“Disorganized & Fair Service”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Naples, Florida
“Disorganized & Fair Service”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was here for a conference over the weekend. It is possible that the hotel does not know how to handle large crowds or groups, but they do have a large conference center that would suggest otherwise. We took the Celebration Cruise Ship as part of the group conference, which was like an old Ramada or Casino. I don't know how they make the cruise last as long as overnight, but somehow they manage. It is supposedly only 68 miles per the ads they kept showing on tv. Once we got to the Bahamas, we took a bus to the hotel. We waited over an hour to check in, and our hotel room was not ready for another 4 hours. I realized that we arrived early, but it did say that our rooms would be ready by 3 PM. It was actually 4:30 before it was ready.
Once we finally got to our room, we decided to take a swim in the pool. We ordered a cocktail and had just gotten in the pool, when they told us we had to get out of the pool because our American Express was declined. We stood in the lobby and called American Express immediately. Within 5 minutes they told us that the hotel had already had charges go through on our credit card and American Express had approved everything. Somehow the hotel, had confused our card and account with someone else's credit card. The hotel took well over an hour to figure this out, during which time we had to wait for them in the lobby. Afterwards, all we got was a half hearted - "I am sorry" from the desk manager.
Once we got that sorted out, we were able to somewhat enjoy the rest of the trip. The service is poor, and drinks and food are very expensive for what it is. We actually spent our honeymoon at very nice resorts in Hawaii, and I don't remember ever paying almost $40 for a Macallan 12 year glass of scotch.
Once we really lowered our expectations, we were able to enjoy the rest of our trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank anne4778
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello anne4778,

Thank you for taking the time to write us on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry that it took longer than expected to check in and get settled in your room. I would also like to apologize for all the confusion with your American Express card, I truly understand how frustrating that must have been for you. I can assure you that this is not something that happens often. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and I really appreciate your feedback.

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was there in August and it was not very busy. Hotel staff very pleasant. Our room was not overlooking the ocean but it was nice. Stocked refrigerator with very expensive candy that I would never pay that price for but at 2 in the morning I wanted chocolate so guess what? I bought snickers for the price of a small car. Meals were all very expensive and just mediocre. We did venture to the small downtown and had a pizza one night. When I return to the states and got my cc bill I was charged twice. I called the pizza restaurant and they took it off no questions. I found a Dunkin Donuts in the village which I was very happy about. The cream they serve is so dairy smelling I couldn't drink it. We did have a lot of fun riding the banana boat and parasailing. We also rode the glass bottom boat and we went to a clambake if you went on a TimeShare visit. We loved the hotel and the infinity pool. They offer many island excursions but beware of paying too much. Also don't leave anything valuable in your room. It didn't happen at this hotel but at another hotel a woman on one of our excursions had money stolen from her room. The money turned up after this woman flipped out on them. I heard her screaming on the phone to the hotel while we were on our tour. She told us the money was found after that. I think you have to be cautious anywhere you go, not just here. All in all it was fun and a great experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MassTraveler2013
Hello MassTravler2013,

Thank you for making the time to write us on TripAdvisor. It makes us smile knowing you had a fun time riding the banana boat and parasailing. Lastly, thank you for your kind words about our staff, I really appreciate it. I hope you can find the time to visit us again!

Rotterdam, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Hotel:The rooms were great and with breathtaking view. The many pools were great and the beach beautiful. The restaurants were overpriced and not very palatable. We also paid cash at one restaurant they charged us a second time on our room invoice...thank goodness I kept my receipt. The Casino was a nice addition.

Service:
The staff members were great! Even volunteering to get us fresh coconuts from the trees

The Island:
Unfortunately, aside from the small market place across from the hotel there isn't much else to see outside of the hotel. We ventured out there a couple of times for shopping, food, glass bottom boat tours and a stage with local performers. That was about it.

Great tip:
For about $116 US, we were able to get flights to Nassau and spent the day at Atlantis - amazing!

I highly recommend Lucaya if you plan on simply lounging on the beach. If you are looking for activities beyond that and the market place...Nassau island may be best.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank ann4401
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello ann4401,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you had a nice time here and enjoyed the beautiful view. Also, thank you for your kind words about our staff, I really appreciate your feedback. I hope you'll get the chance to visit us again sometime.

British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We attended from Canada near the end of April 2014 for 7 days at the Grand Lucayan Resort. Front counter attendance quite quick, met Megan Coakley who had the very modern" up raised hairdo, business pin striped suite and a very wide pleasant smile I have not seen in a long time! We had requested a upper floor with ocean view because of Trip Advisor reviews and pictures from travel sites. Megan at first said they did not have available king bed room but would talk to her manager. It was arranged got room 1036. Thank you also Mr.Pedro Miller guest services manager and a card I have for Mr.Roderick Colebrook rooms division. Megan Coakley also assisted us for information during the week concerning information material of resorts restaurants, what to do in area, departure times and conveniences. Megan's excellent communications with her staff, her willingness to assist me/us in every detail to make our stay wonder full, enjoyable, memorable from my supervisor experience of many years you should become a Head Manager! We had the almost "all Inclusive" package and sure glad we did as just would definitely not enjoyed our experience as much. The resort beach is very long, raked each am, very clean, soft and water very clear and no coral, pebbles to hurt feet. But I did step on a shell with sharp needles in the grass spotted area so stay away from that area. The resort very quiet, not many tourists, beach not crowed and lots of lounger chairs and you can go near or far away from people as two beach bars, two infinity pools(beautiful), two beach bars, and lots of sandy beach at the far end with a 50ft.lap pool. This is a area with a spa(too far from resort room building)a gym up stairs(some very rusted old treadmills, mine loose belt) but has enough machines and exercise ball room. Not much windows, close together machines. The Spa prices my wife felt are way to high cost per length of time. We have attended many (11)+ 5*resorts with spa's,(15)4-5*resorts in 10+countries and found this resort expensive in all restaurants and areas for what was available to us. Two have to remember our go to breakfast restaurant to see if open, or what three restaurants were open at times was a little frustrating. We do not like rushing out for breakfast as it closed at 1030am(buffet style). Willy Broadleaf(breakfast) was just okay to All Inclusive experienced as service at egg counter slow and lady never smiled even when given a tip and nothing said. Pans of potatoes when out I asked if any more she said she was busy with egg's. Fruit dishes many times empty and very standard restaurant. The décor very lacking on counters, felt we were sitting in a ware house as no ceiling and should have been painted brighter and a happier setting. Irisis Restaurant we found a usual long wait for drinks and food(one day 1hr.30min for a pizza did not eat)it.Another day waited for the right wine &food. We must say thou food was delicious and very hot! Thank you Manager Mr. Clayton Tucker for your pleasant communication and understanding and suggestion for return service to another restaurant. Churchill's Rest. was great! Wow! Michelin cooks! We have never tasted such delicious sauces and excellent prepared meals!! Here is a 35.00 cover charge, nice man and lady sang songs with music in the adjoining bar which we could hear while eating. China Beach restaurant we enjoyed the beautiful patio, ocean view and buffets, and menu's. Very beautiful setting area and lots of windows with inset locations. Reminded us of "White House Sandals resort, Jamaica. But we paid over 1,000plus dollars for almost Inclusive and still could not order the *menu food!! and would have had to pay another 25.00 ea. this is not good! We have not ever experienced this at 5* resorts with a "All Inclusive Plan" and with concierge service! China Grill near out side pool was great and nice waitresses. The Wed dinner out side on the grass, pool was the best experience we had out side and especially the "Gully Wash Cocanut drinks" and man making them. Great for pictures on resort! Bartender in evening at Havana Cay Lounge &Cigar Bar very great service and nice. Plantation Café not enough snacks, slow but had to use it many times as nothing in our room fridge not even water when arriving! Hammerheads beach bars good service, but people used to their own mugs, just poor the cup drinks into them your self(not like Mexico). Such a beautiful resort and location in Free Port but I found talking to resort working people they do not appreciate the 15% added on our bills or their people pools for their tips(some say only 2-3%? We gave to all 20% above the(15%) in cash as this is much more appreciated in all parts of the world for resort/restaurant service and seemed here also. This policy should be changed and you would get many more return customers. Most tourists I observed were adults. I did look at Memories Resort beach(right beside) which was very full and more children. We have excellent pictures for our Travel Agency Agents to see and read, but our room patio ocean view was the memories we will keep for ever. Thanks Megan.I will recommend this resort for adult couples, weddings, meetings and relaxing. SoftSand-13.

Room Tip: From 6 floor above palm trees to 10thfloor best view of ocean. Stay away from Memories Resort Pongo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank whitesand2travels
Hello softsand-13,

Thank you so much for a great review on TripAdvisor! I'd also like to thank you for your kind words about our staff. I'm so happy you enjoyed the soft and groomed beach. Also, I'm glad you liked the all-inclusive package. I'm so sorry you didn't care for Willy broadleaf breakfast buffet, most guests rave about their experience there. I'm so glad you felt differently about Iries, China Grill and especially Churchill's. Again, thank you so much for rating us, I really appreciate your feedback and hope you and your wife will visit us again sometime. :-)

West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Turquoise water, white sand, impeccable grounds with infinity pools and swim up bar. What more could you want? 3 sisters spent our annual get together here cruising on the Bahamas Celebration out of Palm Beach. We are at the buffet for lunch and it was just ok. But service was friendly and the grounds are kept up beautifully. There was a guy walking around with a trash bag picking up leaves as they blew off trees!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Lori B
Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you had a great time. Thanks again for your feedback.

Georgia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We booked this hotel through Luxury Link. Only complaint we have is about check-in. We had to wait for almost 3 hours before we got to our room! But, the room, all other service staff, location, weather, view and the people make you enjoy the vacation. If you want to forget about the work, issues at work, cold weather in the East Coast of the USA, this is the place to get to..just 70 miles away from Miami! Our one bedroom suite was very spacious, clean and very comfortable. The hotel is located just a few feet away from the beautiful beach. I am glad that I took this vacation offer from Luxury Link.

Room Tip: Get a one bedroom suite as it is more spacious. Select a room with sea-view and above floor 4.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank G2Travel
Hi G2Travel,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! First off, thank you for your patience at check-in. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your vacation and I really appreciate your kind words about our staff. Thank you so much for your feedback. I hope you'll visit us again sometime. :-)

Queens, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Visited here as part of a cruise deal. Initially , I was going to pay $79.00 for an excursion, however, upon doing a little research I found out I could pay for a 1 day pass for $15.00 to use the, resort. A taxi was 5.00 from the port each way. The taxi was very safe despite what we were told on the cruise. It was a 15 passenger van so many tourists were aboard. The market place was so so. There is also a free beach access within walking distance of the marketplace, so you really don't have to pay for the resort if you're goal is to get some sun. There is a restaurant on the beach with excellent food and drinks. There is also an opportunity for water excursions that are reasonably priced, about 25.00 per person. If you're looking for a beach day, this is a good choice.

• Stayed March 2014
Hello Sam,

Thank you so much rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you had a great time here during your day trip to Grand Bahama Island. I hope next time you can stay with us longer. :-) Thanks again!