“Best in Port Lucaya” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Braintree MA
“Best in Port Lucaya”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed 11/7-11/12. This is a very large hotel reminiscent of the Florida hotels of the '50's. I believe it has been remodeled, still vestiges of the old hotel seem to peek through now and then. If you're the type that takes photo's of the rust spots on the plumbing etc. it may not be to your liking, but the room I had was more than adequate and clean. Everything worked. There could have been more water pressure in the shower would be my only complaint. We had a gorgeous ocean view from a large balcony. Request ocean side above the 5th floor. Lots of shops and restaurants across the street. Eat there instead of the hotel. We had the breakfast buffet at the hotel once, very good, $30 for two. Regular breakfast at Zorba's across the street was $13 for two. We had the sunday brunch which suffered from the typical brunch failure, lukewarm food like leftovers. Ate at the fine dining Churchills because we had a $100 credit through Bookit.com (Had to remind the front desk twice to include it.) Worried because of poor reviews, we none the less had an excellent meal here with professional service. Front desk operations could be slow, it seemed they had multiple paperwork requirements for each transaction. The beach was excellent. Big as it is, remodeling is going on which will double the property once complete. There were many of those beach vendors selling shells, starfish, jewelry, hair braiding, water sports, etc. Security, which was very light, could have done a better job limiting this activity. We were here for a wedding at another hotel close by and talked to a number of people who had problems at that hotel and subsequently transferred to the Lucayan. People on this island were exceptionally pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Above the 5th floor ocean side gives you a great view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pvalen
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hi Pvalen,

Thank you so much for taking the moment to share this review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us during the wedding. So glad you enjoyed the ocean view. It's certainly a crowed pleaser. It's almost impossible to take a bad picture from the balcony. :0)

I’m also very happy to hear that got to experience some of the restaurants outside of the hotel, but even happier to hear that you made time to eat at Churchill's. It's a staff favorite! :0) I do apologize if there was any inconvenience or hesitation to take the $100 credit. I will certainly look into this to see that it does not happen again.

Thank you for all the wonderful feedback. We hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
Westbrook, Connecticut

pools
service
friendliness
location to Lucayan Market incl all restaurants

could be better: (all minor)
snorkeling at beach (just grass - do snorkel kayak combo tour instead)

Room Tip: Definitely choose ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jverhagen
Hi Jverhagen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.

Your friends at Grand Lucayan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Totally luxurious including swim up bar with lobster pizza, yeah its all that, hotel is directly on the soft white sandy beach... was 88 degrees, mmmm
Staff treats you exceptionally well and the prices are not bad... go visit, mon

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Adrienne C
Hi Adrienne,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! FYI: I could live off lobster pizza. :0)

Guilford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband turned 60 and I agonized all year about what to do. Travel, in my mind, is always a winner! However, he loves to lay in the sun and I like to keep moving. Living Social had a deal back in June with this property. It looked great! Beach, ocean for him, pool for me, or so I thought. I think I was in the ocean more than him; and I am a pool lover!

We were given a beautiful room on the seventh floor overlooking the grounds, harbor and ocean. The room was large and had a huge deck where you could watch the sun rise and the moon as well. Just a beautiful view. The room itself needs a little work, the walls are thin, but the view more than made up for it. Felt safe, no problem leaving belongings in room. Only real issue are the guests smoking on the balconies. No fault of the lovely staff or the hotel.
Every am enjoyed the sunrise and two pots of coffee before going down to the daily breakfast buffet. No one rushed you out of the room. Made sure to get milk from the store as none in room--just creamers.

Enjoyed the beach every day. Loved all the vendors selling their wares. The jewelry, t-shirts, coverups, starfishman, conchman. Even had my hair braided by Momma D. My local hairdresser loves the job you did, and it is still in. Don't want to take it out! The lifeguards work hard there. Lounge set up, pool duty, sand duty etc. The beach is just beautiful. Great way to tan if you can't sit still. Just floated while waving to everyone going by. No problem with crabs, stingrays or other creatures. Had no fear!

After the beach into the pool and then refreshing drinks at Hammerheads. Had the rum punch, and great bloody mary's. Bar staff is great...Edmond, Solomon, and Michael! Love you guys!

The restaurant staff is so friendly as well. Velma, Catherine, Monica and everyone else. You guys make it. Thanks again for my husband's cake. You guys are keepers!

The front desk very nice at check-in. A sweety! We loved are room! Thank you.

On getting to the hotel, they have taxis queued up right outside. No problem. Make sure you get the cabby's name/card. Just call and they will come and get you. So reliable and friendly. $30 to the hotel for the two of us including tip. A pleasure.

The only issue, and not a big one, was the Concierge desk when we tried to schedule an excursion to the National Park and kayak. Seemed like it was always full and the girl didn't try very hard at accommodating us. Seems like they rely on cruise ship people to fill it up. We tried, but no luck. So called the cabby and he brought us at 11 and picked up at 5. There was a street vendor selling water (thank God) as we forgot to grab some. Walked out through the mangroves to Gold Rock Beach where it is my understanding they filmed Pirates of the Caribbean. The beach was beautiful, complete with translucent crabs. The tide was going out so we got to see a little of the welcome mat. Just beautiful. Cab picked us up at 5 on time. It was perfect. Some things happen for a reason, I guess. It couldn't have been better!

Surprised my husband with a para sail trip on his birthday morning. It was so light and ethereal. What a way to fly. I don't think he will ever forget this!

Thank you Grand Lucayan. We enjoyed our time so much, we are coming back for Christmas with two of our children! Shhh! it's a surprise. They think they will be at Disney the whole time.

Please forgive my if I did not mention all your names...you are all wonderful! Thanks for making a difference. Can't wait to see you all again!

Splurge on the ocean view with the large balcony...it's all about the view here. Get up at sunrise...it's amazing!

Room Tip: Splurge on the ocean view...you'll be glad you did!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hicks23
Hi Hicks23,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this very sweet, and detailed review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is much appreciated.

I’m very happy you chose to celebrate your husband’s 60th birthday with us. I’m so glad our staff created a memorable experience for you both. We will certainly let Edmond, Solomon, Michael, Velma, Catherine, Monica know how much they impacted your stay! :0)

Thank you, again, for staying with us. We’re looking forward to seeing you and family next month! :)

I’m so sorry if our concierge service couldn’t be more helpful in scheduling an excursion to kayak at Lucayan National Park. Reservations can fill up quickly if we’re expecting a visit from cruise ships. For you next visit in December, I recommend scheduling in advance with our Reservations staff.

Thank you, again, for staying with us. And for writing such a kind and sweet review. We’re looking forward to seeing you and family next month! :)

Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our Carnival cruise itinerary allowed for 6 hours at Freeport. After reading tripadvisor reviews for Grand Lucayan, we decided to buy a day pass and spend the day. We took a shuttle bus from the port for $15 per person and paid $10 per person for the day pass. The investment was certainly worth the money. We enjoyed lots of wide-open space. The beach was beautifully manicured, the pools were clean and refreshing. Pool bar and restaurants were nice quality and reasonably priced. I would highly recommend it for anyone needing some time to relax away from the crowded cruise ship.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Tim K
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for spending the day at our resort. I’m so glad your visit was relaxing, and a nice break away from the cruise ship.

We hope you'll consider staying with us next time. :)

Your friends at The Grand Lucayan
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I am a business traveler and don’t have time to use the amenities such as the tennis courts, pool, gym, or beach.

I actually wanted to use the hot tub after a long day working on my feet. However the hot tub was out of service for the three days I was there. I was not happy about this. If the hot tub was working, I would have giving the resort an excellent rating.

The wait to check in was too long. There was only one person at the front desk. There should have been at least two people working there.

The food at the breakfast buffet was great. Location is awesome. The rooms was spacious and super clean.

Added to my bill when I checked out were the following: Government tax of 5%, Tourism Levy of 9%, Energy surcharge of 10%, Resort fee of 9%, Service charge of 8%. These charges added quite a bit to the cost of the room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
11 Thank xx7xx
Hi xx7xx,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor. We sincerely appreciate the feedback.

I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the location, it's almost impossible to take a bad picture. :0) I'm also happy to hear that the breakfast buffet did not disappoint.

Please accept my sincere apologize that the hot tub was out of service during your visit.

Also, I'm sorry if any of the taxes and fees were unclear upon booking. Guests who book through our website will see all of the taxes and fees up front. Guests who book through 3rd party sits have the option to pay taxes and fees at the hotel and so, often times, are not exposed to the pricing.

We appreciate you staying with us during your business trip, and hope to welcome you back for either business or pleasure.

Sandusky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hotel is right on the beach which is a secure beach for hotel guests only for your protection. The most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Upgrade to the all inclusive breakfast it is def worth it. Food is amazing and they prepare it right in front of you!! When you go for breakfast ask for Lilly to serve you she is upbeat, warm, and def made our experience every time we ate there! Best server on the island. The hotel location is great right on the beach well taken care of and right across from the port lucayan market place. Def do the banana boat ride ask for Jamal it's a fun inexpensive way to see the island. As far as restaurants Do NOT go to Iries it's located at the hotel. Awful food awful service. We ate at Sabors 3 times best food on the island. The shark dives with Unexso were a great experience if your a diver we highly recommend that. Relax in the Infiniti pool!!

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank Skurzen
Hi Skurzen,

Thanks so much for the kind words!

So glad you enjoyed the all inclusive breakfast! :-) We will certainly let Lilly know how much you enjoyed her!

I’m very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Iries. For that, I do apologize. I will certainly look into this further.

Thanks for leaving such a detailed review. I’m sure other guests will find this useful.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,211 reviews
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!