary. I called the hotel to find out if they could send a basket to the room on my behalf as a gift to my parents. When the guest services representative found out it was my parents anniversary, she notified the manager and they immediately jumped to action to take care of them and pamper them so well. I don't even know when was the last time my parents took a vacation for just the two of them and I am so grateful that the Grand Lucayan staff did all they could to make my parents feel so special and to make the trip memorable! Wow! I'm so impressed!

Hi EDeHart,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor. Your parents must’ve been so happy! How thoughtful of you for thinking of them on their anniversary!

We’re honored that your parents chose to celebrate their 39th wedding anniversary with us. It thrills me knowing that they were able to make up for some much-need alone time, and have an anniversary experience that was not only special, but memorable.

Congratulations, again, on your parents’ anniversary. We hope they will celebrate with us again in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

As many of the reviews have mentioned, the pool and beach at this property are very nice. The beach is clean, the water is crystal clear (turquoise), and the beach chairs were plentiful.

In terms of the rooms, they did leave much to be desired--especially if you have been to some of the nicer resorts in Mexico. Our oceanfront room (5th floor) was in need of some updates (although it wasn't "dirty"). The bathroom had many rust spots, the shower drained very slow (it took 5 mins to drain after a quick shower), and the whole bathroom just seemed neglected.

Some of the hotel's staff (housekeeping and bartenders) were always friendly and upbeat, while the restaurant staff always seemed detached and bored.

Unless you get a great deal, the food at the hotel is not worth the price (even if you do all-inclusive). Drinks and monotonous meals are overpriced and aren't anything special. The breakfast buffet was rarely fully stocked, and the same items were on the menu every day. While the other food options were decent, there certainly weren't any meals to write home about.

In all, the hotel provides a relaxing atmosphere that isn't too crowded (in the off season) but the rooms and food are average, at best. A quick fix-up of the rooms/bathrooms and a revamp of the restaurant menus could make this a really nice resort.

Room Tip: Get an oceanview room...the island view overlooks the marketplace and the backside of the hotel prop...
1  Thank Clayfenderstrat

Hi Clayfenderstrat,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback.

I'm very sorry if the room was anything less than exceptional. Many guests praise the beauty and general upkeep of the hotel. I'm sorry this was not the case in your experience.

Thank you, again, for your input. We hope to accommodate you better in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We just returned from from Freeport and had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Lucayan resort. We stayed in an ocean front room on the 5th floor with a spectacular view. The room was average sized, and decorated nicely although the bathroom could have used a facelift. We were pleased with it nonetheless. The plantation style of the lobby is really pretty and the resort itself is quite nice and very well laid out. After taking a walk down the beach we realized just how sprawling this resort is. We were part of a large group that was visiting and there were two other large groups there at the same time and it never seemed too crowded. There were always enough chairs at the pool and beach, and in the restaurants as well. We were there on an all-inclusive food and drinks plan.
Our issue with this resort was with the restaurants - The Willy Broadleaf buffet had very little selection of food, but you could make a reservation at China Beach, which had excellent asian style food but very slow service. We went to Iries our last night and had lobster caesar salad and conch fritters and the food and ambience were great! The other restaurant that's attached to the lobby was off limits to us unless we wanted to pay and we didn't end up eating there. There's also an outdoor beach grill (China Beach) that served burgers, fries, hotdogs, etc. The people who work there are absolutely lovely and helpful - and one thing we really noticed was the very slow pace there, which Americans are not used to, or seemed annoyed about. It's the Bahamas people! Service was quite slow in the restaurants but we had time to lounge and enjoy ourselves so once we got what we ordered, it was really pretty good :)
Drinks were very good and actually had name brand alcohol in them, unlike what we've experienced in Mexico. There is no cash tipping at the Grand Lucayan because they factor in a 15% tip on everything. I will say this: I wouldn't stay there without being on an all-inclusive plan because food and drinks were pretty expensive and like some of the other reviews, I would recommend eating at the marketplace across the street. There were several restaurants over there and lots of souvenir shops. So to wrap up my review I also want to say that the beach here is absolutely gorgeous with white powdery sand and warm, clear turquoise water so don't spend all your time at the pool! :D

Room Tip: Make sure you request an ocean facing room.
2  Thank Wcstgrl
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Hi Wcstgrl,

Thanks for taking the moment to write about your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback.

I’m glad you were able to take advantage of our all-inclusive meal plan. It’s a great way to vacation on a budget. I’m also glad you enjoyed the food at China Beach and Iries.

I apologize if Willy Broadleaf did not have the selection you were hoping for. We will certainly take your comments into consideration.

Thank you for visiting our resort. We hope to see you again. :)

Your friends at The Grand Lucayan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#1 of 1 in West End
Island Seas Resort
Island Seas Resort
#12 of 14 in Freeport

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!