I was here for a conference over the weekend. It is possible that the hotel does not know how to handle large crowds or groups, but they do have a large conference center that would suggest otherwise. We took the Celebration Cruise Ship as part of the group conference, which was like an old Ramada or Casino. I don't know how they make the cruise last as long as overnight, but somehow they manage. It is supposedly only 68 miles per the ads they kept showing on tv. Once we got to the Bahamas, we took a bus to the hotel. We waited over an hour to check in, and our hotel room was not ready for another 4 hours. I realized that we arrived early, but it did say that our rooms would be ready by 3 PM. It was actually 4:30 before it was ready.
Once we finally got to our room, we decided to take a swim in the pool. We ordered a cocktail and had just gotten in the pool, when they told us we had to get out of the pool because our American Express was declined. We stood in the lobby and called American Express immediately. Within 5 minutes they told us that the hotel had already had charges go through on our credit card and American Express had approved everything. Somehow the hotel, had confused our card and account with someone else's credit card. The hotel took well over an hour to figure this out, during which time we had to wait for them in the lobby. Afterwards, all we got was a half hearted - "I am sorry" from the desk manager.
Once we got that sorted out, we were able to somewhat enjoy the rest of the trip. The service is poor, and drinks and food are very expensive for what it is. We actually spent our honeymoon at very nice resorts in Hawaii, and I don't remember ever paying almost $40 for a Macallan 12 year glass of scotch.
Once we really lowered our expectations, we were able to enjoy the rest of our trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan is an elegant, serene AAA four-diamond resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. As part of Grand Lucayan Bahamas Beach & Golf Resort, this 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Radisson Freeport
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island