“Stunning beach views”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We rented two rooms in this hotel both had beautiful views of beach which was like something from a movie, they rake the sand every morning which is a nice touch. The water temperature is amazing, I used to walk along the beach around 6am it was so peaceful and serene, a few times I couldn't resist the beautiful water and just went in with shorts and tee shirt. There is an Asian restaurant (can't recall the name) on the property, that had excellent food and great service, were very helpful with my gluten free needs, the chef came out and went over everything with me. The market is OK, they do hassle you to buy but most places do that anyway, it's quite lively in the evenings out around the town, with music and restaurants, this is all within walking distance from Grand Lucayan hotel, and we felt safe walking around, they have beach bonfire night, they take you to another beach, which is also beautiful, had a barbecue and enjoyed the sunset. We also went horse riding along the beach and into the water, excellent. I am planning on going back with my sisters next year, can't wait.

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank Dorothyja1
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Hello Dorothyja1,

I am so happy you reached out to us on TripAdvisor. Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm thrilled to hear you had such a great time and enjoyed the ocean view rooms. The sunrises are truly special! I look forward to your next trip when you bring your sister. Keep a look out for special offers on our website.

See you then,
Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My family and I traveled from Halifax to Freeport back in March and it was absolutely fantastic. We flew Sunwing with the package deal and when we landed, we hailed a taxi instead of taking the bus with everyone else. A little bit extra, but you get to the resort first and the check-in takes 10 minutes instead of 3 hours! Upon our arrival, one of the check-in attendants named Sophia greeted us happily and after talking for a while, she upgraded our island view room to ocean view because she "liked our attitudes"! Room 903, absolutely stunning! I'll just point out a few of the highlights below-

The Marketplace- We had decided to go on our first non-all-inclusive trip and we were used to eating at the resort. Instead, the Grand Lucayan Marketplace across the street has everything you could want! Some of our favorite restaurants were the "After Deck" (the server is so friendly and wonderful), "Zorbas" and "La Med", but we never once had a bad meal. We ate at the buffet on the resort once for breakfast and it was good as well, but avoid the all-inclusive and get your meals here instead.

Beach- We are used to vacationing in Mexico, so we were expecting a battle for the beach chairs. Instead, you can find any amount of chairs you need. If you want a quieter area, talk a walk down the beach west to the beach by the infinity pool. It's really not far away like everybody says it is.

Service- People who have complained about the service must have been Memories guests who were unhappy with their transfer. Grand Lucayan service members have incredibly friendly attitudes and they do their best to accommodate any problems you're having! There are a lot of husslers on the beach (look for Charles and he'll get you anything you want) and on the resort property, but a polite "no" will make them stop.

Overall, we had a fantastic time at this resort. From the pool to the beach to the marketplace, Grand Lucayan was worth every penny and we can't wait to go back! A few more tips below based on our vacation:

- Rent a car and explore the island! The best beach we've ever seen is at the Lucayan National Park. Avoid the International Bazaar, most of it is shut down and it's pretty sketchy. Have dinner at Pier One (book in advance) to see them feed the sharks!

-Book a reservation for Cappucino's at the Marketplace, food and atmosphere is incredible.

-There's a small painting shop across the street from Zorba's. They are incredible for a great price and he tubes them so you can bring them on a plane!

-Snorkeling at Paradise Cove for an excursion is worth it for sure, you can kayak as well!

-Get a taxi instead of the bus from the airport to beat the rush, check-in is so quick!

Room Tip: Higher floors and even-number rooms give you a great view of the ocean. 903 had a view of the beach...
6  Thank Hollister627

Hello Noahisawesome627,

Thank you so much for rating us 5 stars on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to hear you had such a stellar time, especially at the beaches. Also, I'd like to thank you for your kind words about our front desk staff, I'm glad check-in was smooth and rewarding for you. ;-) Overall, it sounds like you had a fantastic time. Please come back to visit anytime!

- Pedro Miler, Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We recently stayed here as part of a cruise/stay package with Caribbean Cruise Lines. After having a VERY crappy hotel in Florida, we were thinking we were going to be disappointed in the Grand Lucayan, but that was NOT the case. We got in too early for the rooms to be ready, but the hotel has an EXTREMELY easy and organized system to store our luggage while we enjoyed the beach. The hotel looked like something out of a magazine, with a beautiful view. The rooms were very clean and pretty spacious, with a great view off the fourth floor ocean suite balcony. Our trip was WAY too short and we are already planning a return trip next year. My only negatives werethat most of the restaurants were closed for dinner, as we were there during the week, and the jacuzzi was so hot that we could not even get in.

Room Tip: choose a room higher than the fourth floor for the best rooms
3  Thank loloi2
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Hello loloi2,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear we blew your expectations with a clean and spacious ocean view suite and by storing your luggage while you enjoyed the beach when you arrived early. I'm sad to hear you weren't able to enjoy the jacuzzi, it's us usually a popular spot for our guests. I'm so sorry that some of our restaurants were not open when you went for dinner. Before your next trip be sure to browse our website that lists our restaurants, their menus and their hours of operation. I look forward to seeing you next year!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I am currently awaiting my plane back to reality at the Grand Bahamas Airport. We are sorry to leave.

The grounds of this hotel are beautiful. The beach and pools are beautiful. It's true, the pools weren't heated, but as the weather gets warmer this matters less.

We ate out every evening, at the places across the street from the hotel. We would highly recommend two of them:
Capuccino's - Italian
Flying Fish - "Modern Seafood"

Both are on the more expensive side,. Both were loaded with locals. Both were excellent, Flying Fish was, perhaps, beyond excellent.

At the Grand Lucayan, if you at facing the ocean and head left along the beach you can get to a section of the beach that is almost empty - but still part of Grand Lucayan. Privacy, plus the beauty of the Caribbean. The beach chairs here were almost empty.

The activity choices can be overwhelming - so, early on, talk to the activities director and sign up for whatever is first priority for you.

All in all, we loved the Grand Lucayan and would recommend it. Although GBI doesn't have the enormous aquariums and water slides, I think every aspect of the trip was a bit more reasonably priced than the Nassau / Paradise Island / Atlantis combination - and the snorkeling available in the area is arguably better than what we've found around Nassau,

3  Thank Dan C

Hi Dan,

We are sad to see you leave too! Thank you for rating us on TripAdvisor, I am so happy you had such a wonderful vacation. From the sound of it, you really took advantage of Grand Bahama Island by indulging at great restaurants, finding a peaceful spot at the beach and by taking advantage of the activities we offer. I hope you can visit us again soon!

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We just stayed at the Grand Lucayan, and it was fantastic. Staff was friendly. Rooms were clean. We stayed in Lanai ocean view suites (right on the beach). Beautiful view every morning. Staff was very accomodating (brought a microwave for us so we can heat up our son's milk). Food was okay, but sufficient for our needs. Wish the pool was heated or had an indoor pool (a few of the days were cold). Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Stayed: March 2014
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hello Neha,

Thanks for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to read the staff was friendly and helpful when you needed your son's milk heated up. I'm sorry the weather was a bit chilly during your stay but overall I'm glad it was a fantastic vacation. I really appreciate your feedback and I hope you can visit us again sometime!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I took a weekend trip to Freeport to try the ferry service from Ft Lauderdale before subjecting my fiancée to the two hour boat ride over there. It was a great experience. I just booked a return trip for June. The hotel is beautiful. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The location is great, it is right across the street from The Port Lucaya Marketplace and UNEXSO. The room had a great view and the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept in. I can't wait to go back. My fiancée is going to have a great place to relax while I am out SCUBA diving.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chuck I

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so glad you enjoyed your first trip here. The ferry from Ft. Lauderdale is very convenient for a nice weekend trip. Also, I'd like to thank you for kind words about our staff, we all look forward to your next visit when you bring your fiancé! Before you leave for your scuba trip, check out our spa services on our website where she will be pampered and feel recharged when you return from diving. See you two in June!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed at the Grand Lucayan March 10-17th. Check in was not too long, about 30 min. We had a Island View room overlooking the tennis courts. Room was well taken care of by the friendly housekeeping staff. Room had a safe and a fridge - nice touch. Bathroom was old and worn. We had to call for a repair which was promptly taken care. Tks.

My family and I had no negative experiencing during our stay, with the exception of one grumpy lady at the cafe (it was early in the morning so I will give her a pass on that one).

Hotel grounds are very well kept. The pools and beach were excellent. Highly recommend you check out the beach area near the Wave Pool bar. Walk to the left of the main beach from the hotel to get to this area. This beach was not busy, clean and is a perfect place to relax near the infinity pool. There is a big fountain outside the main entrance which was not working. Would have loved to see it in action? Four tennis courts (2 hard court, 1 clay, 1 grass) $20 per hour.

There is a small store located at the Hotel has reasonable prices, ball caps for $10, sells stamps and other convience items. Note: Sunscreen is very expensive in Freeport! Bring lots!

Felt very safe and secure while at the Hotel. Security staff are diligent and friendly. Enjoyed knowing that security were present on site.

Hotel is located across the street from the Port Lucayan Marketplace. Lots to see and experience there! Hotel was not noisy from the Spring Breakers...We quite enjoyed seeing everyone getting along enjoying the sunshine. Pool side activities are available throughout the day. My wife and I won drinks playing Bingo..yahoo!

We took many photos of the Hotel, the beaches and pools. Every photo you see on Tripadvisor is accurate! This location is beautiful and excellent.

Check out was easy. Be sure to check your bill as most services purchased at the Hotel are captured using non-electronic paper method. I noticed a small error which was quickly reversed. Staff was very friendly and pleasant. We felt sad to leave.

Overall, this Hotel is wanting of some renovations and updating. That being said, I would definately recommend it to others. All of the staff were very friendly and polite. Zero complaints from my family and I. Thanks very much.

Room Tip: Higher Floors will provide a better overall view. Enjoy!
1  Thank FamilyTraveller13

Hello FamilyTraveller13,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I'd also like to thank you for sharing your pictures of our pools and ground. I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed our resort and island so much! Overall, I really appreciate your feedback and I hope you can make another trip to Grand Bahama Island someday. :-)

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!