“Lighthouse Point at Grand Lucayan - Photos”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I recently stayed at Grand Lucayan in the Breakers. I was originally booked at Lighthouse Point but was unable to find photos online before my trip. Lighthouse Point photos online were very limited as to what it looked like outside, how close to ocean, etc. how far it was from the main hotel building, etc. While there I took these photos so others can see Lighthouse Point. Hope you enjoy.

Room Tip: Be sure to request your room oceanside - floors 7 or higher. Anything below that has a blocked view...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
123  Thank PeggySue610
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Hello PeggySue610,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us five stars on TripAdvisor and posting pictures. They look great!

-Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

There are newer reviews for Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed for two nights at the end of April after taking the Bahamas Celebration cruise shipt from FL (the ship wasn't bad either, fine for a single night of transport). We disembarked at 9am (earlier than our scheduled mass exodus from the ship) and decided to spend the $$ on a cab. I'm very glad we did because we were able to check in and get to the pool and relax until our room was ready at 3pm. We heard the horror stories of waiting in line to get your room. The hotel is clean and well maintained and the pools are beautiful, just as the beach is pristine. There are plenty of chaise lounges all around the pool area and plenty on the beach. There are only about 6 umbrellas on the beach, so you would have to stake that spot out early, but we had no trouble without it. The locals selling wares on the beach were kind and we wanted to patronize all of them.

We ate poolside both days and the food is tyipcal grill food. No complaints except being pricey, but that is to be expected on vacation, so we just enjoyed it. The drinks are surprisingly reasonable too. We spent one day at the main pool and one day by the Inifinity pool near the lighthouse. Both areas were great and relatively quiet. We did not find the cruise goers to be troubling on the beach or at the resort.

I paid extra for an oceanfront room on a high floor and this was well worth it. It was spectacular to wake up every morning to this view. We had a lovely balcony with chairs, comfortable beds, good AC, clean bathroom/shower. We slept very well as everything was quiet in our room. We really didn't do much else but relax by the pools and eat and drink, but this was the perfect place for it. We would definitely be back.

Be sure to check your bill - we did also find another charge, but this was removed and excused as an easy mistake with all the rooms being charged at the pools. We also took a cab back to the ship to ensure a longer pool day prior to boarding. No need to sit on that stuff boat with 1200 others when you could sit in front of the ocean with a seabreeze!

We ate one night at Rum Runners (great drinks) and one night at Flying Fish (excellent food). Both restaurants are a short walk across the street.

Room Tip: Splurge for oceanfront high floors.
16  Thank Valerie S
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Hello Valerie,

Thank you so much for writing us on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased to hear you had a great time staying with. It sounds like you had a very relaxing vacation hanging out by the pools. Thanks again, I look forward to your next visit. :-)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a nice place. If you are looking for a small personable place, this is not for you as there are LOTS of people everywhere. If you are looking for a clean place to stay, then read on. It is very clean, has a nice beach and pools, good restaurants on property, and is directly across the street from one of the Freeport marketplaces.

10  Thank langaha

Hi langaha,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you had a good time and appreciated the cleanliness of our resort. We wouldn't want it any other way. :-) I hope you'll visit us again sometime!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Helpful staff, well maintained resort. Clean rooms, late checkout available til 3 pm,
Food for breakfast good, buffet style. Best to cross the road to the many bars and restaurants, with "local" feel
Would definitely go back again

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room well worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Christopher T

Hello Christopher,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'd also like to thank you for your kind words about our staff. I'm happy you had such a good time and I hope you'll get the chance to return soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked our trip here through the hotel's website. They sent multiple emails with our total listed on the confirmation in the email. However when we went to check out of the hotel they added an additional $400 to our total. Which would not have been so bad if the vacation was enjoyable. This resort is in bad shape, they were constantly doing renovations during our stay and we had to move rooms one of the days because the banging was terrible. The food was nothing to brag about and they rent out their beach during the day to cruise ship guests. Making the beach filled with rowdy non-hotel guests. Everything on the island includes a 15% gratuity and the attitude of the staff was definitely that of someone who was guaranteed a tip no matter their behavior. All said I was really disappointed with the way we were nickel and dimed and we were in the end ripped off on the price we expected to pay. Do not go here without the understanding that they are taken advantage of their guests.

Room Tip: Don't go here. Go next door if you want to go to Freeport at all.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank mm6580
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hello mm6580,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. It saddens me to read you didn't have a pleasant experience while staying with us. Most guest describe the beach and our pools as a quiet and relaxing place, but I am sorry you felt so differently. I'd also like to apologize that some of our renovations distributed your stay, but I'm happy to hear we moved you to a different room away from the noise. Lastly, I'm so sorry if there was any confusion with your bill. If you'd like to talk with us about your bill please e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Thanks again for reaching out, I really appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Hello I recently Stayed at the Grand Lucayan, and i' ll say it was a six out of a ten. First of the room was nice but the view I had was horrible and the noise was really loud at night so I had to keep the door shut. Second on the beach there were only three umbrellas so if you didn't get up at the break of dawn you were out of luck. The drinks were watered down and the food was way to expensive for what you were getting in return. However my wife and I received a day pass to the hotel next door (Memories) And WOW it was like night and day all you can eat and drink yoga in the morning at the pool and great food more umbrellas on the beach, beautiful landscape we loved it !!! So the next time we visit Freeport that's where we are staying. Thank you

9  Thank MILES L
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Hello Miles,

Thank you for taking the time to write us on TripAdvisor. First off, I'm glad you found your room to be nice but I'm sorry you didn't like your view and experienced some noise from outside with your doors open. However, I'm happy you and wife had a good time next door. Thanks again for reaching out, I really appreciate your feedback and will pass it along.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last week using a groupon deal. This resort exceeded all of our expectations! I stayed at a hotel across the street a few years ago and my experience wasn't half as good! We couldn't check in early but they have us towel cards right when we arrived so that we could hit the beach. We really appreciated this since we got in around 11 and check-in wasn't until 3.

We were surprised by the amount of available lounge chairs, there were plenty to go around and we never had to stake them out like at other resorts we've stayed at.

The grounds are extremely well maintained; they even take the seaweed off the beach!! It couldn't have been a nicer beach experience! We swam in the ocean most of the time because it was so beautiful but they had a few different pool options as well. It was fun to grab a drink at the swim up bar as well. Good prices too! ($6.50 or so for a cocktail at the pool bar...try the 'Our Lucaya Delight'!).

Everyone at the resort was very friendly and we loved everything about our stay except I would recommend steering clear of the food at china beach...not very good at all. The port lucaya marketplace is a 2 minute walk with lots of great, affordable options!

I highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to be back!

Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank ker144
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hello ker144,

Thank you so much for such a raving review! I'm so happy you had a fabulous stay and really enjoyed the beach. Also, thank you for your kind words about our staff. I'm sorry to hear you did not like the food at China Beach but I'm glad you enjoyed the other options. We can't wait for your return! Keep a look out on our website for special offers. :-)

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!