“Got a day pass here when on a cruise to the Bahamas”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We took a $8 taxi ride to town from the port. You can walk to the Grand Lucayan (Grand Bahamian is now the name) after shopping for a bit. It was $20 for a pass. The beach was great. You could use the chairs (no towels though so bring some) on the beach and at the pool. They have music and drinks and food at the pool. Water loungers in the pool to float on. It was really a great way to spend the day in Freeport. The ship wanted $80 per person to do the same thing. You are best to find your own way around sometimes unless you have something specific in mind you want to do. We were happy just shopping and then lounging at the beach. We also hit the slots on the way back to the ship for a little while. Nothing was ever crowded and the people were nice all over Freeport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank MJthetravelerfromMN
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Hi MJthetravelerfromMN,

Thanks for spending the day with us at the Grand Lucayan during your cruise. I'm so happy to hear you had a great time at the beach and lounging at the pool. Next time, you'll have to stay a bit longer. ;-) Keep a look out for special offers on our website. Thanks again for rating us on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

stayed at grand lucayan march 22-28. just me and my wife. lets start with check-in. 4 hours to get a room and hotel was at 50 percent occupancy. i called two days before arrival to explain we would be arriving early. noon time, the staff told me no problem my room is already availale. i ask if early check in fee and she said no. She was right, there was no fee but we werent able to check in till 4 pm. 4 hours walking around resort with the pager the gave us so we would be alerted when room is ready.at 4 pm we went to the front desk and asked aout the room and only then did we find out the room is now reaDY. Not an appropiate way to treat guest .
now we went to the room. average hotel room. room 1021 marina vew? took a shower after traveling from boston. tub drains very slowly and had to stand in 3 inches of water while showering. immediately called front desk and ask for room change. request denied and i was told some one would be up to fix tub. 4 times i asked for tub to be fixed and never happened.
the restaurants were not open every night. food was average and price was very expensive.
the staff from memories resort next door were relentless to get you to buy time share. the security allowed them on the Lucayan property. in the lobby of hotel. outside china beach restaurant. every where we went. same people not taking no for answer/. when i explained they are trespassing and disturbing our vacation it did not matter to them. they said we are workingand have permission to be here.
no they don't. security made sure i had on my wrist tags but let the other resort time share people on the grounds. We never felt completely safe there.
the landscape was nice , pools nice, and beach awesome
my complaints were few to the management but ever addressed by anyone.
almost a 3 star hotel.

two very disappointed customers my wife and I,
David

Room Tip: demand ocean view. you will have to pay extra but not worth it on the marina side. you will never go...
2  Thank 777david777

Hello 777david777,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. First, I want to say how sorry I am that our front desk staff was unable to check you in to your room early. I totally understand the frustration after being told otherwise. I'd also like to apologize that no one serviced your room after reporting a concern. I'm sadden to hear that you did not feel safe at our resort. Most guest comment how safe they do feel at our resort. I'll be sure to pass on the word about the Memories staff interrupting your time. If you'd like to reach out to me about any other concerns my e-mail is guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Thank you again for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

- Pedro Miler, Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was a third trip to this property in the last four years. Location is fantastic--great pools (could be a little warmer) and beach is fantastic. Having been before, we knew what to expect and while the hotel in some areas is showing some age, the warm Bahamian hospitality and fantastic weather more than make up for it. Thanks to Elaine, Pauline, Ericka, Solomon and Michael at Hammerheads/China Beach for such friendly service all week. Wish China Beach still had the Wonton BBQ chicken nachos on the menu but the updated menu with healthier choices was also a welcome change.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on an upper level are worth it--the view is spectacular. All rooms have a balcony...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank nancyn1968

Hello nancyn1968,

First off, welcome back! Third times a charm, some may say! ;-) I'm so happy you had such a wonderful vacation and received such great services at Hammerheads and China Beach. Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate your feedback and I look forward to your next visit. :-)

- Pedro Miller,
Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel refused to honor their own website confirmation for their Spring promotion. Upon arrival, they told us the prices they quoted online were incorrect and a misunderstanding. We needed to pay approximately $300 more for our 4-night stay, in order to get the room.

Our confirmation said hotel, taxes AND extras included. They disagreed, set an arbitrary room rate and said our extras were NOT included.

We escalated the problem to the manager at reception and the next level of management. They kept us waiting in the lobby for over two hours and still refused to honor our printed confirmation.

Two days later, we got one complimentary massage (worth $105), but it doesn't make up for being overcharged approximately $300, losing two hours in the lobby and being thoroughly aggravated at the start of our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end are partial ocean view.
8  Thank ebsk8z
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Just returned from a wonderful week at the Grand Lucayan. We were in room 938 in the Breakers Cay building. Views from the room were breathtaking. Pools and beaches were wonderful, although still a bit chilly. Everyone both at the resort and throughout the island were friendly and most helpful. We got lost and needed directions several times and the locals were very gracious. Willy Broadleaf at the resort has wonderful breakfast buffet for about $15.00. Santorini's and Franks in the Marketplace have great ice cream and good prices on sodas and water. We ate at Molly Malones, Zorba's and Le Med. All were very good. Molly Malone has huge burgers. Zorba's has the best prices. The Marinia Bar and Grill next to Unesco has delicious Fish and Chips and Watermelon Salad. Food at the resort is quite expensive, so a short walk to the Marketplace is well worth it. Take a cab from the airport - $25.00. Better than buses. If you rent a car, head out to the East End. Beaches are deserted and fabulous. Look for the Sand Bar restaurant. It is off the beaten path and a one of a kind adventure. The state park is a good choice also. Had a bit of problem with our room key (had to get it "recut" 4 times. I think it is because I had next to our car keys and that caused it to demagnetize. Played golf at the Ruby and Fortune Hills courses. Not as nice as the resort courses, but half the price. For our game (wife and I are both high handicappers), they were good for us.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room above the third floor if you want a good view of the ocean. Pay extra for...
3  Thank Denny319
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hello Denny319,

Thank you so much for a raving review! From the sound of it, it seems you and your wife had a fun filled week here. I'm so happy you loved your ocean view room, enjoyed breakfast at Willy Broadleaf and had a wonderful experience at the pools and the beach. Thanks for all the great recommendations of place to see and dine at. I hope you get the chance to vacation with us again sometime.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Flight with British Airways to Nassau very good. Had to wait 3hrs for a 33 minute connecting flight with Bahamasair to Freeport and just to warn you Nassau airport is very very basic.
Taxis are available just outside terminal and it cost us $35.
HOTEL: check in fairly straight forward, I was travelling with my husband and 2 children age 18 and 20. We had 2 rooms booked with a marina view however the lady on reception decided to change mine and my husbands room because she said it didn't have a good view. My children had room 531 , if you really looked hard enough you may be able to spot the top of a boat but I wouldn't have said it was a marina view, it looked out onto roofs on buildings. However as we were not spending lots of time in room we didn't try to change, they both had a double bed each.
We had room 903. The view was better than a marina view, we had part beach and part of next doors hotel as our view. We had a king size bed.
ROOMS were a good size but fairly basic but were fine for us.
POOL AREA: lots of sun chairs are available and there was no rush for them, however that might of had something to do with the fact it was only sunny for 4 out of 12 days and at times very windy. Pool towels were supplied, SWIMMiNG POOL was absolutely FREEZING and I didn't manage to get in it at all for the 12 days we were there infact all four of us didn't get in it. Also they seem to come round and cut grass and blow leaves when people are trying to relax, normally hotels do this before people are up and about.
RESTURANTS : The resturants mentioned in hotel description are there but are not open every day. Breakfast was at willy broadleaf it was ok but not a fantastic choice and it was $15 each, it seemed every time we asked for a cup of English tea they had run out of tea bags and only had fruit tea left. Our waitress said the staff take them home, not really good enough when you can't get a cup of tea for breakfast. Lunch was at China grill next to the pool and everything was served on plastic. We decided to just walk out across the road and eat in a restaurant as it was better food and better value for money. Dinner we decided to eat out mainly again because the hotel was expensive and it's nice to go out in the evening, however we did eat in China Beach resturants 1 night and it was very nice food.
Whatever you purchase from the hotel they always ADD ON 15% service charge so it all adds up and you end up with a big bill at checkout time.
OVERALL: hotel grounds are beautiful and beach is lovely and clean, however I think some of the staff definitely let the place down and I feel there is a definite lack of organisation and helpfulness from the hotel in general. It was an expensive holiday and we are fortunate to have travelled to many different places in the world as a family which are nicer and better value for money and have felt that the staff have really looked after us. I Felt on more than one occasion that the hotel staff and also some of the resturants outside the hotel really were not that friendly.
PORT LUCAYA MARKET PLACE: 2 min walk outside the hotel, consists of resturants, Bars, shops and a straw market. We ate in quite a few resturants our favourite was Luchiano's but we liked Giovannis, Cappuchinos,Pieces,Agave and Sabour over looking the marina. We ate in Zorba because someone recommended it but was disappointed with food and service.
We had a good holiday overall but unfortunately the weather wasn't good and I am pleased we visited Grand Bahamas but it's definitely one I will tick off my list now we have been.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Collette G

Hi Collette,

Thank you so much for rating us and providing us with some feedback. I'm pleased to hear at check-in our staff moved you and your husband to a guest room with an ocean view. I'm also happy that you enjoyed your meal at China Beach. I'm sorry the weather was a bit gloomy and chilly during your stay. I'd like to apologize that we did not have English Tea for you at breakfast. Overall, I really appreciate your feedback and I glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your holiday. :-)

Reviewed 5 April 2014

All inclusive stay courtesy of British Airways Holidays. Billed as 4-5 star this resort is at best 3-4 star, the rooms are tired and the food is average throughout all the restaurants. Good beach and friendly staff along with premium drink brands have made it acceptable but given the price we paid from the UK it is still a very disappointing experience and would not return. Communal facilities require investment, toilets out of order, shower and steam room in the spa out of order and general feeling of neglect.

Room Tip: Sea view obviously a benefit!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Chris M

Hello Chris M,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your kind words about our staff, beach and drinks. I'm so sorry that a few facilities were under maintenance during your visit. I truly appreciate your feedback.

Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#1 of 1 in West End
Island Seas Resort
Island Seas Resort
#12 of 14 in Freeport

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!