Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Bell Channel Inn(Freeport)
  • Breakfast included
Royal Islander(Freeport)
3,052 results
All reviewschina beachacross the streetbreakers cayocean viewinfinity poolcigar barall inclusive packagelighthouse pointcruise shipday passbeautiful resortgrand celebrationall inclusive planswim up barthe check in processbanana boatper person
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I am currently awaiting my plane back to reality at the Grand Bahamas Airport. We are sorry to leave.

The grounds of this hotel are beautiful. The beach and pools are beautiful. It's true, the pools weren't heated, but as the weather gets warmer this matters less.

We ate out every evening, at the places across the street from the hotel. We would highly recommend two of them:
Capuccino's - Italian
Flying Fish - "Modern Seafood"

Both are on the more expensive side,. Both were loaded with locals. Both were excellent, Flying Fish was, perhaps, beyond excellent.

At the Grand Lucayan, if you at facing the ocean and head left along the beach you can get to a section of the beach that is almost empty - but still part of Grand Lucayan. Privacy, plus the beauty of the Caribbean. The beach chairs here were almost empty.

The activity choices can be overwhelming - so, early on, talk to the activities director and sign up for whatever is first priority for you.

All in all, we loved the Grand Lucayan and would recommend it. Although GBI doesn't have the enormous aquariums and water slides, I think every aspect of the trip was a bit more reasonably priced than the Nassau / Paradise Island / Atlantis combination - and the snorkeling available in the area is arguably better than what we've found around Nassau,

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dan C
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Hi Dan,

We are sad to see you leave too! Thank you for rating us on TripAdvisor, I am so happy you had such a wonderful vacation. From the sound of it, you really took advantage of Grand Bahama Island by indulging at great restaurants, finding a peaceful spot at the beach and by taking advantage of the activities we offer. I hope you can visit us again soon!

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We just stayed at the Grand Lucayan, and it was fantastic. Staff was friendly. Rooms were clean. We stayed in Lanai ocean view suites (right on the beach). Beautiful view every morning. Staff was very accomodating (brought a microwave for us so we can heat up our son's milk). Food was okay, but sufficient for our needs. Wish the pool was heated or had an indoor pool (a few of the days were cold). Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Stayed: March 2014
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hello Neha,

Thanks for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to read the staff was friendly and helpful when you needed your son's milk heated up. I'm sorry the weather was a bit chilly during your stay but overall I'm glad it was a fantastic vacation. I really appreciate your feedback and I hope you can visit us again sometime!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I took a weekend trip to Freeport to try the ferry service from Ft Lauderdale before subjecting my fiancée to the two hour boat ride over there. It was a great experience. I just booked a return trip for June. The hotel is beautiful. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The location is great, it is right across the street from The Port Lucaya Marketplace and UNEXSO. The room had a great view and the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept in. I can't wait to go back. My fiancée is going to have a great place to relax while I am out SCUBA diving.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chuck I

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so glad you enjoyed your first trip here. The ferry from Ft. Lauderdale is very convenient for a nice weekend trip. Also, I'd like to thank you for kind words about our staff, we all look forward to your next visit when you bring your fiancé! Before you leave for your scuba trip, check out our spa services on our website where she will be pampered and feel recharged when you return from diving. See you two in June!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed at the Grand Lucayan March 10-17th. Check in was not too long, about 30 min. We had a Island View room overlooking the tennis courts. Room was well taken care of by the friendly housekeeping staff. Room had a safe and a fridge - nice touch. Bathroom was old and worn. We had to call for a repair which was promptly taken care. Tks.

My family and I had no negative experiencing during our stay, with the exception of one grumpy lady at the cafe (it was early in the morning so I will give her a pass on that one).

Hotel grounds are very well kept. The pools and beach were excellent. Highly recommend you check out the beach area near the Wave Pool bar. Walk to the left of the main beach from the hotel to get to this area. This beach was not busy, clean and is a perfect place to relax near the infinity pool. There is a big fountain outside the main entrance which was not working. Would have loved to see it in action? Four tennis courts (2 hard court, 1 clay, 1 grass) $20 per hour.

There is a small store located at the Hotel has reasonable prices, ball caps for $10, sells stamps and other convience items. Note: Sunscreen is very expensive in Freeport! Bring lots!

Felt very safe and secure while at the Hotel. Security staff are diligent and friendly. Enjoyed knowing that security were present on site.

Hotel is located across the street from the Port Lucayan Marketplace. Lots to see and experience there! Hotel was not noisy from the Spring Breakers...We quite enjoyed seeing everyone getting along enjoying the sunshine. Pool side activities are available throughout the day. My wife and I won drinks playing Bingo..yahoo!

We took many photos of the Hotel, the beaches and pools. Every photo you see on Tripadvisor is accurate! This location is beautiful and excellent.

Check out was easy. Be sure to check your bill as most services purchased at the Hotel are captured using non-electronic paper method. I noticed a small error which was quickly reversed. Staff was very friendly and pleasant. We felt sad to leave.

Overall, this Hotel is wanting of some renovations and updating. That being said, I would definately recommend it to others. All of the staff were very friendly and polite. Zero complaints from my family and I. Thanks very much.

Room Tip: Higher Floors will provide a better overall view. Enjoy!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FamilyTraveller13

Hello FamilyTraveller13,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I'd also like to thank you for sharing your pictures of our pools and ground. I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed our resort and island so much! Overall, I really appreciate your feedback and I hope you can make another trip to Grand Bahama Island someday. :-)

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Freeport is a great little island with an International Airport and just a few hours flight from the States. The hotel is beautiful, about 20 minutes from the airport and is situated on a beautiful beach on one side, and a high end harbor on the other.
You can sign up at the harbor for a lot of great water activities ranging from snorkeling to shark feeding expeditions.
We're going back soon to swim with the sharks!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimmyEco

Hello Jimmye1212,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so thrilled you had such a great time visiting our resort. I look forward to your next vacation and don't forget to share with us the pictures when you swim with the sharks! We'd love to see them.