“Beautiful Venue for a Wedding with amazing Scuba!”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Atlanta, Georgia
“Beautiful Venue for a Wedding with amazing Scuba!”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Freeport is a great little island with an International Airport and just a few hours flight from the States. The hotel is beautiful, about 20 minutes from the airport and is situated on a beautiful beach on one side, and a high end harbor on the other.
You can sign up at the harbor for a lot of great water activities ranging from snorkeling to shark feeding expeditions.
We're going back soon to swim with the sharks!

1 Thank JimmyEco
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hello Jimmye1212,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so thrilled you had such a great time visiting our resort. I look forward to your next vacation and don't forget to share with us the pictures when you swim with the sharks! We'd love to see them.

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My main problem was with my booking on their website. Their "Grand Total" amount was not the total. They charged me an extra $500 upon check out. They called this extra fees. Power, Service and Resort Fees. This was above and beyond their Grand Total amount.
The hotel itself is very worn. Seems like it might've been nice when first opened. Bed sheets were worn, paint, furniture, etc. the resort was empty during Spring Break (late March)...
Their infinity pool area was like a ghost town. Bars closed. Pools were freezing. Clearly not heating them.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank FeelingRobbed3
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hello FeelingRobbed3,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us on TripAdvisor. I'd like to apologize that you came across some confusion at check-out with your bill. If you book directly on our website we disclose all fee information. (Government Tax, Service Charge, Resort Fee, Energy Surcharge). If you'd like to discuss your bill with me feel free to e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. I'm sorry you thought the resort looked worn. Currently we are renovating certain areas of the resort and I really appreciate the feedback you have provided me.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We went to the Grand Lucayan on Grand Bahama Island a few weeks ago for our Honeymoon through Celebrations Cruises, which is awful as well. LUCKILY, 200-300 DARK BROWN/BLACK VISIBLE PUBIC HAIRS ALL OVER THE SHEET'S, awaited us vs a bottle of Champagne for example, in one of the NICE OCEAN VIEW ROOMS!!!! It was beyond disgusting to say the least & what was offered... after accusing myself, a White/Blonde haired bride & the Blondish/Red haired groom...TO CHANGE THE SHEETS!!! SERIOUSLY?? After vomiting twice from it & waiting hrs trying to peek at the ocean through the 1/2 inch hole over the pool, restaurants, 1/2 roofed public toilets you DO have a clear view into, bar & between the abundance of palm trees, attempting to iron a $200 DKNY shirt in front of them, with an Iron that left 10+ lovely burnt brown pieces from it's last use melted into it which they resistantly & unsuccessfully washed & returned at CHECK OUT & missed our dinner reservations they wouldn't re-book or pay for they as kindly as a prison warden, ALLOWED us to change rooms! When we unreasonably asked for late check out the maid removed the do not disturb 4 times as we packed & we finally said she could start cleaning only to bring FOUR other employees in, including the "head of housekeeping" (clearly it's pertinent to head a PUBIC DISPERSAL DEPT.!), who's also in charge of LITERALLY REOPENING GUESTS LUGGAGE & RUMMAGING THROUGH while they are in the other room & ACCUSING THEM OF STEALING TOWELS, I HAD TO PROVE THE DIFFERENT DESIGNS! Please enjoy the picture's & I'd recommend a tent instead of here!

8 Thank Nancy K
Hello Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on TripAdvisor. First off, I'm so sad to hear you did not enjoy your stay at the Grand Lucayan. From the beginning it was our goal to improve your experience by upgrading your room to an Ocean View Suite. Secondly, I'm sorry that you felt like our housekeeping staff accused you of stealing towels. It is their responsibility to report how many towels are placed in each room before your arrival to ensure you receive a fresh clean towels daily. If you'd like to follow up with me on any of the concerns you brought up please e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Thank you again for reaching out.
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I went to this resort from March 9-March 14th, and it was the best week of my life, hands down. I am a senior in college and went with 10 other women in my sorority. We were looking for a more laid back environment, not the typical college spring break with tons of loud people, partying, etc. This resort was everything I could have imagined and more. The staff were very friendly, for the most part, and the resort property was beautiful. The beaches were lovely, the pools and hot tubs, amenities, gym, spa, etc. were absolutely wonderful. We chose to do the all-inclusive option so that we didn't have to worry about splitting checks, carrying money around the pool area, etc. and it was the best decision we've ever made. The food on the resort was amazing, I can highly recommend the China Beach grill that is poolside on the resort. I can only hope that I will have the opportunity to return to this beautiful resort, and visit some of the great staff we met while there - Specifically Catherine, Michael, and Taina (who all work at the restaurants/bars outside).

Bottom line: I would recommend this resort to anyone and everyone. I am hoping to return with my family sometime in the future.

For those people concerned about the spring breakers: we were one of the only spring break groups there; the resort was not loud and it was not dirty and trashy; it was perfect, and not many college kids there at all.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view if possible.... one of our groups of girls was just looking over the dumpsters...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Grand L, Public Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hi VJohnson92,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to hear you and your sisters had such a wonderful Spring Break! Thank you for your kind words about our staff, especially Catherine, Michael, and Taina. Overall, I'm so glad you found time to relax and enjoy your vacation. I look forward to your next visit! Keep an eye out on our website for special offers!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed March 20-25...7th floor and above gets you above the palm trees to see the ocean. Honestly, about the only complaint I had about the hotel itself was the pool was COLD. It was not pleasant WHATSOEVER. Beach was nice, but I was disappointed in that there were no shells. Not harassed on beach by peddlers, in fact, saw very few. Count Basie Square was right across the street from hotel for straw markets, bars, restaurants and entertainment in the center of the square Fri and Sat night. Food was not spectacular anywhere EXCEPT "Agave" Mexican restaurant. EXCELLENT BURRITO GRANDE !!!! Servers at all restaurants were not very friendly and did NOT offer us a drink past the first one we got from them. 15% grat added on all bills at all restaurants. Probably why they didn't offer us any drinks because they didn't have to work for their tip. I do recommend going to the Pier Restaurant and see the shark feeding right over the balcony of your table, but MAKE RESERVATIONS !!!! Table 317 is right in the middle of the deck and the BEST table. Ocean water is not real warm either at this time of year, but you get used to it. Wasn't as COLD AS THE POOL !!! Didn't go in hot tub, but it looked nice and people were enjoying it. Several hammocks, which were nice ! Housekeeping was prompt and nice. The room was a tad bit dated but not bad. You must wear your wrist ID plastic bracelet at all times or the security WILL come up to you and ask you to put it on. It's nice to know they are keeping freeloaders out of the hotel grounds! China grill was nice to have onsight. Cheeseburger and fries were very good. Conch fritters we tried at an off-site restaurant were just like hushpuppies. Not good at all. Guest Services was extremely friendly. There were jet skis and parasailing and banana boat, glass bottom boat activities right on the beach near the hotel. Memories hotel was right next to Grand Lucayan. I would NOT stay there as it is only two floors high and was not NEARLY close to being as nice as Grand Lucayan. If you go to this area, I would highly recommend ONLY staying at Grand Lucayan, as you will not be disappointed and it is far better than anything else nearby. Also, if you don't rent a car, which we did not, we had the BEST taxi driver EVER. You should definitely use him. He is a retired professional engineer doing this for extra income and to keep him busy, his wife is a nurse for 45+ years and we felt extremely safe with him and he took us all around the island for practically nothing, by far, least expensive taxi driver. His name is George Moncur and his local number in Grand Bahama Island is 242-727-6811 and we asked his permission to post his number! :) He is the owner of Montours Transport. Do yourself a favor if you need a taxi and only use him, he will not rip you off and he shows you around the island for a small price. He took us all over for $27.00, and we gave him a $50 and told him to keep it ! His van has A/C also. Pelican Bay is also a nice restaurant overlooking the harbor, which is right across the street from hotel. The casino is on the grounds of hotel also. Pretty loose slots. I won $27.00 on a nickel slot machine.

Room Tip: 7th floor or above so you get over the palm trees to see the ocean.
4 Thank gracenastold
Hello gracenastold,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! First off, I'm so happy you liked your ocean view room and received friendly services from our housekeeping and guest services staff. Although, I am so sorry you found the pool to be cold. Overall, it sounds like you had a great experience exploring the island, meeting George your taxi driver and dining at Pier Restaurant. On behalf of the other restaurants you tried around the island I'm sorry you didn't receive top notch service, but I'm glad you liked our restaurant China Grill, especially the cheeseburger! Lastly, thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed at the Grand Lucayan January 16-30, did not book this hotel but rather inherited it as the neighboring hotel was not ready. Sorry it took so long to write this review.
Good: Check-in was painless and very organized, everyone was nice ad luggage got to the room quickly and efficiently. Rooms are OK but outdated. With an ocean view, you will be very happy, as the hotel is close to the ocean, and very close, which makes the views amazing. The beach is white sand, and always cool, with the ocean being crystal clear.
There is one main buffet, offering breakfast and supper. Breakfast always has lots to eat, and made to order eggs(or egg whites) and omelets if you want. Supper has anywhere from 104 separate stations with a variety of food, however if the hotel isn't busy, it's usually only one station open.
There are 2 A la carte restaurants, including an Asian cuisine which is good, and Churchill's. For those of you that have 3 hours to wait, and enjoy sampling bite size cuisine, you will love this. It's premise is obviously based on expensive taste, with small quantities. Unfortunately with the look and feel of the restaurant, the service was ohh, some would say brutal.
The China Grill outside offers pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs etc, and always has something for everyone. Plantation cafe offers sandwiches, Gatorade, chips, cookies with the all-inclusive package (not water though.. that you get to pay for).
Bad:
The group I traveled with enjoyed talking with everyone, and tipping, especially to those that deserve it. The hotel adds a 15% gratuity on every bill. That of course does not matter if you are all-inclusive, however you get to sign for every single drink you order (pop/or alcoholic), and get to see that every single time. After 2 weeks, I must have had a hundred or more receipts. The staff in general, which I hate to describe "in general" however the majority were not willing to go above and beyond. Some staff, which were outstanding, including Gerad(Barry), Delphine, Thelma. Unfortunately there were occasions at the buffet we had nobody approach us at all during dinner, and could not get a drink.
With all of that being said, I want to stress to everyone, this hotel is not an all-inclusive hotel. This hotel offers an all-inclusive meal replacement. What's the difference?? Well, when you go to dinner, you can see what items you're allowed to pick off the menu, and what items you are not (usually indicated by an *). It's really hit and miss as to what you can and can't eat. As mentioned Gatorade, vitamin water, cans of pop. alcoholic beverages all included, but the bottle of water next to it is not. Lobser salad included, but items cheaper are not.
On a final note, the island is beautiful, and the cabs are very cheap (use them instead of the busses offered by your travel company, way cheaper, and better.. they will wait for you to pick you up). The management of the Grand Lucayan are receptive to your concerns. We had communication with Carmel Churchill over some of the issues, and although not everything can be fixed in a day, the hotel really did try to rectify some of the bigger issues. Hopefully they can fix some of the disgruntled staff, or at least make them pretend a bit better. I gave the hotel a 3/5 as the views are simply amazing, and the people in Freeport outside the resort, and the great ones we met at the resort, are simply fantastic. I would suggest talking to Charles in a blue shirt on the beach, he'll hook you up with some amazing tours of the island.

Room Tip: Pick an ocean view, on a higher floor above the trees. Views are amazing.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Oilerfan74
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Hello Oilerfan74,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor, I really appreciate all your feedback. First off, thank you for being so understanding that we are not an all-inclusive resort but we're so happy you decided to stay with us because your original booking at Memories was not yet open. I'm so happy you really enjoyed the ocean view room, it's a real treat in the mornings seeing the sunrise! I'm also glad you enjoyed the buffets and other restaurants at the resort. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, Barry, Delphine and Thelma. I'm so sorry you couldn't say the same about some others and had difficulty ordering a beverage at Willy Broadleaf. Again thank you for your comments I really appreciate it.

Toronto
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We spent 1week at this resort..... We chose all-inclusive vacation....having gone to many all-inclusive vacations....Grand Lucayan needs to do some homework...we felt like second class citizen...when the servers noticed our yellow wristbands we were overlooked....they would refill drinks,take away dirty plates of paying customers and go right past us... We always left a tip although 15 per cent was added to our tab..... churchills restaurant .... $60 PER PERSON surcharge 120.00 plus the cost they charge the hotel another 100.00 ... The meal is definitely not worth 220.00....be upfront and post it before entering the restaurant....this hotel needs to be bought out by a chain.....Riu, Iberostar,..... We paid good money for this all- inclusive and would not recommend it.... Very disappointing....although beautiful grounds!

5 Thank franklin103
Hi franklin103,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. I'm so sorry you felt that you received bad service at Churchills. The service you described does not meet our expectations and I regret you had to experience that. Also, I'd like to apologize if you were confused about the bill at Chuchills. Our prices for each dish are listed on our menu and on our website. If you'd like to discuss your bill with me, please e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Overall, thank you for feedback, I truly appreciate it.

Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services