“GO FOR THE BEACH and R & R!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Ontario
“GO FOR THE BEACH and R & R!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

The beach is OUTSTANDING -- it has the softest creamy yellow sand that never gets hot underfoot...warm turquoise water...to this winter-weary soul, it was heaven!

Accomodations: Not fancy, but rooms are large and clean -- they could use an update, but great for the price -- GET AN OCEAN VIEW -- (5th floor and above so you can see over the plentiful palm trees).
You WILL use your large, private balcony -- its so nice to sit out there with your morning coffee or evening cocktails!
We even took our portable DVD player out to the balcony and watched a movie under the stars! And there was plenty of room for me to do my morning exercises on the balcony in the sweet ocean air! If you're a morning person, You'll enjoy watching the gorgeous sunrises!
They also have Villas at one end of the resort that look gorgeous.

We've been there twice -- the first time to Reef Village right beside Grand Lucayan -- they were sister properties then and shared all facilities, but sadly the Reef is a "Memories" resort now, and attracts a young, party-type crowd. Thankfully, they have done a good job separating the two properties, minimizing guest crossovers.

You can still walk the whole length of the beach (I think it's a couple of miles) -- once you go past Memories, the beach is seriously practically deserted -- houses are hidden well back from the water and you'll only come across 1 condo complex...terrific for a fitness run or a romantic stroll!
The stretch of beach directly in front of Grand Lucayan is breathtaking, and we were there in March just before March Break, and it was never crowded! The pools were very well maintained, but we never used them, as the ocean was so warm and inviting!

The dining can be confusing, even if, like us, you don't do all inclusive, but they do publish which retaurants are open on which days. As other reviewers have noted, there are lots of restaurants in the Lucayan Market just behind the resort. Notably we enjoyed the restaurant on the Marina at the Pelican Bay resort.

There is a small liquor store in the Marketplace for beer wine and spirits. Try the Caribbean beer -- my husband loved the Kalik light with lime!

But back to Grand Lucayan:
Breakfasts were a fabulous buffet feast at Willy Broadleaf -- terrific value, and everything you could imagine. If you have dietary issues, call the resort ahead of time -- they are so helpful!
Their own Iries pub is delicious -- the Iries fine dining part isn't open any more, much to our disappointment. China Beach has yummy Sweet Potato Fries for a fun snack.

They also have a café if you want a specialty coffee, but the coffee in the room is really good!

There is a convenience store right on the property -- it looks small, but has so much you might need -- I got a terrible cough, and they even had the cough syrup I usually have to have a prescription for at home! You can also buy snacks there...just expect all food in Port Lucaya to be fairly expensive.

The resort has a lovely fitness centre, and they provided many free classes -- we enjoyed Kim's Meditation classes! She also does Yoga on the beach, which regretably I didn't have a chance to do. Our friend had a lovely massage at the spa where they offer a variety of treatments.

I think it's a great choice for some peaceful R & R -- there are lots of activities if you wish to partake, but I think it really excels if you want some "alone" time, or privacy with friends or family.

The grounds are so well maintained and beautifully manicured -- I never saw garbage lying around in all the time we were there. It's very lush and tropical looking.

Most of the staff are so friendly and helpful -- especially the housekeeping staff, and the breakfast buffet staff at Willy Broadleaf!

Customer service is great -- one morning there was a very unpleasant odour in our hallway -- I telephoned guest services, and then went out for a swim -- when I came back, they had taken care of it already! I also asked for an extra blanket one night and it arrived in less than 5 minutes!

Also, since our WestJet Package had a late flight out -- they were able to let us stay in our room a little later than usual, and they happily locked up our luggage so we could still enjoy the beach and facilities until the transfer arrived in the late afternoon!

If you are going to Freeport, I don't think you could find a nicer place than the Grand Lucayan.

Room Tip: OCEAN VIEW!!!! 5th floor and above to see the ocean over the lush palm trees! Away from ice machin...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank FenderandGibson
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hello FenderandGibson,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you had such a wonderful time and took advantage of the beautiful ocean view room and the balcony. Also, I'm glad you got a chance to partake in Kim's mediation class. Next time you visit you'll have to participate in beach yoga, you'll love it! Overall, thank you again so much for your kind words, I really appreciate your feedback.

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,043)
Mississauga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Overall it’s a nice resort. Found it to be slightly out-dated (i.e. bathroom). The foods at the various buffets were fairly average. Churchill’s wasn't too impressive. The staff was very friendly; Gave great advice for local exploring ideas. Half of the resort wasn't open. Apparently only opened up when cruise ships arrived. The service was semi-slow. Only elevator access, no stairs unless emergency. Being on an all-inclusive play was great, except that you see all these items that are not included and it’s disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't get island view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsVista
Hello MsVista,

Thanks for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. I'm so happy you had a nice time and our staff was friendly and helpful at suggesting local places to explore. I appreciate your feedback about our rooms, since we are always looking to improve the resort.

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Service
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Really disappointing stay and at check out they presented us with a bill for an additional $200 in fees- energy fee, resort fee, facilities fee, taxes, etc. Each surcharge is calculated per person per day. SO when you add it all up, it comes out to over $200!
Nice Island and friendly locals but for some reason the staff at this establishment are very rude.
The pools are gorgeous but freezing. They really should be heated. During most of our stay, everyone would attempt to wade in but really never stayed in the water too long. This place seriously needs to consider investing in heaters for the pools. The island also had multiple brush fires during our stay and all the rooms were engulfed with horrible smoke. The staff barely offered an apology, let alone any suggestions that would make our stay more comfortable.

Really not worth the $$ or the aggravation. I would recommend, Paradise Island or Nassau instead. Read the reviews carefully- your money is better spent elsewhere.

Room Tip: Oceanview is the only room worth it.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank m7917
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Hi m7917,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. I'm so sorry that you had to experience a brush fire on the island during your stay and that you felt our staff was not of much assistance. Our goal is always to make sure our guests are comfortable at all times, especially during acts of mother nature. I'd also like to apologize for any confusion you had at check out about your bill. If you booked through our website we disclose all fees. If you booked online through a travel engine, this is usually prepaid. If you'd like to discuss more about your bill, feel free to e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Overall, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

First of all, experience was great and I would rebook there. Good mix of people and the spring breakers were there but did not bother us too much as the property is large and you can move/dodge them! Location is wonderful as it's a short 5min walk to Port Lucaya Marketplace for additional restaurants and shops. We ate a few restaurants on the resort property and will leave separate reviews - for the most part the food was ok to great but the service was super slow. Drink service at the bars was good. Pay by room number was convenient. Beach private and nice but not a lot of shade/umbrellas, but, tons of shade near the pool. Did not go in the pool.
Room was a bit outdated in the bathroom, especially. Chipped tile, permanent stains and stuff like that. Mattress was worn and the sheets kept slipping off (minor gripe as i understand why housekeeping no longer uses fitted sheets, but i do not want to keep fixing the sheets. Sometimes in the night ended up touching the mattress- not ideal) Carpet/decor was fine. It was nice to have a balcony for fresh ocean air.
All in all, good experience and felt it earned 4 stars because of the resort atmosphere, location, proximity to the beach, etc. But wish the rooms were nicer. Not a big deal if you are never in the room.

Hello Kristin,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so glad you had a great time enjoying the beach and the atmosphere of the Bahamas. I appreciate your feedback about our rooms as we are always looking for ways to improve. I hope to see you back again soon!

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed for 2 wks which was very unusual since most visitors stayed less than a wk, especially those on the cruise ships. We did not choose the all-inclusive option and glad we didn't. Everyone we spoke with who did found it very stressful, constantly arguing with staff in regards to what is/is not included ie) menu items at the restaurants.

Hotel:
Rooms were dated but spacious, clean, comfy beds & large balcony. Beautiful oceanview from 6th flr. Beach was gorgeous; never too crowded. Shallow for about 100ft from the beach. The water was warmer in the ocean compared to the unheated pools. Lanai suites area was nice & quiet with lots of chairs but no services. Fitness facility was large with dated equipment but it did the job. Exercise classes (spinning, core training, yoga) offered daily. Yoga on the beach with Kim was wonderful! Sophia at Senses Spa (where you sign in to use the gym) was super friendly & helpful. Hotel staff was generally friendly and helpful with the exception of a few. The person who disappointed me the most was the gal who checked us out. There was no eye contact and the only question she asked me was " Is everything on your bill correct"? Given we stayed for 2 wks, she wasn't interested in how our stay was. The most endearing, sweet and hard-working person who we saw almost daily (with the exception of her days off) was Laverne, our housekeeper. The only restaurant we ate at was Willie Broadleaf's breakfast buffet ($13.25 excl. taxes). If you have been to other all-inclusive breakfast buffets, this one only had the basics. The best item was the coconut french toast...everyone writes about this and now I know why. The restaurants on the resort are open with limited hours. They really need to have a daily lunch and dinner buffet.

Attractions:
1) International Bazaar - do not go, not worth it, huge disappointment. Basically empty with dilapidated buildings.
2) Downtown - interesting but not what you would expect for a downtown.
3) Lucayan National Park - entrance fee $5 (adults) $3 (children 5-12yrs). Go only if you are really bored. Long way to travel for ~ 1hr "adventure". If you have been to other national parks, this one will disappoint. Highlights: the cave and the beach. If you are staying at this resort, the beach is nicer here.
4) Port Lucaya Marketplace - touristy with many restaurant choices but no real "bahamian" restaurant choice. Good food & service at Zorba's, Agave and Molly Malone's. When staying for 2wks, restaurant choices are limited.
5) Hotel fish fry every Wed. for $24.99 (excl. tax). The food was good along with the entertainment. Unfortunately, the night we went, the fried snapper was REALLY fishy.
6) Local fish fry on Taino Beach every Wed (by taxi $6/person). True Bahamian experience where all the restaurants here are opened. A great gathering for locals and now tourists. Dancing on the beach by the Outrigger Restaurant.
7) Billy Joe's on the Beach (by Memories) - a great place for fresh conch and wicked Bahama Mama's.
8) Sire's Restaurant - by the International Bazaar serves great Bahamian cuisine.

Beware: For those who don't like deep fried food...there's lots of this in the Bahamas.

If you need groceries, another disappointment. We found Solomon's (about a ½hr walk from the resort) and Butler Food World (downtown). Groceries are expensive since everything is imported. The quality of produce was disappointing and limited. Also, these places run out of the basics (milk, bread, produce) quickly since food delivery to the island is limited.

We found the locals very friendly and helpful. The island reminded me of Puerto Vallarta 25yrs ago, when tourism was still fairly new to them. Mexico has done an amazing job marketing tourism and I truly think the Bahamas should take a few lessons from the Mexicans in this area.

Room Tip: Anything higher than the 5th floor, oceanview.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank WinterpegGetaways
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hi WinterpegGetaways,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to read you had a good experience on your nice 2 week long vacation. Sounds like you really took advantage of exploring the island. :-)

First off, I couldn't agree more, the ocean view rooms are beautiful and a great room choice. I'm sorry that you didn't receive a warm check-out from the front desk staff member but, I'm so thankful for your kind words about Kim, Sophia and Laverne. I'm happy you enjoyed yoga on the beach, the spa and our coconut french toast! ;-) Overall, thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I hope you can visit us again sometime.

Crozet, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We went to Churchill's restaurant for our 20th anniversary celebration and Cordell and Felicia made it a special experience. The food was excellent and the service, top notch. We had such a nice time. They even dedicated a song to our anniversary. We couldn't have asked for better food or service. Thank you for making our anniversary day memorable.

Hello LHig2014,

Congratulations again on your 20th Anniversary!! That's so exciting and I'm so happy you had a wonderful celebration dinner at Churchills. Thank you so much for your kind words about Cordell and Felicia. It's truly our pleasure to make your special day one to remember! I hope you will visit us again soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I have never written a review in trip advisor but I thought this time would be helpful for people willing to book in this hotel.

I just checked out and I thought it was a good moment to write down my opinion about the resort. My boyfriend and I spent 5 nights and some things were disapointing.

The first one and maybe the worst is the arrival. Everyone coming from the express ferry, not just us, had to wait for 3 to 4 hours for the room to be ready and clean. Staff at reception are so used to it that it is useless to complain. It is definitely the worst welcome I have ever had in a hotel that I already payed in advanced. Not even to mention that no concierge is there to help you with your luggage.

Secondly, the hotel seems to have an agreement with the balearia express ferry so many one-day tourists spend the day in the hotel facilities. We were really unlucky because it was spring break and all of them were looking for alochol & party and making noise.

That leads me to the third point: the noise. Not only that the music in the pool, beach, bars and restaurants is extremly high but also the nightlife in the property next door is absolutely disturbing. Of course at 5am everybody coming from those discoteques wake you up with no consideration at all.

Point number 4 is about the hotel service. We were absolutely surprised by their rude manners and careless attention. From house keeping, waitresses, general staff to even maintainance staff were not gentle at all at any point. Even if they were receiving tips...no motivation was shown from their side.

The hotel in general is quite well maintained although a renovation would clearly help. Although rooms are quite spacious, rugs and furniture look a bit too old. I would say the value of the money for the quality of the facilities is unbalanced.

Restaurants and bars are fine, nothing exceptional, but the breakfast buffet is good. The market place just behind the hotel is a good alternative.

Finally as a suggestion, go out of the hotel, rent a car and visit the national park, taino beach and fortuna beach. If you have time, have dinner at Pier 1 Restaurant at the Harbour. If you book at 6.30 pm you will enjoy the sunset while the sharks are fed by the restaurant staff at 7pm.It is an amazing experience.

Well, I think thats all I had in mind to share with you and hopefully be of help to you guys!!

Eugenia (28) from Barcelona, Spain

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Eugin C
Hello Eugin,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. First off, I'm sorry you experienced a long wait to be checked-in to your room, we do have bell boys but when ferries arrive it is sometimes very difficult to assist everyone immediately. Also, I'd like to apologize that you thought our staff came off as careless. I normally receive nice comments from our guest about our housekeeping, maintenance and general staff. Lastly, I'm happy that you found some time explore the island and all its beauty. Eugin, I really appreciate your feedback and will take many points into consideration.

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!