“PUBIC HAIR ALL OVER BED”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We went to the Grand Lucayan on Grand Bahama Island a few weeks ago for our Honeymoon through Celebrations Cruises, which is awful as well. LUCKILY, 200-300 DARK BROWN/BLACK VISIBLE PUBIC HAIRS ALL OVER THE SHEET'S, awaited us vs a bottle of Champagne for example, in one of the NICE OCEAN VIEW ROOMS!!!! It was beyond disgusting to say the least & what was offered... after accusing myself, a White/Blonde haired bride & the Blondish/Red haired groom...TO CHANGE THE SHEETS!!! SERIOUSLY?? After vomiting twice from it & waiting hrs trying to peek at the ocean through the 1/2 inch hole over the pool, restaurants, 1/2 roofed public toilets you DO have a clear view into, bar & between the abundance of palm trees, attempting to iron a $200 DKNY shirt in front of them, with an Iron that left 10+ lovely burnt brown pieces from it's last use melted into it which they resistantly & unsuccessfully washed & returned at CHECK OUT & missed our dinner reservations they wouldn't re-book or pay for they as kindly as a prison warden, ALLOWED us to change rooms! When we unreasonably asked for late check out the maid removed the do not disturb 4 times as we packed & we finally said she could start cleaning only to bring FOUR other employees in, including the "head of housekeeping" (clearly it's pertinent to head a PUBIC DISPERSAL DEPT.!), who's also in charge of LITERALLY REOPENING GUESTS LUGGAGE & RUMMAGING THROUGH while they are in the other room & ACCUSING THEM OF STEALING TOWELS, I HAD TO PROVE THE DIFFERENT DESIGNS! Please enjoy the picture's & I'd recommend a tent instead of here!

8  Thank Nancy K
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Hello Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on TripAdvisor. First off, I'm so sad to hear you did not enjoy your stay at the Grand Lucayan. From the beginning it was our goal to improve your experience by upgrading your room to an Ocean View Suite. Secondly, I'm sorry that you felt like our housekeeping staff accused you of stealing towels. It is their responsibility to report how many towels are placed in each room before your arrival to ensure you receive a fresh clean towels daily. If you'd like to follow up with me on any of the concerns you brought up please e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Thank you again for reaching out.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,031)

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I went to this resort from March 9-March 14th, and it was the best week of my life, hands down. I am a senior in college and went with 10 other women in my sorority. We were looking for a more laid back environment, not the typical college spring break with tons of loud people, partying, etc. This resort was everything I could have imagined and more. The staff were very friendly, for the most part, and the resort property was beautiful. The beaches were lovely, the pools and hot tubs, amenities, gym, spa, etc. were absolutely wonderful. We chose to do the all-inclusive option so that we didn't have to worry about splitting checks, carrying money around the pool area, etc. and it was the best decision we've ever made. The food on the resort was amazing, I can highly recommend the China Beach grill that is poolside on the resort. I can only hope that I will have the opportunity to return to this beautiful resort, and visit some of the great staff we met while there - Specifically Catherine, Michael, and Taina (who all work at the restaurants/bars outside).

Bottom line: I would recommend this resort to anyone and everyone. I am hoping to return with my family sometime in the future.

For those people concerned about the spring breakers: we were one of the only spring break groups there; the resort was not loud and it was not dirty and trashy; it was perfect, and not many college kids there at all.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view if possible.... one of our groups of girls was just looking over the dumpsters...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Grand L, Public Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Hi VJohnson92,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to hear you and your sisters had such a wonderful Spring Break! Thank you for your kind words about our staff, especially Catherine, Michael, and Taina. Overall, I'm so glad you found time to relax and enjoy your vacation. I look forward to your next visit! Keep an eye out on our website for special offers!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed March 20-25...7th floor and above gets you above the palm trees to see the ocean. Honestly, about the only complaint I had about the hotel itself was the pool was COLD. It was not pleasant WHATSOEVER. Beach was nice, but I was disappointed in that there were no shells. Not harassed on beach by peddlers, in fact, saw very few. Count Basie Square was right across the street from hotel for straw markets, bars, restaurants and entertainment in the center of the square Fri and Sat night. Food was not spectacular anywhere EXCEPT "Agave" Mexican restaurant. EXCELLENT BURRITO GRANDE !!!! Servers at all restaurants were not very friendly and did NOT offer us a drink past the first one we got from them. 15% grat added on all bills at all restaurants. Probably why they didn't offer us any drinks because they didn't have to work for their tip. I do recommend going to the Pier Restaurant and see the shark feeding right over the balcony of your table, but MAKE RESERVATIONS !!!! Table 317 is right in the middle of the deck and the BEST table. Ocean water is not real warm either at this time of year, but you get used to it. Wasn't as COLD AS THE POOL !!! Didn't go in hot tub, but it looked nice and people were enjoying it. Several hammocks, which were nice ! Housekeeping was prompt and nice. The room was a tad bit dated but not bad. You must wear your wrist ID plastic bracelet at all times or the security WILL come up to you and ask you to put it on. It's nice to know they are keeping freeloaders out of the hotel grounds! China grill was nice to have onsight. Cheeseburger and fries were very good. Conch fritters we tried at an off-site restaurant were just like hushpuppies. Not good at all. Guest Services was extremely friendly. There were jet skis and parasailing and banana boat, glass bottom boat activities right on the beach near the hotel. Memories hotel was right next to Grand Lucayan. I would NOT stay there as it is only two floors high and was not NEARLY close to being as nice as Grand Lucayan. If you go to this area, I would highly recommend ONLY staying at Grand Lucayan, as you will not be disappointed and it is far better than anything else nearby. Also, if you don't rent a car, which we did not, we had the BEST taxi driver EVER. You should definitely use him. He is a retired professional engineer doing this for extra income and to keep him busy, his wife is a nurse for 45+ years and we felt extremely safe with him and he took us all around the island for practically nothing, by far, least expensive taxi driver. His name is George Moncur and his local number in Grand Bahama Island is 242-727-6811 and we asked his permission to post his number! :) He is the owner of Montours Transport. Do yourself a favor if you need a taxi and only use him, he will not rip you off and he shows you around the island for a small price. He took us all over for $27.00, and we gave him a $50 and told him to keep it ! His van has A/C also. Pelican Bay is also a nice restaurant overlooking the harbor, which is right across the street from hotel. The casino is on the grounds of hotel also. Pretty loose slots. I won $27.00 on a nickel slot machine.

Room Tip: 7th floor or above so you get over the palm trees to see the ocean.
4  Thank gracenastold

Hello gracenastold,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! First off, I'm so happy you liked your ocean view room and received friendly services from our housekeeping and guest services staff. Although, I am so sorry you found the pool to be cold. Overall, it sounds like you had a great experience exploring the island, meeting George your taxi driver and dining at Pier Restaurant. On behalf of the other restaurants you tried around the island I'm sorry you didn't receive top notch service, but I'm glad you liked our restaurant China Grill, especially the cheeseburger! Lastly, thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed at the Grand Lucayan January 16-30, did not book this hotel but rather inherited it as the neighboring hotel was not ready. Sorry it took so long to write this review.
Good: Check-in was painless and very organized, everyone was nice ad luggage got to the room quickly and efficiently. Rooms are OK but outdated. With an ocean view, you will be very happy, as the hotel is close to the ocean, and very close, which makes the views amazing. The beach is white sand, and always cool, with the ocean being crystal clear.
There is one main buffet, offering breakfast and supper. Breakfast always has lots to eat, and made to order eggs(or egg whites) and omelets if you want. Supper has anywhere from 104 separate stations with a variety of food, however if the hotel isn't busy, it's usually only one station open.
There are 2 A la carte restaurants, including an Asian cuisine which is good, and Churchill's. For those of you that have 3 hours to wait, and enjoy sampling bite size cuisine, you will love this. It's premise is obviously based on expensive taste, with small quantities. Unfortunately with the look and feel of the restaurant, the service was ohh, some would say brutal.
The China Grill outside offers pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs etc, and always has something for everyone. Plantation cafe offers sandwiches, Gatorade, chips, cookies with the all-inclusive package (not water though.. that you get to pay for).
Bad:
The group I traveled with enjoyed talking with everyone, and tipping, especially to those that deserve it. The hotel adds a 15% gratuity on every bill. That of course does not matter if you are all-inclusive, however you get to sign for every single drink you order (pop/or alcoholic), and get to see that every single time. After 2 weeks, I must have had a hundred or more receipts. The staff in general, which I hate to describe "in general" however the majority were not willing to go above and beyond. Some staff, which were outstanding, including Gerad(Barry), Delphine, Thelma. Unfortunately there were occasions at the buffet we had nobody approach us at all during dinner, and could not get a drink.
With all of that being said, I want to stress to everyone, this hotel is not an all-inclusive hotel. This hotel offers an all-inclusive meal replacement. What's the difference?? Well, when you go to dinner, you can see what items you're allowed to pick off the menu, and what items you are not (usually indicated by an *). It's really hit and miss as to what you can and can't eat. As mentioned Gatorade, vitamin water, cans of pop. alcoholic beverages all included, but the bottle of water next to it is not. Lobser salad included, but items cheaper are not.
On a final note, the island is beautiful, and the cabs are very cheap (use them instead of the busses offered by your travel company, way cheaper, and better.. they will wait for you to pick you up). The management of the Grand Lucayan are receptive to your concerns. We had communication with Carmel Churchill over some of the issues, and although not everything can be fixed in a day, the hotel really did try to rectify some of the bigger issues. Hopefully they can fix some of the disgruntled staff, or at least make them pretend a bit better. I gave the hotel a 3/5 as the views are simply amazing, and the people in Freeport outside the resort, and the great ones we met at the resort, are simply fantastic. I would suggest talking to Charles in a blue shirt on the beach, he'll hook you up with some amazing tours of the island.

Room Tip: Pick an ocean view, on a higher floor above the trees. Views are amazing.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Oilerfan74
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hello Oilerfan74,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor, I really appreciate all your feedback. First off, thank you for being so understanding that we are not an all-inclusive resort but we're so happy you decided to stay with us because your original booking at Memories was not yet open. I'm so happy you really enjoyed the ocean view room, it's a real treat in the mornings seeing the sunrise! I'm also glad you enjoyed the buffets and other restaurants at the resort. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, Barry, Delphine and Thelma. I'm so sorry you couldn't say the same about some others and had difficulty ordering a beverage at Willy Broadleaf. Again thank you for your comments I really appreciate it.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We spent 1week at this resort..... We chose all-inclusive vacation....having gone to many all-inclusive vacations....Grand Lucayan needs to do some homework...we felt like second class citizen...when the servers noticed our yellow wristbands we were overlooked....they would refill drinks,take away dirty plates of paying customers and go right past us... We always left a tip although 15 per cent was added to our tab..... churchills restaurant .... $60 PER PERSON surcharge 120.00 plus the cost they charge the hotel another 100.00 ... The meal is definitely not worth 220.00....be upfront and post it before entering the restaurant....this hotel needs to be bought out by a chain.....Riu, Iberostar,..... We paid good money for this all- inclusive and would not recommend it.... Very disappointing....although beautiful grounds!

5  Thank franklin103

Hi franklin103,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. I'm so sorry you felt that you received bad service at Churchills. The service you described does not meet our expectations and I regret you had to experience that. Also, I'd like to apologize if you were confused about the bill at Chuchills. Our prices for each dish are listed on our menu and on our website. If you'd like to discuss your bill with me, please e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Overall, thank you for feedback, I truly appreciate it.

Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The 7 acre grounds of the Grand Lucayan are gorgeous. Two infinity pools overlooking the ocean, a lap pool, two hot tubs (which were always filled so we couldn't get in them until the last morning we were there), and scores of recliners, all call to you to relax near the water. Unfortunately, there is always loud music playing and it seems that every afternoon Bahamian musicians come marching around the pool area, making people like me, who just want to relax and enjoy the sounds of nature, scurry back to their rooms.

The room was nice, although both my daughter and I found the mattresses to be some of the most uncomfortable we have ever slept on. We note that a prior reviewer had a problem with bed bugs - thankfully we did not have that problem.

We did not find the food that appealing, although we were eating a primarily vegetarian diet. Willy Broadleaf's was just cafeteria food - $15 per person. The Sunday brunch was the same food with a "complimentary" glass of champagne. The other restaurants were very expensive and there was not much of an appealing variety.

Despite our disappointment with the resort, the people who work there are very helpful and friendly. We were permitted to store our luggage in the storage room for a couple of hours after we checked out so we could spend a little more time on the beach before heading to the airport. They called a taxi for us and were quick to give us advice on how to get around.

Although I will write separately on the Port Lucayan Marketplace and the International Bizzare, I will state here - the International Bizzare does not exisit except for the traditional straw market. The hawkers screaming at people trying to walk through the Port Lucayan Marketplace really take the pleasure out of what could have been an interesting shopping experience - and I am sure costs them lots of business.

It is a beautiful part of the world, but I don't know that I will come back here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Tarnwood
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Hello Tarnwood,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor and thank you for your kind words about our resort staff. I'm sorry you and your daughter found our beds uncomfortable, most of guest mention to us that our beds are quite comfy. Also, in reference to the review you read regarding bed bugs, our resort does not have bed bugs. Otherwise, I'm glad you found time to relax by the pools but I'd like apologize that you didn't like the traditional Bahamian Junkanoo music. Overall, I really appreciate your feedback.

Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The beach is OUTSTANDING -- it has the softest creamy yellow sand that never gets hot underfoot...warm turquoise water...to this winter-weary soul, it was heaven!

Accomodations: Not fancy, but rooms are large and clean -- they could use an update, but great for the price -- GET AN OCEAN VIEW -- (5th floor and above so you can see over the plentiful palm trees).
You WILL use your large, private balcony -- its so nice to sit out there with your morning coffee or evening cocktails!
We even took our portable DVD player out to the balcony and watched a movie under the stars! And there was plenty of room for me to do my morning exercises on the balcony in the sweet ocean air! If you're a morning person, You'll enjoy watching the gorgeous sunrises!
They also have Villas at one end of the resort that look gorgeous.

We've been there twice -- the first time to Reef Village right beside Grand Lucayan -- they were sister properties then and shared all facilities, but sadly the Reef is a "Memories" resort now, and attracts a young, party-type crowd. Thankfully, they have done a good job separating the two properties, minimizing guest crossovers.

You can still walk the whole length of the beach (I think it's a couple of miles) -- once you go past Memories, the beach is seriously practically deserted -- houses are hidden well back from the water and you'll only come across 1 condo complex...terrific for a fitness run or a romantic stroll!
The stretch of beach directly in front of Grand Lucayan is breathtaking, and we were there in March just before March Break, and it was never crowded! The pools were very well maintained, but we never used them, as the ocean was so warm and inviting!

The dining can be confusing, even if, like us, you don't do all inclusive, but they do publish which retaurants are open on which days. As other reviewers have noted, there are lots of restaurants in the Lucayan Market just behind the resort. Notably we enjoyed the restaurant on the Marina at the Pelican Bay resort.

There is a small liquor store in the Marketplace for beer wine and spirits. Try the Caribbean beer -- my husband loved the Kalik light with lime!

But back to Grand Lucayan:
Breakfasts were a fabulous buffet feast at Willy Broadleaf -- terrific value, and everything you could imagine. If you have dietary issues, call the resort ahead of time -- they are so helpful!
Their own Iries pub is delicious -- the Iries fine dining part isn't open any more, much to our disappointment. China Beach has yummy Sweet Potato Fries for a fun snack.

They also have a café if you want a specialty coffee, but the coffee in the room is really good!

There is a convenience store right on the property -- it looks small, but has so much you might need -- I got a terrible cough, and they even had the cough syrup I usually have to have a prescription for at home! You can also buy snacks there...just expect all food in Port Lucaya to be fairly expensive.

The resort has a lovely fitness centre, and they provided many free classes -- we enjoyed Kim's Meditation classes! She also does Yoga on the beach, which regretably I didn't have a chance to do. Our friend had a lovely massage at the spa where they offer a variety of treatments.

I think it's a great choice for some peaceful R & R -- there are lots of activities if you wish to partake, but I think it really excels if you want some "alone" time, or privacy with friends or family.

The grounds are so well maintained and beautifully manicured -- I never saw garbage lying around in all the time we were there. It's very lush and tropical looking.

Most of the staff are so friendly and helpful -- especially the housekeeping staff, and the breakfast buffet staff at Willy Broadleaf!

Customer service is great -- one morning there was a very unpleasant odour in our hallway -- I telephoned guest services, and then went out for a swim -- when I came back, they had taken care of it already! I also asked for an extra blanket one night and it arrived in less than 5 minutes!

Also, since our WestJet Package had a late flight out -- they were able to let us stay in our room a little later than usual, and they happily locked up our luggage so we could still enjoy the beach and facilities until the transfer arrived in the late afternoon!

If you are going to Freeport, I don't think you could find a nicer place than the Grand Lucayan.

Room Tip: OCEAN VIEW!!!! 5th floor and above to see the ocean over the lush palm trees! Away from ice machin...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank FenderandGibson

Hello FenderandGibson,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you had such a wonderful time and took advantage of the beautiful ocean view room and the balcony. Also, I'm glad you got a chance to partake in Kim's mediation class. Next time you visit you'll have to participate in beach yoga, you'll love it! Overall, thank you again so much for your kind words, I really appreciate your feedback.

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!