“Perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Spent Christmas at this hotel last year. We were really pleasantly surprised.

The gym is great, the beach is on your doorstep and simply fabulous - we couldn't have asked for more. There is a little market across the street and a golf club 5 mins cab away. It's a quite and relaxing resort. Not for the party goers.

Check in and check out definitely takes too long and so we are hoping that the speed this up as we have booked to return in February :)

Less paperwork - the admin people need to prepare guests details on their system prior to arrival so that we merely have to scan and sign vs filling out forms and holding everyone up.

Hallways/corridors were a little too cold - the AC was set too low but not low enough for me to mention it when there.

All in all we had a perfect time and are super excited to go back in 3 months time.

The facilities, the pool, the friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere is simply wonderful.

A great stay and a great sea view!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank triptime2012
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hi Elayne,

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay, and are treating yourself to another getaway in a few months. We love our repeat visitors! :0)

Looking forward to seeing you in February! We’ll try not to set the A/C too low. :)

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Lucayan for our honeymoon! The room was very clean and nicely decorated. We had an ocean view room which had wonderful sliding glass doors which opened up to a very large balcony! The view was spectacular from our room, spend the extra money to get ocean view!!!

The pools and beaches we very clean. We spent a lot of our time by the infinity pool which had a beautiful view!! I would really recommend it!

The resort had many restaurants on site all of them had amazing food. The service at China Beach was a little slow considering they were not busy the night we went, but that would be my only complaint.

They have many daily activities planned which are free and you can get a copy of the list at guest services! We took advantage of a few of these! The fitness center was also free which my husband used and really liked.The spa on site is also wonderful. We decided to get couples massages. The facility was very clean and the staff was very friendly.

On Thursday we got invited to a complimentary Managers Cocktail Party. They served free bahama mamas, appetizers from the restaurants, and had live entertainment. We also decided to visit the Casino right next to the resort Thursday. There were even dancers dressed in bohemian dance costumes that performed outside of our building! It was not very crowded and we got a free $10 credit to use on the slot machines!

Our honeymoon stay at the Grand Lucayan was better than we could have ever imagined! We would stay here again no questions asked

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alycia M
Hi Alycia,

We’re very honored that and your husband chose to stay with us during your honeymoon! I'm so happy to hear that you had a such a memorable experience!

Thank you for all the kind words and for the detailed review. I'm sure future guests will find it valuable.

Congratulations!!! And once again, thank you for staying with us.

We hope to welcome you again on your anniversary! :0)

Braintree MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed 11/7-11/12. This is a very large hotel reminiscent of the Florida hotels of the '50's. I believe it has been remodeled, still vestiges of the old hotel seem to peek through now and then. If you're the type that takes photo's of the rust spots on the plumbing etc. it may not be to your liking, but the room I had was more than adequate and clean. Everything worked. There could have been more water pressure in the shower would be my only complaint. We had a gorgeous ocean view from a large balcony. Request ocean side above the 5th floor. Lots of shops and restaurants across the street. Eat there instead of the hotel. We had the breakfast buffet at the hotel once, very good, $30 for two. Regular breakfast at Zorba's across the street was $13 for two. We had the sunday brunch which suffered from the typical brunch failure, lukewarm food like leftovers. Ate at the fine dining Churchills because we had a $100 credit through Bookit.com (Had to remind the front desk twice to include it.) Worried because of poor reviews, we none the less had an excellent meal here with professional service. Front desk operations could be slow, it seemed they had multiple paperwork requirements for each transaction. The beach was excellent. Big as it is, remodeling is going on which will double the property once complete. There were many of those beach vendors selling shells, starfish, jewelry, hair braiding, water sports, etc. Security, which was very light, could have done a better job limiting this activity. We were here for a wedding at another hotel close by and talked to a number of people who had problems at that hotel and subsequently transferred to the Lucayan. People on this island were exceptionally pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Above the 5th floor ocean side gives you a great view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pvalen
Hi Pvalen,

Thank you so much for taking the moment to share this review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us during the wedding. So glad you enjoyed the ocean view. It's certainly a crowed pleaser. It's almost impossible to take a bad picture from the balcony. :0)

I’m also very happy to hear that got to experience some of the restaurants outside of the hotel, but even happier to hear that you made time to eat at Churchill's. It's a staff favorite! :0) I do apologize if there was any inconvenience or hesitation to take the $100 credit. I will certainly look into this to see that it does not happen again.

Thank you for all the wonderful feedback. We hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Westbrook, Connecticut

pools
service
friendliness
location to Lucayan Market incl all restaurants

could be better: (all minor)
snorkeling at beach (just grass - do snorkel kayak combo tour instead)

Room Tip: Definitely choose ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jverhagen
Hi Jverhagen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.

Your friends at Grand Lucayan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Totally luxurious including swim up bar with lobster pizza, yeah its all that, hotel is directly on the soft white sandy beach... was 88 degrees, mmmm
Staff treats you exceptionally well and the prices are not bad... go visit, mon

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Adrienne C
Hi Adrienne,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! FYI: I could live off lobster pizza. :0)

Guilford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband turned 60 and I agonized all year about what to do. Travel, in my mind, is always a winner! However, he loves to lay in the sun and I like to keep moving. Living Social had a deal back in June with this property. It looked great! Beach, ocean for him, pool for me, or so I thought. I think I was in the ocean more than him; and I am a pool lover!

We were given a beautiful room on the seventh floor overlooking the grounds, harbor and ocean. The room was large and had a huge deck where you could watch the sun rise and the moon as well. Just a beautiful view. The room itself needs a little work, the walls are thin, but the view more than made up for it. Felt safe, no problem leaving belongings in room. Only real issue are the guests smoking on the balconies. No fault of the lovely staff or the hotel.
Every am enjoyed the sunrise and two pots of coffee before going down to the daily breakfast buffet. No one rushed you out of the room. Made sure to get milk from the store as none in room--just creamers.

Enjoyed the beach every day. Loved all the vendors selling their wares. The jewelry, t-shirts, coverups, starfishman, conchman. Even had my hair braided by Momma D. My local hairdresser loves the job you did, and it is still in. Don't want to take it out! The lifeguards work hard there. Lounge set up, pool duty, sand duty etc. The beach is just beautiful. Great way to tan if you can't sit still. Just floated while waving to everyone going by. No problem with crabs, stingrays or other creatures. Had no fear!

After the beach into the pool and then refreshing drinks at Hammerheads. Had the rum punch, and great bloody mary's. Bar staff is great...Edmond, Solomon, and Michael! Love you guys!

The restaurant staff is so friendly as well. Velma, Catherine, Monica and everyone else. You guys make it. Thanks again for my husband's cake. You guys are keepers!

The front desk very nice at check-in. A sweety! We loved are room! Thank you.

On getting to the hotel, they have taxis queued up right outside. No problem. Make sure you get the cabby's name/card. Just call and they will come and get you. So reliable and friendly. $30 to the hotel for the two of us including tip. A pleasure.

The only issue, and not a big one, was the Concierge desk when we tried to schedule an excursion to the National Park and kayak. Seemed like it was always full and the girl didn't try very hard at accommodating us. Seems like they rely on cruise ship people to fill it up. We tried, but no luck. So called the cabby and he brought us at 11 and picked up at 5. There was a street vendor selling water (thank God) as we forgot to grab some. Walked out through the mangroves to Gold Rock Beach where it is my understanding they filmed Pirates of the Caribbean. The beach was beautiful, complete with translucent crabs. The tide was going out so we got to see a little of the welcome mat. Just beautiful. Cab picked us up at 5 on time. It was perfect. Some things happen for a reason, I guess. It couldn't have been better!

Surprised my husband with a para sail trip on his birthday morning. It was so light and ethereal. What a way to fly. I don't think he will ever forget this!

Thank you Grand Lucayan. We enjoyed our time so much, we are coming back for Christmas with two of our children! Shhh! it's a surprise. They think they will be at Disney the whole time.

Please forgive my if I did not mention all your names...you are all wonderful! Thanks for making a difference. Can't wait to see you all again!

Splurge on the ocean view with the large balcony...it's all about the view here. Get up at sunrise...it's amazing!

Room Tip: Splurge on the ocean view...you'll be glad you did!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hicks23
Hi Hicks23,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this very sweet, and detailed review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is much appreciated.

I’m very happy you chose to celebrate your husband’s 60th birthday with us. I’m so glad our staff created a memorable experience for you both. We will certainly let Edmond, Solomon, Michael, Velma, Catherine, Monica know how much they impacted your stay! :0)

Thank you, again, for staying with us. We’re looking forward to seeing you and family next month! :)

I’m so sorry if our concierge service couldn’t be more helpful in scheduling an excursion to kayak at Lucayan National Park. Reservations can fill up quickly if we’re expecting a visit from cruise ships. For you next visit in December, I recommend scheduling in advance with our Reservations staff.

Thank you, again, for staying with us. And for writing such a kind and sweet review. We’re looking forward to seeing you and family next month! :)

Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our Carnival cruise itinerary allowed for 6 hours at Freeport. After reading tripadvisor reviews for Grand Lucayan, we decided to buy a day pass and spend the day. We took a shuttle bus from the port for $15 per person and paid $10 per person for the day pass. The investment was certainly worth the money. We enjoyed lots of wide-open space. The beach was beautifully manicured, the pools were clean and refreshing. Pool bar and restaurants were nice quality and reasonably priced. I would highly recommend it for anyone needing some time to relax away from the crowded cruise ship.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Tim K
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for spending the day at our resort. I’m so glad your visit was relaxing, and a nice break away from the cruise ship.

We hope you'll consider staying with us next time. :)

Your friends at The Grand Lucayan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,211 reviews
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!