“wait for room”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I had to wait 7 hr. to get a room. The cruise ship took us over to Lucaya at 9:00 a.m..At 4:30 p.m. finally got the room. Had to wait 45 min. to get bages to the room. On my bages the top handle was riped off.( The room was very nice, great view. )

Mary

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mary4755
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Hello Mary4755,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I'd like to apologize for the wait you received at check-in. Our goal is to quickly have our guest checked-in and settled in their rooms. I'm sorry you did not experience that kind of service. I'm also so sorry that your bag handle was damaged at some point, if you'd like to discuss this further with us, please e-mail us at info@grandlucayan.com.

- Grand Lucayan

Reviewed 9 January 2014

This was the first non-all-inclusive trip took so I was a little nervous about spending money. Turns out, rightfully so! This hotel nickels and dimes you to death. For example, a 6 oz glass of cheapo white wine from the pool bar is $12 with an additional 15% tip already added on, PLUS a line to add an additional tip if you want to. I didn't catch the automatic 15% after having already given a couple of extra tips....If you drink I highly recommend running across the street to the liquor store where you can buy a very nice bottle of white wine for $9. Then, each morning I would get a Latte and bowl of fruit for breakfast - $16!! Again, go across the street for anything food or drink.

The beach is awesome - gorgeous sand, and you can walk a little ways, but if you want to walk a long ways you will need to plan on navigating over lots of rocks and getting wet - especially if it's high tide. The water is perfectly clear blue.

The room was fine, but the bathtub was very outdated (1970's?) and not big enough for any adult unless you are 4 ft tall. It also doesn't have a shower head that detaches which I prefer.

I HIGHLY recommend the Cave Tour that the hotel offers....you will see the most beautiful beach in existence (Gold Rock Beach). I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I walked over the trail and saw it for the first time. We only got an hour there, but I will go back to Freeport JUST to go to that beach for the whole trip.

The phone in the room: Under the section that says "Instructions" ; for room-to-room it says, "see instructions for room-to-room".....yes, this was under "instructions".

No mini-fridge, but I imagine if there was anything in it would be 10 times the price that it would be outside of the room. VERY comfortable bed and I slept great every night with no issues whatsoever. Room was always cleaned in a timely manner and the service was very good for the most part.

So, I do recommend going there if you can get a good deal (under $150/night) and plan on eating and drinking outside of the hotel. There's a bunch of awesome shops, bars, and restaurants right across the street. And then if you walk to the right once entering the beach there is a small (shack) restaurant called Salty's (I think?). The Conch salad (ceviche) is TO-DIE-FOR, as are the pina colada's.

Room Tip: Ask for a penthouse and/or ocean view - I got one but don't think I paid extra for it. I had a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Jlynn444

Hello Jlynn444,

Thank you for rating us on Trip Advisor. We're overjoyed to hear you had an awesome experience exploring the beautiful natural beaches of the Bahamas. We couldn't agree more, the Cave Tour is one of our favorites. I'm so sorry our bathroom was a bit outdated. We currently are updating our hotel and the detachable shower head is a great idea! Otherwise, we are happy you found the room very comfortable and nicely maintained. We'd love to have you back, keep an eye out on our website for special offers! Thanks again, we'll take your feedback into consideration.

-Your Friends at the Grand Lucayan

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We found this gorgeous resort fairly busy with visitors for the time of year, but so large that there was plenty of space to find our own spot(s) on the beach & lounging by the infinity pool & hot tub on the spa end of the resort. Yoga by the beach with Kim was absolutely delightful! The sundry shop next to Plantation Cafe takes cash & is less expensive with better selection than the shops at the marketplace across the street. We enjoyed our Marina-view room on the 8th floor - it was not as busy as oceanfront but still provided gorgeous scenery. Nice stay and would easily go there again!

Room Tip: Marina room views are less busy than ocean front & provide great scenery - much better value for...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CJ R

Hello CJ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your vacation and took advantage of Kim's Yoga on the beach, isn't she great! The view of the Marina, I agree is just lovely, it's peaceful and you get a nice view of the sunset. We can't wait for you to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

My wife and I visited for New Years and were underwhelmed. The check in line was literally 30 minutes long and there were only 3 people ahead of us. When we got to our room we discovered twin beds instead of the king bed we requested. When I asked at the front desk they stated the king bed was only a request, not a guarantee. The views are beautiful and the pools clean. The room was nice although it took 10 minutes for the shower to drain. The only good food we found were at Churchills, China Beach, Flying Fish and Agave. We also ate at Iries, Zorbas, After Deck and China Grill of which were all average or below average and in each case overpriced. Everywhere except Churchills and Flying Fish have TERRIBLE service, this includes bars, restaurants and the general service at the resort. There is a 15% gratuity added to all bills on and around the resort so I suppose they do not feel they need to do anymore than the bare minimum. The best thing about the island is the proximity to Florida, so it is easily accessible. We did have fun on NYE seeing the Temptations but for some reason we were forced to buy drinks at one stand and get them at another, it reminded me of a state fair. We have traveled to many islands in the Caribbean and feel there are much better places to visit for the cost. I would recommend for the amount of money visiting a better island or to save a few bucks you can get the same experience as this island but stay in Miami.

Room Tip: The ocean view is much better than the island view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jim H

Hi Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to write us on TripAdvisor. I'd like to apologize for the confusion at the front desk, we try our best to fulfill all room requests. Also, I'm sorry the shower did not drain quickly, if you'd like please e-mail us at info@grandlucayan.com. We like every issue to be resolved.
We are so happy to hear you liked the beautiful views, pools and some of the restaurants. I'm sorry you didn't find the restaurants across the street at the Marketplace enjoyable. Also, I'm sorry you didn't find our New Years Eve celebration exciting. Most of our guest really enjoy when the Temptations preform. Thank you again for your feedback, we appreciate it.

- Grand Lucayan

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Great place right on the beach with a balcony! Beautiful view! Clean and spacious. Comfortable bed. The ocean water was a little cool and choppy. Lost a Go Pro in the water. Hope someone finds and enjoys it!

Room Tip: No meals included. Food a little expensive.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank D A

Hello D A,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the awesome oceanfront views and felt cozy in your bed. I'm sorry to hear you lost your Go Pro in the water. If you want to check up if it somehow washed ashore, e-mail us at info@grandlucayan.com. We'd love for you to stay with us again!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We arrived at Grand Lucayan on Dec. 28th and were greeted by warm, friendly staff. The check-in process was a bit long but worth it! Our room was clean and with a great view. The pools and beach are magnificent! The restaurants were all very good. We had a wonderful time and had a blast New Years Eve in Count Basie Square with the band and fireworks! Will I be back to this resort? ABSOLUTELY!

Room Tip: The Ocean view Is gorgeous! High floor!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MichelleQWescosville

Hello Michelle,

Thank you so much for such a raving review! We are happy to hear you rang in the New Year with us and had a wonderful vacation enjoying the beach and our restaurants. We can't wait for you to visit us again! Have a great New Year!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband attended a well run conference at Grand Lacayan. The food for two conference dinners was very good. The grounds are beautiful and extremely clean. Spend the extra money to have an ocean view room with a balcony ... The beach and the numerous pools are excellent. The breakfast buffet was good. Bring cash to spend at the Port Village across the street ...

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank BubbieZay

Hi BubbieZay,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are so thrilled to hear you had a great time and enjoyed the food served at the conferences. You made a wise choice to upgrade to a ocean view room, the sunrise in the morning is beautiful! Thanks again, we hope you can find the time to visit us again!

- Your Friends at the Grand Lucayan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!