“Beautiful Location”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Beautiful Location”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel in early November. It's an older hotel and some upgrades are in order, but it was clean and the staff was great!
We were upgraded to an ocean view on the fourth and were amazed at the gorgeous view! The beach was fabulous with soft white sand and not a stone or shell to hinder your walking. We decided to venture from the crowds and found a great spot that we had all to ourselves!
The grounds were well cared for and they even had hammocks if you wanted to relax by yourself.
There was a market place across the street for shopping and restaurants.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Grand Lucayan. It's not luxurious, by the location can't be beat!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mgrieves
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Hello Mgrieves,

We are excited to hear you had a wonderful stay!

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
Oak Island, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Hi! Last year we went on a cruise to the Bahamas and went to the Grand Lucayan Beach Resort on our day in Freeport and gave it a 5 star rating. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to go on the same cruise this year and go back to the Grand Lucayan, and we gave it 5 stars again. Easy to get there, get off the cruise ship and stand in line for the taxi to the Grand Lucayan Marketplace ($10 round trip per person), which is right across the street from the hotel. Walk across the street to the hotel and walk thru the gorgeous lobby and thru the rear glass doors to the outside (beach side). Then turn to the right and walk until you get to the Guard Shack. Or you can walk down the road until you see the sign for the casino and then walk up that alleyway to the Guard Shack. Either way is fine, I just love seeing the beautiful lobby. It is now $15 PP to use the facilities, but it's worth it. They will put wrist bands on you to show that you have paid. Beautiful pool, beautiful beach, great 12 person hot tub (about 102 degrees), great drinks at the walk up and swim up bar. They have lounge chairs and hammocks under the palm trees that you can use but you must bring your own towels from the ship. There is a little store there that you can use cash in to buy soda and snacks and bottled water and such, but if you want a mixed or frozen drink or want to eat lunch, it is a cashless bar, so you must use your credit card. I wish they took cash, but you can't have everything. We walked next door on the beach to Billie Joe's on the Beach Shack for lunch and the cheeseburgers ($9.50 for cheeseburgers and fries plate) were delicious. The resort is simply beautiful and we enjoyed ourselves again this year same as last. One thing, last year we went in July, this year was November, and they told me in November the water would be a little chilly... Well it wasn't chilly.. IT WAS COLD!!! Too cold for me! But that's not the resort's fault. And someone else might not think it was too cold, but don't say I didn't warn ya!! All in all another great visit to the resort, and maybe next year we will just fly there and stay for 3 or 4 days. I would highly recommend this resort to any cruise ship passengers, just remember to bring your towels!!!

6 Thank Dan_N_NC
Welcome back Dan_N_NC!

We are thrilled to hear you had an awesome time visiting us!! We hope you had a chance to relax in one of those hammock underneath the palms, it's truly paradise. We can't wait for you to visit us again, keep a eye out for deals on our hotel rates, we'd love to have you back!

Olive Branch, Mississippi
Reviewed 22 November 2013

After arriving at the hotel we waited until 3:30 to get into our room. Although the hotel was less than 50 per cent occupied we still had to wait. Went to the pool and the beach..... Probably 50 people tops we saw at the beach and pools the time we were here. No staff walking around asking you if you need a drink. They do have a bar by the pools. They have an infinity pool here but it is extremely small. The room once we got it was very nice. A large room with a balcony. Bathroom outdated but overall very nice. Staff at the hotel were all very nice. The people in the Bahamas are just nice. The hotel has limited places to eat. Went to eat Asian the first night. Closed. So went to the buffet and it was horrid. Chef needs to watch Food Network a little bit. Next night buffet was closed but Asian was open. The food was good here. The waitresses were not very attentive. It was a little pricey for what you received. We had breakfast about two blocks from the hotel. There is an assortment of restaurants and shops there. That is the place to go for some good food here. Overall we were very dissatisfied with this resort. We have traveled extensively to Mexico and the Dominican. This place just doesn't stack up. Would not go back to this resort.

3 Thank GJTravel
Hi GJTravel,

I'm happy to hear our staff was welcoming and that you liked your room! I'm so sorry to hear you had to wait a long time at check-in, we try our best to have a smooth check-in for every guest. Most of our guests tell us how much they enjoy the buffet, I'm sorry this wasn't the case during your visit. I am pleased to hear you had a good meal at the Asian restaurant although the service wasn't up to your standards. If there is anything we can do please feel free to contact us at info@grandlucayan.com

Reviewed 22 November 2013

This resort was very large, but only half of it was used because it was the slow season (November). There was an amazing infinity pool, but the bar was not opened on that side, so it was very quiet. We went for our friend's wedding. The resort was not very good at accommodating such a large group at dinner (30-40 people) and the servers at the italian restaurant were somewhat rude. The front desk personnel were nice, and everyone seemed to say hello when they walked by. I thought the service was good, and the entire resort including the rooms was very clean. The beach was by far the best part. The sand was so soft and the water was beautiful. There was a bit of a current, but nothing too extreme. The one thing that I found annoying was that weather you opt for the all inclusive package or not you need to sign every time you order a drink or buy anything. Also, they automatically include gratuity on everything. It was convenient that port Lucaya was directly across the street and we partied there every night, and there were a ton of food options over there. I felt very safe there as well. I enjoyed the Bahamian people they were all very welcoming.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view room, opt for a room on level 6 or higher
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jerseylili
Hi Jerseylili,

We are happy to hear you had a beautiful time while staying with us! We hope everyone at the wedding enjoyed themselves too! I want to apologize if the service at the restaurant was anything less than exceptional. Also, I'm sorry for any confusion with the all inclusive, we like to make sure you are always aware of any charges added to your bill. We hope you visit us again sometime. :)

san antonio tx
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and i went here for our ten year anniversary over august 31.  Its taken me this long to write the review because it was so bad I don't even want to think about it long enough to write a review.

Here are the issues.
1.  Check in/ out staff were slow and could not have been less helpful.  Really all of the staff needed additional customer service training.
2.  I booked an "amazing ocean view room" from their website, what I got was a view of a palm tree on the third floor, so thick you could not see the ocean.
3.  Room is smelled of BO, complaints were answered with fragrance, which smelled like flowery BO
4.  I was suppose to be charged 580 but instead I was charged 738 at checkout.  I took my bill to the counter and it took 87 minutes (I timed it because I was so disgusted at this point) to somewhat resolve this problem.  TAKE YOUR RESERVATION PRINT OFF WITH YOU IF YOU GO.  I had to argue continuously to get someone to finally look at the print off of their website to agree that I had been overcharged.  Even then they would not fix it, I made them write on my paper they would not charge more than 580 but they would not change it in the computer.
5.  Make sure if your room comes with a resort credit you print off any restrictions prior to getting there.  This part was almost funny, the check out lady studied our charges and then picked out the two places we did not eat and told us our credit was only good at those places.  The funny part was when I pulled out a screen shot from my booking that said the credit was good resort wide.
6.  Infinity pool is nice but get ready to share it with many many cruise ship passengers,  the resort caters to cruise ships and sells day passes, its like a cattle call when they show up around 9am
7.  Room is like a bad, dated holiday inn
8.  The bar at the pool ran out of rum?????  Its the bahamas, they can run out of food, saltwater, but not rum?  I don't even drink much but found this unacceptable.

The only positives were, you are at the bahamas and not work, and the breakfast buffet at the main restaurant.

This part isn't about the resort but be sure to check what is going to be open at the market for the time of year you go, some of the nice places close for a month around the time we were there.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere or above the third floor, third floor all you see is palm foliage, wear slippers so you...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jdoss
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hello jdoss,

First off, thank you for your feedback! I'm so sorry to hear that check-in was not smooth because of the amount of guest checking in at the same time. And the confusion of your charges at check-out.
I also wanted to address the issues with the room. From what you've described that does not reach our standards and we will be making sure this does not happen again.

Please feel free to follow up with us at info@grandlucayan.com.

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan :)
Benicia, California
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband purchased a trip for our second honeymoon! It was a grand is it - we were greeted,cared for and attended to by friendly staff who went out of their way to accommodate us and ensure our visit was special and it was. We fell in love with the Caribbean because of the staff attitude! After spending hours just floating in the ocean, enjoying the fine dining and lounging poolside, it was the perfect refresher. We plan to come back and bring our entire family.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Honey H
Hi Honey H!

We are thrilled to hear about your lovely honeymoon and we appreciate your kind words. We look forward to showing the rest of your family a grand time! Keep a look out for deals. ;)

Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights. If you want a quick get away with great location this place in my opinion has it all. Beach, shopping, Marina, Entertainment, food, all within minutes of Hotel. The Hotel was clean but it is an older place, grounds were kept beautiful. We had an issue with deal that we got on-line compared to actual payment there was $100 difference, a lot of hotel charges that were not included on the site. Also we had conformation of king bed Ocean View, we got Ocean View two double beds, we were told Hotel does not confirm what bed you will get. Over all I would never pay full price for this place but if there is a deal of under $140 then worth it for Ocean View. Location and grounds are great, clean room, nice quiet vacation quick getaway.

Room Tip: Well 5th or 6th floor, I think around rm# 20-30. I had rm# 58 off from centre of building, but our r...
1 Thank Peter P
Hi Peter P.,

We appreciate your feedback and are happy you enjoyed your stay! I apologize for the confusion of the hotel charges and bed size. Thank you again and keep an eye out for our deals we have them running all the time. :)