“Awesome surroundings but...”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Ghent
“Awesome surroundings but...”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We booked this hotel through one of it's partners, special offer, all-inclusive! We were really looking forward to this place.
Arriving here, the check-in was slow, really slow, but then again, relax man, it's the Bahamas, no need to be in a hurry. As mentioned, we booked an all-inclusive, but for some reason, we did not get it, we did not get any explanation why, or what went wrong, nothing, just 'no all inclusive for you guys!', so we paid all-inclusive to get nothing. And the staff at the check in was rather rude too.

That set aside, we tried to enjoy our time off, and really, there is no need to try, the beach is amazing, hotel is well-maintained, pools are great, not too busy, and a lap pool, super cool! Rooms are big, we had the marina view, one downside: a/c makes a lot of noise.
Yoga with Kim is something you need to put on your To Do list here.
The breakfast at breakfast at Willy Broadleaf is great, and staff is friendly, no complaints!
We tried dinner at Iries, no good at all, very fat food, slow service.
If you want good food and are willing to spend some money, then I would suggest The Flying Fish.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Inge_Steffen
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello Inge_Steffen,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor and for providing us with some feedback. First off, I'm so sorry that check-in was not a quick process for you and that there was some confusion about your booking. If you'd like please e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com and I'll look more into that for you. Otherwise, I'm really happy to hear you had a great time enjoying the pools and the beach. I couldn't agree more, Kim's yoga class is a must! I'm glad you enjoyed breakfast and the service at Willy Broadleaf but I'm sad to hear you didn't feel the same way about Iries. Overall, thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
Edmonton
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I had a great relaxing time in the Bahamas but a few things could have been better! I booked single occupancy so I paid quite a bit ($2300) for the all inclusive option (Feb 7-14) that Westjet Vacations offered (travelled w/family). Now before I begin, the manager states in his comments on other reviews that this is not an all-inclusive hotel that they were accommodating people that were to stay @ the Memories Hotel (next door) - maybe so for them but I was with Westjet & they offered & stated it was all-inclusive (which I paid extra $$). Sunwing is the only carrier for the Memories hotel. This was not all inclusive more like semi-inclusive - other resorts offer you bottles water/soda in your room free of charge with a fridge- I had to pay for this & also did not get a fridge. I drink a lot of water - its a tropical place it should be included! The items on the menus were ridiculous - only the asterisked ones you could choose from & of course not the good stuff for eg. vegetarian spring rolls you could have but not the crab ones. All inclusive means everything not limited to. The restaurants didn’t even have some of the items that we were able to choose from, eg.China Beach for instance, didn't have deep fried banana when we went or gyozas. We're limited as it is & they don't have the stuff we can have. Buffet only 2x per week for dinner with the same items?? Most resorts (Dominican,Mexico) have a standard buffet for dinner on top of the al la cartes. I do have to say breakfast buffet was the best I've had, if only a buffet dinner was like that! With being all inclusive I think we were treated differently as well, no one refilled our drinks at the restaurants or asked us if we wanted anything else...we were rushed out. Also, for your all inclusive to end at breakfast the day you leave....really?? I didn't get in til 6pm the first night I think you can let us order food til we leave at 3:30pm. I am a very good tipper but most of the employees didn't deserve any extra as I didn't get any extra! The lady who cleaned my room (I can't remember her name) was AWESOME!! I had the best food outside of the resort that I paid EXTRA for when I should not have had to & water flowed without a problem. I've been to the Dominican & Mexico many times & never had issues like this with the all inclusive plan.WestJet Vacations also told us there was a waterslide - no waterslide. It was in the resort next door which we were not allowed access to. That also irked us....they were allowed in our resort but we weren't allowed there....how fair is that? If you are accommodating them shouldn't they also accommodate us for the time being? Especially when we were told we had a waterslide. Hammerheads being closed at 6pm except Friday/Saturday....its a resort the booze should be flowing until at least midnight. When I'm on vacation, I like to be outside not sitting inside at a piano bar or my room. There is NO entertainment at night which is sad....such a nice place & you're in your room by 8pm as there is nothing to do!! My room was awesome - I got upgraded to a suite (just for 1 person) & loved it. It was spacious, the bed to die for & clean! The weather wasn't the nicest as the last 3 days were quite chilly where you didn't sit at the pool/beach which was very weird for me as I usually am planted at the beach all day for the week I'm there. Overall I think I overpaid for what I got – I don’t know if I would attempt it again as nice of a place as it was. Definitely would not do the all inclusive unless I was guaranteed it to be like other resorts (water & all food included). All in all its the Bahamas & it wasn't snowing! :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank beachgirl0578
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hello beachgirl0578,

Thank you so much for taking the time and reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. First off, I'm glad you had such a relaxing vacation here. Just to let you know, the Grand Lucayan is not normally an all inclusive resort. In the beginning of this year, Memories opening date was delayed so we accommodated their guests who originally booked an all-inclusive stay there. It saddens me to hear you were disappointed at WestJet Vacations offer. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along. I am glad you enjoyed your upgrade suite, comfy bed and thanks for the shout out to our housekeeping. Lastly, thank you again for your feedback I really appreciate it. Feel free to e-mail me with any other concerns at guestservices@grandlucayan.com.

new york
Reviewed 24 April 2014

back again for trip number 5 and so glad to see more activity at the resort and the surrounding area. the old resort next door is now open (called Memories) and is only good news for the grand lucayan and their guests. first off, memories is all inclusive so they only eat at their restaurants and only use thier beach and pool...this leaves the grand lucayan beach and pool open and available for us. the more crowds at memories allows for a better atmosphere over at the casino at night....more people, more noise, more fun at the tables as well as more activity at night over at the marketplace across the street.
grand lucayan is clean and kept up nicely. the beach crew is especially great. room this trip was on a high floor and exactly what we booked. service was quick and efficient for some minor issues we had. all resolved to our satisfaction.

great things about the resort: its clean and we felt security was very good, played golf twice and it was great, beach is extremely well taken care of.

areas for improvement are still the spa area....the old green/blue tiles need to be replaced or repaired, the waiting area is very worn looking, the steam room wasnt working and the sauna had the light bulb out (wasnt going in there in the pitch dark) and thay had one cd playing over and over....hard to relax hearing "scarborough fair" again and again. masssages were great though (we each went twice), also the service at hammerheads could be better as we had to wait a long time for drinks.

watch out for cruise ship days on the beach. the resort rents out passes to cruise ships and the beach can get very crowded when they all arrive. grab a lounge chair away from china grill to get away from the crowds that come between 11 and 2.

only item we wish the hotel did a better job of was to welcome back returning customers. when we mentioned we were on our fifth trip back, the reception rep said "oh, thats nice". a warmer greeting would have gone a long way for us.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sgirl09
Hello sgirl09,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor and for coming back time after time! I love hearing from our returning guests their feedback. I'm glad you've seen improvements, like the liveliness at night and the privacy at the beach and pools. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your massage but I'd like to apologize for the maintenance issues in the sauna. Overall, I really appreciate your feedback and I hope you'll be back for a sixth visit!

Sedalia, Missouri
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our visit there. The location cannot be beat, as it is right on a wonderful beach and you can walk across the street to the little market area with all kinds of shops. The pools are numerous and well-maintained, including an excellent infinity pool looking out over the ocean. The Hammerhead Bar down by the pools and beach is awesome. The decor in general is dated, and I always found myself thinking of the Jetsons when standing by the elevators. However, everything is very clean. Our room was nice and spacious, and the bedding was quite comfortable. My only complaints with the room are first, when it rained the water seeped in from the balcony and got the carpet wet about a foot into the room. We had to be careful not to put anything on the floor near there. And the second complaint is that hot water was not always available, depending on the time we chose to shower. The housekeeping staff was wonderful and took good care of us. We ate the breakfast buffet at Willy Broadleaf's and it was pretty good with lots of choices. Dinner one night was at China Beach and it was average to good. I had room service from Churchill's one night, coconut shrimp, and it was really good. All the restaurants are ridiculously expensive, as is their all-inclusive option. We ate most of our meals at restaurants in the little market across the street. Pisces restaurant served some very good food and even a decent pizza. Breakfast at Zorba's was really good too. The spa on-site quoted me $85 for a spa pedicure, so I went to a beauty shop in the market and got a very nice one for $35. The concierge desk was very helpful and always available to answer questions. I was a little distressed that I had gone to them to ask about churches in the area for Easter Services and they gave me the information, but didn't bother to tell me that there would be a sunrise service right on the property. I only became aware of it when I heard them singing half way through it, so because of the time my cruise left I missed going to any Easter service. My point is, communication there could use some work. This was my third time in the Bahamas, and quite honestly, I probably won't go again. But if I did, this is where I would stay. Just make sure you're in vacation mode when you go, because everyone is on "island time"!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor oceanview and it was great!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sscheid
Hello sscheid,

Thank you so much for giving us such great feedback and rating us on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your vacation spending time at the pools and at Hammerheads Bar! I'm so sorry that water leaked into your room from the balcony. I'm also sad to hear you missed our Easter service. Overall, I really appreciate your feedback and I'll share this information with our staff. It was our pleasure to serve you and it's great to hear you had such a good time. Thanks again!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had an amazing vacation here at the beginning of April!
We were checked in immediately and had no wait at the front desk, although a woman who came on our flight was left waiting for a room that apparently hadn't been cleaned? (We arrived at 7pm)
The rooms were clean and well kept; cleaned and fresh towels every day in a timely manner. We stayed in an Island View room so the view wasn't spectacular but you got a nice peek at the market and marina over the trees. There was a nice mini fridge that we were able to use under our TV.
The beach was spectacular and HUGE compared to the Memories resort next door! Always lots of chairs out and rarely busy - it only got a bit busy when the cruise ships came in and people were waiting for rooms. Lots of people wandering up and down the beach offering hair braiding, tours, bracelets etc...but they were all very pleasant and took your first no as the final answer.
The pools were pretty and well kept but we didn't spend much time in them because the beach was spectacular. Lots of activities by the poolside in the afternoon for all ages!
Staff were absolutely lovely and SO friendly - LOVED Lily from Willy Broadleaf - she was an absolute hoot and SO welcoming.
We did the all inclusive package and it was somewhat disappointing; all restaurants are only open certain nights and you are only able to eat from a select menu (no seafood seemed to be the big thing). We got bored fairly quickly with the selection and most of the food was just ok. Churchill's was delicious but we had a pretty surly waitress who made the evening a bit of a drag. We tried a few restaurants in the market to get some variety and I would definitely spend more time eating there than at the resort next time! I have some dietary restrictions as well so it made it a bit tricky for me to find anything to eat on the menu.
My only complaint was that you never get to see the sunset! You can catch a sunrise if you get up early enough but I got up twice and it was too cloudy to see much of anything. We went out to a restaurant at the Marina to see a spectacular sunset!
We went on the Dolphin Swim with Unexso, Snorkelling with the Watersports tours and Horseback riding at Pinetree stables - all AMAZING excursions and highly reccomended.
Lots of wildlife - lizards, birds, crabs, etc...on and around the beach, very cool to see!
Would definitely come back here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rebekah101
Hi Rebekah101,

Thanks so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! It's great to hear you had such an amazing vacation and I'm so glad you experienced some of the excursions as well. I'd also like to thank you for your kind words about Lily, she is just a sweetheart! It saddens me to hear you found the all inclusive disappointing but I'm glad you enjoyed dining at Churchills. Next time, at any of our restaurants, be sure to inform your waiter about your dietary restrictions and we'll do our best to whip you up something up delicious! Thank you again for taking the time to write us and I really appreciate your feedback, I look forward to your next trip!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Although the resort was comfortable and had beautiful views from where we are stayed, the food was horrible. Expensive but quality of the food is poor. We ordered over 100 dollars worth of food and received frozen pizzas and frozen chicken. Nothing was fresh, not even the vegetables that came with the meals.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank PapayaMedicine
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hello PapayaMedicine,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I'm happy were comfortable and enjoyed the resort grounds but I'm so sorry you did not like the food you order through room service. I really appreciate your feedback.

East Aurora, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The pools, beach front and service were fantastic. Massages at the Spa were delightful. We were at the resort on day passes and ended up coming back 4 days in row. Staff was genuinely nice and helpful at all times. Especially Food and Bev manager Quentin R. who helped sort out our poolside cabana (which by the way is awesome and a great deal) . Lovely resort!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Brigid D
Hello Brigid,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so thrilled to hear you had such a fantastic time the first time, that you came back for more. Also, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your time at the spa. Lastly, thank you for your kind words about our food and beverage manger, Quentin, I'm please to hear he was able to help you book a pool side cabana. Again, thank you so much and I hope you'll visit us again some day. :-)