Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Dundee Bay Villas(Freeport)(Great Value!)
US$164
Orbitz.com
US$172
Hotels.com
US$220
US$198
Orbitz.com
Bell Channel Inn(Freeport)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$214
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
3,056 results
All reviewschina beachacross the streetbreakers cayocean viewinfinity poolcigar barall inclusive packagelighthouse pointcruise shipday passbeautiful resortgrand celebrationall inclusive planswim up barthe check in processbanana boatper person
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked our trip here through the hotel's website. They sent multiple emails with our total listed on the confirmation in the email. However when we went to check out of the hotel they added an additional $400 to our total. Which would not have been so bad if the vacation was enjoyable. This resort is in bad shape, they were constantly doing renovations during our stay and we had to move rooms one of the days because the banging was terrible. The food was nothing to brag about and they rent out their beach during the day to cruise ship guests. Making the beach filled with rowdy non-hotel guests. Everything on the island includes a 15% gratuity and the attitude of the staff was definitely that of someone who was guaranteed a tip no matter their behavior. All said I was really disappointed with the way we were nickel and dimed and we were in the end ripped off on the price we expected to pay. Do not go here without the understanding that they are taken advantage of their guests.

Room Tip: Don't go here. Go next door if you want to go to Freeport at all.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank mm6580
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hello mm6580,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. It saddens me to read you didn't have a pleasant experience while staying with us. Most guest describe the beach and our pools as a quiet and relaxing place, but I am sorry you felt so differently. I'd also like to apologize that some of our renovations distributed your stay, but I'm happy to hear we moved you to a different room away from the noise. Lastly, I'm so sorry if there was any confusion with your bill. If you'd like to talk with us about your bill please e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Thanks again for reaching out, I really appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Hello I recently Stayed at the Grand Lucayan, and i' ll say it was a six out of a ten. First of the room was nice but the view I had was horrible and the noise was really loud at night so I had to keep the door shut. Second on the beach there were only three umbrellas so if you didn't get up at the break of dawn you were out of luck. The drinks were watered down and the food was way to expensive for what you were getting in return. However my wife and I received a day pass to the hotel next door (Memories) And WOW it was like night and day all you can eat and drink yoga in the morning at the pool and great food more umbrellas on the beach, beautiful landscape we loved it !!! So the next time we visit Freeport that's where we are staying. Thank you

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank MILES L
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Hello Miles,

Thank you for taking the time to write us on TripAdvisor. First off, I'm glad you found your room to be nice but I'm sorry you didn't like your view and experienced some noise from outside with your doors open. However, I'm happy you and wife had a good time next door. Thanks again for reaching out, I really appreciate your feedback and will pass it along.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last week using a groupon deal. This resort exceeded all of our expectations! I stayed at a hotel across the street a few years ago and my experience wasn't half as good! We couldn't check in early but they have us towel cards right when we arrived so that we could hit the beach. We really appreciated this since we got in around 11 and check-in wasn't until 3.

We were surprised by the amount of available lounge chairs, there were plenty to go around and we never had to stake them out like at other resorts we've stayed at.

The grounds are extremely well maintained; they even take the seaweed off the beach!! It couldn't have been a nicer beach experience! We swam in the ocean most of the time because it was so beautiful but they had a few different pool options as well. It was fun to grab a drink at the swim up bar as well. Good prices too! ($6.50 or so for a cocktail at the pool bar...try the 'Our Lucaya Delight'!).

Everyone at the resort was very friendly and we loved everything about our stay except I would recommend steering clear of the food at china beach...not very good at all. The port lucaya marketplace is a 2 minute walk with lots of great, affordable options!

I highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to be back!

Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank ker144
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hello ker144,

Thank you so much for such a raving review! I'm so happy you had a fabulous stay and really enjoyed the beach. Also, thank you for your kind words about our staff. I'm sorry to hear you did not like the food at China Beach but I'm glad you enjoyed the other options. We can't wait for your return! Keep a look out on our website for special offers. :-)

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Standard hotel by Caribbean standards, very clean, reasonable quotient of amenities. Stops right there. The food is stunningly unappetizing, except for a very small number of specialty items available for extravagant amounts in the upscale restaurant on property. The staff are iffy -- some are pleasant enough, some are very friendly (because you're going to tip them), but most are indifferent or surly. You can walk into a town-like area near the resort and get an okay meal, which is what you should do. This place is for very old and very young people and couples with small kids. For the very young and the very old, it's a cheap place. For kids, it's cheaper than Disneyland. Double Beware: If you come here as part of a package or a convention/gathering, you will wait in line for longer than man has known of fire, and you will wonder if the resort has ever checked in more than one person per hour.

Room Tip: Beg, borrow and steal to get an ocean view room (they end in even numbers) if you're in the main hotel. The rooms on the other side overlook resort infrastructure and tennis courts, so you might as well be in Des Moines.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank FloridaIsland

Hello FloridaIsland,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. First off, I'm happy to hear you found the resort very clean and I hope you had time to take advantage of the amenities. I'm so sorry you didn't find the food favorable at any of the restaurants and that check-in took longer than expected. We try are best to have everyone in large groups settled into their guest rooms as quick as possible. Overall, I really appreciate you feedback. Thanks again for bring your points to our attention.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed at the Grand Lucayan 4/27-5/1. Upon arrival check in was a breeze. After reading all the reviews prior to my arrival I was worried about not having a room until later in the day. Stayed in room 1005 which has a partial ocean view and view of Memories hotel. Room was a standard hotel room with a bit outdated furniture but the bed was very comfortable. Shower and bathroom were clean and no mold issues. Only issue I had was with having bath towels after house keeping left. 2 times I had to call for towels to be brought up as there were none left.
The grounds are very well maintained and the pools are a bit cool but refreshing since the temperature was in the Mid 80's while we were there. Many pool areas to choose from. We choose to hang out at the pool that was to the extreme left of the resort. Waves bar and grill is there and this pool was much calmer then the pool by Hammerheads.

We were on the all incluisive plan which was nice but signing a piece of paper everytime you ordered something was a bit annoying. Meals were ok. We did not eat at Churchill's, didn't think the $35 upcharge was worth it. Ate poolside most days and the menu is a typical beach bar menu. Dinner we ate at Iries, and they had a limited menu for those of us on the all incluisive. Chocalate Cake for dessert was great!
The next night we ate at China Beach which I absolutely loved. Appeitizers were great as well as my meal. However while we were eating 2 other tables complained about their meals and I believed walked out. But in all I really enjoyed my experience at China Beach.

Upon check out I noticed I had charges on my bill for liquids but were taken off immediately since I was on the all inclusive plan. As a side not some of the bars wont let you have Bud Light or Miller Lite if you are on the all incluisive while the other bars allowed it. Thought it was strange but so be it.

I would love to return with my kids next time as they would love the pools and ocean.

Thanks Grand Lucayan for a nice relaxing getway!!!

Room Tip: 10th floor views were very nice
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bsmooth

Hello bsmooth,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to hear you had a relaxing getaway and that check-in was a breeze! It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself lounging by the pools. I'm also glad you really enjoyed China Beach and Iries restaurant. I couldn't agree with you more about the chocolate cake, it's to die for! Overall, I look forward to your return and hope your children enjoy the resort as much as you did! Just to let you know, on our website we are currently running a special where kids stay and eat free, so check it out when you get time. Thanks again for your feedback!