“Wonderful view and endless ocean”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Baltimore
“Wonderful view and endless ocean”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Even with the wonderful ocean view from the main bldg, and having to waiting 3 1/2 hrs for our room( check in 3 pm). I was so happy to see the beautiful ocean view room, we were on the fourth floor and it was just perfect. The pictures from the website are real. The only bad parts they ran out of Face towels, local snack areas only take credit cards or charge to your room, bathroom may need a few upgrades from the oxidation (door hinge, corner mirror rusting). The beach is beautiful, but they need to add more palm tree umbrellas. So you have to get their early if you want one. Plenty of chaise lounges around the pool areas. The staff was friendly, just make sure you have plenty of cash for tips and activities. We enjoyed the bonfire that took place on Sunday at the offsite location. We visit the market across the street where bottle water and can pops were cheaper. Many nice places to eat. Our last day we did get the all you can eat breakfast buffet at the hotel, for $13.95 per person, it was worth it. We will be back again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Obderil
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hi Obderil,

Thank you so for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor! I am very happy to read that you were pleased with your ocean view room after checking in. I am also pleased to know that you plan on coming back and staying with us again. I really appreciate all of your feedback and will take all of it into consideration. We looking forward to having you back soon!

-Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
Clayton, NC
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I visited and viewed this resort and it was absolutely fabulous! This is a must visit resort for those who love an-all-inclusive and top rated resort! The food in their restaurants was excellent. Their beach and pools were clean and their staff were professional and helpful. The internet service was great especially since I had a couple of hours of work to complete along with an online conference.

Room Tip: Memories service and accommodations met our every need! Memories and the resort next door, the Gr...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M Markell M
Hi M Markell M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. I am very pleased to read that you found our resort fabulous and the food excellent. I am also very happy to know that you found the staff helpful. We certainly hope you come back for another visit.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our family of 4 (2 young teenagers-12 and 15) spent a week at the Grand Lucayan resort in June. Overall a great vacation! The staff was friendly, accommodating, food was great, and the beach and view from our balcony was amazing. Very relaxing place with lots to do to keep the kids happy.
The good:
1. Oceanfront 1 bedroom suite was perfect for our family (we had rollaways brought in for the kids). Lots of room and we didn't feel overcrowded! The balcony was HUGE and the view was amazing.
2. Resort property was really big with lots of quiet spots & pools. Resort is very clean and well maintained.
3. Loved the convenience of the market across the street. Very safe and lots of off-property places to eat.
4. The food. We did not expect the food to be so good. Lunch was really good & ingredients very fresh. The fish fry was great & worth the price. I would love the recipe for that jerk chicken!
5. Had a good massage at the spa which was reasonably priced. Massage room seemed a little cramped but spa and gym were nice.

A minor note:
More pool service & faster bar service would be great! Very friendly staff but demand at the pool bar was high (world cup fun!).

Room Tip: For a family, the oceanfront 1 bedroom suite was worth it! We were on the 8th floor of building 6 an...
Hi Bish330,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. I am very pleased to read that you found our staff very friendly and accommodating. I am also pleased to read that the food was great during your stay and you enjoyed the beach and view from your balcony. Thank you for bringing the speed of service at the pool to my attention. I really appreciate all of your feedback and look forward to you staying with us again.

Oak Island, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The Grand Lucayan Resort is a fabulous, beautifully landscaped resort located on a pristine white sand beach with beautiful aqua-green crystal clear water. We came here previously as cruise ship passengers visiting the resort with day passes, and loved the resort so much that this year we just decided to skip the cruise and fly here for 6 nights. We found some minor con's but overall, this place is paradise!!!

The Pro's
We arrived at 2:41 PM on a Thursday and there was only one couple ahead of us in line. We were promptly given Room #802 by a very nice and lovely lady behind the front desk named Megan, and then Shelton with the bell service took our luggage and us up to our room. The room was very nice with a 40 Inch flatscreen TV and a beautiful view of the ocean. We also had a view of the resort Memories, which was right next door. The TV has free HBO and Showtime, with 55 channels including 2 Chinese, 1 Spanish, 1 French, 1 German, and 1 Italian. We were very pleased. We did not experience the 1 hour wait or were given a pager that others have said they experienced.

Two very large pools on the property, one is a serpentine pool with a swim up/walk up bar with reasonably priced drinks next to it. The other pool is an infinity pool. Both pools have jacuzzi hot tubs adjacent to them. The property has several hammocks scattered underneath the numerous palm trees, and there are just loads and loads of lounge chairs to choose from, there is never a problem getting a lounger anytime of the day. Ping pong tables and foosball games are also found here and there. There is also shuffleboard and an over sized chess set to play, if you wish.

The air conditioning in the room worked great. It can be set on auto, or has 3 speeds, low, med, and high. We set it on high one day and came back to a refrigerator! The air goes off when you open the sliding glass door, so just don't leave the door open and you'll be alright. Oh, the sliding glass door is a little heavy to push, but nothing we couldn't handle.

The prices at the restaurants in the resort are very high! But the good news is that right across the street at the Lucayan Marketplace, there are great places to eat at very reasonable prices. It is just a short walk over there. We recommend Cafe Breeze, Le Med, and Zorba's. Also, for one lunch, walk facing the beach to the right until you pass Memories and try Billy Joe's on the Beach. It is great food with a great view and good people working there . We did eat at the resort restaurant, Willy Broadleaf, the last morning because of time restrains, and it was very good. It is a buffet breakfast for $15 per person and wasn't bad. We would have gone over to Cafe Breeze for about half that price though if we had the time. The Marketplace also has shopping. All the shops have the same thing at the same prices, so it really doesn't matter where you buy it. If you see something you want, buy it. We tried to haggle but my wife doesn't haggle real well when she wants something....

The Con's
These are just the con's that we experienced. You may not experience them.
No hot water for showers! The water was only warm, and how warm depended on what time you were taking your shower and, I guess, how many others were taking showers too.

There was a live band every night from the bandstand at the resort (Memories) next door from about 8 or 9 til about 11 or 12. We were in Room 802, which is at the very end of the resort and closest to the Memories resort, and even with the sliding glass door closed we could still hear that "boom boom boom, boom boom boom" of the bass. My wife took her Ambien and I took 2 Advil PM's, so we were really Ok with it. On hindsight, I wish I would have asked to change rooms after the first night.

There are two jacuzzi hot tubs at the resort, but neither of them worked. I went up to the front desk 3 days in a row to report this. Each time they acted surprised and said they would get right on it, but they were both still broken the day we left. I know it's a minor thing, but I was looking forward to sitting in one of those jacuzzis and having those jets relax my muscles all day long. But I had a beautiful pool and gorgeous ocean to get into, so I wasn't too disappointed!

Timeshare Sharks!!! When you walk across the street from the hotel to the Lucayan Marketplace to shop or eat, you must walk through this alleyway between the Lucayan Resort and Memories, and waiting for you on the benches are the time share sharks. They are like real sharks, sometimes when you say no they go away, sometimes they don't go away.They are trying to invite you to a "free" breakfast, and we all know what that means!!! From the first day I told them that we were leaving the next day, even though we weren't, and that seemed to stop them. They weren't real bad, just very annoying.

Small thing, the sheets are not fitted sheets and keep coming off the bed if you move at all. On a good note, the mattress is a BeautyRest and was wonderful to sleep on.

This one is a personal observation. There is plenty of shade at the pools, but only 6 palapas for shade on beach, which are first come, first serve. With a resort as nice as the Grand Lucayan, I wish they would invest in a few more of them for shade on the beach. 6 more would be great!

No fan in the bathroom, but no hot water either, so I guess that doesn't matter!!!

And lastly, they are stingy with hand towels and wash cloths. Two days in a row they did not leave us either. I usually tip at the end of the trip for great service received, but I guess I should have tipped at the beginning this time! Oh well, my wife just used a big towel, no big deal.

That's it. Just to let you know, the convenience store in the resort which is located next to the coffee shop, and the breakfast restaurant Willy Broadleaf takes cash, but the coffee shop and the swim up/walk up bar does not. They only take you charging it to your room or you must use a credit card there. Weird! I think all of them should take cash. It just would make sense to me.

Oh, and a special tip. If you get tired of the music and drinking at the bar, walk all the way to the left as you are facing the ocean to the infinity pool for a quiet time. Hardly anyone there and the beach and water are just as pretty, if not prettier, as the beach on the other side. We spend a lot of time over there when we got tired of people watching.

Well, that's our review. I hope it helped some of you decide. We thought this was a fantastic resort. We had a great time and are already thinking about coming back next year.

4 Thank Dan_N_NC
Hello Dan_N_NC,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. It makes me very happy to read that you chose to stay with us after visiting our resort with a day pass on a previous trip. I am also happy knowing that you found the resort fabulous and beautifully landscaped. I really appreciate all of your feedback and will take all of it into consideration. We are looking forward to having you come back and stay with us.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Arrived a few hours ago. We're told the room won't be available until 3p. Ok, cool. We head to the pool bar while we wait. The bartenders are exasperated and aren't pleasant. We tip $10 for the first round, and the bartenders cheer up. Check in again at 3:15 and hotel clerk interrupts me to say rooms are still unavailable. Our friends, who arrived 2 hrs after we did, are already in their room. We're getting a free "upgrade" to a room with fewer amenities than we reserved. Hopefully the remainder of the trip will be worthwhile. So far the service and amenities are very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Bahamamama1234
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hello Bahamamama,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that you experienced complications while checking in. I appreciate all of your feedback and I hope that the checkin process does not affect the rest of your tip.

Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This review is written before even checking in to the hotel. I'm on a 'cruise and stay' trip, and the slowness of this hotel makes my holiday everything but relaxing. We expected to wait when we got here at ten, but as we were one of the first to arrive the hotel, we expected our beeper to be one of the first to go off ( yes, you do not get to check in the normal way when you're on a cruise and stay, you get sent to a ballroom to not 'interrupt' the other guests, and given a beeper. However, there's no first come, first serve policy) . So, we wait...... And wait.... For the room, for a coffee, for a sandwich... This is the slowest service I've ever experienced, and I've been around... So at three ( regular check in time) our beeper is still not beeping, but they told us that if we haven't gotten the signal by then, we should come to the front desk to check in. Now it is 15.35, a hundred people in line for the slowest check in I've ever seen ( even if we did the ground work when we got the beepers)... That's why I' slaughtering this hotel even before checking in. Now we're going for Bahamas mama's ( in the hotel next door) to get rid of some of the frustration. This is insane!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Farende2014
Hello Farende2014,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. I would like to personally apologize for all the issues you experienced while checking in and I appreciate all of your feedback. I really do hope the rest of your trip was more enjoyable.

So. Cali
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We're here now and we're loving it. Great areas to hang out and different things to do. Ping pong, foosball, infinity pool, swim up bar, great beach, clean hotel, great service....what more can you ask for.

I left our camera on the plane, went down to the front desk to get a cab to go back to the airport to pick it up. The lady at the front desk suggesting calling the airport, having delta put it in a cab and sending it here so that I only have to pay a cab one way instead of 2. Nice was to save $22. After an hour or so of it not being here, she called the taxi union to find out the status and kept on them until it arrived.She was great.

Walking around the property, everyone is so friendly. The grounds are well kept and easy to navigate. The marketplace across the street, gives you more choices for food and drinks.

Would definitely recommend someone to stay here.

Room Tip: Ocean view room well worth the extra money. However, the other side of the building has a great vie...
1 Thank ryansmom03
Hi ryansmom03,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our great beach, cleanliness of the hotel, the service and found everyone friendly. I hope to have you stay with us agin soon.